PDA

View Full Version : Really old ticket useable?

NYCJoshua
09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
I was packing up my stuff at my parent's house and I found a really old ticket at my parent's house. It was from back when they stamped the four day pass. The dates were stamped August 1991 (my birthday, actually, 20 years ago.) A four day ticket was $111, lol.

I have one day out of four that isn't stamped. Is it still useable?

MickeysBestPal
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I was packing up my stuff at my parent's house and I found a really old ticket at my parent's house. It was from back when they stamped the four day pass. The dates were stamped August 1991 (my birthday, actually, 20 years ago.) A four day ticket was $111, lol.

I have one day out of four that isn't stamped. Is it still useable?

Should be.
You can use it as a one-day ticket, and it is also a "hopper."

minnie04
09-20-2011, 04:12 PM
call and see. Cant hurt :mickey:

Main Street Jim
09-20-2011, 04:34 PM
If it's one of the old "World Passports" (park hopper type), it'll be good at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios, as those three parks were open in 1991. You will not be able to use it at Animal Kingdom.

Bring it to the park's Guest Relations window outside of each park to get it updated to the new-style (biometric) park ticket. I also recall that you will have to pay the difference between the original price and a current adult ticket price.

MickeysBestPal
09-20-2011, 05:42 PM
If it's one of the old "World Passports" (park hopper type), it'll be good at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios, as those three parks were open in 1991.

1- You will not be able to use it at Animal Kingdom.

Bring it to the park's Guest Relations window outside of each park to get it updated to the new-style (biometric) park ticket.

2- I also recall that you will have to pay the difference between the original price and a current adult ticket price.

1- That restriction no longer applies (if it ever did with DAK.)
The ticket will be good to hop to any of the 4 theme parks.

2- You will not have to pay anything at all extra to get a new ticket with the same assets as your old one.

Main Street Jim
09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
1- That restriction no longer applies (if it ever did with DAK.) The ticket will be good to hop to any of the 4 theme parks.
Only if the original ticket had "park hopping" privileges on it. And yes, this policy applied to *any* theme park that was purchased prior to another theme park opening - at least it did when I last worked at Magic Kingdom (last year).

2- You will not have to pay anything at all extra to get a new ticket with the same assets as your old one.Again, at least when I was working there, guests had to pay the difference between their original ticket and the cost of the new "biometric" type tickets.

Example: you have an old, adult ticket from....1978...that was purchased at...say, $25.00. That ticket, in order to be used today, would need to be "upgraded" to a current-style ticket. Adult tickets are now, what, $87.00 or something like that? So you would need to pay an additional $62.00 just to make it a current, one-day, one-park ticket - and it would only be good at Magic Kingdom, since that was the only park open in 1978. And that's just for one park, one day. To add a park hopper option to it, you would need to pay the additional cost (what is it now, like $52.00 or something?).

MickeysBestPal
09-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Only if the original ticket had "park hopping" privileges on it. And yes, this policy applied to *any* theme park that was purchased prior to another theme park opening - at least it did when I last worked at Magic Kingdom (last year).

Sorry, that's just not true.
It was a "rule" that was in force for the first few months of the opening of a new park, but that stipulation would be long gone for even DAK.

MickeysBestPal
09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Example: you have an old, adult ticket from....1978...that was purchased at...say, $25.00. That ticket, in order to be used today, would need to be "upgraded" to a current-style ticket.

Disney does not charge extra for use of an older ticket.

Old tickets that did not expire can be used "forever" for the purpose they were intended, but they cannot be upgraded or modified.

They will, however, issue a new "current style" ticket (with the same assets as the old ticket) with a magnetic stripe (for use at the current gates and FP machines) at no charge.

MickeysBestPal
09-20-2011, 11:01 PM
at least when I was working there, guests had to pay the difference between their original ticket and the cost of the new "biometric" type tickets.

That would only come into play if a guest only had an old "ride ticket book" (A thru D, or A thru E ride tickets.)

If a guest has an old park admission ticket, he could use it to enter a theme park (it would be upgraded for free to a current style ticket with a mag-stripe.)

John
09-21-2011, 12:49 AM
MickeysBestPal is correct - Disney does not charge for using the old ticket as it was originaly intended. Just stop by GR and they will take care of it for you and give you a current ticket you can use.

JROriole8Fan
09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Since you said lol after the $111 cost, I'll assume you think that is cheap. Interesting, if you inflate that cost 4% annually, it equates the $243, which is the exact cost of a current 4 day non-hopper pass. So, I guess things weren't that cheap back then, or they are not so expensive now!

NYCJoshua
09-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, but it was automatically a park hopper, they didn't screw the customer back then.

PETE FROM NYC
09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
In 2009, we used a load of the old style ticket media, as was the rule when purchased, they were all non-expiring park hoppers. All we had to do was bring them to Guest Relations to get them converted to present day type tickets. There was no charge, and we still had the non-expiring, hopper privledges. As a matter of fact, we used some days up in 2009, and finished up the leftover days in 2010.
I still have two brand new, unused pre-MGM opening gold commerative tickets, and the black envelopes they came in. I don't know if, or when we will be using them because they may become valuable collectors items.

K8screen
09-22-2011, 06:14 AM
I still have two brand new, unused pre-MGM opening gold commerative tickets, and the black envelopes they came in. I don't know if, or when we will be using them because they may become valuable collectors items.
Could you use the tickets, and then keep them as collectibles? I cant remember if they take the tickets off you when you use them for the final day, I havent been to WDW for a while :sad: but if you have to trade them in I suppose you would lose them, unless they can somehow cancel them and give them back as souvenirs.

MickeysBestPal
09-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Could you use the tickets, and then keep them as collectibles?

It's very possible.

if you have to trade them in I suppose you would lose them, unless they can somehow cancel them and give them back as souvenirs.

That is quite possible.
They do not need to keep your old tickets in order to issue new ones.
Sometimes they WILL want to keep your old tix during the "trade-in," but you can always ASK before the transaction and you might just be allowed to keep your collector's item old tix, AND get issued new passes to use at the park.

CleveRocks
09-23-2011, 03:48 PM
If you're going into Disney parks four or more days during your next trip, then DON'T use that old ticket, as you'll get very very little monetary value for it.

The price difference between a 3-day ticket and a 4-day ticket is roughly $11. And for each additional day (Days 5 through 10) it's only about $8 extra per day.

In other words, if you're going to parks for 4 days, buying a 4-day ticket will cost you only about $11 more than buying a 3-day ticket plus using your old ticket.

For 11 bucks, it might be a nifty souvenir. Or, there could be a time somewhere in the future when you'd want to go to Disney parks only one or two or three times per trip ... in THOSE cases, it would make financial sense to use the old ticket.

Aurora
09-23-2011, 06:32 PM
If you're going into Disney parks four or more days during your next trip, then DON'T use that old ticket, as you'll get very very little monetary value for it.

The price difference between a 3-day ticket and a 4-day ticket is roughly $11. And for each additional day (Days 5 through 10) it's only about $8 extra per day.

In other words, if you're going to parks for 4 days, buying a 4-day ticket will cost you only about $11 more than buying a 3-day ticket plus using your old ticket.

For 11 bucks, it might be a nifty souvenir. Or, there could be a time somewhere in the future when you'd want to go to Disney parks only one or two or three times per trip ... in THOSE cases, it would make financial sense to use the old ticket.

CleveRocks is right! If there's ever a chance of you only having a couple of days in the parks, this ticket will be worth WAY more in that case.

For example, say you are taking a long weekend trip but you want to spend one day at Universal. You're only planning to be in Disney parks for two days. A 1-day ticket is $85; 2 days is $168, so that old ticket is worth $83 in this case.

If you're ever planning a 3-day parks visit, that 3rd day is worth $64.

As CleveRocks says above, once you hit the 4th day, the value of that ticket is only $11, and goes down from there.

Buttercup
09-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes, I can't see them charging you the difference between a 1991 ticket to today's prices because those old passes were considered "non-expiring" forever.
If they were charging the difference on old passes, then why bother purchasing "non-expiring" passes nowadays if you're still going to have to pay the difference.
It's my understanding that they'll just need to transfer it to a current park-hopper ticket (that can be used in fast pass machines and at the front gates) and you're good to go.