PDA

View Full Version : how often do the airport buses leave the resorts

kstexasmom
09-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I am trying to add morning hours at the park right before I leave. Am I crazy to think that I can stay at Epcot until noon, get back to Boardwalk and grab my luggage, grab the bus and make it to the airport for a 2:30 flight?

tinksmom02
09-07-2011, 10:23 PM
If you're talking about Disney's Magical Express, if you have a 2:30 flight, you'll be scheduled for an 11:30am pickup--and they recommend you being there 15 minutes early--you'll have to have your luggage all ready to go by then. So I would think you'd want to be at the DME pickup ready to go by 11:15-11:20.

DME buses aren't on a time schedule, like the park buses--if no one is scheduled for a pickup they won't come to the resort. So if you're the only pickup for that day (unlikely but I guess it could happen), your bus would be the only DME bus.

Someone else will surely correct me if I'm wrong!

texas211
09-07-2011, 10:32 PM
I am trying to add morning hours at the park right before I leave. Am I crazy to think that I can stay at Epcot until noon, get back to Boardwalk and grab my luggage, grab the bus and make it to the airport for a 2:30 flight?

Yes.

The resorts to airport is 25 minutes. Plus checkin and security. Yeah, cutting too close. Plus, Orlando security is a disaster.

CleveRocks
09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
tinksmom02 is correct.

Even if there is a later bus, the driver is no under no obligation to let you on the bus. And even if the driver feels like being nice, his/her hands are tied if the bus is slated to be full.

If you miss your assigned pick up time, you may have to pay for (and find) your own way back to the airport.

TheRustyScupper
09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
. . . grab the bus and make it to the airport for a 2:30 flight?

You approx bus time will be 11:30am . . .
1) Buses are scheduled twice per hour.
. . . they are 30-min apart for all resorts
. . . resorts have different pick-up times
. . . example: 1:10pm & 1:40pm (30-min apart)
. . . example: 1:15pm & 1:45pm (30-min apart)
2) You will be scheduled approx 3-hrs before flight time.
. . . example: flight is 4:20pm
. . . example: DME is 1:20pm
3) However, it is done on the resort's schedule
. . . example: your resort sched is 1:05pm & 1:35pm
. . . example: your flight is 4:20pm
. . . example: your DME pickup is 1:05pm
. . . be at bus stop 10-15 in before scheduled pick-up
. . . bus might make 2-3 more stops at other resorts
4) The driver only stops if there are scheduled people.
. . . if no one scheduled, no bus that 1/2-hr
. . . maybe no bus for 2-3 hrs
. . . you might miss your time
. . . you would pay for a taxi to go to ariport
. . . you cannot get on a drop-off bus
. . . you can only get on a pick-up bus

mgmnut
09-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Last trip we missed our scheduled DME pickup, that wasn't fun at all. Our flight was for 6:00 pm, DME pickup was for 3:00pm. We had every intention on being back at WL by 2:15, bags were already checked, etc. Long story short we did not make it back in time. As we pulled in, the DME bus was pulling out. They wrote me a voucher to be on the next DME at 3:30, but I know they didn't have to, I just lucked out that it wasn't full.

BrerGnat
09-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Last time we stayed at BC, we had a 2:30 pm flight out as well. Our DME pickup time ended up being 11:15am. I DID go to Epcot for a bit in the morning, but we were heading out of there and back to the resort by 10:30. So, you CAN go into the park for a couple hours, provided that you are back at your resort, with your bags in hand, 15 minutes before your scheduled pick up time.

Unfortunately, you won't know your scheduled pick up time until the day before. You'll get a paper slipped under your door 2 nights before your departure.

WDWForever
09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I was just there end of August 2011. DME picks up resort guests about 3 hours before your flight which seems like it will be 11:30. The night before you'll get paperwork of the pickup time. Depending upon your airline, you can check-in your luggage at BWV for your flight and just have to worry about getting on the DME on-time. IMHO, if I were to do EPCOT, I'd check-in my luggage at the resort, go for opening until about 10:30, and then head back to the resort for DME. So at least you'll have about 1 1/2 hours.

Mousemates
09-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Am I crazy to think that I can stay at Epcot until noon, get back to Boardwalk and grab my luggage, grab the bus and make it to the airport for a 2:30 flight?

As others have said, it would be possible to squeeze in an hour or so in the parks...but it would be very likely to be a very unrelaxed and hurried hour...and all this just prior to the nightmare security check at Orlando (or at least that is what it has been on the few occasions that we have flown instead of driven). To me that seems to be adding a whole lot of stress to the end of your vacation (which was supposed to send you home relaxed and refreshed). I'd opt for a very laid back morning at the pool.

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 11:46 AM
You don't need to worry about the MCO security. Honestly, it's not that bad. I hear a lot of complaints about it and we've never had more than a 10 min wait in line, and it's been run very smoothly. Your DME pick up will get you to the airport in plenty of time, and likely, too early.

EeyoresBestFriend
09-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Just be grateful that you have a later flight.

Our flights almost always leave at 7am and DME is determined to get us there at 4am. For those of you who have never had the honor, that is BEFORE the airline counters are open, BEFORE the coffee or food places are open, and they only have 1 guy at security because us poor saps are THE ONLY PEOPLE THERE!!! Let me tell ya ~ there are NO waits at security at that ungawdly hour of the morning! :D

After a couple of weeks of midnighters, it is just too cruel. . . . . .

Mousemates
09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
You don't need to worry about the MCO security. Honestly, it's not that bad. I hear a lot of complaints about it and we've never had more than a 10 min wait in line, and it's been run very smoothly.

We must be in a "bad luck security cycle" because we have never gotten through in anything approaching ten minutes...but we do tend to fly holidays and busy seasons.