PDA

View Full Version : Any radiologist, x-ray techs, or macHine reps out there?

Kenny1113
08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Today my son had an X-ray done and I was told something I had never heard before. The technician told me that only the lit area under the machine would be exposed to radiation. If any one has any info on this I would greatly appreciate. Thanks.

big blue and hairy
08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
That is mostly true. The lit area is where the x-rays are limited to (that is what the light is for), but there is scatter, which is a much lower amount of radiation. Make sure even though that is mostly correct that you still use the lead over reproductive organs, especially on younger patients and even more especially on female patients.

Diagnostic x-rays are nothing to be afraid of, but there is no reason not to take precautions.

:sulley:

DizneyRox
09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Hehe MacHine... ;)

citizensnoopy
09-01-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm a radiologist and agree with the previous post. The amount of radiation from scatter is nothing to worry about, but it is by no means nonexistent. There's a reason radiologists wear lead aprons and thyroid shields during fluoroscopy/interventional procedures. :)

Kenny1113
09-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Thank you! That's what I was thinking...there's a reason he is going behind the wall to shoot the image. ;) I work with X-ray as well (not the same machine used that day) so I knew X-rays do not stay in a straight line. It made me mad that he refused to give either me or even DS10 an apron evenwhen I questioned it! :mad: They were right there in the room!!!!

But thanks everyone for you info. I knew I could find someone on here. :thumbsup: