PDA

View Full Version : Leave a Legacy at Epcot

mydisneygirls
09-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Does anyone know if the wall of pictures is still there and if so, how does one go about finding info on where the tile with a picture is. I had DD's pictures taken years ago but lost the paper telling me exactly where the tile is.

mydisneygirls
09-04-2011, 02:40 PM
In case anyone was wondering the same thing, I did a google search and found the following email address: [email protected]. I sent an email and received the following response:

Thank you for contacting us. Your comments are very important to us and we look forward to assisting you with your inquiry. As you may know, the Leave A Legacy program retired in late 2007 and with that came the downsizing of the website. As a result, there has been a decrease in incoming mail and we periodically check for emails. You may anticipate a response to your message in approximately 10 to 14 days. As always, please remember if you are visiting Walt Disney World Resort in the near future, you are welcome to stop by the Camera Center at Epcot which is now our main hub for Leave A Legacy. A Cast Member will be happy to assist you in locating and viewing your tile. We hope you have a Magical day!

We will be there in 2 weeks and now that DD's are older, I think they'll get a kick out of seeing the tile with their picture in it.

I hope this info is helpful to others!

johnO
09-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I wish we would have done this. A lot of people say theyre going to move it. Wonder where they'd put it? I wonder if they do something like this or the bricks again?

texas211
09-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a brick over b/w MK and the path to the GF launch. Can't even get to it, where they built some railing.

mydisneygirls
09-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I had it done for my DDs because it was included in our vacation package many years ago. I don't think enough people were buying the tiles, so that's why they stopped it. As for the bricks, I can't believe how many there are. Maybe because of the economy is the reason they stopped both. Texas211...how frustrating you cannot see yours now. That's not right...you paid for it, you should be able to see it.

Gator
09-05-2011, 01:39 AM
There used to be a kiosk that you typed in your info and it spit our your info. We got lucky as ours was one of the last to go up. We're in the very first row when you first enter Epcot at the far left gate. Real easy to find. Hope they never move them. I always thought they looked very futuristic.

JasonH
09-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Back when it was only myself, my bro, dad and mom, mom and dad decided we should do Leave a Legacy and we got 3 tiles. Mom and dad decided to get theirs together since they allowed up to two people in one picture tile. We got very lucky with where our tiles were placed. Next trip when we went to look for them, they showed us and lo and behold, all 3 of our tiles were clustered together AND it was so far in the bottom left hand corner of the whole plate, that the location of that plate is right below our tiles. One picture taken is all it took for us to be able to remember where it was. Since then I've gotten a good enough cell phone, that I just uploaded the pic we had taken previously so I can take it with me wherever I go and can use it at Epcot to locate our tiles. :D

texas211
09-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I'd love to be able to complain to someone about the brick thing...

Wish I could get an Epcot Legacy, it is too bad about them. Though, I don't particularly like their location. I'd rather them be moved over behind SE, to where the fountains are, or behind some of the stores area... Just before the WS.

kemps@wdw
09-06-2011, 12:14 AM
we had our Legacy pics done in 2003 and find them each time we go back. I'll admit I didn't think it necessary at the time, but DH insisted that we get one together and one special for our then 10 yr old DD. And I'm very glad he did! It's wonderful to know that we'll always be a part of the "Leave a Legacy" wall. Hopefully it'll be moved to a place where everyone can still see their "legacy".

sixshot19
09-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Not to step on anyones toes, but I really dislike the leave a legacy monoliths as you enter Epcot. It to me is a visual barrier as you enter the park.

BrerGnat
09-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Not to step on anyones toes, but I really dislike the leave a legacy monoliths as you enter Epcot. It to me is a visual barrier as you enter the park.

I completely agree. To me, it is so weird to have (bad) tiny images of random people slapped all over big, ugly rocks right in front of Spaceship Earth. Bring back the old fountain and flower beds, I say! Much prettier and classic.

I have no issue with the bricks around the MK entrance. I actually think those are cool, because they are 100% non obstructive.

I have a feeling that these Leave a Legacy monoliths will simply disappear one day. I don't think they will move them. They'll just be gone with no explanation. They were only "promised" to remain for 10 years. Time's up. Move em out!

Biolante
09-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Them moving them would be the greatest news ever. The rocks are a complete eye sore. The entrance to Epcot looked so much better before they installed them.

Gator
09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Them moving them would be the greatest news ever. The rocks are a complete eye sore. The entrance to Epcot looked so much better before they installed them.

So, I'm guessing you don't have your picture on one of these. Becasue those that do like the monoliths right where they are. A PP even said the picture tiles look bad and the stone are ugly. Brass etching on polished marble? Looks very nice AND very futuristic. It is in Future World, afterall.

