PDA

View Full Version : Change of Heart :)

ValenciaCalling
08-29-2011, 02:30 PM
What's one attraction or park you used to dislike that you gradually grew to appreciate or even love over time?

My attraction was Captain EO. I was so sick of all the hype over it that my friends had to practically drag me to see it. Now it's on my list of guilty pleasures, mostly because it's so bad that it's good. haha. I have to say the pre-show montage is my favorite part. :blush:

tinkergal
08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
For me, it was the fireworks...what was wrong w/ me?? Now 'Wishes' is an absolute must!

McLiberal8
08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
I used to think The Land was boring when I was younger - now it is one of my favorite rides!

CajunDisneyDad
08-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Mine would have to be Epcot... I think that had more to do with the fact that the first time I went to Epcot, DW was dragging me around on our Honeymoon and I was just flat out tired! and she was blowing through everything like an over caffinated tazmanian devil! After she realized that it was making me miserable and would possibly scar me from future trips...she slowed down, and once I got to stop and enjoy everything that is future world and World showcase, it is my favorite park now!

Pop Centurion
08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
COP. My wife (then girlfriend) would go on twice per day we went to MK. As my appreciation for all the hidden magic & history of WDW grew I've come to really enjoy it. Now our trip wouldn't feel right at all if we didn't do it.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-29-2011, 04:29 PM
For me, it was the 1st time through the CoP (1982) - I didn't full appreciate it until we went with family (2001) and I listened to my mother as she fondly remembered "riding" it at the NY World's Fair in 1964 along with IASM, and the People Mover in it's original form.

Now that my mother and father are no longer with us, I fully appreciate the experience and the memories that I can share with my daughter also, that her grandmother shared with me.

Gator
08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Spaceship Earth. I have myself on video from my honeymoon saying that it was boring. But I can't imagine a trip without it now.

faline
08-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Jungle Cruise. I grew up watching scenes from the Jungle Cruise ride on tv. When I finally got to Disney, I guess I had built up expectations about this ride and was quite disappointed at the reality. Over time, though, I've grown to appreciate this ride as well as all the corny jokes that are told. It's certainly a favorite of mine now!

Mousemates
08-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Main Street...it used to be something we walked through on the way to the fun stuff...now it is something I truly enjoy.

kemps@wdw
08-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Country Bear Jamboree. Didn't really dislike it, just didn't consider it a must-do. Of course, now we see it pretty much each time, if just for nostalgia. DD feels the same way as I used to, but I think she'll change her opinion as she gets older too.

darthmacho
08-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Jungle Cruise. The first time I rode JC in 1998, I had enjoyed several great experiences with the live animals of Kilimanjaro Safaris, so the fake animals and corny jokes of JC seemed rather cheap to me. Having to wait over 30 minutes to ride didn't help matters, but I didn't enjoy the ride much. I was thinking, "What is this?"

It wasn't until learning about the history, back story, and started to accept the jokes as being intentionally corny, I started to like this classic WDW attraction.

Now I LOVE it!

And remember...Ginger Snaps! :gator:

Disney Hungarian
08-30-2011, 12:15 AM
I would have to say the parades. I would always run to one of the "big" rides when the parade was going. Now that I have been taking my mother, it has become a "must see" at the parks now.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-30-2011, 08:14 AM
I rated Epcot my least favorite park on my first visit, not that I didn't like it but the Disney experience was new to me and I hadn't taken time to fully appreciate it. It is now my 2nd favorite park and I couldn't imagine a DW trip without it.

Butters
08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I have to say Epcot. First time there I was 10 years old with my parents, at the time I did not appreciate all the countries, and found it boring. As an adult now my wife and I Easily spend a day in WS eating, drinking and taking in the atmosphere.

texas211
08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
World Showcase. I use to love FutureWorld at Epcot. But when were done with that, I was ready to go. I appreciate the country pavilions a lot more. Love Germany, Norway and the US.

B.O.B
08-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Epcot!

MissMaryPoppins
08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
When I was in high school I started to really appreciate EPCOT. When I was little I'd dread the day we were going to that park. I asked my mom why they'd make such a boring park and she told me it was so kids wouldn't go back to school less smart then why they went on vacation. Now I love it and could't imagine it not being there.

Joy

WVParkfan
08-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Hate to admit it, but Pirates of the Caribbean. The first time we were on PotC was our first trip to the MK, and we went without a plan. Had a bad day, and then walked forever to get on the PotC. Was so disappointed.

We skipped PotC for our next 5 visits. Finally went back a couple of years ago and LOVED it. Now we go 2 or 3 times in a row!

magicofdisney
08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Animal Kingdom. Even though it's Nahtazu, that's exactly how I perceived it in the beginning. Despite how short my days there are, I LOVE it!

laprana
08-31-2011, 10:20 AM
I used to think The Land was boring when I was younger - now it is one of my favorite rides!

:ditto: When I was a kid, I thought this was just about the most boring ride ever created! But now that I'm an adult, Living With the Land is a must do for me every trip. We did the Behind the Seeds tour last year and that made the ride even more interesting to me! :thumbsup:

ransam
08-31-2011, 11:52 AM
To me it would be Winnie the Pooh. I hated it when i first went on it. and can't say it's my favorite, but i do like it now.

wdwfansince75
08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Read through this, and hoped to see people tell me why my list of "Don't do again" needs to be edited...even though it is a very short list....(actually, Sounds Dangerously, Ellen, and anything that replaced Journey to Mars are the only "Never do again's")....but I enjoy virtually every attraction...admitedly, I only do Dumbo and the cars for DGK's....but I even enjoy them because of who is with me. There are several that I haven't done for the last several trips....but that is because there never seems enough time to do it all...didn't do much of Fantasyland this trip, but the DGK's that were with us this trip were all 10 or older. Still snuck in Philharmagic. Haven't been on the Mexican and Norwegian boat rides for several trips, nor on Tom Sawyer Island, but will correct that on next trip.

Rayadragon
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
For me it has to be It's a Small World. I (sort of) liked it as a kid, hated it as a teenager/young adult, and appreciate it a bunch now that I'm older. There's just something about the ride that's quintesentially disney to me, and I actually find the song quite charming now.

texas211
08-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Animal Kingdom. Even though it's Nahtazu, that's exactly how I perceived it in the beginning. Despite how short my days there are, I LOVE it!

I didn't like it then, i still don't like it. Though the nemo show is kinda cool. Walking around the park, is still like the bataan death march.

wdwfansince75
09-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I didn't like it then, i still don't like it. Though the nemo show is kinda cool. Walking around the park, is still like the bataan death march.

Visited Bataan, and other parts of the PI...excellent analogy! You are right!

MrPeetrie
09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Like several other posts here, it's Epcot for me.

When I first came to WDW in 1999, I didn't know much about it. I thought the Magic Kingdom WAS Walt Disney World. On our first day, we spent the entire time at Magic Kingdom and I loved it. On day two, we went to Epcot. I assumed it was another Magic Kingdom only bigger and more updated. When I got there, I was let down. The few rides we had ridden -- El Rio del Tiempo, Maelstrom, whatever came before the Nemo ride -- lacked the "magic.". They felt rushed. The park left me empty.

When I returned home, I researched WDW and Walt Disney. I learned about Walt's vision. About how they stealthily acquired the land and developed it. I learned about how they got the property zoned so they can expeditiously expand, develop, and build new projects. When I returned the following year, I had a new appreciation for both Epcot and the whole Walt Disney World.

Today, Epcot is our second favorite park and probably the park we spend the most time in on any trip. While it has improved its rides (with Soarin' and Mission: Space), that's not why we frequent this park. Epcot feels more like a wonderful social gathering place. I feel like I grow a little inside each time I come. My horizons are broadened a bit. It's beautiful.

Although it isn't true to his vision, I still think Walt would be proud of his project.

MushuGrl
09-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Mine would have to be Test Track.

My first two trips, I was terrified of Test Track. On my third trip, I went with my best friend, who's a thrill rider. I had watched the specials on Expedition Everest, and though I wasn't (at the time) a coaster enthusiast, I REALLY wanted to do this ride after those specials. So, me, being the wimp, decided to work my way up so I wouldn't be just out of my mind terrified to get on.

I started out with BTM, and then during our Epcot visit, decided to try Test Track, knowing that if I couldn't handle the speed of that ride, EE was a no-go.

LOVED IT. It's now on my multiple-ride list.

MNNHFLTX
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
:ditto:

LudwigVonDrake
09-05-2011, 01:47 PM
As I get older I appreciate Epcot more and more :mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
09-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Jungle Cruise

And remember...Ginger Snaps! :gator:

I hear she's a tough cookie.

My first visit to Animal Kingdom was less than ideal. It was in June 1998, so the park had only been open for a couple of months. It was extremely hot that day and some of the park didn't feel complete, such as the lack of water fountains. Kilimanjaro Safaris was terrible, as there were almost no animals to be seen. I'm not sure if they didn't have enough animals yet or if the animals were hiding from the vehicles because they weren't used to them. I came away from that visit with a very negative attitude towards the park.

Nowadays, it is my second favorite park in WDW and a WDW visit wouldn't feel complete without it. I still think it needs more quality attractions and indoor quick service restaurants, but it has come a long way since the year that it opened.

crltkcagle
09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
When I was a kid I hated the countries in Epcot. I was bored to death and my parents always drug us through there! When I started visting as an adult I learned to love the countries and not just for the alcohol! :D:D Now I have to fight my kids and drag them through the countries!

LEAVING TOMORROW NIGHT FOR DISNEY!!!!

rmsongs
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
My wife and I spent our honeymoon @ WDW the week EPCOT opened. We were so unimpressed with WS that we even skipped "The American Adventure". (I thought it was a Circle-Vision movie!!) On our first trip with our kids, we blasted through WS, only visiting the countries with rides. On the next trip, we started exploring the countries. Now I can't imagine NOT spending a good deal of time in WS, watching the performers, having dinner, etc. It's gone from a "forget it" to a "must do". In fact, one of our all-time favorite experiences at WDW was watching a mime in France who did a hysterical balloon animal routine.