PDA

View Full Version : The birds at Disneyland

NewDVCowner
09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
So, I've noticed in the past that the only birds that you find at Disneyland are those cute little sparrows - okay, maybe 'only' is the wrong term for it, but I've certainly noticed that you're not seeing pigeons or seagulls around. I was curious as to how Disneyland managed to accomplish this. I went online and tried to look it up and found theories that the cats kept them away, that the fact that the cast members are so good at keeping things clean, they stay away, that they pipe in the noise of a bird in distress, which keeps them away, or that there is a certain smell that they hate that keeps them away. Regardless, it seems like there is no answer that everyone agrees on.

Does anyone know what Disney does to keep the flying rats away??? :confused:

robnadina
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I am positively no help here, but I have never thought of this! Now that you mention it, I dont think I have ever seen a pigeon. I will see what I can find out.

NotaGeek
09-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Don't forget there are lots and lots of ducks on property!

Pigeons and Seagulls are scavengers -- no food means no birds. Thank goodness!

BrerGnat
09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I think it's a combination of many factors. The cats probably do help. They keep the rodent population in check, which keeps the scavenger birds away (the big guys, like hawks and falcons, which definitely DO reside in the area). I've seen crows/black birds at Disneyland kind of often. They tend to show up in the winter months.

Pigeons are a species I've never really noticed in that general area. I lived there for quite some time, and there are plenty of outdoor spaces (parks, outdoor malls/entertainment complexes) and pigeons just don't really hang out around those places either.

As for seagulls, it's kinda far from the coast to see those. Seagulls generally don't come that far inland unless they are really hard up for food, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I do know for a fact that Disney parks use "birds in distress" calls in many of their parks on both coasts to keep the aggressive birds out of the picture. You can actually hear these sounds if you know where they are and what to listen for.

And, finally, the cleanliness helps. I mean, if there's no food garbage laying around, there's nothing there for the birds anyway. Disneyland is a very clean park.

MegaDisney
09-09-2011, 12:57 AM
I have seen literally THOUSANDS of crows in the trees behind Main Street (Adventureland) but only at certain times of the year.

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I have seen literally THOUSANDS of crows in the trees behind Main Street (Adventureland) but only at certain times of the year.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. There are certain times of the year that it's like the movie The Birds. One time, we were waiting for the Casey Jr. Circus train and I kid you not, for about a full minute, the skies were full of crows, flying over our heads. They were coming from Tomorrowland and flying towards Adventureland. It was insane! My son totally freaked out and everyone was ducking and trying not to get "bird waste" on them. :D

teamblackwell
09-16-2011, 01:39 AM
In the last 15 years or so, I haven't seen any sea gulls at DLR. Growing up in the 80's I definitly remember gulls in the park. Especially near HM. I had more than a couple of hot dogs and churro's get pooped on by gulls flying over head. Thankfully the food carts had a, no questions asked, exchange policy for pooped on snacks.