PDA

View Full Version : Too Old?

NH Disneyfan
08-28-2011, 11:11 AM
A lady sitting next to me on the airplane home this week said her kids - 12 & 9, are too old for DisneyWorld. She said this was her first trip, and she's never going back. She said some rides were good one time, but now that they've done it everything is boring. I'm not joking.

So, are the kids to old, or just bringing the wrong attitude? Seemed to me it started with the mom, and the kids followed. It was all kinda sad to listen to.

We had a great time! Kids 6 & 7 enjoying every minute of Pooh, Small World, Dumbo and Peter Pan. Couldn't get my 7 yr old on Splash, Space, Kali or Everest among others. Just keeps us interested for the next trip with new things to do!

AllDisney
08-28-2011, 11:37 AM
We have been going to WDW since 1984. I never get tired or bored:thumbsup:

I think some people just aren't into WDW and that's fine. Perhaps the mom isn't that into rides, maybe she was hot & miserable, maybe it ended up costing more than she really wanted to spend, maybe the lines were to long? Who knows.

I just know I'll be at WDW as long as I can afford it and I have my health:number1:

texas211
08-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Banish them to six flags.. ;)

retiredfigment
08-28-2011, 11:47 AM
MMMM, definitely mom's attitude. Too many people go to DW and only go for the rides. Wrong attitude. You have to enjoy the street shows, parades, characters, FOOD, attractions, resorts, etc. I love going just to hear, "welcome home".

darthmacho
08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
It's obviously their (bad) attitude. I'll outgrow WDW when I'm DEAD!

Our kids were a perfect 6 and 9 for our first trip as a family of four, and next trip they should be 8 and 11, which may be even better because they'll be even more mobile. To me, the older you are, the more you should appreciate it.:mickey:

HoosierDisneyFan
08-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Banish them to six flags.. ;)

Shorter lines for the rest of us!!!

nfrustaci
08-28-2011, 12:09 PM
It's obviously their (bad) attitude. I'll NEVER outgrow WDw, and I'm 40 and counting.

Our kids were a perfect 6 and 9 for our first trip as a family of four, and next trip they should be 8 and 11, which may be even better because they'll be even more mobile. To me, the older you are, the more you should appreciate it.:mickey:

here here my sentiments exactly..... my sons first trip he was still inside me. my first trip was 12 years ago and i love going every single year. going this oct for our first ever 10 day stay. very excited to have the extra time. explained to my hubby that we needed the extra time there because we havent had enough time in the parks the past 2 years with our son taking naps. he would not sleep unless we left the park. also trying the fast service this year since getting him to sit down for any length of time was almost impossible. I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF WDW. I STILL HAVE NOT DONE IT ALL YET.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree that WDW isn't for everybody. As to age ~ NEVER TOO OLD!!

We started going as adults in our 30s. My parents LOVE going and their first trip was in their 70's.

From the flip side, I can't do the all inclusive trips where all you can do is drink and sit by the pool. :ack:

You may only be young once, but you can be immature FOREVER. :thumbsup:

Maleficent_vf
08-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm hearing the opposite from a friend - her husband says their daughter (age 7) is too young for Disney! :confused::confused: She is at the perfect age IMHO.

DNS
08-28-2011, 12:53 PM
We have been going to WDW since 1984. I never get tired or bored:thumbsup:

I think some people just aren't into WDW and that's fine. Perhaps the mom isn't that into rides, maybe she was hot & miserable, maybe it ended up costing more than she really wanted to spend, maybe the lines were to long? Who knows.

I just know I'll be at WDW as long as I can afford it and I have my health:number1:

I totally agree. We had friends say the same thing after their one and only trip. But after talking to them about it, the complaints were mostly about long lines, high temps, and the cost. Also, they could never get in to eat at any of the table service restaurants and they were so sick of the fast food. Of course we know you need to plan ahead to get reservations these days. And I must admit, we enjoy it more during cooler and less crowded times.

Kairi_7378
08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Some people just aren't theme park people, let alone Disney people. I think some of these people take their families to WDW because they are constantly being told that they NEED to go and then they don't enjoy their vacation because they are so far out of the realm of things that they enjoy.

For the record, I think this is okay. There are certain vacations that I would rather not go on, too :-)

Daisy'sMom
08-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Some people just love to complain. This woman is one of them! :mickey:

JasonH
08-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I believe I know what her problem was....she didn't have planners like us here at Intercot to help her with the vacation. :number1:

But seriously, it does sound like her attitude rubbed off on her kids. People sometimes just don't realize, you need to look at it as though you're a kid yourself when entering the parks and going through them. Let your imagination explode and run free. Outside of WDW and the other Disney parks, you will rarely find another place that puts so much into the theming. And the kind of vacation each person SHOULD have takes careful planning as well as finding out strategies and tips for going through the parks. I've always told my friends, if they ever decide to take a vacation to WDW, they better come to me first so I can help them with getting the most out of their time there. :thumbsup:

Nascfan
08-28-2011, 02:29 PM
No one, and I mean NO ONE, is ever too chronilogically (sp?) too old for Disney World. Some people may be mentally too old (sounds like this may be her case) or have the wrong attitude or have misconceptions (I truly feel sorry for the folks in this category) or just don't get the magic. I'm thrilled that my almost 20 year old daughter enjoys it more each and every time we go, and very happy my family gets the magic and has the right attitude. As for the people like that lady and her kids, so be it, less people in line in front of me! :mickey:

TiggerDeb
08-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Sounds like Mom has issues... My DH and I are in our 50's our children in their 30's and grandchildren 2,4,8 and none of us can get enough Disney... Heading there in 11 days and we all cannot wait to make more memories.:mickey:

wickedgin
08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, just a bad attitude, IMO. I think some people aren't affected by the atmosphere, so WDW might as well be any other theme park to them. Or they're in the, "check this off my list" mindset and don't take time to enjoy it--they just want to do it to get it over and move on to the next thing. :confused:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with age, for me its all in your state of mind. I'll never be too old for DisneyWorld:joy:mjump:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-28-2011, 09:38 PM
To old?? NEVER!!! My daughter and I are planning a June trip for next year. Her HS graduation gift and a birthday trip for me. It has been almost 8 years since she went last and over 2 since I went last. We are both looking forward to it. She wants to get a Hidden Mickey book to have fun with and a Passporter book to journal the trip.

crltkcagle
08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm hearing the opposite from a friend - her husband says their daughter (age 7) is too young for Disney! :confused::confused: She is at the perfect age IMHO.

7 is an awesome age!! We leave in 13 days for our next trip and this will be my 6 year old's 4th trip! How old does she want her kids to be?

As for the disney is boring thing my nephews said the same thing. They went once during a crowded time on a school band trip and hated it. They never got to ride any of the really good rides and it was very planned out. So they do not want anything to do with disney. That first trip is so important when it comes to one's opinion of disney world. Like everyone else is saying shorter lines for us.

Tink#64
08-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Well we all know, there are people that "get it" and those that don't! It seems to me, so many people that I know that have taken that first trip, ill prepared, having done no homework & nary a plan, especially those that go during the heat & humidty of summer with no plan, do not enjoy WDW & vow to never return! Which is really a shame, but understandable that they might feel that way! I know people that don't even roll into the parks until noon & then comlain about the long lines & miss half of the attractions! :silly:

My DS's, 14 & 15 asked to go back to WDW this year rather than the beach trip we had planned! I'm thinking/hoping that they'll never outgrow the magic at WDW! Even my 68 DM loves WDW! But I agree 100 % that the parents attitude definitely spills over to the childs experience! I personally know alot of people that aren't Disney people! :jaw:, I get alot of grief from those friends! I just tell them that I'm in touch with my inner child & still love the magic that we experience in WDW! Everything isn't for everybody, but I think that we WDW fanactics have a hard time sometimes understanding how anyone could not "get it"! :confused:

Disney Doodle
08-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Since when are you too old to have fun?

My children (now 17, 21 and 23 so strictly not children anymore) have never tired of going to WDW and never will.

Mousemates
08-29-2011, 07:52 AM
To each his own.

luvdiznee
08-29-2011, 07:56 AM
A lady sitting next to me on the airplane home this week said her kids - 12 & 9, are too old for DisneyWorld. She said this was her first trip, and she's never going back. She said some rides were good one time, but now that they've done it everything is boring. I'm not joking.

So, are the kids to old, or just bringing the wrong attitude? Seemed to me it started with the mom, and the kids followed. It was all kinda sad to listen to.

If this was their first trip, they could have fallen into what happens to people (self included) where perhaps enough planning was not done, they just had some very high expectations and did not get to see it all. It could also have been that the crowds and heat was overwhelming to them.

When we went on our first trip, this was about 20 years ago as I was with my mom and my son who was about 3 or 4 at the time. And funny she is from Florida. So we were on a family reunion and decided to spend a day at "Disney". Well it ended up being MK for a few hours. Lots of walking around in circles a few character pictures, one or two rides and that was it. It was too overwhelming for my mother to try to figure it out. It was a last minute decision so there was no time for me to even try to look into it.

It seems based on age her kids are not too young but not knowing them can only theorize. I can't wait to start with my next generation. Bringing my grand-nephew who is 2 to the World. DD14 definitely still loves it..!

BigRedDad
08-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Too many people go to DW and only go for the rides. Wrong attitude.

This is the exact case for many people that go. They compare it to their State Fair or some cruddy state park like Six Flags, Carrowinds, King's Dominion, etc. There is nothing at these places other than running ride to ride. If you go with that attitude or agenda, then WDW is going to be boring. WDW is about the theme. performers, attractions, and rides. It is not one of those factors, it is all of them combined to immerse you into a fantasy.

The way I see it is good. One less miserable person to deal with there.

disneymom2000
08-29-2011, 08:48 AM
These are the types of people I love to deal with. I really like to sit and pick their brains about their whole experience. Earlier someone posted it could have been a series of things - costs, heat, crowds, etc. I think sometimes people just can't let themselves go and enjoy. If you think it costs too much - you are already there go ahead and enjoy everything that your costs cover. I'm 50 and can't wait to go back. Even being within 6 weeks of going again, I have already started planning my next trip after this one. I don't think I will ever get enough of the World.

T-Belle
08-29-2011, 09:09 AM
What a sad woman! Seriously-and clearly in the minority. We, like so many others, began taking our kids to WDW when they were very young and now that their adults they still love the magic and wonder that they first felt. My guess is this woman is a complainer and "glass half empty" person anyway! So, yes lady...please don't go back. Disney is for happy people!

iceicebritney
08-29-2011, 09:10 AM
those poor kids. that really is a shame. life is too short to be so negative.

gottaluvtink
08-29-2011, 10:10 AM
As I always tell my kids, "To Each Their Own!" I get so tired of hearing the same old questions every year, "You're going to DW again?" Of course some of the people asking this are the same ones who go to the SAME beach location every year! DUH! If you like something, what is wrong with doing it over and over? As far as this particular family, I'm sure the mom was not "INTO" it, and it poured over on the kids. As some others said, they probably were ill prepared and didn't know all the secrets that us regulars do, and don't we want to keep it that way? :secret:

EJS-Houston
08-29-2011, 11:20 AM

We had a great time! Kids 6 & 7 enjoying every minute of Pooh, Small World, Dumbo and Peter Pan. Couldn't get my 7 yr old on Splash, Space, Kali or Everest among others. Just keeps us interested for the next trip with new things to do!

I think you nailed it...lousy attitude. I'll be 52 when I'm next there this November, I have no kids and no plan to have kids...and I LOVE it every single time I visit DisneyWorld!

Also, my parents, who are coming with me this November, aren't at all into thrill rides, and they're champing at the bit to get there as well.

Mogie
08-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah tell that lady to go to Six Flags or Busch Gardens...see if they can tell the difference between that and Disney. If they can't then she must be in a coma.
The more I go to Disney the more I want to go back. And I get spoiled and other amusement parks are filthy, chaotic and subpar on every level.

grumpyguy
08-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Blasphemy !! That family is just lucky I wasn't sitting next to them.Yet another snapshot of why society is what it is today...
I think a small dose of WDW in everyone's day
would make this world a better place.:cloud9:

ransam
08-29-2011, 01:27 PM
i have a lady here are work that likes disney a lot, but prefers Universal because of thrill rides.
I have another friend that thought Disney was for kids, and went w/ her friend's family and loves it now.
I think it just depends on the person. Disney isn't for everyone, and that's cool. People have different tastes....
for me, I will always love Disney.

big blue and hairy
08-29-2011, 01:38 PM

What? You're not going have your ashes spread in the Haunted Mansion?!

:sulley:

Lisaj13
08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I just got back from the World on August 25th. I was there with my two daughters who are 18 and 15, and we all had a great time.

Age has nothing to do with it!

MrPeetrie
08-29-2011, 06:32 PM
It seems to me, when it comes to Disney you either "Get It" or you don't. There's not much middle ground.

Those that don't always seem to find it either too crowded, too expensive, too tame or babyfied, or too tough to navigate.

Those of us here that do get it know it's not about thrill rides or any of that other stuff. It's about being with family and friends in the best place to spend time together.

Another post questions whether Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is lame. Maybe it is to me, as well as many others. But this year, my daughter will be able to ride it and I'm betting it quickly becomes one of her favorite rides. That means I get to ride it with her over and over again and watch her excitement. There's nothing lame about that. And that's why we come.

It's the perfect place to spend time with family and friends. And I'm sorry that other family missed that.

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
We just returned from our annual trip to WDW yesterday morning.

The ages in our group ranged from 21 - 61 (my 71 yr old MIL had to cancel at the last minute) and everybody found plenty of things to enjoy.:thumbsup:

While we were still there we started plotting next year's trip which hopefully will include my wife's cousin and her 3 kids who will be 6 - 4 -3.

If you are looking for reasons NOT to have a good time you will find them; whether it be crowds, prices, weather or whatever. :humph:

kemps@wdw
08-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately, some people just don't "get it" and that's OK. Sad...but OK. I have a feeling that her kids may not feel the same way. Even @ 50...something and over 35 years of visiting the World, I still get excited at the prospect or mere discussion of a return visit. And, don't EVEN get me started on finding out if someone I know is planning their 1st trip! If they're not excited (and they shouldn't be going if they're not), they certainly will be after I'm done! :thumbsup:

Ed
08-29-2011, 11:25 PM

Why stop then ? I've got my seat reserved at the banquet table in the Haunted Mansion. :hmghost:

You may only be young once, but you can be immature FOREVER. :thumbsup:

Truer words were never spoken. I'm living proof! :D

JasonH
08-30-2011, 01:38 AM
And it's not just the family and friends that you want to be with either as mentioned by several posters. Even those of us that have gone solo have the greatest time in the world. 3 solo trips, you'd think I'd be only wanting to go with family or friends, thinking that I've had my fill of going it solo. Not so, not by a long shot! I'm waiting for the day I take another solo trip that's longer than my longest trip ever down there, which is 2 weeks. If someone says it was a waste of their time goin down there or it's too kiddish, not thrilling enough, have them sit down with me and I'll find out what was wrong and set them on the right path. :thumbsup:

K8screen
08-30-2011, 06:18 AM
We love WDW, but we must remember its not for everyone, and age has nothing to do with it. Many people have other types of vacation that they love, whether its lying on a beach, climbing Everest (the original one!) or learning to play golf, which many of us would never choose to do. It doesn't make them or us wrong, just different, and thats great by me.

Dulcee
08-30-2011, 08:05 AM
First trip at 6 months old....next trip I'll be 25 and have just gotten married. I'll never be "too old."

On the flip side, my fiance and I went to Carowinds a few days ago for a night (similar to six flags) and decided we are entirely too old to run from roller coaster to roller coaster in these types of parks. Ugh. Definitely wasn't up to Disney standards.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-30-2011, 08:11 AM
What? You're not going have your ashes spread in the Haunted Mansion?!

:sulley:

Can we do that?:laughing::funny:

Mickey'sGirl
08-30-2011, 10:19 AM
I kind of understand this. My kids (aged 13 and 7) still love Disney (YAY :clappy: ). BUT, they have been going at least once per year since they were babies. They still choose to go back, and they "get it".

My niece is 16, and just returned from a visit with her twin step sisters (aged 19), who thought MK was pretty lame ... that there wasn't much to do. The next day they went to Universal and had a fabulous time. I think that they were introduced to the Disney Theme park experience at the wrong time. They are all about thrill rides and what to do next as opposed to just doing the parks, you know what I mean?

jonahbear2006
08-30-2011, 03:15 PM
my guess that either one of two things is happening.
1. they allow their children to be way too grown up for their own good all year round, at home..or......
2. their parents were not trying very hard to bring the magic out for themselves and the children followed suit.

PEDSNURSE
08-30-2011, 05:42 PM
I am waaaaay too old for Six Flags but never Disney! Its just a fun atmosphere and generally everyone is happy to be there.
My kids went for the first time at 3 and 5, loved it! again at 6 and 8, LOVED it and we are going again in a month and they will be 12 and 14 and we are staying in a pirate room (because i waited too long to book the trip) and they are very excited about it, even the pirate part. They are two teenage girls but they are willing to sacrifice and stay in Pirate quarters just to go back to Disney. In fact, I think the 14 year old is the most excited... well, behind me and her Dad.

