PDA

View Full Version : unexpected smell memories

K8screen
08-28-2011, 11:30 AM
I have just bought a new oven. The man who fitted it told me to run it awhile before I cooked anything in it as it might smell a bit at first. I did and to my amazement it smelled exactly like the line area for PotC! This was even more amazing as I havent been to WDW for 4 years, and if anyone had asked me I wouldn't have known there was a distinctive smell in the line area there at all.
Has anyone else suddenly recognised a WDW smell they didnt even know they remembered at all?

texas211
08-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Oranges. I always remember Horizons and Living w/ the Land. Takes me right to Epcot.

disneydeb
08-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Would that be like a sulphur/ gunpowder smell?
to the OP

darthmacho
08-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Warm, humid summer mornings, when I step out my front door, I sometimes get that "Main Street rope drop" feeling...sigh. :mickey:

Maleficent_vf
08-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Perfume. I was in a mall and a lady walked by and suddenly I was transported to DTD! No idea what the perfume was...it wasn't Laila (the perfume that's available in the Norway pavilion) - that transports me back to Disney every morning when I put it on! :cloud9:

buzznwoodysmom
08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I have so many!!!

We ate at Rain Forest Cafe in Galveston this summer and as soon as I walked in it smelled exactly like the Poly. If I had closed my eyes I would have sworn I was at the Poly. The smell of water and food, and the noise of excited people, just like the Poly.

Our Target bathrooms smell just like the WDW bathrooms.

Everytime we are out shopping at night and the air is crisp and cool, and we can smell restaurants from outside it reminds me of WS in Epcot in the fall.

I also have a small fragrance machine that I ordered from a company that has the same smell used at the Beach Club resort. It only smells up our living room and the breakfast room right next to it, but it always puts a smile on my face.

I always get a new lotion from Bath and Body Works or VS before a trip. Since the smell is new to me it forever reminds me of the resort we stayed in when I first used it. When I wear it once we are back home I am taken right back to our resort and that trip. Sea Island Cotton will forever remind me of Vero Beach! Off topic, but I did the same thing when I had my kids. I bought a brand new lotion and bath gel set to bring to the hospital. Those two fragrances now remind me of when my babies were born. :cloud9:

brad192
08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
A few years ago I was in Indianapolis on business, and when I entered the lobby of the hotel I was staying at that "Disney Water" smell hit me right in the face. :cloud9: There was a large fountain in the center of the lobby that must have been sanitized by the same chemical that Disney uses (I believe it's bromine).

When I checked in, I mentioned it to the person at the counter & she said that they get those comments a lot! :mickey:

phlo8810
08-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I smell PotC all the time! Just recently I started making a new kind of french toast for the kids with sugar and vanilla extract mixed in with the eggs. When I cook the bread the smell it makes reminds us of the smell of main street. So much so they are now called main street french toast.

Kenny1113
08-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes! There is a room fragrance from bath and body works called "leaves" that smells like the 'be our guest' scene from "philharmagic". (I learned about this last year from a post on the boards :rocks:

Mogie
08-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Heinz BBQ sauce...when I smell that I go right back to the parks. Im pretty sure thats what they use at all the counter service restaurants.

...er...bathroom deodorant as well...the Disney bathrooms always smell so fresh and clean and they have a very particular air freshener in there. I get whiffs that are similar in bathrooms sometimes that remind me of them.

Last one is the "Rome is Burning" smell from Spaceship Earth...the whole ride smells like it and has been since I remember my first trip 25 years ago.

E-OR
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
This just happened to me on Friday. Was walking through a parking lot where there were several restaurants. It smelled like the lobby of AKL. Stood and closed my eyes for a few seconds just to take a break from the day and pretend I was at WDW. We will be there in 3 weeks 5 days.:thumbsup: