PDA

View Full Version : Disney Updating Rides but Actually Making Them Worse

Biolante
09-06-2011, 05:50 PM
As opposed to the "rides that need updating" thread I think the bigger problem is Disney using advice like this to actually make attractions a lot worse.

I can think of a few that just made me angry:

The Enchanted Tikki Room Under New Management was mangled to death. I've thought this since the 90's too. Noone wants to hear Gilfred Godfrey singing, no one. They took something that was cute and quaint and made it completely corny and annoying in an attempt to hawk new characters. Thank god they went back to the original style recently.

The Mexico ride with the addition of Donald Duck and the Three Caballeros. This did nothing for the ride. It was much more enjoyable before they randomly editing Donald into every scene.

The Seas with Nemo and Friends. While, the original ride may have not been the best thing ever, just dumping character tie-ins that have little to do with the theme of structure of the pavillion or Future World was very annoying. The 3D effects while interesting, seem a bit lazy as well. Over all, this ride does nothing to teach anoyone about anything.

Ones that are so so:

Pirtaes of the Carribean. Adding Johnny Depp into the ride and Davey Jones just seemed very stupid. Thankfully, this is only pushed down our throats a few times. Thank god, the Haunted Mansion movie bombed. I can only imagine how much that ride would have been destroyed if that wasn't the case.

Ones that worked imo:

Ellen's Energy Adventure. The original Universe of Engery was the most boring attraction in existence. The people that don't like this ride now obviously have not been on the previous version. It was something you had to sit through like a million hours of boring films that wouldn't make the cut in a High School science class to see dinosaurs for. The new version is several times more entertaining my comparsion. And unlike the Seas, the new version actually still ties in with th educational aspect of the park.

Rides that should not be touched even though people may feel a need to:

The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios. I'm just too paranoid about the fact they would try to jam in <snip> popcorn movies that aren't actually classic films to appease a bunch of idiots with no taste. The people on this ride should be exposed to actual great movies so they actually see something that doesn't use CGI and "shakey cam" to cover up a lack of actual film making and plot. Maybe they could update some of the animatronics, but the line up of films should reamin as is.

Urbss
09-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Wow, this is an extremely well written and thought out topic!! I have to admit that I agree with you on everything.

With that being said though, I am glad they changed some of the things they changed (even if I do agree with you). Like, adding Nemo and Donald Duck. My reason for this is because it allowed my wife and I to take my son on these two attractions the last 3 years (starting when he was 3 years old). He was still interested in the attractions because of the additions, and we were still able to enjoy the attraction (even if it was a bit more tacky than it was before).

I completely agree with what you said about Gilbert Godfrey and POTC.

Thanks for the great thoughts!!!

SBETigg
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I actually enjoy the addition of Donald and the caballeros to the Mexico ride. I liked the old version, too. This one leaves me indifferent. It's just a fun way to pass some time in World Showcase.

The Seas with Nemo and friends could have been better. But, I'm glad they did something. This area has needed something for a long time. We'd started avoiding the pavilion. We have great aquariums to visit elsewhere, so there was not much draw for us to hit the Living Seas. I preferred the original ride-through without characters, but that has been gone so long that some people never saw it or don't remember it.

Pirates was surprisingly well done for me. I had worried about the changes, but I thought the new animatronics were added in a way that didn't distract or take away from the classic ride as we all love it.

I completely disagree with you on the addition of Ellen to Universe of Energy. Huge mistake there. I love Ellen, but the schtick doesn't work and cheeses up the attraction in a most unappealing way for us. We haven't been back to that one in years.

As for changes in general, I see the need for occasional change, and it can't be easy because lots of us will not agree on if the change is for better or for worse, as evidenced here by us.

Ian
09-06-2011, 07:07 PM
You left out a couple of biggies from my list, the most notable of which would be the (lack of) Imagination pavilion which went from one of the absolute best attractions Disney has ever done to possibly the worst.

Also Stitch ... I wasn't a huge fan of AE, but at least it had a bit of edge and coolness to it. Stitch is just sad.

Agree with all the ones you've listed, though.

texas211
09-06-2011, 09:41 PM
The Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios. I'm just too paranoid about the fact they would try to jam in <snip> popcorn movies that aren't actually classic films to appease a bunch of idiots with no taste. The people on this ride should be exposed to actual great movies so they actually see something that doesn't use CGI and "shakey cam" to cover up a lack of actual film making and plot. Maybe they could update some of the animatronics, but the line up of films should reamin as is.

I disagree with part of it. I feel it could be updated with different classics that were influential. Maybe add in some classic WW2 movies to swap out some of the western theme, and swap out Aliens with another space movie like 2001, Star Wars, something. . I always felt that aliens didn't fit in. Not in the same league as Raiders, Wizard of Oz, etc.

Mousemates
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Ones that are so so: Pirtaes of the Carribean. Adding Johnny Depp into the ride and Davey Jones just seemed very stupid. Thankfully, this is only pushed down our throats a few times.

Kind of harsh in the wording...:confused: and while I'm not the biggest Depp fan in the world the Jack Sparrow thing takes nothing away from the attraction and adds a bit of fun.

Ones that worked imo: Ellen's Energy Adventure.
There is absolutely nothing that works about EEA. :)

I'm no big fan of the whole shaky cam thing either...I just got through enduring this again in Apollo 18...but there have been lots of films made since the ride opened that are are absolutely wonderful :cloud9:and are even better (imo) than some included in the ride. An occasional update wouldn't take away from the ride, if the movies included are truly "great."

:two cents:

Biolante
09-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I disagree with part of it. I feel it could be updated with different classics that were influential. Maybe add in some classic WW2 movies to swap out some of the western theme, and swap out Aliens with another space movie like 2001, Star Wars, something. . I always felt that aliens didn't fit in. Not in the same league as Raiders, Wizard of Oz, etc.

Alien is probalby the greatest horror movie and certainly one of the best science fiction movies ever made. It definitley belongs there. The cinematography, set design, acting, everything is amazing. I don't think you know how well regarded that movie is in critic's circles.

The ride also needs something scary, and there really isn't a horror film of that league that has that much mainstream recognition in existence.

I don't think we really need any war movies in the ride either. It would add politics and real world death and misery, which is kind of a drag for something that is supposed to be fun.

DisneyKim22
09-06-2011, 10:36 PM
You left out a couple of biggies from my list, the most notable of which would be the (lack of) Imagination pavilion which went from one of the absolute best attractions Disney has ever done to possibly the worst.

Could not agree with you more!! The original ride was a must-do every trip..... often more than once! We would spend a lot of time playing with all the exhibits in that pavillion after the ride.

Now, if we do the ride at all, we walk straight through the pavillion, check for new Figment merchandise and move on. Very, very sad.

AgentC
09-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Could not agree with you more!! The original ride was a must-do every trip..... often more than once! We would spend a lot of time playing with all the exhibits in that pavillion after the ride.

Now, if we do the ride at all, we walk straight through the pavillion, check for new Figment merchandise and move on. Very, very sad.

I agree. Imagination makes me really sad. I hadn't bothered to ride it in a long time. I took my children on it Sunday and then had to explain it used to be so so much better.

Biolante
09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I agree. Imagination makes me really sad. I hadn't bothered to ride it in a long time. I took my children on it Sunday and then had to explain it used to be so so much better.

I don't think the original dark ride was all that great. Too many stupid songs. I didn't even liked it when I was 4. The current one, that is an edit of a prior verison that I kind of liked more, definitley needs some work however.

SpecJoe Magic
09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
I don't think the original dark ride was all that great. Too many stupid songs. I didn't even liked it when I was 4. The current one, that is an edit of a prior verison that I kind of liked more, definitley needs some work however.

There was one song that was used throughout the entire original ride. So saying that there were too many stupid songs makes no sense. You could say that you didn't like that one song, but if that's the case, then you don't like the song in the current version either since it's the same tune with some different lyrics.

I think that the original version is a little overrated, but I'll still take it any day over what has been in that pavilion since then.

Biolante
09-07-2011, 06:35 AM
There was one song that was used throughout the entire original ride. So saying that there were too many stupid songs makes no sense. You could say that you didn't like that one song, but if that's the case, then you don't like the song in the current version either since it's the same tune with some different lyrics.

I think that the original version is a little overrated, but I'll still take it any day over what has been in that pavilion since then.

Ok correction, one really long annoying song.

SBETigg
09-07-2011, 06:46 AM
One big mistake for us would have been replacing Monster Sound Show (a cheesy but fun, interactive attraction that had a Martin Short-Chevy Chase movie) with the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous snoozefest. I understand there needed to be a change- it still wasn't the most exciting attraction on the block- but the change was not an improvement. And Sounds Dangerous never really took off for guests, it seems.They can do so much better.

darthmacho
09-07-2011, 07:34 AM
As opposed to the "rides that need updating" thread I think the bigger problem is Disney using advice like this to actually make attractions a lot worse.

I can think of a few that just made me angry:

The Enchanted Tikki Room Under New Management was mangled to death. I've thought this since the 90's too. Noone wants to hear Gilfred Godfrey singing, no one. They took something that was cute and quaint and made it completely corny and annoying in an attempt to hawk new characters. Thank god they went back to the original style recently.

The Mexico ride with the addition of Donald Duck and the Three Caballeros. This did nothing for the ride. It was much more enjoyable before they randomly editing Donald into every scene.

The Seas with Nemo and Friends. While, the original ride may have not been the best thing ever, just dumping character tie-ins that have little to do with the theme of structure of the pavillion or Future World was very annoying. The 3D effects while interesting, seem a bit lazy as well. Over all, this ride does nothing to teach anoyone about anything.

Ones that are so so:

Pirtaes of the Carribean. Adding Johnny Depp into the ride and Davey Jones just seemed very stupid. Thankfully, this is only pushed down our throats a few times. Thank god, the Haunted Mansion movie bombed. I can only imagine how much that ride would have been destroyed if that wasn't the case.

Ones that worked imo:

Ellen's Energy Adventure. The original Universe of Engery was the most boring attraction in existence. The people that don't like this ride now obviously have not been on the previous version. It was something you had to sit through like a million hours of boring films that wouldn't make the cut in a High School science class to see dinosaurs for. The new version is several times more entertaining my comparsion. And unlike the Seas, the new version actually still ties in with th educational aspect of the park.

I like your arguments, as they are well thought out and valid, but I respectfully disagree with most of them. I think the additions of the Caballeros, the Nemo characters, and Jack Sparrow were a success. I'm embarrassed to say I liked Under New Management too. In contrast, I would love it if they got rid of Ellen.
Most importantly though, I do agree with your final point, that the Great Movie Ride is such an underrated classic that should not be changed at this point, and for many years to come!

Butters
09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I think adding Nemo to Living Seas was a great idea. Personally I don't think it is better or worse than the old version, but for kids to see their favorite characters swimming in the ocean opens the ride up for everyone to enjoy. And the more kids that want to ride through it, the more they can learn once inside.

Energy is a boring ride, the only good thing I can think to say about that is that it saves me a trip back to the hotel to take a nap, since I just go there.

Other than that I agree with the rest of the original opinions.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
I agree with most of what you said except I do like Jack Sparrow in POTC. Also,the Great Movie Ride is and always will be my favorite ride at DHS but it could use a little updating. That doesn't mean I think they need to take out the classic scenes,just add a few snipets here and there from really good fairly recent films.

I really do not like the updated Mexico ride...completely 100% agree with that. Although I do not hate Stitch like most on here seem to, I agree Alien Encounter was a much better attraction. Enchanted Tiki Room, yep that was a disaster.

crltkcagle
09-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Y

Also Stitch ... I wasn't a huge fan of AE, but at least it had a bit of edge and coolness to it. Stitch is just sad.

i agree with that! I loved AE and wish my kids could have experienced it!

LEAVING TOMORROW NIGHT FOR DISNEY!!!

azcavalier
09-07-2011, 11:04 AM
When they update a ride like the Great Movie Ride, rather than replacing scenes, I'd rather they update the technology in the existing scenes. The audio-animatronics technology has come a long way since that ride was developed...as well as some other technologies. I liked the addition of Jack Sparrow to PoTC, but his figure is so much smoother and better than all the others, so that it stands out.

I agree that the Tiki Room under new management was not very good, but I never liked the original, so....

I'm still surprised that WDW hasn't updated the 3D movies with the newer Digital 3D technology that they used for movies like Tron: Legacy.

SandmanGStefani24
09-07-2011, 11:36 AM

cant believe how many people actually LIKE what happened to the Mexico ride. I hate how it has been dumbed down so much.
Nothing is more about the essence of Mexico than Donald Duck, right? :confused:
The ride is just silly now, and the Mrs refuses to ride it anymore, prefering to grab a snack instead.
I do admit, when I ride it I mostly imagine the old ride rather than watch the sillyness on the tv screens. :marg:

SBETigg
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
cant believe how many people actually LIKE what happened to the Mexico ride. I hate how it has been dumbed down so much.
Nothing is more about the essence of Mexico than Donald Duck, right? :confused:
The ride is just silly now, and the Mrs refuses to ride it anymore, prefering to grab a snack instead.
I do admit, when I ride it I mostly imagine the old ride rather than watch the sillyness on the tv screens. :marg:

It wasn't exactly high education previously. Adding the duck and friends did not do much to really change the ride, for me. We lost a few plugs to visit Mexico, nothing very informative about the culture or people beyond some brief PR snips in aging, grainy video clips.

DizneyRox
09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Hmmm... I didn't see a reference to SSE or O' Canada. Both good examples of the dumbing down of America IMHO.

I think we're looking at more of a rule than exceptions to ride "upgrades".

Ian
09-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Hmmm... I didn't see a reference to SSE or O' Canada. Both good examples of the dumbing down of America IMHO.

I think we're looking at more of a rule than exceptions to ride "upgrades".I haven't seen the new Canada movie yet, but I agree on SSE.

That entire attraction has most definitely downgraded over the years.

brownie
09-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I haven't seen the new Canada movie yet, but I agree on SSE.

That entire attraction has most definitely downgraded over the years.

I miss the Jeremy Irons narration, but once you know about your picture being taken, you can have some fun with that. I had my son :rotfl: between my picture and the answers we chose.

Ian
09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I miss the Jeremy Irons narration, but once you know about your picture being taken, you can have some fun with that. I had my son :rotfl: between my picture and the answers we chose.Okay, so I do agree with this. The picture part is kinda fun and yeah you can get some laughs out of it. My kids like it for sure and I find myself giggling about it from time to time, as well.

But the thing is for me that it feels cheap. And maybe it's just me being too hard on the ride, but I think it feels cheap. Not cheap in a monetary sense necessarily, but intellectually cheap.

The original Spaceship Earth was majestic. The score, the Walter Cronkite narration, the vision ... it was a truly inspiring and intellectually original attraction. I just feel like they've done away with that. It's not bad necessarily ... just different and, IMO, not as worthy of a place in a theme park as grand as Epcot.

Hog
09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I liked the addition of Jack Sparrow to PoTC, but his figure is so much smoother and better than all the others, so that it stands out.

The first time I rode this after the change I thought it was a real person I was amazed to find out it was animatronic. I think they should slowly update all animatronics in the park to be more like Captain Jack

PETE FROM NYC
09-07-2011, 05:19 PM
IMHO, both Energy and The Seas were dumbed down from learning experiences to jokes. I really can't say that Mexico has improved, either.

big blue and hairy
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
One big mistake for us would have been replacing Monster Sound Show (a cheesy but fun, interactive attraction that had a Martin Short-Chevy Chase movie) with the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous snoozefest.
Really really big mistake. Sounds Dangerous is completely lame. Monster Sound Show was fun. DW & I participated in it.

:sulley:

Biolante
09-07-2011, 06:06 PM
I agree about Space Ship Earth. It's like they didn't even try. Half of the ride is pretty much empty now.

big blue and hairy
09-07-2011, 06:08 PM
To me the most depressing update, is The Magic of Disney Animation. That was my favorite attraction in (then) Disney-MGM Studios. It was completely gutted, with a few simplistic video games, and one cool thing, The Animation Academy. To take a working animation studio with some of the funniest videos I've ever seen, and turn it into well....that... they should be ashamed. :mad:

Ian
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
You know I'll throw another one out there that a lot of people may not think of, but I miss Superstar Television at DHS. That was really fun and AI just holds very limited appeal for me.

faline
09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
The original Spaceship Earth was majestic. The score, the Walter Cronkite narration, the vision ... it was a truly inspiring and intellectually original attraction. I just feel like they've done away with that. It's not bad necessarily ... just different and, IMO, not as worthy of a place in a theme park as grand as Epcot.

I agree. The original focus of Epcot was on education. That has been badly eroded since then.

texas211
09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Alien is ... I don't think you know how well regarded that movie is in critic's circles.

I don't think we really need any war movies in the ride either. It would add politics and real world death and misery, which is kind of a drag for something that is supposed to be fun.

Many things are highly regarded by critics, I don't feel should be embedded in rides.

I'm not suggesting anything dramatic. But some of the great WW2 movies like Run Silent Run Deep, or some of the John Wayne or Robert Mitchum WW2 movies. The feel good, WW2 type movies.. I think they are an important part of cinema history, and not controversial. Especially since pretty much in ww2 is dead. Now I wouldn't put Pearl Harbor or anything more modern of WW2.

big blue and hairy
09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
You know I'll throw another one out there that a lot of people may not think of, but I miss Superstar Television at DHS. That was really fun and AI just holds very limited appeal for me.

I completely agree. Although AI is well done, I really enjoyed Superstar TV. DW and I were in that too, on the same trip as Monster Sound Show.

Mousemates
09-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Biolante

Alien is ... I don't think you know how well regarded that movie is in critic's circles.

I understand your sentiments but the reality is that there is plenty of death and misery in many of the movies already included in the ride (including Alien). A whole lot of the cowboy movies are essentially war movies (armed conflict between ranchers/homesteaders and indians). The gangster movies also have lots of real world death and misery too.

Death, misery and war itself are part of the human condition. Great movies do not avoid these issues, but find a way to show people who triumph in the midst of them. Now, I'm not saying I'm for the inclusion of a "carnage scene from Saving Private Ryan or Apocalypse Now"...but to exclude war movies in totality would be a mistake.

bertasso59
09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Imagination was the worst update ever,the original was beautiful,charming and 'imaginative'.The next incarnation was horrible and throwing Figment into just makes me miss the original even more.
I also miss The Living Seas without so much Nemo,I miss the original film here and also in The Land without Timon and Pumba.
All in all,Disney has forgotten the promise to make EPCOT more for the adults:(

Mogie
09-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I agree 100%. Taking old rides and simply injecting Disney characters to make them more relevant to today's date is a cheap method Disney has used multiple times ineffectively in my opinion. The Donald duck boat ride in mexico is terrible. The Jack Sparrow addition bothers me less since the movie did a great job of paying homage to the original rides, but still clashes obviously at some points in the ride. These rides are by far inferior to the rides that are themed from concept to creation, like Splash Mountain. Even the rides that don't have disney characters, like Exp Everest, Tower of Terror, Dinosaur etc work so well for Disney.

DizneyRox
09-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Dinosaur is actually from the 2000 Disney movie of the same name. Used to be Countdown to Extinction until the movie was released. Quite honestly, I think in the process they toned down the ride a bit as well so this might qualify as a similar problem, however I think the effects that don't work anymore are a much bigger issue with Dinosaur.

3Cabsfan
09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I'll take the "boring" Universe of Energy over the current one. I like Ellen but she does not belong in the attraction. It was a dumb idea!

texas211
09-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Death, misery and war itself are part of the human condition. Great movies do not avoid these issues, but find a way to show people who triumph in the midst of them. Now, I'm not saying I'm for the inclusion of a "carnage scene from Saving Private Ryan or Apocalypse Now"...but to exclude war movies in totality would be a mistake.

Like I said, I think the WW2 "feel good" movies were important to cinema, history. Personally Run Silent Run Deep, or The Enemy Below.

But having a flag raising, or the Saving Private troupe walking the country side is both important a nice nod to those who were there.

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Dinosaur is actually from the 2000 Disney movie of the same name. Used to be Countdown to Extinction until the movie was released. Quite honestly, I think in the process they toned down the ride a bit as well so this might qualify as a similar problem, however I think the effects that don't work anymore are a much bigger issue with Dinosaur.

Seeing how this movie was SO popular :rolleyes:, I don't understand why they stuck with this name change. Why didn't they go back after the movie flopped so hard? Why continue to associate a ride with a failed movie?

Mousemates
09-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Seeing how this movie was SO popular :rolleyes:, I don't understand why they stuck with this name change. Why didn't they go back after the movie flopped so hard? Why continue to associate a ride with a failed movie?

Why? :) Likely because the return to the original name would have required someone in management to do two things overseers and bean counters are often reluctant to do:

1. Admit a mistake was made in the first place.

2. Expend resources that could negatively impact a department's short term financial reports

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Why? :) Likely because the return to the original name would have required someone in management to do two things overseers and bean counters are often reluctant to do:

Heh heh, yeah. Disney LOVES doing this. It took them 10 years to admit it with regards to DCA...

Well then, they should have waited to change the name of the ride until AFTER they had a box office smash hit on their hands.

biodtl
09-09-2011, 12:02 PM

I couldn't agree more. I had a long gap between my last visit as a teen and my next visit on my honeymoon, which was my husband's first time. i couldn't wait to take him on the wonderful ride & explore the fun pavilion, the "rainbow tunnel" & meet Dreamfinder. Imagine my surprise when I discovered what they did to one of my favorites. I never saw the 2nd (reportedly awful) version, and I'm glad - this one was disappointing enough.

That said, we still go because my kids still love it.

McLiberal8
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Why? Likely because the return to the original name would have required someone in management to do two things overseers and bean counters are often reluctant to do:

It just so happens that Pixar's next movie in creation is a dinosaur story. Perhaps Pixar will get a bit more presence in AK soon?

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 01:29 PM
It just so happens that Pixar's next movie in creation is a dinosaur story. Perhaps Pixar will get a bit more presence in AK soon?

Uh, isn't Brave the next Pixar movie?

The Dinosaur movie is going to be a direct to dvd release, no?

McLiberal8
09-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Uh, isn't Brave the next Pixar movie?

The Dinosaur movie is going to be a direct to dvd release, no?

According to everything I read, it is a theatrical release, Nov 2013. This is the film set to come out after Brave and Monsters University. After 'Untitled Pixar Dinosaur Movie' is 'Untitled Pixar Journey Into The Human Mind Movie'.

Gator
09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I have to say that I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with you.

1. The old/new version of the Tiki Room is boring. Kids hate it - adults yawn through it. The UNM version was much better in that it was actually entertaining and funny, if annoying (which lent to its humor).

2. The old Mexico boat ride was boring, uninformative, and musically annoying. The new version is clever, funny, my kids think it's the best ride at Epcot, and it pays tribute to Vintage Disney.

3. The old clams weren't in use, so they added beloved characters to an attraction I skipped in it's old, dull, and propogandist format.