:mickey:

MissMaryPoppins
08-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't get how you can be too old for Disney World! Before I moved to Florida,my parents had just settled into their house near Disney and I was excited to finally get to see Disney World at Christmas. A few days before I was flying down the girl doing my manicure asked me what I was doing for Christmas and I told her. She said she thought I told her I didn't have kids. I told her she was right, I didn't. So she asked me why I was going. I couldn't think of a snappy come back fast enough so I just told her I was going to be near it and had never seen it at Christmas. she loomed at me like I was nuts. My aunts sister told me her kids weren't interested in going because they liked the boardwalk on the Jersey Shore and didn't think Disney World was better than that. I grew up loving the boardwalk too but you can't compare it to Disney World.

Joy

WVParkfan
08-31-2011, 07:50 AM
In all fairness to the OP, she probably spent too much time at the Magic Kingdom... a mistake that way too many first-time visitors make. Fantasyland is for little kids (I know, I know - it's "magical" to us older kids, too). Many teens or pre-teens wouldn't be caught dead in "kiddie land."

That's why it is so important to explore all 4 of the parks, and not spend all of your time at the MK. There's no "too old" for Future World in Epcot or the Safari at the AK or Rock n' Roller Coaster at DHS.

So, when someone says that their kids are "too old" for Disney World, they probably spent all of their time at the MK and didn't explore the other parks. Our 17 year old son and 11 year old daughter LOVE Disney. But we don't spend all of our time at the MK.

Boost
09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Our family definitely falls into the category of "WDW Fanatics". We have several friends who refer to us as the "Disney Family" in our circle of friends. My grandparents took me when I was a toddler and I loved going to the parks when I was in high school. I was a cast member in '88 and on my breaks/lunches, my favorite thing to do was to ride Horizons and World of Motion (now Test Track). I have been (and will always be) fascinated by the World of Disney. My wife and I have apparently gotten all three of our children (two boys and a girl...err...princess) interested and excited about going to the parks.

We live about an hour away and one of our traditions is to raise our hands in the air when driving under the Mickey/Minnie sign just before the MK Maingate. We all yell "Yayy!!!" and it's cheesy, funny and fun all at the same time.

My wife and I are discerning enough to know the difference in the quality of anything Disney vs. anything else out there. I agree with those of you that have posted "to each his own". There are CLEARLY people who gripe and complain about the heat, the lines, what things cost and many other aspects of their trip.

We were driving home the other night after a day trip to WDW and passing another attraction's sign, I remarked to my wife that we have never taken the kids there. Since we are WDW passholders, we want to use our passes as much as possible.

Anyway, we love Disney and we always will!!!!

johnO
09-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Never too old for WDW

Terra
09-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I lived in Santa Monica as a young child and went quite often. Moved to AZ, as an older child and went back a time or too. Have gone to WDW for 12 plus years as an adult. I'm 40 years old with 2 sons, 4.5 and 3 and we aren't even close to tired of it!:mickey:

Disneypixie513
09-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I've been to WDW 15 times and once to DL. I could never, ever get bored with it. I feel like everytime is my first time there. I still feel the magic. I tear up during the parades and Wishes. I still feel like jumping up and down when I'm in line for the characters.

Example, my friend and I were in line for the Princesses over Labor Day weekend and we were talking and giggling excitedly for our turn to get to meet our favorite princess, Belle. The CM came up to us and said that we were more excited then some of the 5 year olds. We looked at each other, smiled, and said "Yeah probably." We're both 19 years old and sophmores in college. :mickey:

Main Street Jim
09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
"You're never too old for Disney..."

There's a FaceBook app for that :)

I've been going since February of 1972 - I was six months old. I worked there for almost ten years. Took my oldest daughter the first time in 1989 (she was three months old). Took my son for the first time when he was about three and a half (in 1995), and my youngest in 1998, when she was about a year. When we moved back to Florida in 1999, we got AP's and were at the parks almost every weekend - and sometimes almost every night during the week, making the 70-mile trip in the evenings just to see MSEP and/or Tapestry of Nations/Dreams.

When I started working there in 2001, the kids were 11, 9, and 4. We went to the parks *constantly* - and the older two *never* complained about "being bored" with it. Now that my oldest has a daughter of her own - she's now a year old - the grandbaby's already been twice. My son, who's in the Navy now, stationed up at Pensacola, wanted to make a road trip with his buddies down to Orlando, but they were tellin' him "that place is for kids". My son, who's 19 now, went down by himself (got the military discount...LOL). My youngest hasn't been in about 4 years, but that's because she lives with her mom in Maryland now. When I talk to her on the phone, though, she tells me she misses going to the parks all the time.

