PDA

View Full Version : College Financial Aid & Pixie Dust

azdisneymom
09-08-2011, 09:26 AM
We are submitting a request to review dd's financial aid package. A job change resulted in a substantial increase in medical insurance costs and now we could use help. A little pixie dust would be appreciated. I don't know how we are going to make it without a bit more help. :confused:

wdwfansince75
09-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Just said a silent prayer...Thought way back when DW and I had 3 in college at the same time that it couldn't get any worse...until DK#4 chose a private college...which cost more per year than the year the other 3 were in a state college. And this year, 3 of our DK's have one of their DK's (our DGK's) in college. Stunned at the increased costs! The 3 will cost close to $100,000 for the year! Haven't done a FAFSA recently, but do believe that changes in financial status after the FAFSA deadline for your state are best handled directly through the Financial Aid office at the school. They also can do some magic in finding other sources for you...DGS#2 got an extra $1500 for being in the Marching Band, and DGD got her books paid for by being on a sports team. (Suddenly, Title IX makes sense!)

Dulcee
09-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Don't be afraid to look into private loan options. I had almost a full ride via a scholarship most years (almost 45K a year at a private liberal arts) but my last year it came up just a bit short. I found a great student loan through the bank I had my checking account from that allowed deferred payments until 6 months after graduation, a fixed low rate and I was able to re-deffer it when I decided to enter graduate school. I was also able to take it out in my name rather then my parent's.

There are options out there, don't stress until you've explored them.

Scott C
09-08-2011, 12:37 PM
My wife lost her job May 1. We have 2 sons in engineering school. Aid office said she had to be unemployed ten weeks for any consideration. We waited and asked for an appeal and the magically came up with a few thousand dollars more in aid. I have found that private schools are a little more flexible in the aid department.

Thanks and good luck
Scott C

SBETigg
09-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I know all about needing those prayers! College is so expensive, and getting aid just doesn't happen for us. Fingers crossed for you!