PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Rehab Suggestions

Buttercup
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
So let's say you've been given a HUUUUGE bank account of money devoted to rehabbing your favorite rides! :thumbsup:

What are your Top 5 Specific Ride Improvements that you'd make, if money were no object? And they have to be improvements that aren't currently planned - stuff purely out of your own observation or imagination!

Here are mine:
1. Dim the lights on Test Track so you can't actually see the track (and can't see that you're not actually going to skid out of control during the brake test).
2. Add some audio animatronics to the Grand Fiesta Tour (specifically adding Donald, Joe Carioca and Panchito, especially at the end).
3. Add the same Disney characters to It's A Small World that they did in California.
4. Upgrade the cars in the Speedway to be electric, Cars-themed vehicles driving through Radiator Springs.
5. Make Soarin' have different, random movies that you can travel through on each trip, for more re-ride experiences.

Your turn! :mickey:
PS - I wanna hear the Intercot Podcast cover this! :D I'd be interested in hearing what Ian, Melanie, John and Gary have to say!

disney obsessed
09-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I read your tag line and was expecting a completly differant topic.

I was thinking rehab from Disney not rehab at Disney.

Funny.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-01-2011, 10:07 PM
1. Take Ellen OUT of the ride!
2. Bring Imagination BACK to the original Figment!!
3. Speedway - to electric cars
4. ANYTHING BUT Stitch - Back to Journey to Mars or the Moon ride.
5. Soarin' over other places beyond Cali.

PETE FROM NYC
09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
1.Change some of the scenes at Great Movie Ride
2.I will second the sugestion of removing Ellen, they turned a learning experience into a joke.
3.Bring Body Wars back to life.
4.Bring back the Living Seas, get rid of the cartoon characters.

Thats about all I can think of quickly.

DisneyDINK
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
1. Make Big Thunder a real thrill ride. Give it a loop. If you miss your old tame ride, relax, you'll still have every other ride in the MK.
2. Expand the Monorail to go to all of the theme parks.
3. Make the Spinning-Globe-Fire-Shooting-TV-Doohickey in Illuminations big enough to actually see the eagles, gazelles, etc.
4. Completely redo the Tiki Room, don't just settle for bringing back the old Tropical Serenade. Get some birds that reflect current technology. Heck, maybe one or two could fly. Get some holograms, new characters, effects, sounds, etc.
5. Turn the Magic Carpets of Aladin into a nice big open area.

darthmacho
09-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Fix the Yeti!
Remove Drew Carey and make a better attraction related to sound effects.
Re-imagine the Imagination Pavilion.
Make the Backlot area into a whole new themed land: More Pixar, Star Wars, or Muppets?
Go "green" with the Speedway.
:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Here are the rides/attractions that I think need some serious rehabbing or updating:

1. Backlot Tour
2. Great Movie Ride
3. Three Cabelleros-Sorry didn't like the last change
4. Ellen's Energy Adventure
5. Figment

texas211
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
1. Post armed guards around Tiki Room, and capture anyone who attempts to change it from the original fun show.
2. World Showcase. Jazz up Mexico and fix Maelstrom, and add in rides to the remaining pavilions. Especially Germany and Japan, who were intended to have rides. Maybe add a country or two like Russia or Australia. Maybe take out Morocco to make room. Make Italy into a venice like environment with waterways.
3. Build more monorails.
4. Ban the word ELLEN from anywhere in WDW, ala Pharaoh in Ten Commandments.
5. More rides at AK. Maybe something for aquatic animals like crocs or pirahnas. But also include more dark rides. Take out dinosaur and camp mickey nonsense. ALSO NO MIDWAY type stuff. You pay, you are in.
6. Take out Prince Caspian, put in more covered lines for TSM, or some place to eat.
7. Stitch, same thing. Take out, never be spoken again, put in more covered dining or a restroom. Even could be a covered character meet area.

barnaby
09-02-2011, 12:56 PM
1. Fix the Yeti in Expedition Everest
2. Update the final scene in Carousel of Progress to reflect the current technology and timeframe.
3. Update the Universe of Energy. the Dinosaur section is fine, but the films and "radio" part could be updated or changed.
4. Redo/remove/replace Sounds Dangerous. Something, anything is better then what is there.
5. Add another country to World Showcase.

minnie04
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
(Upgrade the cars in the Speedway to be electric, Cars-themed vehicles driving through Radiator Springs.)

EXCELLENT idea !!!! I would'nt change anything other than that race track. It has needed an update for years and the Cars theme would be PERFECT !!!
:flag2::flag2::trophy:

DNS
09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
1) I would agree with expanding the monorail to all theme parks and I would also say all resorts.
2) Get rid of that carnival area at Animal Kingdom and replace it with a Jungle Book ride. Or anything that is more fitting to that park!
3) Hire some creative people to redo most of the studios.
4) Seriously update innoventions.
5) Add Australia to World Showcase.
6) Change the fast food eatery at America in World Showcase to a food court with various foods with regional flair.

diz_girl
09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
6. Take out Prince Caspian

No need to spend those dollars on that - I believe that this was just announced a couple of days ago.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
In the MK...use the hugely advanced AA technology and give Hall of Presidents a MAJOR facelift.

EPCOT...restore the SE soundtrack to Walter Cronkite's greatness...or at the very least Jeremy Irons. For goodness sakes, restore Journey Into Imagination to its Figment/Dreamfinder glory. And completely rebuild the Wonders of Life pavilion.

HS...Update the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. Update the Great Movie Ride.

AK...Put more storyline into Kali River Rapids...maybe make it interactive somehow. There's just not much going on other than floating through the water with a few drops. Make it more than a way to just get wet in the hot Florida sun.

texas211
09-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Prince Caspian- Great news on its demise. Saw it, and i thought at the end it would say "now on blu-ray."

I agree on the America food. I think its a sad commentary that you go to the other countries and have all kinds of great cuisine and beverages. We have fast food burgers and chicken strips... At least have some coney's or something.

The cars idea is awesome, love it.

Kali Rapids to me is a huge disappointment. A quick drop and its over. I think the theme at AK is just so half way. Yeah, you are in the jungle, etc. But lacks more, that i would expect from Disney.

jonahbear2006
09-02-2011, 06:57 PM
1. add new scenes to carousel of progress.
2. add thrill drops to 3 caballeros.
3. add a 2nd soarin into the world showcase of foreign wonders of the world and call it Foreign Soarin'.
4. replace Sounds dangerous with a swim and dine restaurant where you can hang in the pool and watch or sit by the edge, order your dinner and eat, or enjoy a swim up bar.
5. replace energy adventure with a realistic walk through tour-ride styled similar to that of Dinosaur but you are on foot. This ride should be styled to alternate seasonally, offering 4 different movie setting rides that will all be walk through adventures that have sights, smells, thrills, and sounds to leave you wondering what's next.

Main Street Jim
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
1) Speedway: Take it from a former Speedway CM. That thing ain't goin' anywhere anytime, not even a "Cars" theme. Why? 1: They recently added Lightning McQueen and Mater to LMA over at Studios. 2: McQueen and Mater do their "meet 'n greets" at the Studios. 3: Can you imagine the *arguments* of parents - and kids - over who gets to ride in the Lightning McQueen car<s>? Maybe - *just maybe* - they'll actually FIX the cars. We tested out a hybrid car for quite some time at Speedway - over about maybe a one-year period - and they (Engineering) just couldn't keep it running. Now, as far as an "update" goes, at least for the Speedway - at the VERY least - add some *scenery* to look at. DLP's Autopia was *excellent*. A coupla years back, we even tried a "JumboTron" thing (like you see at real races) where your car would show up on the giant TV screen (it was located on the backstretch, between the Speedway and Barnstormer for a while). And before anyone says "FastPass": there's no room to put an extra queue. When we ran our extended queue during the busy seasons, the line was all the way to the big ToonTown sign past the Tea Cups.

2) Tiki does NOT need to be rehabbed any further, other than to bring back the plumbing for the Magic Fountain (the plumbing was removed to make room for the A-100 AA of Uh-Oa). That way, WDW can bring back the ENTIRE, 17-minute version of the Tropical Serenade.

3) Time for an update to Illuminations. That particular show's been around for over ten years now. Keep the same basic premise/theme, but bring in some new music and pyro.

4) FIX THE YETI to way it was intended to work. I *kinda* know what happened to it, and Engineering/Imagineering should have been able to come up with a better solution than the "B-show". That attraction was Joe Rhode's <sp?> baby; I bet he's not too happy with the way it's operating now.

5) Bring back "Fantasy in the Sky" and "Sorcery in the Sky" <-- I never got to see this one :(

richardrr
09-03-2011, 12:42 PM
1) Most definately Illuminations, loved the original with songs from each country, and the whole original soundtrack was better than the New Age stuff.
2) Imagination more like the original
3) Great Movie Ride
3) New stories, or at least dialog in Indiana Jones, legend of Lion King, etc.
4) Don't change, but maybe add new things to Jungle Cruise and Tiki Room
5) Leave Caroussel of Progress, just change last scene as previously done

HoosierDisneyFan
09-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Sounds Dangerous - removed replace / update. Love Drew Carey but this attraction needed updating
Muppets - Love the attractrion but needs a new film
Great Movie Ride - Love the attractrion but needs a few new scences
Country Bears - Long past it's prime

MrPeetrie
09-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Here are mine:
1. Dim the lights on Test Track so you can't actually see the track (and can't see that you're not actually going to skid out of control during the brake test).
2. Add some audio animatronics to the Grand Fiesta Tour (specifically adding Donald, Joe Carioca and Panchito, especially at the end).
3. Add the same Disney characters to It's A Small World that they did in California.
4. Upgrade the cars in the Speedway to be electric, Cars-themed vehicles driving through Radiator Springs.
5. Make Soarin' have different, random movies that you can travel through on each trip, for more re-ride experiences.

Buttercup, these are all great. I can't really argue with any of them and I'd like to see them all implemented.

I'll try to come up with my own.
1.) as great as the A-100 audioanimatronics are, I'd like to see Capt. Jack Sparrow and Capt. Bar OSA removed from Pirates of the Caribbean. I liked it the old way better

2.) Make Kali River Rapids a longer ride. It's over SOOOOO quickly.

3.) Revamp the entire Backstage Tour attraction so it's actually worth seeing.

4.) Put the side street back on Main Street that the Emporium "swallowed up." (Then put Donald's Christmas trees back there where hey belong.)

5.) Get rid of that silly character in Muppet 3D. I can't remember his name, but I remember he annoyed me.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-04-2011, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=MrPeetrie;2204919]3.) Revamp the entire Backstage Tour attraction so it's actually worth seeing. /QUOTE]

So true! The Backstage Tour used to be really exciting and interesting, as did all the soundstages that you were able to go through. Now its almost all gone it seems.

kcrc
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree with so many of the posts here so far! Although, I do like Ellen's Energy Adventure... sorry... hope that one doesn't change.
And, also, I love Disney. So, it's not like I'm trying to rip it apart. It's more like we love it so much that we ARE thinking about it more than the average person, and that's why these things come to mind.

My choices would be (again, echoing some others'):
MK - Speedway - do something... I don't know how the CMs that work there can breathe at the end of their shifts!
- Alladin - again, do something... do many people really go on this?
- Small World - This may sound silly, but could they actually put signs as to where each of the dolls are supposed to be from? Some are obvious... and others... not so much.
- This is not a rehab, but couldn't they find a way to loop the pathway around from Big Thunder? I don't like how that's a dead end. I know there's Tom Sawyer Island and the Liberty Belle in the way, but...something?

Epcot - Captain EO - Please just do away with this...
- Imagination - Bring back the original - or - gasp - something imaginative! There's a reason why there is never any wait time for this one. I used to love the original one!
- Soarin - This is one of my absolute favorite rides. But I do agree with some of the folks above, have rides that are different each time. And, include sites from all over the US. If they could do it for Star Tours, I'm guessing they could do it here?
- Innoventions could use some new displays. For example, adding the build your own rollercoaster was cool. Have things that don't require more than 10 - 15 minutes of time. Some of the current displays seem quite lengthy, and sorry to say, don't necessarily hold the kids interests. (The Garbage one and the Piggy Bank ones come to mind). I am absolutely ALL FOR the teaching experience. But, we have to keep them interested for them to learn!
- Would love to see an activity in each country. I know most now have a ride and/or a movie. I think each country should have something!

HS - Drew Carey - put something useable here.
- Agree with comments on backlot tour.
- This place is one that stands out to me as needing better counter service meals. I don't know why.

AK - Add some more to Rafiki's planet watch. More animals in the "petting zoo". Not sure what to add inside the building. We love taking the train out, and the scenic path to get to the building. But, once there, there's not always much to do. Maybe it's just us?

Ok - I went over my 5! I also don't think that everything needs to be related to a character/movie/show. Some of the things that have withstood the longest have done so just because they are entertaining!

Thanks for listening!

Beth

texas211
09-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I agree with so many of

AK - Add some more to Rafiki's planet watch. More animals in the "petting zoo". Not sure what to add inside the building. We love taking the train out, and the scenic path to get to the building. But, once there, there's not always much to do. Maybe it's just us?

Beth

Not just you. Rode the train for the first time this last visit. Nice train, though odd seating orientation. Wish there was more to see, as I enjoy the train ride. But once you get there, its like well, okay... Back on the train.