PDA

View Full Version : Artist Point or Portobello to Replace Brown Derby ADR??

wdwaggie
08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
We have ADRs for my Birthday :party: dinner at Brown Derby hoping to get over and get in line to Fantasmic!. My question is, forgetting about Fantasmic!, would Artist Point at WL or Portobello at DTD be a better dinner choice? I have never eaten at Artist Point or Portobello. Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

darthmacho
08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Artist Point is our favorite restaurant in WDW and the entire world! Strangely enough, it's been since 1999 that we ate there. It tops my ADR choices for next year's trip! :mickey: Enjoy whatever you choose.

VWL Mom
08-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Artist Point is one of our favorites. We did eat at Portobello for the first time last week and enjoyed it. I would say though, IMO unless you'll be at DTD the 40 minute bus ride from WL to DTD is a bit much just for dinner.

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Artist Point is definitely a step above Portobello, IMHO. If you have the chance, I would eat there!

AllDisney
08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Artist Point is one of our favorites. If you've not eaten there before I'd give it a chance. Don't think you'll be disappointed:mickey:

Kairi_7378
08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I have eaten at Artist's Point and at the Brown Derby. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I think that the food is more elegant at the Derby. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant, too. The decor and food at Artist's Point are more rustic and the atmosphere is more quiet. The wine list is very impressive at AP as well. DH had to choose between the two restaurants this trip and he picked AP... but it was a tough choice for him :-)

Happy early birthday!

ThanxForNoticin
09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Portobello is definitely one of our favorites. Both places are very nice, but we would absolutely head to Portobello for a terrific Italian dinner. Probably what you should do is figure out which location might be more convenient for you to get to that evening - and also check the menus and see what you'd prefer....

Mousemates
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Artist Point or ________________, you can fill in the blank with just about any restaurant of your choosing at WDW and unless its a fireworks dinner at the California Grill I am going to choose Artist Point.

iceicebritney
09-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Did you originally only choose brown derby to have the fantasmic package? Or was there a reason behind your original choice of the brown derby? I ask because I love the brown derby over both of the other restaurants you mentioned.

I am guilty myself of changing my ADR's 50x for an upcoming trip. I've learned to just go with my first instincts because there's always a reason for my original choice.

Otherwise, Artist point is a lovely restaurant. If the menu interests you more so than Brown Derby, then I would definitely recommend it if I had to pick one between AP and Portobello!

DebK
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
We love Artist Point........

wdwaggie
09-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I chose Brown Derby for my actual Birthday dinner in hopes that we could just see the Fantasmic show, not package or anything just the standard stand in line and wait, then later that night we are going over to DTD to shop. Now maybe seems like we should just do AP since we are staying at the WL and then go direct to DTD for shopping. Its our last night there so maybe well just take it easy and skip Fantasmic.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
There are really only 2 restaurants on property that would either give AP a run for its money or blow it out of the water...We always have to decide between AP and Narcoossee's. They are both absolutely wonderful...great food, great service, wonderful dining experiences. The other is Victoria & Albert's but that is truly an experience all its own.

TheRustyScupper
09-02-2011, 07:45 PM
1) I would select Artist Point as an alternative.
2) Couldn't say this six months ago.
3) But, the food and service is improving.

Our Ratings of Artist Point: (rev 8/28/2011)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff helpfulness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Artist Point was a highly respected and highly touted
eatery 2003-2007. Since that time it changed, and the food
quality and menu item uniqueness began to pale. They have lately
made some changes to revive the quality of the food and service.
It still has a way to go to live up its past reputation. Artist Point
is still a good restaurant, just not superior as it once was.

As a postscript, if you eat there, get a window table. The view of the
courtyard and lake are grand and romantic, versus just looking
at the rest of the dining room. Also, arrive early and have a drink
in the Territory Lounge. It is one of the better bars in WDW.

hoop de do
09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
We enjoyed Artist Point very much.
Which ever you choose, have a great time.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: