PDA

View Full Version : Magic, Memories and You & my jaw

Goofy4TheWorld
09-25-2011, 05:29 PM
After hearing one the Podcast members talk about how the Magic, Memories and You show took them by surprise, I decided to give it a peek on YouTube.

:jaw:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbb

Sorry, my jaw landed on the keyboard!

I am sure that I am missing a big piece of the show because I can’t see the pictures being shown, but looking at just what they did to the Castle was enough to leave me tingling with excitement. If all of the projects under way (AofA, FLE, Avatar) come out as shockingly well as this show did then I think the next several years will reveal some wonderful treats at WDW.

Just wanted to throw in my :twocents:.

SpecJoe Magic
09-25-2011, 05:56 PM
I haven't seen it in person either, but I've heard very positive reports from everyone that has seen it. I have a feeling that the YouTube video doesn't do it justice. I hope they keep it around for a long time, so that I, along with many others, get an opportunity to see it.

celebrationasheley
09-25-2011, 06:19 PM
The Wishes pre show is the best light show I have ever seen. I have seen illuminations over 100 times, and fantasmic is one of those you can miss if the crowd gets very large. But this show is amazing.
I have seen it a few times now and I highly recommend seeing it in the hub. Get a head on view of the castle. I get goosebumps when thinking about this.

But....
If this show is at the same time that the park closes, be prepared. Leaving the park reminds me of the number of guests that are in the park on NYE. Sardines. And we went when all the rides were 5 min or less.
There is no crowd control. It is a huge mess. We went all the way to the monorail for the TTTC and the line looked like I was going to be on the 10th one, so I just walked to Contemporary and we were the next one. :)

All in all: This show is brand new. It is about time there was a show that gives illuminations some competition. AMAZING!

Melanie
09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I remember us discussing this on the podcast. I totally was against it when it was announced, and couldn't believe how incredible it was when I saw it. It's amazing! It's been running for almost 9 months now, and it was recently announced it will run through 2012. Don't miss it!! :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
09-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I had zero interest in this when it was first announced. I remember thinking "how lame". After hearing lots of positive reviews I decided that maybe I should see for myself.

In March my entire family was blown away by this show. DH is not the huge Disney freak that I am and even he thought it was amazing. We kept saying all night that this is, by far, the first new thing that Disney has done that's knocked out socks off in a very long time.

I hope this "show" stays around for a very long time, 2012 is not long enough in my opinion. Its such a wonderful addition to MK's nightly lineup.

Gator
09-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I was just standing around with my family waiting for Wishes. We got there early to have a good seat. And the MM&Y came on. WOW! It was just amazing. I came back to MK twice on that trip just to see that show. So cool.

I've read in other posts that some people thought it wasn't creative at all. They're clearly in that "Disney can't imagine anything at all" group who decided long ago to criticize everything that's new at WDW.

MNNHFLTX
09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
This show is an absolute delight! Can't wait to see it again next month!

Disdad13
09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
We were just there the beginning of the month, and were thoroughly impressed by the show. Reading about it and seeing it on YouTube do NOT do it justice. I think it's terrific, and hope they keep it for a while.

tennantsrwe
09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
We're heading down in early December and are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to see the projection show. We, too, watched it on youtube and can't wait to see it in person. Gotta admit I may have gotten a lil misty eyed watching it the first time..shh don't tell!! :secret:

Goofy4TheWorld
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
A poster in another thread posed the question of how the Castle Lights during Christmas were going to affect this show's projections and that left me wondering the same thing.

davidh
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't think the Holiday lights will cause a problem for the show.
The lights would be (obviously) shut off and the wiring is designed to be subtle and unobtrusive. The wiring is tinted to match the surface that it adorns. Even in full daylight, though they are visible, they don't detract (too much) from the overall look.

I don't think the wires would cause any more issue for the projections than the "stonework" that is already part of the castle.

D

EpcotChic23
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
This show is amazing. I will be the first to admit it when it was announced I was not excited BUT when I saw it, it brought tears to my eyes. Amazing Amazing Amazing show!!!

BeccaO
09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
I watched a clip of this on youtube and was totally amazed!!! I can't wait until January to see it for the 1st time!!

TheHD
09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Question to those who've seen it; does the show display the same "memories" each time or does that change on a daily basis?

It looks amazing and I'll have to check it out on my next trip in November.

jnfr2424
09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I went on a solo trip in June and made sure I caught the show - PP are correct you tube does not do it any justice. The gasp from the audience is proof that this is an amazing, not to be missed show. It's supposedly different memories but there is so much to see you really can't tell if its the same or not.

PopPhan
09-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Just saw this 'show' for the first time in person last week and both my wife and I were amazed! It is truly something to behold in person!

We hope that this becomes a permanent fixture for the fireworks pre-show, even after the current 'theme' goes away!

Question to those who've seen it; does the show display the same "memories" each time or does that change on a daily basis?

The photos that are shown are mainly from the Photopass pictures taken throughout the parks ON THAT DAY!! There are some archival photos of Walt Disney, some of the characters from Disney movies, and such, but the main mosaic changes on a daily basis.

crltkcagle
09-26-2011, 09:50 PM
I agree it is completely amazing! Who else but Disney could make pirates sword fight on the castle! OR make it turn into a spaceship and take off! Its truly awesome!

Melanie
09-26-2011, 10:02 PM
OR make it turn into a spaceship and take off! Its truly awesome!

That's definitely my favorite part!

buzznwoodysmom
09-26-2011, 11:14 PM
That's definitely my favorite part!

Mine too!!!

My second favorite part was when the little girl blows out the candles on a cake and the castle looks like its been blown out. Love that part!

BrerGnat
09-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't think the Holiday lights will cause a problem for the show.
The lights would be (obviously) shut off and the wiring is designed to be subtle and unobtrusive. The wiring is tinted to match the surface that it adorns. Even in full daylight, though they are visible, they don't detract (too much) from the overall look.

I don't think the wires would cause any more issue for the projections than the "stonework" that is already part of the castle.

D

I don't think the wiring would be the problem, I think the actual LIGHTS will be the problem. The lights cover almost every surface of the castle. In order for a projection to work, the surface needs to be somewhat flat. Having a bunch of lights up would cause a problem, I think.

If they are actually going to keep the show going, I really do wonder how that will work.

Aurora
09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm another person who went "meh" when they first announced the show. Then I saw it (by accident, I must admit, on the way to meeting family members for Wishes), and I was blown away. There were many times during the show when my sister and I looked at each other and said, "Did you see that?"

I also hope they keep the show after the current theme is over. It's deserving of a very long run.

davidh
09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't think the wiring would be the problem, I think the actual LIGHTS will be the problem. The lights cover almost every surface of the castle. In order for a projection to work, the surface needs to be somewhat flat. Having a bunch of lights up would cause a problem, I think.

If they are actually going to keep the show going, I really do wonder how that will work.

The lights used are very small. Additionally they are clear glass. I wish I had a photo to link to of the castle in daylight with the lights attached. You can see them, but the wires are the most noticeable part not the bulbs themselves. Yes, when the lights are on at night, all you can see are the bulbs, but these are not the conditions that would be in place. The better comparison is how it looks in daylight to see how "smooth" the surface is. The regular castle is not that smooth anyway.

Goes4FastPass
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm all for having a great multi-media pre-show before Wishes but I hope (here he goes again) some bean-counter doesn't eventually decide to phase out fireworks entirely and replace them with an LED/projection all technology no boom-boom alternative that any single park technician can run twice a night 365 days a year simply by pressing 'play'.

For me, fireworks over the castle is the iconic Walt Disney World image. How iconic is it? Every Walt Disney PIctures feature begins with it.

mickey&missy
10-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I couldn't agree more!!! I was totally not into it when it was first announced but after seeing it for myself I was soooooo surprised!! It's FABULOUS!!!! I can't wait to see it again!

LudwigVonDrake
10-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I saw it in July and it is one of the best things I've ever seen. I was awed by what they were able to pull off.

mrmcgiv
10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
It was very impressive! I would add it to the must see list!

LauraByTheSea
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Not sure how I missed this one, :confused: so I just took a look on YouTube... WHOA. Cried my way through the video, can't wait to see it in person! :D

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Not sure how I missed this one, :confused: so I just took a look on YouTube... WHOA. Cried my way through the video, can't wait to see it in person! :D

I'm sooooooo glad I'm not the only crier in the "virtual audience".

I remember reading about this and forgetting almost instantly about it. Now I'm off to check the schedule for next week to put it on "the spreadsheet". :thumbsup:

MyDisneyworld
10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Just watched on Youtube and it's amazing, will be there in one week to see in person. :party:

LauraByTheSea
10-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm sooooooo glad I'm not the only crier in the "virtual audience".

I remember reading about this and forgetting almost instantly about it. Now I'm off to check the schedule for next week to put it on "the spreadsheet". :thumbsup:

I have a spreadsheet too! LOL :thumbsup:

Sylvia
10-07-2011, 12:15 PM
I caught it by accident a couple of weeks ago. I decided it was a great time to try another feature on my new iPhone, so I tried recording it. I, too, got all teary-eyed when I watched the show in person. I have to admit, watching the recording on my iPhone also gets me choked up. The special effects are truly amazing. Disney at its best!!!:thumbsup:

TheVBs
10-08-2011, 10:33 AM
We saw it for the first time on this trip we just returned from and we were floored!! It was so much more than I was expecting.