PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

mydisneygirls
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Is SM completely in the dark or can you see a little bit? Is this more like a roller coaster or drops and turns like Thunder Mountain? Believe it or not, I've never been on it but now that DDs are older, I'm trying to convince them to go on during our upcoming trip.

PirateLover
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
You can barely make out the track. It is definitely dark, but there are stars and spaceships and things flitting around. You also pass some scenes that are not in total darkness. There are no really big drops and it doesn't go upside down or anything crazy like that. It feels like you are going a lot faster than you actually are. If you are OK on Big Thunder, I'm sure you'll be fine on Space Mountain.

mydisneygirls
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks Maryanne! DDs love Thunder Mountain so I'm going to give it a try! If they get scared, they can just close their eyes!!! LOL

EJS-Houston
09-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Do you remember the rides common in amusement parks that used to be called "Wild Mouse" rides? That's what Space Mountain is, but in the dark. As previously pointed out, there are no steep drops, or loops, or corkscrews of any kind. There are just lots of sharp turns and short drops, and being in the dark, you don't seem them coming. Also, it doesn't approach anything like the speed of roller coasters.

mydisneygirls
09-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I have a feeling Space Mountain will be like Thunder Mountain. We were there 4 years ago and oldest DD was 8 then. While standing in line (TM), she was crying, shaking and jumping up and down because she didn't want to get on. Halfway through the ride I noticed she was smiling....getting off the ride she said "mom, can we go again?"

btharvey
09-01-2011, 01:32 PM
The difference between a wild mouse and a roller coaster is the abruptness of the changes in direction.

Space mountain's cars are small and the directional changes can be swift. If you tend toward the larger (and I do), be sure and site in the back-most seat of the triple-seat cars, and you'll be fine. Otherwise your inertia might make the squeezes a tad more painful than those who can more easily be tossed around.

Other than that, it's great fun!

Stu29573
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Space Mountain is actually slower than Big Thunder. (BTM averages about 30 mph, while SM is around 28 mph) It is about a minute shorter too. The highest drop is roughly fourteen feet. You won't pull any G's like you do on Big Thunder's helixes, but you will be tossed around. You can usually see the track directly in front of you, but that doesn't give you much warning!

iceicebritney
09-01-2011, 02:28 PM
If I sit up front I find I can see the track much easier. I also have incredible night vision (but terrible day vision...) My husband thinks I was an Owl in a past life. I like to close my eyes on space mountain so I can't see a thing. I think it makes the ride more fun!

Melanie
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I think it's much darker in Space Mt. now after the recent refurb. I have a hard time making anything out.

Wow, BTMRR is faster than Space Mt? I would have never guessed.

Stu29573
09-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Wow, BTMRR is faster than Space Mt? I would have never guessed.

Its the dark that does it! Personally, I think it feels like you're doing at least 45!:D

paragon
09-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I would agree with everything already said. You could always check out youtube for some video of the ride too, just to give you some type of idea.
While I am totally a roller coaster fanatic, as well as wild mouse or Galaxy rides,I am actually not a huge fan of Space Mountain. It seems just a bit too jerky for me, not as comfortable as I would like it to be, and I am by no means a large person.( 5' 7" 150lbs )

texas211
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I often youtube rides/attractions to see if i'm interested in riding, or if i'm unsure if i should ride on it.

Grumpy.
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Here's another vote for "very jerky". It's just not smooth like the other coasters. The kids do like it though...

lizzi6692
09-03-2011, 02:53 AM
I think your girls will probably love space mountain, just don't sit in the front. If you do you can see the tracks and, at least for me, that ruins it.

disneydeb
09-03-2011, 07:36 AM
My youngest did SM when she was 4.. She did great and it became her favorite ride until Rock n Rollercoaster opened!:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

:mickey:

Dopeysgal
09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I agree with everything said above.

It's a "wild mouse" and it's in the dark, so I could say i can be very disorienting. you never know that is going to happen next and you do get jostled around more than on BTMRR (I think moreso because you can't see what is coming and brace for it). It's not more intense or faster, though. The car ride design also makes me feel more exposed, I don't know how else to describe it.

I think if your kids can handle BTMRR, they can ahndle this. Just let them know it WILL be dark inside. Unless you sit in the front, you really can't see the track. You will see stars and planets,and the glow in the dark stripes on the other cars. I'd just prepare them that it will be dark, assure them that they won't go upside down, and tell them to see if they can spot any planets.

Main Street Jim
09-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Can you take the word of a long-time (almost ten years) - and most recently (and former) Space Mountain Cast Member? :thumbsup:

Biggest drop: 23 feet
Top speed: about 27 1/2 mph
Track A (Alpha) is ten feet longer than Track B (Omega)
Top of the lift hill is 77 feet above the floor
Ride time: about 2 minutes, 31 seconds (B-side); 2 minutes, 37 seconds (A-side)
It's *fairly* dark inside. When it was refurbished a couple of years ago, it was "darkened" to not allow so much "outside" (ambient) light onto the ride track.

The soundtrack, which was added later on in 2010, is *very cool*, although it's not a true on-board audio system like RnRC.

When the cars (rockets) were refurbished with the wider seats, the glow-in-the-dark stripes were removed.

As for the "largest" seat (that has the most room), as btharvey said, request the very back seat in either car (two cars per train, so seat #3 or #6).

Oh - and if you have small items that you're carrying, there's a storage net on the side of each seat. And take off them hats 'n glasses, 'cuz this here's the wildest......Oops....LOL...please secure all loose cargo :)

Mousemates
09-08-2011, 07:08 AM
thanks (again) Main Street Jim

Stu29573
09-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Can you take the word of a long-time (almost ten years) - and most recently (and former) Space Mountain Cast Member? :thumbsup:

Biggest drop: 23 feet
Top speed: about 27 1/2 mph
Track A (Alpha) is ten feet longer than Track B (Omega)
Top of the lift hill is 77 feet above the floor
Ride time: about 2 minutes, 31 seconds (B-side); 2 minutes, 37 seconds (A-side)
It's *fairly* dark inside. When it was refurbished a couple of years ago, it was "darkened" to not allow so much "outside" (ambient) light onto the ride track.

The soundtrack, which was added later on in 2010, is *very cool*, although it's not a true on-board audio system like RnRC.

When the cars (rockets) were refurbished with the wider seats, the glow-in-the-dark stripes were removed.

As for the "largest" seat (that has the most room), as btharvey said, request the very back seat in either car (two cars per train, so seat #3 or #6).

Oh - and if you have small items that you're carrying, there's a storage net on the side of each seat. And take off them hats 'n glasses, 'cuz this here's the wildest......Oops....LOL...please secure all loose cargo :)

Oops! I missed the drop by nine feet! Still, the point was it's not very big. Not bad, considering I was going by memory! Thanks Jim! :thumbsup:

mydisneygirls
09-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Thank you Main Street Jim! Are both track A and track B exactly the same?

seanyred
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
If I sit up front I find I can see the track much easier. I also have incredible night vision (but terrible day vision...) My husband thinks I was an Owl in a past life. I like to close my eyes on space mountain so I can't see a thing. I think it makes the ride more fun!

odd question but are you fair skinned? I have very fair skin and was told by my eye doctor that people with fair skin have irises that dilate more than the average person's allowing for more light. Hence we have a good night vision. But on a cloudy day I still wear sunglasses.

Thats why I like to sit in the back because if I sit up front i can see too much of the track.

Mogie
09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
The first time i rode Space Mountain it was by far the best because it felt darker than it actually was. I was also in the very first seat at the front of the rocket train. It's an "easy coaster" but you the darkness with the stars makes you not know which way youre facing or when youre going to drop/turn.
Unfortunately the next time you ride you begin to make out where the tracks and struts are and the effect of the darkness is a lot less. You should make your kids go on the ride or threaten to ground the haha theyll love it.

Main Street Jim
09-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Thank you Main Street Jim! Are both track A and track B exactly the same?Identical mirror images of each other, with the exception of Track A being just a tad longer, because it has to go over Track B at one point - well, two points, I guess, since you end up on the same side you started on.

:thumbsup: