PDA

View Full Version : Contractor

cspenc28
09-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Warning...very long winded...
Ok, so I've never hired a contractor before to do work around my house. My dad, grandfather husband and I have done all the work in my house in the three years I've owned it. And honestly, the only time my parents have hired a contractor was for A/C, and they didn't have to worry about money because they took a loan through the company. My husband never owned a home before we got married.
I'm having drywall work done in my house, just to update the house. I would have my dad help us, but it's three rooms, stairway and hallway. My husband and I have had mutiple quotes and finally decided on a company we are comfortable with, great BBB rating, good references, etc. But I don't know how I feel about this...so please help me out.
They need 1/3 of the total amount for a deposit, a 1/3 went all the materials are delivered and the rest when work is finished. They only accept cash or check...is that normal? I'm talking quite a bit of money, they are hanging the drywall, taping, mudding and priming it.
Anyway, I just need to know if anyone has gone through this and what I should expect.

cer
09-16-2011, 11:53 AM
In our experience, cash or check for contract work is common.

I understand your concern. It is an investment.

Good luck, and I also think the 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 is reasonable.

Another thought, why don't you contact the other companies and see how they handle payment? That may make you feel better about the company you are going with.

btharvey
09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
We haven't had just drywall done, but when we had a couple of rooms added and the kitchen redone, the 1/3-1/3-1/3 was normal, and cash/check only is also normal. I can't vouch for pricing, so good luck!

cspenc28
09-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks...I figured that's how it's done. I just wanted some reassurance. The company we've chosen seems pretty great, their pricing is fair based on the other quote we've gotten.
Again, thanks!

MNNHFLTX
09-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Sounds pretty typical to me too. I have never had a contractor take credit cards, only cash or check. Two or three installments is the norm too, depending on how extensive the job is.

sassafras
09-16-2011, 03:01 PM
We're in the process of having storm damage from late June done (roof replaced, interior damage fixed, etc.) and our contractor got 1/2 up front and the rest on completion. He wanted a check. So, I'd say what you're asking about is fairly normal!