PDA

View Full Version : Beds and Pillows @ POP

Hog
09-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Ok so we just went to Columbus for the weekend and stayed at a Doubletree Hotel. We had double beds which I could deal with even though we have a queen at home.

The trouble was the pillows they were so fluffy that when i woke up in the morning all the fluff was pushed away from where my head was laying and I was practically laying on the mattress. Needless to say my neck hurt and I didn't get a good nights sleep either night.

Now are the beds comfortable at POP Century? Also are the pillows firm or are they light, fluffy and thin? I am considering packing my own pillow but I don't know if it will be worth it to take up so much room in my suitcase, since we are flying. Opinions or thoughts? We leave in 26 days!!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Unless you are flying, why not bring your own pillows. As we drive most locations, we always travel with our best pillows.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I love firm pillows, and always find hotel pillows (including Disney) to be way too soft!

One thing we've done is buy a "new pillow", such as from IKEA where they are all compressed, so it takes up much less room. When we leave, we just leave it behind.

Mfarquar
09-10-2011, 09:17 AM
I consider Disney pillows regardless of resort to be about a medium. That's too soft for me; I like a bouncy/firm pillow. So, I always just use 2 and find it to be very comfortable. If I don't have a firmer pillow, I usually wake up with a stiff neck. Luckily using 2 pillows has worked for me.

We always fly, so packing my own pillow isn't an option. We use Magical Express, so no trips to buy pillows that we'll just throw away.

Daisy'sMom
09-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Pop's pillows are ok, just not as good as home. But we survive with them and usually do not have a problem.:mickey:

TheHD
09-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I have also always found hotel room pillows to be way too soft. I've always folded them in half to make them firmer. My wife told me that I was the weird one who doesn't like fluffy pillows, so its nice to see I'm not the only one out there who prefers a firm pillow.

We will also be headed to POP in November so I'm interested in what everyone has to say in this thread.

disneydeb
09-10-2011, 04:37 PM
We drive so I ALWAYS take my own pillow.
The only hotel I ditched my pillow in favor of the hotel's was in New Orleans at the Hotel Monteleone.

They sale their pillows in the gift shop!:thumbsup:

WDWdreamer87
09-12-2011, 11:33 PM
If you don't have extra pillows in your room when you arrive, call and ask for firm ones. Chances are Housekeeping may have some firm ones. Most of the pillows are either flat or fluffy...

JerseyDad
09-13-2011, 12:00 AM
.....just got back from POP last Tuesday...and had the opportunity to test drive the "new" bedding (they completed the last group of room renovations just after I left there LAST year).

Pillows: I'd give them a medium-firm rating...and they are FAR TOO SMALL (length and width) My daughter's each brought one of their own pillows...but we requested 4 more pillows when we checked in. It's amazing how sleeping on a "strange pillow"....can give you a sore neck.

Bedding (Mattress): Firm? Sort of.....and I was NOT impressed. These mattresses are 1 year old...and there was quite a bit of discernable (aka...annoying)..."spring noise". If you roled back...or forth in the middle of the night...you'd hear the springs.

....I'm probably one of Disney's biggest fans...and look forward to our yearly trip with the enthusiasm of a 5 year old. But I gotta' call them like I see them....and it really hurts me to do so. This was our 8th straight year at POP...and I was a bit underwhelmed by the bedding part of the "refurb".

Disdad13
09-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Just got Saturday from a week at POP. Beds themselves were OK, more firm than not. I agree with the other poster, however, that the pillows are very small. We usually sleep with 2 pillows at home anyway, so we requested (and received) extra pillows. A few of the pillows were VERY firm and the rest were moderately firm. Just don't know why they are so darn small!

JerseyDad
09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Just got Saturday from a week at POP. Beds themselves were OK, more firm than not. I agree with the other poster, however, that the pillows are very small. We usually sleep with 2 pillows at home anyway, so we requested (and received) extra pillows. A few of the pillows were VERY firm and the rest were moderately firm. Just don't know why they are so darn small!

....well....now you'll see why I have zero trust in people...and always will find a sinister reason behind everything.

Pillows are small because:

Reason 1: Small pillows...and pillow-cases are easier to store.

Reason 2: Small pillows make the small beds look bigger.

Reason 3: If the small pillows and pillow-cases are annoying while at WDW...why would anyone want to steal them to take home.

Reason 4: Disney doesn't want you too comfortable..and lying around in your room all day....when you could be in the parks buying stuff.

...and the REAL reason:

Reason 5: Disney got a great deal on a huge shipment of pillows and pillow-cases that were originally destined for Munchkinland in OZ.

minnie04
09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
The beds are alittle hard and the pillows are small. I always bring my own pillows and extra pillow cases for the ones in the hotel. It seems like all the hotels are using the down pillows. Thats fine, but I wish they would make them queen size instead of "travel" size...