PDA

View Full Version : Do you always ride the monorail?

Mousemates
09-01-2011, 03:39 PM
While answering another thread I realized that while we have only stayed in the monorail resorts a handful of times, we have ridden the monorail at least once on every trip that we have taken to WDW. Just wondering what the percentage of folks were who feel the same way we do...i.e. a trip to WDW is not complete without riding the monorail.

ValenciaCalling
09-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Sometimes after MK has been closed for a little while, I'll just ride the resort loop and window shop at the GF, the Poly and the Contemporary. I just love it. :)

kakn7294
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I'd say that we probably do ride it at least once every trip but most of the time it's as a form of transportation, not because we "have" to ride the monorail to complete our trip.

faline
09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I think I ride the monorail on most trips - can't remember whether we've had a long weekend trip on occasion where we may have missed a monorail ride. It's not a must-do for us.

Mfarquar
09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
It just wouldn't be a Disney trip without a ride on the monorail! Maybe it's memories from childhood or just my favorite Disney line of all time, "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas". :cloud9:

Auntie B
09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
It is unique and fun, but not a "must-do" for us.

Renfairwedding
09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Gotta ride the rails... Mono and steam!!!!

buzznwoodysmom
09-01-2011, 05:22 PM
A trip to WDW would not be complete without a ride on the monorail. My kids have loved riding the monorail since they were babies, and I think they look at it more as an attraction than transportation. We always take a spin around the resort loop on our first night, either before or after dinner at Ohana's. Then we usually ride it several more times during our trip.

texas211
09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
We'll often take the epcot loop to mk when we leave epcot. Just to get a ride under the belt.

ltjrrich
09-01-2011, 05:44 PM
We always ride the monorail, although on our most recent trip we never got a chance to do the Epcot monorail - just the Resort one. I have to admit I was mildly disappointed. That's just how it worked out this time, we either drove to Epcot or took the bus. No need for the monorail.

Butters
09-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Because of ADRs we try to eat at Epcot a lot... So we usually take the monorail over during dinner time.

Gator
09-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Abso-freakin-lutely! I've always loved the monorail, and now my son does, too. Whenever, I go to WDW, I always plan a day when we take the monorail somewhere. Like a dinner at Chef Mickey's - then a loop around the lagoon, and then onto Epcot (which happens to be my favorite part of the ride).

Briansmom
09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Definitely! I always plan something where we can take the monorail...we especially like the ride between MK and EP. We just love it!

iceicebritney
09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
A trip is definitely not complete without riding the MK and Epcot monorail. Epcots loop is def my favorite

Pop Centurion
09-01-2011, 08:53 PM
We ride at least once every trip.

Tink#64
09-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Both loops are a must do for us each trip, whether it be for transportation or just for fun! We all enjoy the different view & perspective from the heights of the monorail! :look:

my favorite Disney line of all time, "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas". :cloud9:

:silly: This is my message alert on my cell! :silly:

Mousemates
09-02-2011, 07:44 AM
:silly: This is my message alert on my cell! :silly:

how funny...its Mrs. Mousemates message alert as well.

MrPeetrie
09-02-2011, 08:09 AM
We almost always ride it at least twice. If we have breakfast ADRs at Chef Mickey's, we will take the monorail to T&TC then switch to monorail to Epcot. (I try to schedule this each trip.) And on last full day, we take monorail from MK to Epcot.

paymerich
09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
We always ride the monorail every trip.

This last trip Aug 2 thru Aug 9th we met MonoRail BEN. Ben is a 5 year old "cast member " who only works the monorail. According to his grand parents, they come to Disney often ,locals I assume , and ONLY ride the monorails. He wears a CM costume his grandmother made for him. He gets out at every stop and replicates every sinlge thing the actual CMs do. Right down to the hand gestures! He even passes out monorail stickers and driver cards.

His GP sid they stopped going into parks because he only wanted to go back out on the monorail.

We need to start a Monorail Ben Sighting forum.

Has anyone else experienced Ben?

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Wow, I guess we are in the minority. After riding it the first time, it just hasn't been a big deal for us. It's purely for transportation.:shrug:

c&d
09-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Only occasionally do we ride it. We always manage to get stuck on it or it gets stuck somewhere. So we've found if we really need to get somewhere on time, like an ADR, we will never trust the monorail to get us there.

Bay Lake
09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I consider it to be another attraction. I have to ride.

DNS
09-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes when it is available vs. a bus. But we do not ride it just to ride it. We seem to always catch it at least once each trip though.

jonahbear2006
09-02-2011, 07:09 PM
wow, this is almost a resounding YES! and i am not suprised bc the monorail is a "ride" to us. We are always reciting, "por favor mantangase alejado des las peurtas" and when we get on the monorail the kids say it right along with the monorail. Its a big deal to all of us but its my 5 year old's favorite ride, every trip.

IloveDisney71
09-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I think I've probably ridden the monorail at least once during every trip to WDW but it's because it's been a mode of transportation for us not because it's a "must do ride".

Kathy Jetson
09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
This is a ride for us. I like to park at MK take the ferry (which is also a ride for us) to MK get on the monorail and do both loops. Thats how we like to start our vacations.

SandmanGStefani24
09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I didnt ride it last trip because the line at the tram drop off was so long. I picked the boat ride instead. I actually did enjoy the boat ride very much and got many good pix out of it, but I felt like I had missed something that trip. Gotta make up for it next time!

darthmacho
09-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Always ride it at least once, though I always intend to ride it more often than that. Maybe some day I'll stay at a monorail resort...

On a side note, whenever anyone talks about the monorail, the "Monorail Song" from the Simpsons always goes through my head. I just can't keep it out. :rolleyes:

5MemphisTiggers
09-04-2011, 03:13 PM
HAVE to ride the Monorail every time I go. "Please stand clear of the doors." It's one of many iconic things to do at WDW.

johnO
09-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Love to ride the Monorail at least once every trip.

Bellerella
09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
We didn't really ride the monorail much our first two trips because we were staying at AKL. We like to take a midday break, so we didn't really ride between Epcot and MK. Last year on our third trip, we stayed at the Poly, so we did actually use the monorail! We enjoyed using it- even if you had to stand, the monorail traveled faster than a bus so it wasn't a big deal. Next time we stay at the Poly or any monorail resort we will definitely use it!

GottaLvDisney
09-05-2011, 06:22 AM
We always ride it, usually multiple times. Its like another park ride to my kids.

RAIDER
09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Its convieniance for us ,whichever mode of transport is quicker :thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
09-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Always!!!

steamboat willy
09-06-2011, 08:17 AM
We arrive in 16 days. After checking into Allstar Music following our 10 hour drive, we take a refreshing dip in the Calypso Pool and it's off to catch The Monorail!
The first ride is our "we're here" check. Now it's time for Electrical Water Pagent and "Wishes Firework" from the beach at the Poly.
We ride the Monorail numerous times during our stay. The FIRST is always special, It's part of the Magic!

ryca1dreams
09-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Like some, I consider the monorail to be a pseudo-attraction. So, we do it at least 1-2 times. I prefer the resort boat launches. But, they are both fun.

Mogie
09-06-2011, 10:09 AM
We'll go on it if we find ourselves going from MK to Epcot. We rarely stay at a hotel with a monorail and opt for Dolphin Swan. To be honest I find that the bus system at Disney is far more efficient and available.
...on the other hand, when I was 5 years old the monorail taking you from breakfast at the hotel to the park was the coolest thing ever.

rmsongs
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
We always ride the monorail (both loops) and try to score at least one cab ride. It just wouldn't be Disney to us without it. We try to take the ferry from TTC to MK (or back) at least once each trip, but I can't imagine not riding the monorail. And, like several other posters, we often take a ride "just for fun".:thumbsup:

disneymom2000
09-07-2011, 09:58 PM
This is another must for any trip. I have to do the monorail and the Disney train around Magic Kingdom. I am excited about it this time because I am taking 7 and 9 year old boys on their first trip ever. You know how they are about any type of train.:joy::joy::train:

goofy78
09-07-2011, 11:29 PM
We ride it every time we go!

Mousemates
09-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Well two weeks have passed and it looks like the poll has pretty much run its course...was kind of surprised to see that we're not as weird as we thought we were and that over 80% agreed with our family that riding the monorail is a must-do for a trip to disney world... to us stepping on board and hearing "Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas" is a genuine part of Disney magic--not quite up there with riding Space Mountain, but for us riding the monorail is an important part of making a trip to WDW feel complete. :mickey:

EpcotFan182
09-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I love the monorail, it's so convenient and has become a big factor when choosing which resort to stay at - it always sounds better if it's attached to the monorail! :mickey:

JPL
09-18-2011, 12:41 PM
There are lots of attractions at WDW I can skip from time to time but to me nothing says WDW like riding the Monorail :mickey: For some strange reason the trip is not complete with out at least 1 ride :cloud9:

KAT1811
09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
It wouldn't be a real trip to Disney without a ride on the monerail! :mickey: