PDA

View Full Version : Busiest Days at Certain Parks

Buttercup
09-13-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm looking for your opinions. I think this was discussed a lonnnnng time ago but I'll never be able to find it! :D So I'll start it again!

Other Disney websites sometimes have "recommended days" to be at certain parks. I have a friend that swears by these recommendations, whereas, I don't buy into them. For example, Saturdays/Sundays/Mondays are supposed to be busier at the Magic Kingdom. Or, the parks that have extra magic hours on a particular day are supposed to be busier than the other parks.

Do you buy into that?
Regardless of the time of year, I always have to start my vacation going to the Magic Kingdom for my first full day at the parks. Which means it's inevitably a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (again, the supposed "busiest" days for that park). But I don't notice it being any busier on those days, than if I go back on a different day of the week when it's supposed to be "quiet".

My theory is, because people tend to park-hop a lot, that any park can be busy at any particular time of day. So sticking to the "recommended" days of the week for each park is not really necessary. However my friend plans her entire vacation based on the recommended days and swears it makes a difference. I'm curious what others have experienced! :mickey:

I've travelled to WDW at pretty much all times of the year since the late 70's, with the only exception being during the Christmas season - I've never been down there at that time. So perhaps, during that time of year, there are "busier" days at certain parks because of special events happening? But during the rest of the year, I tend to think if one park is crowded, they all are. And, vice versa: if one park is slow, they all are.

What are your thoughts?

tinksmom02
09-13-2011, 08:09 AM
I definitely take those recommendations into account but I don't plan my vacation around them. I also don't have to go to MK first thing when we get there, but I suspect this trip we will, because brother and his fam have never been. I think the MK tends to be more crowded on weekends because that's when the locals go, as well as tourists. But I've never noted a discernible difference between weekends and weekdays.

The more trips we take, the less rigid I am in scheduling. I do try to plan parks around our ADRs, even with park hoppers, to make travel time as minimal as possible.

I do, however, try to avoid parks that have early morning EMH, though. In my opinion that makes that park more crowded, at least for the beginning part of the day. I think last trip we avoided almost all EMH altogether, actually.

Will be interested to see what others do!

Aurora
09-13-2011, 09:13 AM
On our last trip in June, we took the advice of experts and avoided parks that had morning EMH. I will never do that again. We lost a critical hour in the morning at the MK; when we did arrive at the regular opening time, there were throngs of people coming with us, and it didn't let up.

I've heard this year that the crowds are much heavier than in past years, no matter what time you're going. I'd say go to the morning EMH park and if it gets too crowded, hop to another park.

Katzateer
09-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Most of our trips we have gone to MK for a party the first night (Christmas or Halloween). We are too excited to sleep and MK makes us feel like we are home.

We go to early morning entry parks but leave around 11am and go to a different park, to avoid the large crowds the rest of the day.

MarkC
09-13-2011, 09:38 AM
If you are trying to avoid using morning EMH, go to the park that had evening EMH the night before, as most people aren't going back there right away the next morning.

I still think if you use morning EMH when staying on property, you can get almost everything done you want to in the first couple of hours. When it starts to fill up by noon, go take a swimming break or hit another park.

Mousemates
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
We go to early morning entry parks but leave around 11am and go to a different park, to avoid the large crowds the rest of the day.

:ditto: except we usually hang out until lunchtime.

wdwfansince75
09-13-2011, 11:23 AM
I think it is the old Yogi Berra theory..."EMH's are so crowded, nobody goes there!" I have done all the parks on EMH mornings and evenings...DHS seems to be worst on EMH days, morning and evening.
EPCOT seems to have the least impact...opening is always crowded, and everyone heads for Soaring or Test Track...EMH or not...
AK seems to have the least crowded morning EMH...never did evening EMH at AK, and they no longer schedule one.
MK...morning EMH always works...lots to do, and great opportunity to hit favorites....although Splash and BTMRR are not open for morning EMH....Since we go during the summer, MK regular closing is usually to 11 or 12, so non-EMH evenings usually afford us all the time we need in MK...and staying too late means a late start the next day. But...I have done MK PM EMH...the crowds make me nostalgic for the old E-ride nights, when everything was a walk on, within the first half hour.

So, to the topic...yes, I glance at the guides...and discount them where they disagree with my observations...It's like old secret of the line on the left being the shortest...still happens once in a while, but practically everyone knows about it.
So my suggestions....
Almost every park is lightest at opening...almost every day
If hopping....Sunday AM at the MK is about as light as you will see MK all week...but it is very heavy almost every Sunday PM and evening..and MK morning EMH is a special treat, but the crowd builds...so HOP!
DHS is lightest at opening on non-EMH mornings, especially the morning after its evening EMH.
EPCOT is most crowded on weekend evenings...Must be the date and dinner crowds.
AK is never too crowded...but can be too hot...Morning EMH allows you to beat the heat....largest crowds (but manageable)seem to be day of morning EMH...longest lines for shows on those days...if hopping, do AK morning EMH, hop elsewhere, and return some other day to catch the shows..lightest crowds at AK are the MK morning EMH/EPCOT evening EMH days...think that is Tuesdays and Thursdays during the summer. If hopping, do MK AM EMH, hop to AK, and watch the shows...

Especially during the summer, there are no light days at MK...but there are light hours...like opening and those first few hours...

Main Street Jim
09-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Personal research has shown :) that MK tends to be busiest on Saturdays (local crowds coming to the park) and Mondays (most families staying for the week fly in on Sunday afternoon/evening, maybe hit the EMH evening park that night, and hit the MK first thing Monday).

TheHD
09-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I'd say go to the morning EMH park and if it gets too crowded, hop to another park.

That's always been our strategy, with a resort nap or pool break in between. We usually go to the EMH park at night after our resort break.

Joannelet
09-13-2011, 10:35 PM
I definitely agree that the busiest days for MK are Sat., Sun, and Monday. I usually don't go on those days to MK and this past year I went on a Monday in May and I honestly couldn't handle it and crowds never have bothered me before. I am sure the heat didn't help but the wait times, not being able to walk without someone being on top of you or you on top of another was just too much. I had to leave within a few hours of arrival. I have never had any problems at night or EMH days or nights. I do however enjoy going to parks that dont have EMH. It just makes it so peaceful and less rushed....but that could just be me.

KAT1811
09-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I definitely take those recommendations into account but I don't plan my vacation around them...

I do, however, try to avoid parks that have early morning EMH, though. In my opinion that makes that park more crowded, at least for the beginning part of the day. I think last trip we avoided almost all EMH altogether, actually.

:ditto: We avoid them too. We will from time to time take part in the night EMH but that is typically a small portion of our travel party (the little ones head back to the resort for a good night sleep) and mostly the adults (easier to go with the flow and wait without the little ones)

On our last trip in June, we took the advice of experts and avoided parks that had morning EMH. I will never do that again. We lost a critical hour in the morning at the MK; when we did arrive at the regular opening time, there were throngs of people coming with us, and it didn't let up.

My advice, avoid the early EMH all together and book a breakfast in the parks prior to the scheduled park opening. We typically have an 8am breakfast in the MK and by the time we are fininshed eating the park is finally opening but we are already way ahead of the crowds.

Mickey''s Girl
09-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Hmm I think you did it wrong. All the sources that say to avoid parks with morning EMH don't mean to show up at a park with EMH after it's over.

It means to skip that park entirely OR arrive for EMH and then leave when the park gets busy.

And yes I love crowd calendars! Think they make a huge difference.

StuckinOz
09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I also agree that MK is busiest on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and holidays. Have never had a problem with crowds at the other three parks, but MK can be a real challenge on those days. As others have noted, the best strategy is to arrive early on any day, at any park. I do think it is useful to use the EMH when you can.