PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene (aftermath)

minnie04
08-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Is everyone ok after the storm ???

brownie
08-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Sending this to the Water Cooler.

VWL Mom
08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
It looks like people have been checking in here
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=185036&page=2

We are very lucky. Most of our area will be without electric until Wednesday at least. The major substation flooded and there was a transformer explosion. For some reason we are on a different line and have power.

There still is a lot of flooding nearby. One of the highways actually collapsed today.

PETE FROM NYC
08-30-2011, 12:18 AM
My region got whacked good.
Other than a few downed trees, my neighborhood fared rather well.
Now, my niece on Long Island had her house with 8 " of water. Her rugs and some furniture is a lost cause.
My yacht club had a few problems too. At least I was able to move my boat to a sheltered area.
My club has a shack in the Catskill Mtns. That was almost totally wiped out. From the pix someone sent it looks like half of the mountain came in through the windows and broke everything in its path.

Ian
08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
We were very lucky ... we had zero impact from the storm. No power outages, no leaks, no storm damage, and nothing at all other than the need to stay indoors longer than we would have liked.

Even our boat survived with no damage.

disneycutie165
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
We got hit a lot harder than expected. They said for Wmsbrg, Va. we would just be getting 25-35 mph wonds- we ended up getting 78 mph at the most. Yeah, just a little off on their estimate. We lost electricity from 1:20 on saturday through yesterday morning. There were SEVERAL trees down in our neighborhood. A few houses down a man had an RV and a tree fell right across the middle of it and completely smashed it. Every power line in our neighborhood was down almost- luckily, since so many lines were down the power companies came to us pretty soon. But we noticed most trees either missed the house or just hit the corner. A miracle indeed!