PDA

View Full Version : Episode 21: Stand To The Right - Walk To The Left

John
08-30-2011, 01:00 AM
The Cast: Melanie Bounds, Ian Mitchell, Jeff Latko, Gary O’Brien, Michael Montanez, John Yaglenski

Singing and Plug and Unplug out of the way early!

The Earthquake hit us & BigFoot

D23 Expo Hilights - Fantasyland & how it’s all going to come together. Crowds and lines were crazy. Too many people for too little capacity in presentations. Shopping was great. Talking Mickey is creepy?

Construction at Disneyland & Four Diamond Award

Little Mermaid Ride - Ariel’s Got A Lazy Eye? Ride is impressive - great dark ride.

INTERCOT’s Best Of - Area MusicJohn - EPCOT Entrance Medley. Gary - Fountain Area Music. Ian - Tomorrowland Area Loop 80’s era. Michael - Main Street Entrance Loop. Jeff - Stole John’s. Melanie - Tokyo Disney Sea

Tiki Room Re-Opens

Monorail Offline and Mel was there to experience it. Quickly turned into a transportation disaster when the parks are full. MAPO system was offline.

Art of Animation Resort Suites - Pricing discussion.* We don’t get it.

Why is Go.com still around? Seriously.

Mobile Magic App?* No Soup for You! Save the paper - give everyone the app free.

RFID bracelets creeping up in the news.

The episode has turned CRANKY!

Disney Chrurro Cart Girl.

Iron on shirts?* Huh?* What?

>> Download & Details Here! (http://intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2011/episode-21.asp)

Jim&AngieMarriner
08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
YEA!! Listening to it now as I start my work day.

Melanie
08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
I could have sworn you were there for this one too John. You're missing from 'The Cast'. ;)

John
08-30-2011, 01:31 PM
I could have sworn you were there for this one too John. You're missing from 'The Cast'. ;)

It was 1am when I posted this - ugh. Just in case anyone is wondering... it takes about 3 hours of post production after we record to get things online, which is why there is a delay between recording and posting.

After every show, I go back and edit in the intro, outro, music, any cuss words courtesy Ian (LOL) and our chatter before and after the segments.

Then, I listen to the whole episode again and do the shownotes.

Finally, we output it all to a MP3 file, upload it to the servers, do the webpages and post to the homepage - phew!

Sorry I am slow sometimes... but that's what's going on.

Scott C
08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
What happened to the discussion on late night dining options that was mentioned as upcoming about 10 episodes ago?? Just wondering as our trip is in 18 days.

Thanks
Scott C

iceicebritney
08-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Great podcast :rocks: Listening to this really put me in the mood for our trip in two days :mjump:

I enjoyed hearing about the D23 Expo. I wish they would hold this event in Orlando. Is there somewhere, other than social media, where we can :look: at photos that were taken by Michael and Jeff at the expo? I don't use facebook or twitter.

I'm also angry that Disney makes their Mobile App only available to Verizon customers. I would pay for it if it was available through my provider. I don't understand this new relationship with Verizon. I can remember a time in the early 2000's when anyone who had Verizon was unable to get cell service in WDW!

Ian
08-31-2011, 08:32 AM
What happened to the discussion on late night dining options that was mentioned as upcoming about 10 episodes ago?? Just wondering as our trip is in 18 days.Thanks for the reminder on this, Scott. As I'm sure you can imagine, Disney news is very fluid and we're never sure what's going to break between when we plan a show and when the show is actually recorded so, much like the follow-up DVC segments we promised, some of the other planned/promised segments have been pushed off so we could hit on the big news items.

I promise we'll try and get this segment, as well as a DVC follow-up, into our next show.

The other thing is (as I'm sure you've noticed ;)) our shows tend to run really, really long since we're having such a good time riffing on each other and just shooting the breeze, so a lot of times even segments we plan on doing as we start recording end up getting shelved.

Why do I mention this? Just in case that happens next time and neither one of the segments I just promised we'd do end up actually being a part of the show. :blush:

BrerGnat
08-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Hey Ian:

Click Here (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/08/first-look-family-suites-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/)

What a great podcast! I found myself nodding along many times and thinking to myself, "yep, yep, yep."

I am right there with John and Ian on the best background music being Epcot Entrance Medley (which I currently use as my cell's ring tone) and Tomorrowland Area Music. I also love the Illuminations Pre Show music and am stoked to know that I can essentially re-create it by using iTunes. I also have a CD, currently still in my car, that is labeled "Epcot Music 2000", and is my own compilation CD of area music and the ENTIRE Epcot monorail loop spiel, courtesy of Napster, that I burned back in 2000. ;) I have a feeling that I participated in some of those early Intercot discussion posts about sharing music.

Jeff:
NOT surprised at your reaction to Paradise Pier Hotel. DH and I refer to it as the red headed stepchild of the Disneyland resort. That place needs some major work. The slow elevators are just the tip of the iceberg.

The Disneyland Hotel really is a mess. I got lost trying to find Tangaroa Terrace when it first opened. According to a CM who works in the Fantasia gift shop, the resort completion is slated for 11/11/11. She is a LONG time CM, so I believe her. Although it looks like there is a lot to be done, they work fast over there. That entire monorail pool complex came up in a matter of a couple of months.

The Fantasy Faire announcement at Disneyland, I think, will be a replacement for what is currently the Princess Fantasy Faire meet and greet (and dress up) area in the back of the park, near Small World and the Toontown Train station. It is not an expansion, but a replacement/retheme for what goes on over there now. There is already a stage set up under a tent, so I think they are just re-purposing the area. From the concept art, this is what makes the most sense.

Loved listening in as always! You guys make me laugh every time. Keep up the good work!

John
08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Well, there might be a few ways to handle this:

Record generic segments ahead of time (though the problem is - we throw in so many current references that we'd get ourselves in trouble). We might be able to pull it off.

Tape 2 Episodes at once - each one kept to an hour or so max and then release them weekly instead of bi-weekly. Actually been thinking a lot about doing this so that our podcasts are in more manageable bitsize chunks. Would be interested to hear if folks think they run too long or if you can't get enough of that wonderful stuff....

Actually keep a record of stuff we said we'd get to later (I used to do that but somewhere along the last 40+ weeks - the idea got lost).

Also would love suggestions on recurring segments ala our Best of. Sometime during slow news weeks, it's good to have something you know you can go to - plus folks like having something to look forward to.

Just throwing out ideas not only to the participants but you the audience as well. :beer:

diz_girl
08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
...if you can't get enough of that wonderful stuff....

Yeah, that one.

Listening to it now.

AgentC
08-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Tape 2 Episodes at once - each one kept to an hour or so max and then release them weekly instead of bi-weekly. Actually been thinking a lot about doing this so that our podcasts are in more manageable bitsize chunks. Would be interested to hear if folks think they run too long or if you can't get enough of that wonderful stuff....

I like that they are long. I usually listen at work or when I have a long car ride. The longer the better for me :) but I am sad that I have to wait so long for the next one. Weekly would be cool.

Pooh Fan
08-31-2011, 12:12 PM
"Would be interested to hear if folks think they run too long or if you can't get enough of that wonderful stuff...."

Let me put it this way. If you created an intercott podcast station I would listen non-stop. I would love to have you guys release one a week appreciating that this is a big task. Like I said in review of the last episode, I'm on pins and needles waiting by the end of the 2 weeks. I think I could survive 1 week! :rocks:

John
08-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Everyone that listens needs to spread the love and tell about 5-10 people about the show...

Scott C
08-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Several points:

1) It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a list of suggested topics

2) I think that the rest of the audience would agree with me that we really don't care how long the episodes are as long as there is decent content and it remains fun to listen to. Some other WDW podcasts that I listen to can become quite tedious after a bit.

3) It seem that you have a good group going and the dynamics are working out quite well. However, it might be refreshing to occasionally call on an "expert" when examining a certain topic--don't be afraid to ask for help

4) I seems that there have been some continuing technical difficulties since the start - it would be great if you could get them resolved.

5) All in all you have a great podcast and please accept these suggestions as constuctive.

Thanks for all of the work that you all put into this

Scott C

John
08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey Scott:

The technical issues are with the folks that are on the podcast - unfortunately the computers sometimes don't like the headsets we use. That's the plug and unplug issue. I have to wonder if there is a firmware update for the model we have or something.

May need to look into a different brand of USB headset. The ones we use came highly recommended and I bought them for all the regulars.

Other than that - technically speaking the only other thing that happens is occasionally people cylon out (which is a skype thing) or drop off the call (reasons too numerous to mention).

So, we'll look into headphone thing - but other than that - from a technical standpoint things work pretty well.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Scott C
08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
You might look into an alternative to skype. DS21 just returned stateside after a year in germany for some robotics courses. We finally gave up on skype and would up using google.

Just might be worth a look

Thanks Again

Scott

John
08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Right now, we use skpe because we can conference in everyone via video and because it plays nice with PowerGrammo which we use to record the calls.

BrerGnat
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Hey John, have you looked into webcams with built in microphones? These work better than headsets for video calls. That's what we used when my husband was deployed and how we keep in touch with distant family. Not sure how they would work with recordings, but it would be one less technical thing to have "plugged in".

darthmacho
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the podcast!

Two things of note for me:

I also don't care if the podcast runs long, in fact, the longer the better, because it gets me through my work shift. I wish the podcast could be 8 hours, LOL.

As for area music, no one mentioned the Wilderness Lodge lobby music. I swear, when I walked into WL (and WDW) for the first time in 1998, the lobby music was such a perfect fit, that I instantly became a WDW zombie, never to return to the real world...

Thanks again.:mickey:

Scott C
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the podcast!

Two things of note for me:

I also don't care if the podcast runs long, in fact, the longer the better, because it gets me through my work shift. I wish the podcast could be 8 hours, LOL.

As for area music, no one mentioned the Wilderness Lodge lobby music. I swear, when I walked into WL (and WDW) for the first time in 1998, the lobby music was such a perfect fit, that I instantly became a WDW zombie, never to return to the real world...

Thanks again.:mickey:

+1 -- the only disney music on my ipod -- very relaxing

Scott C

John
08-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey John, have you looked into webcams with built in microphones? These work better than headsets for video calls. That's what we used when my husband was deployed and how we keep in touch with distant family. Not sure how they would work with recordings, but it would be one less technical thing to have "plugged in".

Nat - actually for audio quality, the headsets work best (being a radio guy - that's most important to me). Keeps the ambient noise down as well. :)

BrerGnat
08-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Nat - actually for audio quality, the headsets work best (being a radio guy - that's most important to me). Keeps the ambient noise down as well. :)

You're the expert!

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the Star Wars Vinylmation iron on. It's super cheesy, but my DH would love it. :D

John
08-31-2011, 06:31 PM
You're the expert!

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the Star Wars Vinylmation iron on. It's super cheesy, but my DH would love it. :D

Glad someone found it interesting......

Melanie
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Glad someone found it interesting......

:sleepin:

Iron on...so 1985. ;)

BrerGnat
08-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Iron on...so 1985. ;)

Hey, it's only because it's a Star Wars vinylmation design that it's interesting. The whole concept is very bizarre, and I've never even done an iron on.

I do, however, own an iron. Score one for me.

dpamac
08-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Iron on...so 1985. ;)

More like 81. By 85 we had all moved on to airbrushing.

Ian
09-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Hey Ian:

Click Here (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/08/first-look-family-suites-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/)Yeah, I found it eventually. I thought they were kind of cute, actually!

I actually sort of like the idea of taping two one hour shows at once and releasing them once a week.

Actually, maybe we could come up with a format something like the first show is about current events, breaking news, hot stories, and the like and the other is more general Disney content ... the best of segment, DVC stuff, history of Disney segments, trivia, tidbits, and stuff like that. That way the more recurring segments that keep getting pushed to the side for the "hot stories" would still get some airtime.

I'd also love to have the listeners throw out some more suggestions for recurring segments they'd like us to take up. I love doing the Best Of (it's my favorite part of every show) and I'd like to find some more like that.

I've also been toying with the idea of inviting guest contributors to the show. I think the show hosts need to put our heads together and try to figure out who/how we could get some good guests to join us ... maybe even some real Disney insiders!

Ian
09-01-2011, 09:47 AM
btw best line of the show goes to Gary for, "I didn't want to expose my kids to something I wanted to beat with a stick!" :D

Ian
09-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Iron on...so 1985. ;)'85?? Try more like '75! Iron ons were mostly comprised of Charlie's Angels, the Six Million Dollar Man, the Fonz, and Corvette Stingrays!

Hey ... sounds like one of our podcasts ...

AgentC
09-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Actually, maybe we could come up with a format something like the first show is about current events, breaking news, hot stories, and the like and the other is more general Disney content ... the best of segment, DVC stuff, history of Disney segments, trivia, tidbits, and stuff like that. That way the more recurring segments that keep getting pushed to the side for the "hot stories" would still get some airtime.

I think this is a great idea.

BrerGnat
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM
'85?? Try more like '75! Iron ons were mostly comprised of Charlie's Angels, the Six Million Dollar Man, the Fonz, and Corvette Stingrays!

Hey ... sounds like one of our podcasts ...

Which is why it's so weird that you all found it "lame"...

:razz:

BrerGnat
09-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Yes, this!

dpamac
09-01-2011, 01:41 PM
btw best line of the show goes to Gary for, "I didn't want to expose my kids to something I wanted to beat with a stick!" :D

I say that far too often.

PirateLover
09-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I didn't totally finish listening yet, still have about 40 minutes left. I don't care if they are long. We listened to about 4 of them interspersed throughout our long drive down to Florida last week. Ian, my DH gives you the big thumbs up. He does have an account and checks out the boards from time to time, but is not very active.

BIG KUDOS to the title of this episode. I never realized that this wasn't a universally understood thing until our most recent trip. I noticed it on the Land pavilion escalator (which is short, but still...) and ESPECIALLY on the Space Mountain moving walkway. We rode 3x and every time, people were just blocking up the entire thing and not letting anyone through.

My go to area music is Tower of Terror loop. Something about music from the 30s, sounding like people singing out of tin cans, really gets me. Nostalgia for a time period I didn't even live through. I know the entire hour and change loop. I actually bought an entire Bunny Berigan album because I love his trumpeting so much on "Can't Get Started."

Gary, I think I know the exact snippet of Epcot music you were talking about. It ALWAYS gets stuck in my head. I verbalize it as "Do do do do dee do do do do do doooooo." I had to stop listening after Ian started talking about Tomorrowland music so I don't know what else was covered but I have so many other faves ... World Showcase Entrance music ....MK Entrance Music... Main Street loop. And yes, I love Wilderness Lodge too. The old Wonders of Life Pavilion music. I could go on and on.

Jul
09-01-2011, 11:38 PM
'85?? Try more like '75! Iron ons were mostly comprised of Charlie's Angels, the Six Million Dollar Man, the Fonz, and Corvette Stingrays!

Ironed on to the two-toned, 3/4 length sleeved shirts. You know the ones...white shirt, colored sleeves. I still have a Queen one! (yes, the band and no, I don't wear it anymore)

2Epcot
09-02-2011, 11:04 PM

I understand that very well. I'm a TV guy, and nothing bothers me more than when people shoot stuff and use the camera mic over an external microphone. A lot of good stuff on YouTube, but would be even better if some of the people invested in a decent microphone.

I'm enjoying all the podcast, both for the quality of them, as well as the great banter between the cast. I listen to a few podcast, but I'm very selective on what I listen to. If something sounds to amateurish, I'm out.

I'm of course a big fan of the Epcot music. I also have one of the original vinyl albums I bought on one of my first trips.

The plug and unplug worked for me on a home project. I just finished replacing a spark electrode on one of my gas stove top burners, but then two other burners stopped lighting. After trying to figure it out for a while, I unplugged the wires on the good burners electrodes, and plugged them back in, and they worked. I immediately thought of the Intercot Podcast. Hey, It works for more than just headsets.

sixshot19
09-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Michael left us with a teaser about the Marvel stuff at D23. Please address it next podcast, or a post, would love to see what Disney's plans are.

John
09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I understand that very well. I'm a TV guy, and nothing bothers me more than when people shoot stuff and use the camera mic over an external microphone. A lot of good stuff on YouTube, but would be even better if some of the people invested in a decent microphone.

I'm enjoying all the podcast, both for the quality of them, as well as the great banter between the cast. I listen to a few podcast, but I'm very selective on what I listen to. If something sounds to amateurish, I'm out.

I'm of course a big fan of the Epcot music. I also have one of the original vinyl albums I bought on one of my first trips.

The plug and unplug worked for me on a home project. I just finished replacing a spark electrode on one of my gas stove top burners, but then two other burners stopped lighting. After trying to figure it out for a while, I unplugged the wires on the good burners electrodes, and plugged them back in, and they worked. I immediately thought of the Intercot Podcast. Hey, It works for more than just headsets.

I nominate for post of the year :cool:

dpamac
09-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Gary, I think I know the exact snippet of Epcot music you were talking about. It ALWAYS gets stuck in my head. I verbalize it as "Do do do do dee do do do do do doooooo."

Just reading your typed version of it gets it in my head. I just can't seem to make it come out of my mouth so it makes any sense! But it's awesome, isn't it? :D

wdwluv
09-03-2011, 07:00 PM
The other thing is (as I'm sure you've noticed ;)) our shows tend to run really, really long since we're having such a good time riffing on each other and just shooting the breeze, so a lot of times even segments we plan on doing as we start recording end up getting shelved.

Why do I mention this? Just in case that happens next time and neither one of the segments I just promised we'd do end up actually being a part of the show. :blush:

I LOVE when you start riffing on each other and shooting the breeze. I don't like the podcasts that sound like a news report. I want to hear your take on things and hear real people. I am the only person in my circle obsessed with Disney, so I need folks like you! :mickey:

AND - I am really perplexed with this AoA resort pricing. When I search for our famly of 5...2 adults and 3 kids.. for August 21 - August 27. I get the Polynesian price of $4188.39. And the AoA come up as $1748. That's a huge savings. Am I calculating something wrong? Did I NOT hear you suggest just doing a deluxe with the high prices AoA is charging? I must be missing something. :crazy:

Oh - and I must say - :rocks: Like the others, I cannot get enough of your podcasts. I tried to watch another sites video podcast, and I was watching the person eat chicken wings while they gave the podcast. :sick: I was thoroughly disgusted and haven't listened/watched since. Oh, I hope that wasn't the plan for one of your future podcasts. ;)

wdwluv
09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
And I must agree about the look of those rooms. When I first saw the rooms at the D23 in Orlando, I was thinking I want to go back to my room and relax, and this is NOT a room I would do that in! But everyone I said that to, disagreed with me. So I thought maybe I was crazy, and that I should give AoA a try. The kids will certainly love it.

Ian
09-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I tried to watch another sites video podcast, and I was watching the person eat chicken wings while they gave the podcast. :sick: I was thoroughly disgusted and haven't listened/watched since. Oh, I hope that wasn't the plan for one of your future podcasts. ;)Well there goes Gary's dream!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Okay - late coming to listening to the podcasts - listened to number 21 today while watching the ECU/S.Carolina game {Go Gamecocks} :)

Love the "banter". Love the information.
Will be listening to more in the future.

NJGIRL
09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Another great podcast guys! I have to agree with Gary, my favorite music is at the Fountain in EPCOT. That music, to me, is the spirit of Disney.

JPL
09-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I enjoyed hearing about the D23 Expo. I wish they would hold this event in Orlando. Is there somewhere, other than social media, where we can :look: at photos that were taken by Michael and Jeff at the expo? I don't use facebook or twitter.

As soon as I get a chance to upload them to Photobucket I will post a link to them I am trying to get through a ton of Pictures and videos and just not enough hours in the day!

To hold everyone over here is a link to pictures of the Disney History I took while visiting California. It Highlights Imagineering building, the original Disney Studios which is now a Supermarket, Walt & Roy's Matching houses, Shakespere Bridge which is believed to have inspired the Small World Facade, Disney Studios, El Capatain & Disney Soda Shop, Walk of Fame & Chinese Theater. Enjoy!

Disney History Tour (http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x22/JPLIntercot/Disney%20Tour%2008162011/)

DisneyKim22
09-06-2011, 12:31 PM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the podcasts!!! I haven't been active on the boards for a long time, but I've always been "visiting". I finally finished catching up with the podcasts today, and I have to say I'm sad that I don't have another one waiting for me to listent to. :blush:

I don't mind the hour and 40 minutes or more length at all!! But, I also like the idea of maybe one hour every week. I'm all for less waiting between rides....er... podcasts!

dpamac
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Well there goes Gary's dream!

I have always wanted to eat chicken wings on camera. I will have to find another outlet.

IamBelle
09-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Loved the podcast!!

I was there when the monorails were offline...it was horrible. We watched Wishes then made our way out of the park to the buses (we stayed at AsMu). They had a bus that went to the TTC along with the ferry boats. The lines to the TTC bus were from the last bus stop all the way up towards the other side of the bus terminal. The line for the TTC bus held up traffic for all of the other resort buses, it was a mess. It was our first nighttime MK visit, and I originally thought it was the monorail construction, but I heard a CM the next day saying that the monorails were back running the next day.

JPL
09-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I have always wanted to eat chicken wings on camera. I will have to find another outlet.

Good because I would have been busy the night of that taping for sure ;) :ack:

mickeyman42
09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
video would be great, since most of us have no idea what you guys/gals look like, its always nice to put a face to a voice.