4. Adding Captain Sparrow added to the attraction without taking anything away.

5. This one tops them all. You think UOE got better with Ellen? I guess there had to be one out there. I'd rather listen to Henry Kissinger dryly toil through a bad script then here Ellen's annoying voice trying (and failing) to be funny. I keep hoping the Dinosaurs eat her at the end.

What we have is a fundamental difference in philosophy.

Terra
09-09-2011, 05:32 PM
What an interesting thread to read! I must admit, I feel rather embarrassed now.:-o While there are a few rides I don't car for, I must say that I've never [ in my 10+ years going], thought that deeply about each attraction. I'm just there escaping reality for a bit and soaking in the fun and happiness! :mickey:

MrPeetrie
09-10-2011, 09:30 AM
The other day, on one of those Internet Disney music sites, I heard the original, master copy of Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride-through. And it got me thinking: as amazing as the Jack Sparrow and Capt. Barbosa audioanimatronics are, I miss the original. I hope one day they restore it to its original glory.

I'm not saying the new version is any worse or any better (because it is well done). I just prefer the original.

Mousemates
09-10-2011, 10:26 AM
5. This one tops them all. You think UOE got better with Ellen? I guess there had to be one out there. I'd rather listen to Henry Kissinger dryly toil through a bad script then here Ellen's annoying voice trying (and failing) to be funny. I keep hoping the Dinosaurs eat her at the end.

:funny:

GoofyDriverIsBack
09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I like Ellen, never saw the previous versions. Pirates well I've only seen DL's version, I give the upgrade 2 thumbs up:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Don't like nemo (do like the movie) never saw the ride before but this cheep upgrade. They really should have done better. All I have to do is think about rides like Snow White and Peter Pan. They are well liked even in this day and age of CGI. Talk about bean counting that upgrade didn't even require talent let alone thought.

I like WDW's version of Haunted Mansion better then DL's don't know if this was an upgrade just like it better.

Dinosaur is OK, like the Indy version better. For one thing you can actually see what you are supposed to be afraid of.

Never cared for the great movie ride. I think I was spoiled. I grew up near the movieland wax museum. I think a real walk through museum would have been better.

I have seen both the old and new versions of Space Ship Earth. I like the new version better. I really like the questions and cartoon at the end. whats more you can email it to yourself and enjoy it later (also family and friends).

So I guess there is something for everyone to like/dislike and we all keep going back for more. That is what makes a vacation at WDW fun.:mickey:

texas211
09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
UOE, I did like the original moving screen. Kind of like a big rubix cube.

Mousemates
09-10-2011, 09:11 PM
So I guess there is something for everyone to like/dislike and we all keep going back for more. That is what makes a vacation at WDW fun.:mickey:

So real comment other than to say

:welcome: to Intercot

SandmanGStefani24
09-11-2011, 10:16 AM
What an interesting thread to read! I must admit, I feel rather embarrassed now.:-o While there are a few rides I don't car for, I must say that I've never [ in my 10+ years going], thought that deeply about each attraction. I'm just there escaping reality for a bit and soaking in the fun and happiness! :mickey:

Now THERE'S the best quote i've read today!
:thumbsup:

At the end of the day I think we all feel that way. People can just have strong feelings when it comes to rides they love changing.

Still...what I wouldn't give to ride the old SSE or Mexico ride one more time.:cloud9:

bertasso59
09-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Personally i dont think that box office receipts of a film should be the factor on creating an attraction.Just because a movie did poorly doesnt mean that the concept might be better utilized in a theme park ride.Splash Mountain is wildly popular but partly due to racially sensetive issues,the film has been non-existant for decades

Terra
09-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Now THERE'S the best quote i've read today!
:thumbsup:

At the end of the day I think we all feel that way. People can just have strong feelings when it comes to rides they love changing.

Still...what I wouldn't give to ride the old SSE or Mexico ride one more time.:cloud9:

I admit, I do love Spaceship Earth with Jeremy Irons. That strong voice! LOVED it!!