Disney Hungarian
09-06-2011, 08:13 PM
....... Because those that do like the monoliths right where they are.....
I do think they are an eyesore. Yet, I would be upset if they were moved. My mother had her picture taken with her late husband and it is a highlight of her trip to see it in WDW again. I do not know how I would ever explain it to her if Disney were to remove it.

mydisneygirls
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM
They may be an eyesore but for those of us that do have their picture there, it is an "Attraction." I hope they move it instead of destroying it.

Biolante
09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I do think they are an eyesore. Yet, I would be upset if they were moved. My mother had her picture taken with her late husband and it is a highlight of her trip to see it in WDW again. I do not know how I would ever explain it to her if Disney were to remove it.

How is moving them to somewhere else in Future World the same as removing them completely?

So, I'm guessing you don't have your picture on one of these. Becasue those that do like the monoliths right where they are. A PP even said the picture tiles look bad and the stone are ugly. Brass etching on polished marble? Looks very nice AND very futuristic. It is in Future World, afterall.

So because some vistiors in the past had enough extra cash to perform some very conspicuous consumption, the entrance should be uglified for everyone else?

Disney Hungarian
09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
How is moving them to somewhere else in Future World the same as removing them completely?

Either way, I will be dealing with a mentally challenged person and both scenarios would be difficult to her. I know I am being selfish. I know when they got the picture that the guarantee was for only 10 years. I get it. She doesn't.

celebrationasheley
09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I have four. Yes four leave a legacy's. One with a boyfriend who is now my ex which my husband "loves" seeing. Last time I got the "coordinates" at the gift shop on the right, facing the opening of spaceship earth. I do not know if they still give this information there...:mickey:

DisneyKim22
09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I remember when they first started doing this, my trip was scheduled for six months later. I was so worried that they'd fill all the stones before I could get there and be a part of it. :blush:

I do not have an opinion for or against the display. I don't think it detracts from the entrance, but if they removed it, I don't think I'd be that upset either. It never occured to me that it would be there forever. It was just fun to be a part of it, and know that my picture is there every day even though I'm not (lame, I know, but it makes me smile!)

Biolante
09-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Either way, I will be dealing with a mentally challenged person and both scenarios would be difficult to her. I know I am being selfish. I know when they got the picture that the guarantee was for only 10 years. I get it. She doesn't.

You can show her where it moved to. Problem solved.

SpecJoe Magic
09-07-2011, 06:02 AM
You can show her where it moved to. Problem solved.

It might not be that simple. Don't assume that a person with a mental condition can just easily accept them being moved. I'm not saying that they shouldn't move them or remove them. I'm just pointing out that dismissing it with a simple "show her where it was moved to" won't necessarily solve the problem based on what the person who knows the mentally challenged person has said.

I personally don't like the stones at all, but they really don't impact my visits all that much anyway. I think the entrance area would look much nicer without them, but I've gotten to the point where I just ignore them.

Buttercup
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
So, I'm guessing you don't have your picture on one of these. Becasue those that do like the monoliths right where they are.
Um, so you personally know all of us who have photos on Leave A Legacy? I have a photo on there, and I still don't like the location of these. So don't assume everyone feels the same as you!
I've been going to WDW since the late 70's and had the pleasure of enjoying the original entrance to Epcot before the monoliths moved in. Just do a google search of "Epcot before Monoliths" and you'll see how open, and well manicured the gardens were. No bottleneck of people trying to take their pictures in the center of the entrance -- you could get a great unobstructed picture of Spaceship Earth from anywhere in that entrance area... but not anymore. :drama:
Yes, I do have a tile on there, simply because the bricks around MK were not being sold anymore. But I would really, really prefer it if it could be moved further towards the back of Future World.

mydisneygirls
09-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Maybe some, like myself, didn't have the extra cash to have this done....it was included for FREE in the package we had. I'm sure if it was a free option for you, you're picture would be there as well. If those that don't like the look of it, and I'm not saying I do or don't because either way it doesn't bother me, they can close their eyes and keep walking. There are plenty of other things to see, yes???

rmsongs
09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
So because some vistiors in the past had enough extra cash to perform some very conspicuous consumption, the entrance should be uglified for everyone else?[/QUOTE]

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I find your comment to be insulting to those of us who chose to commemorate a very special time in our lives. It was not a case of "extra cash" or "conspicuous consumption", but rather an effort to have a nice memory of one of the few trips we would ever be able to afford to WDW.

mydisneygirls
09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
RMSongs I agree that the comment was insulting but I didn't have the guts to say it...well put!

GBBT
09-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I have a tile with my son and stepson and I think they need to be moved too.:thumbsup: Move them to the sides of the entrance.

bertasso59
09-08-2011, 11:27 AM

I agree,I miss the open space and the view of the fountain with SE behind,to me they look like tombstones

Gator
09-08-2011, 12:42 PM
While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I find your comment to be insulting to those of us who chose to commemorate a very special time in our lives. It was not a case of "extra cash" or "conspicuous consumption", but rather an effort to have a nice memory of one of the few trips we would ever be able to afford to WDW.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. While I'll admit that pics of SSE before the monliths looks nice, the pics I have WITH the monoliths looks nice as well. The difference? My picture is a "permanent" part of my favorite spot in the world. I would hope that 20 years from now, my kids will go to WDW and be able to see an etching of their parents from their honeymoon.

May they ever stand in the shadow of Spaceship Earth.

mickey_M_lvr
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Hubby and I have a tile from our honeymoon....We are going back to visit it for our 10 year ann. next week. I hope they leave it where it is.....I would love for it to be there for my son and his future significant other to see on their 10 year ann.

It's called Leave a legacy for a reason.

Just my :twocents:

Pastcastmemberdaughter
09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
If they ever decided to take down those, wouldn't they forward the tiles back to the original owners. I know a huge task but it would be nice of Disney to do and a way for those special memories to be kept.

Terra
09-09-2011, 05:41 PM
**ducks under nearest chair to avoid tomatoes** I think I'm about the only one who likes the look of these where they are :blush: It gives it a very old school futuristic feel to me [think original Time Machine movie]. What can I say, I'm weird.

Though I don't have a tile on there, I would have loved too, but we just couldn't afford to get one.

But I love looking at the pictures of other people on there. It makes me wonder about them. About what they were thinking, where they are now, if they get back to Disney often :)

Gator
09-10-2011, 11:03 PM
But I love looking at the pictures of other people on there. It makes me wonder about them. About what they were thinking, where they are now, if they get back to Disney often :)

Yessss! A perfect assessment. You win the Gator Pin!:gator:

Terra
09-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Yessss! A perfect assessment. You win the Gator Pin!:gator:

**adds to collection** Woo hoo!:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
My thoughts exactly. While I'll admit that pics of SSE before the monliths looks nice, the pics I have WITH the monoliths looks nice as well. The difference? My picture is a "permanent" part of my favorite spot in the world. I would hope that 20 years from now, my kids will go to WDW and be able to see an etching of their parents from their honeymoon.

May they ever stand in the shadow of Spaceship Earth.

Well, Disney never promised they were permanent. The agreement said the pictures could be relocated at any time and permanently removed 20 years after they were initially mounted.

I confess I do not like the monoliths, I think a little imagination could have come up with better mountings than granite monoliths and would have maintained something mire futuristic.

But, my main problem is how they jam up the exit space when trying to leave the park. Moving them to the side would open up the area and still give people a chance to find their picture.

Melanie
09-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I confess I do not like the monoliths, I think a little imagination could have come up with better mountings than granite monoliths and would have maintained something mire futuristic.

Totally agree.

That said, a very important part of INTERCOT is represented on those one of those tiles (Mel's (HarlowandtheMermaid) precious Sam :heart: ), so I get people's personal attachment. Not sure what a good solution would be.

BrerGnat
09-11-2011, 01:39 PM
That said, a very important part of INTERCOT is represented on those one of those tiles (Mel's (HarlowandtheMermaid) precious Sam :heart: ), so I get people's personal attachment. Not sure what a good solution would be.

This is a good point. I'm sure there are more than a few pictured who have passed on. I suppose their families treasure that little part of them left at WDW.

I assume the tiles are removable rather easily from the monoliths. I think they'd make a nice "wall" somewhere in Epcot, perhaps lining the Spaceship Earth tunnel, or placed along the border of the WS lagoon, along the wall there.

disneydeb
09-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Maybe some, like myself, didn't have the extra cash to have this done....it was included for FREE in the package we had. I'm sure if it was a free option for you, you're picture would be there as well. If those that don't like the look of it, and I'm not saying I do or don't because either way it doesn't bother me, they can close their eyes and keep walking. There are plenty of other things to see, yes???

Thanks for the chuckle... if I closed my eyes and kept walking, I would run into the things! LOL! I run into things anyway.

GusNJacque
09-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Mine was part of a package also so I didn't pay extra for it. One of my sisters took the tile they sent in the mail and the folder with the location and Walt's quote-shematted and framed it for me. I will always have that-it's fantastic. I wish you guys could see it!

My picture was with my Daddy whom I know will not always be with me so it is very special to me.

When it's gone it's gone. I have my picture. :mickey:

VWL Mom
09-12-2011, 07:58 AM
One of my sisters took the tile they sent in the mail and the folder with the location and Walt's quote-shematted and framed it for me. :mickey:

What a great idea! I have one of my 2 boys when they were 4 & 7 (now 16 & 19). I think I will dig the folder up and follow your sister's lead. :mickey:

We look at it every year and usually get a picture of them next to it. Younger one has the most miserable face on, he was so done with the photographer, but he's a good sport about it now.

johnO
09-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Well I personally think that Leave a Legacy, like the bricks at NK are a great idea. If they dont like them at the entrance, there are plenty of places they can be moved to. Just sayin'