PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage 9/20/11?

Carolanne
09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey all, I haven’t posted in a while, I’ve been a little busy with a new baby :) I'm not sure where to post this, so: my mom just arrived at WDW Port Orleans and can’t get ANYTHING. No park passes, no dining plan, can’t get into her room until after 5:00 PM, all due to a power outage that she claims is resort-wide. Regarding the dining plan, she was told to pay for her meals & she would be credited accordingly. So far she’s been given a complimentary one day pass for the “inconvenience”.

Anyone hear about a power outage down there? I can't find any news about it online.

Thanks!

Ms. Mode
09-20-2011, 02:56 PM
WOW! I haven't seen anything about it...yet.
Keep us posted, please.

Brings to mind the question: What would you do if the power is off while you're at WDW?

Auntie B
09-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Just keep swimming!!!:mickey:

disneymom15
09-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Just keep swimming!!!:mickey:

Good answer:thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
09-20-2011, 03:40 PM
I just spoke with my husband, who is in the Orlando area. They've had some thunderstorms moving through, so that might be the cause.

Carolanne
09-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Let's just that mom is/was not pleased. While I'm jealous I'm not down there with her, I'm glad I'm not there to experience this.

She said it seems like it's back in some places. Right now it's raining, and of course she picked today to wear a white shirt :blush:.

Hmm, what would I do if the power were off while I was in WDW...well, if the stores were still accessible, I'd browse the stores. If the parks were accessible, I'd probably go to EPCOT and explore the World Showcase a little more. The World Showcase is my absolute favorite, yet I tend to breeze through it without really looking. I tend to go to my favorites.

Niecyboo
09-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this! Tell your Mom if she has any problems with getting a refund for her dining or any other issues, just let me know. She can email me, you can email me or either one can give me a call. Let me know if you don't have my phone number on hand and I will get it to you.

Checkers
09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Congratulations on the new baby!

I am surprised that they don't have generators all over the place. Sorry your mom has to go through this, too. Wow, I'll bet everything is really warm (restaurants, rooms, etc.) without the a/c running! Keep us posted on what happens.

Carolanne
09-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Niecyboo, you rock! Thank you, I'll let my mom know!

Just one more example of why Magical Journeys is awesome :)

MNNHFLTX
09-21-2011, 02:21 PM
How long was the power off?

ToraTory
09-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I was there on the 20th and was switching resorts so I could add one more day :) It wasn't a power outage but a computer issue. Everything went down as far as room reservations and inforamtion being read on the key cards (aka tickets and dining plan). We tried to get our room at ASM around noon but when we tried to check in we were told that the computers were down and they could not see any reservations. They wrote down our information and said they would call us when the computers came back up. We road the monorail for a while and had lunch and by the time we came back around 3 pm, everything was fine and we were able to get our room fine.

I guess different resorts were handling the problem in different ways as the people next to us were also trying to get their room and their room included park passes. Since the computers were down they could not get their room key or their passes. Since the guests had a copy of their reservation they were given one day passes (the paper kind) so they could still go in the parks and then return later.

When we went to the food court none of the room keys with the dining plan were working. It was chaos, managers were running around going crazy as none of the cards were being read. I was paying with cash, so it wasn't a big deal. At the time most of the people were just let through with FREE food if their cards did not work. I didn't hang around and watch how many people were allowed a free meal but it happened enough that I noticed. It seemed that they were asked to pay first, and if they whined enough or said they didn't have any money on them, they were just passed through.

What an ordeal! -- Tory

Mousemates
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
When we went to the food court none of the room keys with the dining plan were working. It was chaos, managers were running around going crazy as none of the cards were being read.... What an ordeal! -- Tory

That's one time I was glad not to be at Walt Disney World...chaos and vacation should be mutually exclusive events.

Joeybun
09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
We checked in to All Star Music on September 20th just before noon. We had no issues! We got one of our rooms right away, but had to wait for the other one. (We had connecting rooms so it was super easy to figure out the other one) We dropped off our luggage and went to the food court and ate. No issues for us. Hadn't heard any complaints so maybe it did not affect Music. Or maybe we were just having too much fun!

BTW-We are still here! Today is our last day :mickey: