PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on weekend trip?

Aurora
08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
DH's parents have a summer house that we haven't been able to visit this year -- a six-hour drive away. We were planning on going over Labor Day weekend, but now DH has to work a few hours on Saturday. Which means we wouldn't be able to hit the road until at least mid-afternoon, and we have to return on Monday.

My kids and DH really want to go. I'm not so sure. I think we could have fun doing something else over the weekend.

What would you do?

Ian
08-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Just my opinion, but 12 hours in the car for what amounts to 48 hours worth of vacation doesn't seem worth it to me.

I think I'd try and entice the kids with some fun, local activities instead.

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2011, 02:18 PM
It probably wouldn't be worth it me either. But if it's possible or likely that you won't make it up there for the rest of the summer or early fall, you might want to go for it, to make the husband and kids happy. I know great memories of weekends spent at my folk's lake-house growing up. That kind of stuff is important to kids. :sun:

Dulcee
08-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm probably in the minority but my FI, the dog, the kitten and I routinely do 9 hours of driving on a thursday night to head to NJ until sunday to turn around and drive another 9 hours back. We moved 600 miles from our families so we probably do this hike about once a month or so to see everyone.

For us, while we've grown to hate the drive, its always been worthwhile to get that time in.

wdwfansince75
08-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Twice, while he was available for 48 hour passes, I did the 9 hour round trip to Ft Benning on Friday to pick up our Grandson, an Army Ranger, and then repeated it on Sunday to drop him off. Of course, we have also made similar drives, leaving SC on Friday and returning on Sunday, to attend Dance or Piano recitals, little league games, or soccer matches,or just to visitit the grandkids...kids, too, but they were not the real reason for the trips. And DD#2 would dothe same thing, from MD to here, with her kids (and Mandy, their dog) just to attend a play her brother was in, or directing, or just because she hadn't been here for a while.

Back in 96, DS#1, my nephew, and I decided late in the week to drive the 12 hours to NE PA to visit my dad, who was then receiving hospice care. We got to tell him how much we loved him, just 3 weeks before he died. No trip is too far for something like that.

BrerGnat
08-31-2011, 09:46 AM
We drove six hours each way to North Carolina last month to spend only about 36 hours there, turn around, and come back home. My MIL had back surgery and she usually spends the whole summer with us (she is a teacher), but this summer, since we moved and she had the surgery, she missed visiting with us and our kids. We drove up to surprise her, it was a totally last minute decision, and we couldn't stay long, but it was totally worth it to see her reaction and allow her to spend some time with her grandkids.

Now, after that trip, which was our family's first "road trip", DH and I swore we were never driving anywhere that was more than 3 hours away AGAIN. ;)

buzznwoodysmom
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
We would do it, but then again we are a family that doesn't mind driving for any kind of a vacation. If there is something fun to do locally then maybe I'd consider staying home. But if the weekend will be spent just hanging around at home then we would definitely go.

Aurora
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your input! I think I'm going to leave it up to DH, who's leaning toward not going. We may just visit family instead.

Just my opinion, but 12 hours in the car for what amounts to 48 hours worth of vacation doesn't seem worth it to me.

I think I'd try and entice the kids with some fun, local activities instead.

Ian, you're including sleep time in that 48 hours. While that IS vacation time to me, not too sure about the kids. ;)

Scar
08-31-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't know how it is in your area, but around here a 6 hour drive on Labor Day Evening is more like a 10 hour drive.

I'm probably in the minority but my FI, the dog, the kitten and I routinely do 9 hours of driving on a thursday night to head to NJ until sunday to turn around and drive another 9 hours back. We moved 600 miles from our families so we probably do this hike about once a month or so to see everyone.Wow! I live 5 minutes away from my parents and sometimes go more than a month without seeing them. And just for the record I love them dearly and we get along great.

DVC2004
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd do it. I get so bored of the same old stuff around me that I often jump in the car for a "short" weekend. We drove to Cincinatti for 1day last summer to go to King's Island and stayed over one night, we all had a blast. Life's too short, go have fun!

diz_girl
08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
I love road trips, so I'd say do it. I've driven 10 hours (each way) for a three night trip, and this weekend we'll be doing a 2 hour drive (each way) for a trip that will barely last more than 24 hours, so 6 hours for a two night trip doesn't seem so bad. You'll get all day Sunday and most of the day Monday. Hopefully, there won't be bad traffic on the drive home.