PDA

View Full Version : How intense is MS

Belle1984
09-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I haven't been to WDW since 2001 and I was wondering how intense is MS? I know there are two different versions but I like thrill rides. However, I do have some motion sickness when it comes to motion simulators. For example, I can do roller coasters all day (SM, RR, etc.) but I cannot do star tours without feeling like I'm going to die.
I am so excited we are going in March but I just want to know if I should definately only do the milder version or if I should try the original. Any insight would be great, especially from some one who has motion sickness.

Disney Hungarian
09-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Are you referring to Mission Space?

If you are; then, I would highly recommend the "Green" side. I had probs with the original Star Tours and motion sickness. I could not ride Body Wars either. I was uncomfortable with the "Green" MS, but tolerated it.

Belle1984
09-11-2011, 11:51 PM
ooops! sorry I was just reading the thread about old rides vs. new and really had Mission to Mars in my head. Yeah I meant Mission Space. thanks for the input, I think I'll stick to the milder which is disapointing but better be safe than sorry

BigRedDad
09-12-2011, 12:08 AM
To give you an idea of what the ride is, it is nothing more than a ride that is common at a State Fair. Basically, there is an arm that extends from the center and spins in a horizontal circle. The ride vehicle is at the end of the arm and spins in a vertical circle. The g-forces are simulated by the speed the arms turn and the vehicle turns.

I would do the Green side first to see if you can handle it. The Orange side causes problems when some people move their field of vision from the screen.

SBETigg
09-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I was afraid to try MS too. I get a little queasy on rides like Star Tours and on the Tea Cups. But I did try it (before there were two sides) and it didn't bother me at all. It's a completely different kind of feeling than the other motion/spin rides. Maybe because you're in a tight space and the visual is different- staring at a screen right in front of you, with a "job" to help you hold your focus. It's a very cool feeling with the launch, and I wouldn't trade it for the tame side. Not saying it won't bother you-- but just letting you know that I have the same issues, and this ride was fine for me.

EJS-Houston
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I like the Orange version of Mission Space, but I have a cast-iron stomach...and even then I felt mildly queasy the first time I rode it. If Star Tours makes you wanna whoops your cookies, then definitely do not do the Orange Team version of Mission Space...stick to the Green Team.

Scott C
09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I thought I could handle it -- spent 2 days in bed -- couldn't lift my head without getting sick. Your call.............

Scott C

ryca1dreams
09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
The ride vehicle is at the end of the arm and spins in a vertical circle. The g-forces are simulated by the speed the arms turn and the vehicle turns.

I think the thing that makes people sick is what you pointed out - the speed of the centrifuge is not constant so your inner ears are going crazy.

Personally, I love the sensation.

Mousemates
09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
If you are generally prone to nausea on spinning carnival type rides I would say avoid it. If you do okay on them for the most part, but have some trouble if you ride too much, then I would suggest riding it once. If you are generally prone to trouble then ride the tame version.

I actually fit in the middle category...I can ride it once and never have any issues...but the second time always leaves me a little :sick:. So its a one time a day thing for us now.

johnO
09-13-2011, 05:26 PM
I think its pretty intense for a WDW ride

Daisy'sMom
09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I have never suffered any type of motion sickness. That changed when I rode MS! I wwas sick for the entire day. The same thing happened to my DD:mickey:

A Big Kid
09-13-2011, 07:30 PM
2.5Gs intense

Janmac
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
The best thing to do, if you decide to do the orange side is to ride at the end of the day. That way if you have some lingering problems, you can go back to your resort and not miss a lot.

Among our extended family, the most prevalent problems were queasiness in their head, so to speak, rather than their stomachs. About half of the ones with the queasiness did not feel that way when they rode a second time, a few days later. I think anxiety was causing some of the side effects. That or it's easy to get used to G force feelings. One person, out of about 10 or 11, was still queasy icky feeling the morning after we rode the first time.

The green version lets you know what the ride is about but it doesn't give you any idea as to what the G force experience is like. That experience is not like other rides. At least none I've been on.

One in our group said he could tell he was spinning. He had no ill effects tho. Personally I can't tell I"m spinning.

The G-force feels as tho there is an elephant on my chest. DH says he doesn't feel that at all. I dislike the elephant feeling enough that I don't do the orange side. I never had any stomach or head queasiness.

I understand that some of the folks who have difficulty have tried to move their heads and look sideways even tho we're instructed not to move our heads.

Mission Space isn't thrilling like a roller coaster. It is thrilling if you think about astronauts going through much stronger G forces. Gives me a great appreciation for what they go through.

Jan

Belle1984
09-13-2011, 11:43 PM
thanks for all the input...I think I'll take Janmac's advice and try it at the end of the day, that way it won't ruin my whole day at my favorite park. We are planning on going to EPCOT two days out of our six day stay so maybe i'll try the green the first and the orange the second.

brownie
09-14-2011, 10:41 AM
It didn't start affecting me until after the 3rd ride in a row on the Orange side. It is an awesome ride. It does really help to keep looking forward at the screen during the ride.

SpecJoe Magic
09-15-2011, 05:45 AM
I think it's best not to focus on the spinning, as the spinning is there to create the g-forces, but the ride was developed in such a way that you aren't supposed to realize that you are spinning. That's why they tell you to keep your eyes open at all times and focus on the screen. The screen and movements trick your brain into not feeling the spinning. I think it makes the entire experience better to get very involved mentally in the idea that I'm really doing the mission because that keeps me focused on the fun and keeps my mind off of the spinning. In regards to the orange version, there is one very intense part, the blast-off, and a couple of moderately intense parts, slingshot around the moon and descent to Mars. The rest of it isn't all that intense in my opinion.

If you are unsure, at least try the green version. I believe that anyone that can deal with Star Tours will be able handle it. If green seems very tame to you, then you can go for orange. That said, riding it again immediately is probably not a good idea, especially if you feel a little queasy. Take a break from it by doing something else for a while and then go back and try the other version if you are so inclined.

Silver_Surfer
09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I think it's best not to focus on the spinning, as the spinning is there to create the g-forces, but the ride was developed in such a way that you aren't supposed to realize that you are spinning. That's why they tell you to keep your eyes open at all times and focus on the screen. The screen and movements trick your brain into not feeling the spinning. I think it makes the entire experience better to get very involved mentally in the idea that I'm really doing the mission because that keeps me focused on the fun and keeps my mind off of the spinning. In regards to the orange version, there is one very intense part, the blast-off, and a couple of moderately intense parts, slingshot around the moon and descent to Mars. The rest of it isn't all that intense in my opinion.

If you are unsure, at least try the green version. I believe that anyone that can deal with Star Tours will be able handle it. If green seems very tame to you, then you can go for orange. That said, riding it again immediately is probably not a good idea, especially if you feel a little queasy. Take a break from it by doing something else for a while and then go back and try the other version if you are so inclined.

Orange version here:thumbsup:
Spinning? Is that how they did it? I was blown away from the G's! I thought to myself they cant do that even if they turn you upside down. Amazing, couldn't feel it spinning but that explains the G's I felt in my stomach!

mousetrapper
09-15-2011, 11:26 AM
It is absolutely true that looking around while you're on the ride (orange side) can cause problems! I was so nonchalant the first time I rode I was looking all over the place.

Listen to Gary Senise when he instructs you to look straight ahead during the duration of the ride!

Other tips I have: make sure you are very well hydrated, you've eaten a little something about an hour before the ride, and that you BREATHE.

I was devastated after I rode the first time - so disappointed at my adverse reaction. I was determined to ride again using my own advice outlined above :blush: It was better the second time, but still not too enjoyable for me.

For someone like me whose father worked on the NASA space program and always dreamed of being an astronaut, I was so upset I wasn't able to enjoy the orange side. I am a reluctant green side rider. :(

MissMaryPoppins
09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
The first time I rode this my brother didn't think twice until we got further along the line. We began seeing warnings about the intensity and motion sickness. We decided to do it anyway. We were seated with a couple riding for the first time also. They were a little nervous too but we all got a laugh out of the motion sickness bag we found in our car. I couldn't feel the car moving but I definitely felt force. It felt like someone was pushing the top of my head.I had a headache for about an hour afterward but after taking some excedrin and grabbing a drink I was fine. The next time I decided to look around during the ride and got really dizzy for a few seconds..that's what I get for wanting to do what I'm told not to do! I understand being afraid of motion sickness so you might want to try the gentler version first.