PDA

View Full Version : Have We Forgotten 9/11?

John
09-11-2011, 07:54 AM
I logged in today to see if there was a single thread on the site in commemorating the tenth anniversary of the horrific act that shattered our country in some ways and brought us together in a way we'd never seen before.

Not a single post.

Ten years later, have we all forgotten what it felt like to be an American on that day? How people rushed to blood banks to try and help. How every car on the road 9/12 had a flag attached to it's antenna. How people got a little bit nicer to each other? How we felt like we were in this together.

I know I haven't forgotten - nor will I EVER forget how I felt that clear September morning.

It saddens me a bit to think maybe others have.

Ed
09-11-2011, 08:28 AM
John, I'm a little surprised myself. But, yes - - I'm afraid that many have either forgotten or have relegated the memories of that terrible day to the back of their minds.

I'm still impressed by the sense of community here at Intercot on that day and the weeks following. I still get chills every time I attend 'Illuminations' at Epcot and hear the song, excerpts of which became the signature of many of our members~~~

With the stillness of the night
There comes a time to understand
To reach out and touch tomorrow
Take the future in our hand.

We can see a new horizon
Built on all that we have done
And our dreams begin
Another thousand circles 'round the sun.

We go on
To the joy and through the tears
We go on
To discover new frontiers
Moving on
With the current of the years.

We go on
Moving forward, now as one
Moving on
With a spirit born to run
Ever on
With each rising sun.

To a new day
We go on.

We go on.

Disney Hungarian
09-11-2011, 08:36 AM
I will never forget.

I will never forget the feeling of sadness I felt while watching a fire at the World Trade Center on the live news program. It was being reported as a fire. Then on live TV, I watched the second tower get struck by a plane. Then as the day progressed, news of what had actually taken place was being reported. I shed tears today as I remember that day, just like I shed tears then.

Ian
09-11-2011, 08:37 AM
I know I haven't.

Melanie
09-11-2011, 08:41 AM
I'll never forget, and I'll make sure my sons (although young at the time ) never forget as well. :flag:

Dulcee
09-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I don't think people forget but I do think its natural that people move on. One day I think 9/11 will be Patriot Day first, similar to the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. It's just human nature.

That being said, I was living in Jersey at the time and watched friends in high school being told that their parents wouldn't be coming home from work that day, so it will likely always be more to me then just another anniversary, even if I don't wear it on my sleeve.

TheVBs
09-11-2011, 08:49 AM
It was a horrific event that I don't think any of us will ever forget. However, everyone grieves and deals with tragedy differently. I would never assume that someone has forgotten just because they choose not to discuss it here on the anniversary.

BrerGnat
09-11-2011, 08:58 AM
No, not forgotten, but also not something that I think we have to dwell on as a society. Things fundamentally changed after 9/11 and I think America has done a good job adapting and coming to terms with a new reality. The monuments and tributes will always be there, for reflection and remembrance. The date will live in infamy like many others in our history.

I haven't forgotten. I will never forget. I think about it quite often, particularly since my family is intimately connected to the military response to the event, which will continue many more years into the future.

However, I also don't dwell on it. My kids, who were not born at the time, and are still very young, will learn about it when they are more mature and able to understand what it all meant. They are kids. Let them be kids without these kinds of burdens for a bit longer, I say.

With time, healing.

Tink1
09-11-2011, 09:03 AM
I do not think anyone forgets, and I agree, eventually it will be thought of as Pearl Harbor is.

Since it is Sunday Morning I am sure a lot of people are/were/will be at services as well.

Nanc

caryrae
09-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I really don't think just because there was no posts yet means people forgot. It's still pretty early, a lot of people my still be sleeping or just getting up, maybe getting ready for church or other services and do not have time to come to Intercot yet.

missymouseworld
09-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Thoughts and prayers of rememberence for the families and our country since we were all affected.

At 1pm EST in our area there will be a moment of reflection and they are asking all church bells/sirens to sound as a collective rememberence.

Carol
09-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I will NEVER forget.

(Not speaking for John - but it was surprising no one started a thread on Friday after the front page changed. When we add snow flakes someone posts immediately. Hence - the question.)

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
John,

I have not forgotten, nor will I ever. If we really look at how everything has changed since then, we are reminded every day of 9/11/2001.

I was thinking last night how sad that whole week was. It still depresses me in one sense, and angers me in another.

Eric

lettripp
09-11-2011, 09:32 AM
It has not been forgotten, but I do think that this event involves a lot of personal reflection -- some of which many may not feel the desire share online. We all reflect differently.

Last night we attended a wedding. The groom was a good friend of mine from high school. I will never forget 9/11 or the month following when he informed me he would be leaving for bootcamp the day after graduation because he knew he had to do something to help. Last night, they honored the soldiers with a toast and silent prayer... and in that moment we all cried and remembered.

goofygirl64
09-11-2011, 09:34 AM
No, we will never forget. My husband and I were actually in the 3rd day of our vacation at WDW on September 11. I felt like we were a million miles away from our family and really just wanted to get home to them. We ended up cutting our vacation short and renting a car to drive back to Indiana, since we couldn't fly back home..all of the airports were closed. To continue our vacation just seemed to so thoughtless and uncaring.
I promise that I will never forget, as long as I live. God Bless us all & God Bless the USA!

luvdiznee
09-11-2011, 09:35 AM
I haven't forgotten, and definitely never will. I'm watching on MSNBC, now. And I got DD14 up to watch. I just think it's important for her to see as well.

As far as the posts, I just thought it would be a "mod" thing to do.

Kairi_7378
09-11-2011, 09:37 AM
No John, I haven't forgotten 9-11. Even 10 years later, I still have a hard time expressing how I feel about that day. I have had to avoid watching the coverage because it makes me too sad to function for hours afterwards. So sad that it took a horrible event for us to show our solidarity as a nation.

I do try to remember the positive things of that week though. My cousin was due on 9-11-01 but was born on 9-8 and came home on the 11th. Two of my friends were married on the 15th. We just celebrated my cousin's birthday yesterday.

kaylamag
09-11-2011, 10:19 AM
For the husband who told his wife I love you one last time before his plane went down in a field, for the wife who stopped in the stairs to call her husband to say I will love you forever, for the mothers and fathers who kissed their kids goodbye the morning they died,for the policemen who rushed in with the firemen to help get others out only to die themselves, for the soldiers who fought back and lost their lives. Today, tomorrow, ten years from now i will remember you...

disneymom15
09-11-2011, 10:46 AM
9/11 is a day I'll never forget. I think about it less often, but it's never far from my mind.

Kenny1113
09-11-2011, 10:57 AM
...I shed tears today as I remember that day, just like I shed tears then.

:ditto:

I remember coming home from nursing school as we were sent home early and seeing my 4month old in the his swing. My first thought was "what kind of world did I bring this child into? ". I remember being glued to the tv news programs almost 24 hrs a day(I couldn't sleep or eat) trying to understand how and why this happened. Still to this day I am nervous when DH :fireman: goes to work.

Nope haven't forgotten. Last month DH and i went to the 9/11 tribute near the site, i was bawling!!!! Today, My kids and I have been watching the coverage.

John
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I for one don't think reflecting on the loss once a year is dwelling on it... And I was especially surprised on the 10th anniversary and the opening of the memorial, that no one commented before I did. Thus the reason I asked the question.

Anyway - thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts today.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
We haven't forgotten here either.

It is still so easy to think of how we all felt that horrible morning, and of all of our friends that lost loved ones.

It gets tricky though, especially for us Canadians, since it "didn't happen to us", but it happened to all of us that stand together for a way of life that we cherish.

John - thank you for starting this thread and reminding us that we all stand together on "the side of the good", and there is no much more good than evil in the world.

Janmac
09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Here in central Missouri we did not feel immediate impacts from the attacks on 9/11. Actually, Oklahoma City was more close to home. That was a shocker. I doubt I'll forget the two kids who shot up their school in Arkansas. Not major news but close to home.

We're such a huge country. I think, for us locally, we don't forget but we get tired of the media. Not just today, but any time. Power outages and flooding always get more coverage if they're somewhere along the northeast corridor than if they happen in the middle of the country. Possibly because in a smaller geographical area more people are affected than out here. For example, parts of a major interstate highway are still closed due to flooding, and have been closed all summer. It covers lots of miles but much fewer people are affected than if this were on either coast.

I was glad to see a post in this thread about the plane that went down in Pennsylvania. For one of my high school classmates, who recently retired after working as a civilian for the Air Force, her memories are of lost friends and co-workers at the Pentagon.

Jan

MNNHFLTX
09-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Definitely not forgotten. The memories of what happened ten years ago have been washing over me today with each moment of the memorial ceremony and coverage on TV and in the newspaper. Honestly, everything else just seems unimportant today. :flag:

VWL Mom
09-11-2011, 01:07 PM
9/11 will be in my mind and heart forever.

badkitty
09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I'll never forget.

Very nice tribute on the front page. I didn't see it until Carol pointed it out.

Tink1
09-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I'll never forget.

Very nice tribute on the front page. I didn't see it until Carol pointed it out.

Me either. My bookmark comes directly to the forums. It is a very nice tribute.

Nanc

Belle--86
09-11-2011, 02:53 PM
We won't forget either , I was 4 months pregnant with our youngest DD and thinking what kind of world she was being brought into. I don't think we will ever forget-- watching coverage with DD this past week and especially today brings tears to my eyes.:flag:

hoop de do
09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I'll never forget. I was closely involved in the Flight 93 segment and story. As a previous poster said, it makes me sad but also mad. It would not be good for me or our web sight to get into it any further. All I can say is:
"GOD Bless America"

:flag::flag::flag:

PirateLover
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I have not, and will never, forget. :(

brad192
09-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I for one get quite melencholy every Patriot Day, but this one is a lot harder to take since it's been 10 years & so much has changed in the world. I thought I was doing OK today until the radio played Kristy Jackson's song "Little Did She Know (She'd Kissed A Hero)" & I just lost it. There's a great Youtube tribute to the Flight 93 passengers & crew using that song. Just google her name & Flight 93. Have tissues ready though, you'll need 'em.

darthmacho
09-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I for one don't think reflecting on the loss once a year is dwelling on it...

I agree that reflecting on it is not dwelling on it, but at the same time, I don't feel that silent reflection is the same as forgetting. Though I had chosen not to post my feelings on Facebook, Twitter, or Intercot, I certainly have not forgotten that sorrowful day, nor will I.

princessgirls
09-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I will NEVER FORGET!!

I live about 20 minutes from NYC (with no traffic). I know people that never came home. I know people that were first responders and are now sick. I know so many people who were so affected by it all, they packed up and moved.
I know someone well that lost her finance, and never moved on, still in so much pain from her grief.

It scares me and makes me sick to this day that THAT MUCH EVIL WALKED AMONG US IN MY OWN TOWN!!! Two of the terrorists lived in Wayne for a while. They boarded flight 93 that morning. They rented a car from a man that goes to our church who worked for a local car dealership. That car was left at the airport. He still has nightmares.
That changed us all. It took our innocence.
I have a beautiful picture of the towers in my kitchen that was taken one month prior by my husband who was out on our boat cruising on the Hudson. It reminds me every day of how precious life is, and I pray for all those who lost their loved ones on 9/11/01.
Thanks John for reminding us to share our stories of that day.
Julie

SBETigg
09-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I was away this morning, and it was very much on my mind. I watched some of the morning's ceremonies and had my own time for peaceful reflection on that day, our losses, and the changes to our world as a result. Of course, even if I had been home, it's a very personal matter for me, even though it is a shared experience by all Americans (and others). I'm not sure how one can conclude that a lack of comment to such an event means lack of interest, or that it was forgotten. I would take it as more a reverent, respectful silence- not forgotten, never forgotten.

KylesMom
09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Never forgotten - tears shed - sorrow felt. However, today was time was spent holding my family this morning - not on the internet in any way, shape or form. Family & military members were called & "love you's" were spread via mouth - not typed word.

After spending the solenmn moments in the morning as a family, we spent the late morning hours listening to DS play his trumpet of his best patriotic songs, watching the tributes on TV and giving thanks that all in our family are safe.

Frankly, it was a given in my household that I wasn't going to be on the internet until later today to contribute to this site (or e-mail or work). It was - is - and will henceforth be - a family day. :(

P.S. - we spent yesterday getting our yard ready and many, many MANY flags up. I assure you, hundreds in my small town did the exact same thing.

Tiggerlovr9000
09-11-2011, 06:20 PM
This will probably sound strange but as I was watching the memorial on tv this morning all I could keep thinking about was how dangerous the new memorial looks. It occured to me what if someone climbs on it and falls.. All swimming pools have to have fences. What kind of saftey nets does it have.. I remember that day well and was glued to my tv. I feel so sorry for the victims and their families but It just kept running through my mind...

BrerGnat
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I agree that reflecting on it is not dwelling on it, but at the same time, I don't feel that silent reflection is the same as forgetting. Though I had chosen not to post my feelings on Facebook, Twitter, or Intercot, I certainly have not forgotten that sorrowful day, nor will I.

This is kind of what I meant. Maybe "dwell" was the wrong word. I maybe am a bit over all the media surrounding this anniversary. I mean, it's no more important than last year, or the year before that, or any of the other previous nine years. Maybe I just meant that I will honor today as I have for the past ten years, and don't feel like it needs to be magnified just because it's "number 10".

bouncer
09-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I have not forgotten. Our family has not forgotten. My husband worked for an airline in the maintenance dept at the time. He got home from work, turned on the TV and thought to himself, "our lives will be different starting right now." That airline no longer exists, he no longer works in the airline industry. Not only do we mourn the tragedy in NY, PA & DC we mourn the stability of the lives we once held. We went to church and prayed, shared fellowship with other church members and went to our local apple orchard.
I have been sharing that day with my 8 year old DS this weekend and discussing it with him. It wasn't until now that I felt he was mature enough to tell him what or why those evil individuals did what they did.

We will never forget...but have to live our daily lives as well. God bless!

LauraF
09-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I'll admit I was a little offended of being accused of forgetting this tragedy. But then I thought about it some and realized to people who don't know me it might seem that way. I don't speak of it much.

For me, it was a very personal tragedy - I had 7 co-workers on those planes (we lost an entire department at my office), plus many folks I know socially lost friends or relatives.

It is still difficult to speak of it years later; I had to boycott TV shows this weekend, as all of them kept bringing it up, and I'm simply not ready to watch re-runs of the planes crashing again and again.

Maybe in 50 years I can watch those documentaries without bawling.

jrkcr
09-12-2011, 10:54 AM
No, we haven't forgotten. I attended the Reno hot air balloon festivites at 5am yesterday(9/11), and all morning at the exact times(ignore time zone difference), the announcer told what happened, how many lost their lives, and a bell tolled during a moment of silence. And it really was very silent and still at 5am, in the dark with unlit balloons floating in the sky. Later we had a T-6 fly over with the missing man formation...brought us all to tears! All us families standing in the cold,were huddled with our kids, and it was very quiet. But the strangest thing...and I do mean STRANGE...right after that we had a formation of the EXACT number of geese fly over, and one goose fell out of formation... in the EXACT same formation as the T-6 had been!!! I kid you not. People went wild and cheered for the geese!! Our local tv meteorologist sang the national anthem, and I have never heard it sound so good. And I was impressed by the speech that Govenor Sandoval gave(never heard him before). You can read it online at RGJ(reno gazette journal). People were waving American flags and all the hot air balloons had the American flag drapped on the baskets or ropes.
It was a very touching and special day to remember 9/11 and all the lives that have been affected since then. :flag:

diz_girl
09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
No, I haven't forgotten here. I recently moved to MD from New Jersey, and while living in NJ I was reminded of it most days. Right after 9/11, people in NJ (at least the northern half of the state that I could observe) started hanging American flags from highway overpasses. Most of the flags have been maintained/replaced in the years since 9/11, so every time I drove on the Garden State Parkway, I-195, I-287, I-78, NJ Turnpike or I-80, I would see those flags and be reminded of why they're there.

Most people just don't talk about it because it's still too hard to talk about.

Diznee4Me
09-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Well said - my thoughts exactly.

princessgirls
09-12-2011, 05:36 PM
No, I haven't forgotten here. I recently moved to MD from New Jersey, and while living in NJ I was reminded of it most days. Right after 9/11, people in NJ (at least the northern half of the state that I could observe) started hanging American flags from highway overpasses. Most of the flags have been maintained/replaced in the years since 9/11, so every time I drove on the Garden State Parkway, I-195, I-287, I-78, NJ Turnpike or I-80, I would see those flags and be reminded of why they're there.

Most people just don't talk about it because it's still too hard to talk about.

There were flags up everywhere in Northern NJ this weekend, which I love! I often wonder who puts them up. It's cool. We are America!! Let's fly our flags proudly!!!

It is hard to talk about. It is our reality. Post 9/11. Life was never the same after.
Julie:mickey:

magicofdisney
09-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I just found out last week that the company my husband works for lost 10 people that day. One of those was Todd Beamer, one of the heroes to go down with Flight 93 over Pennsylvania. This struck me hard because my husband flies weekly for this company and all I could think about was this man (husband, father, son, nephew, cousin, friend) going about doing his job and being thrown in this situation.

Additionally, my husband had to fly yesterday and I was a little nervous because this 10yr anniversary was thought to be another potential threat. I guess it goes without saying this was heavy on my heart and mind. I still become emotional thinking about the heartaches and tragedies of 911.

Renfairwedding
09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Forgotten? No. Every time I see the video of the attack I think of how we scrambled to assemble and stage ambulances to respond only not having any one to transport. I remember standing on the driveway of our station when two fighter jets flew over that day.

9-11 may fade but will never be forgotten.

garymacd
09-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Forgotten? No. Every time I see the video of the attack I think of how we scrambled to assemble and stage ambulances to respond only not having any one to transport. I remember standing on the driveway of our station when two fighter jets flew over that day.

9-11 may fade but will never be forgotten.

I'm with you on that, brother. While I work quite a way from New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, we were affected and on high alert as well.

Not a day goes by that my job isn't affected by the actions of that day.

The silence of those next few weeks was nearly deafening. No planes, no helicopters, road traffic lighter than ever.

Yeah, I haven't forgotten and never will.

princessgirls
09-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I found this info interesting.

I read in the paper that after the Earthquake that hit us a few weeks ago here on the East Coast, people who work in NYC felt their buildings shake and got out. They didn't wait for instructions...they simply left.

Yes...9/11 is never far from people's thoughts.

Julie:mickey:

barnaby
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Never forgotten.

I was out surveying when it happened. My co-worker and I didn't have the radio on and weren't near a TV, we got a phone call about it from another co-worker. We kept working and would turn the radio on to catch the news in pieces while we were in and out of the work truck. It wasn't until I got back to the office at the end of the day and saw it on TV that I realized the full enormity of the situation.

Several months after 9/11, we were working up north near NYC. Every store had flyers with pictures of the missing posted up on their windows. It is a sight I will never forget.

My best friend's father was at WTC for the first bombing and on 9/11. He doesn't talk much about 9/11, but he has told me some stories of the things he saw and went through. :(
One of the saddest things he told me was about the parking lot at the train station in NJ. He took the train from NJ to NYC everyday. The week after 9/11, the same cars sat in the parking lot, the cars of the people who didn't make it home.

minnie04
09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Not a single post.

Ten years later, have we all forgotten what it felt like to be an American on that day? How people rushed to blood banks to try and help. How every car on the road 9/12 had a flag attached to it's antenna. How people got a little bit nicer to each other? How we felt like we were in this together.

I know I haven't forgotten - nor will I EVER forget how I felt that clear September morning.

It saddens me a bit to think maybe others have.

I apologies, but I didn’t log in on the weekend. I was attending a memorial on Miami Beach for 911. Being the wife of a Firefighter for 20 years I was showing support to him and his fellow brothers & sisters on the department. I will never forget!! I can’t help but always think if something were to happen again would it be my Husband running in.. My heart goes out to all those families that have lost loved ones. We are reminded everyday of this event. I don’t think because we didn’t log in to a website “we have forgotten:”

MissMaryPoppins
09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't think it's possible to forget 9/11. Everyone has their own stories from that day, no matter where they were, if they knew people directly involved or didn't. I was still in NJ at the time and it was a very difficult being there. No matter where you went or what you did during the days and weeks after there was constant reminders. In the grocery store we shopped in they would make announcements letting us know what the crews working the bucket brigade needed for donations, fundraisers seemed to be going on all the time, our church constantly had masses said for victims, it was a horrible time. We were united which was wonderful but it was over such tragic circumstances. 9/11 is brought up a lot in the news, newspapers, magazines, politicians bring it up often. I assumed it wasn't brought up here because it tends to be a sensitive subject and sometimes conversations about 9/11 can get heated.

greengeen
09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Are you kidding? We spent the entire weekend immersed in 9/11 memorials, documentaries, and news reports. Didn't even have TIME to log on to the internet for something frivolous like Intercot.

kemps@wdw
09-24-2011, 11:35 PM
No John, I have not forgotten! Nor can I. For as horrble as that day was for the thousands who lost their lives because of the fanaticism of others, or the loved ones they left behind, it was also the day that God, in his infinite wisdom, saw fit to save the life of this very grateful woman by guiding the ever so skilled hands of the surgical team that rid me of breast cancer, and kept a extremely precious 8 yr-old from losing her mommy. A bittersweet day for me, to be sure.

pjbs35a
10-02-2011, 09:26 AM
You guys need to read the Positive Quote of the Day; Posted on 9/11:

Let everyone sweep in front of his own door and the whole world will
be clean.

-- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

NEVER FORGET

2Epcot
10-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I missed this post earlier, but I certainly haven't forgotten. I still have a magnetic American flag on the back of my SUV that has been there since shortly after 9-11-2001.