You can never outgrow it :) There's just something....*special* :magic: that Disney - and not just the parks - does to you.

I'm 41 years old - and I cried today watching "Cars"...LOL

Zawadi
09-25-2011, 08:41 AM
We first experienced Disney in 1998, in our early 30s.

We still enjoy the big-thrill rollercoasters of theme parks but keep returning to Disney (WDW, California & Paris) due to the atmosphere and attention to detail.

14 years on (Sept 2012), from our first trip, we will have been lucky enough to travel from the UK to visit WDW three times (total of 5 weeks) and Paris once within 24 months.

We definitely do not consider ourselves too old :)

PS: We are considering a holiday to California in 2013 and will just have to call in at Anaheim.

minnie-mouse
09-25-2011, 10:32 AM
You are never too old for Disney World, it s meant to be a family vacation, for children and adults of all ages! Every time we go our girls are a little older and every trip is different and more fun than the last one. It is meant to be time spent with your family having fun! Obviously, this woman you met never instilled the idea of "disney magic" in her children. My girls will love it even when they are older because it reminds them of being a kid and being with family building wonderful memories. You never get a second chance to do your childhood over.

AdventurerKim
09-25-2011, 10:36 AM
We will never get tired or bored with WDW! I've been going since 1980 and look forward to every trip with great anticipation, as I am hoping this week goes by in a snap so we can get there on Friday! :mickey:

My DH agreed with "shorter lines for the rest of us." :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
09-25-2011, 11:56 AM
No one is too old for WDW. It's a magical place for the young and old.

TheHD
09-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I've been to DL 20+ times and DW four times now since 2000. I prefer going to the world much more than DL (probably because I grew up around DL and there's much more to do) and will never get tired of it. DW is the only major vacation trip we plan every 2-3 years. My DW often thinks of going somewhere else for our major vacation, but I always convince her that DW would be much more fun. Case in point, we're headed there in November about 2 years since the last time, even though she said we had to wait 3 years :) My DD is 13 and still looks to get character autographs and photographs.

DW is an amazing place and will continue to be just for the atmosphere alone.

Wolf
10-03-2011, 10:18 AM
:ack: That woman annoys me and I've never laid eyes on her...I never went to WDW until I was 15 because we could never afford it. I'm 24 now and taking my Mom at the end of this week for another trip. In 9 years since we first went for 3 days around Christmas time and had no idea what we were getting into we have gone I think 7 times and this time I planned most of this trip without her even knowing about it so I could suprise her. I cannot imagine outgrowing Disney, I'd rather be shot I think...Im a proud "victim" of having Peter Pan Syndrome...I'm never gona grow up and I'm good with that. :mickey:

mousetrapper
10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I guess it's to each his/her own, but our DDs love WDW even more than they did when they were little! Our first trip as a family was in 1999 when they were 8 & 5, and we decided to try to go every other year.

Each time the WDW year would roll around, we'd ask them if they still wanted to go to WDW or if they wanted to try someplace new. They'd look at us like we had three heads!

Now they're 20 & 17, and they both say they love WDW more each time we go. They're even starting to talk about keeping up the tradition of going as a family every other year, even after they're married with families of their own!

Warms my heart...:D

MKFD43
10-05-2011, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=darthmacho;2202984]It's obviously their (bad) attitude. I'll outgrow WDW when I'm DEAD!

I'm hoping to be able to be a ghost in WDW after I pass. I'll never outgrow it!

dizneydeb22
10-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I have a sister and brother in law similar to the woman you encountered. We go to WDW every year and every year they say, "Our kids are too old and won't want to go!" Well needless to say, every year, my husband, myself, our son and their 3 sons, now 19, 20, and 20 take the trip! This year they all took their girlfriends and we made it a roadtrip! It was one of the best times we have had yet! We have already planned our trip for Oct 2012! And guess who's going....yup....the 3 boys and possibly girlfriends again!!

I don't think age has anything to do with it. Either you're into Disney or you're not!

Ksmith75
10-06-2011, 03:05 PM
My DH and I are in are mid 30's and we love the place! I didnt get to go until 5 years ago, so I feel like I have alot of time to make up. Mon-Fri, I am all business, in business clothes and what not (expect a mickey ring)..but on the weekends, I always have something from WDW on, sometimes even a few things.

And yes, our Duffy sits on the couch!!!

I find WDW a magical, enchanting place and will never outgrow it, it is my DH's and my "Happy Place"....

kdsjjb
10-29-2011, 10:43 AM
DS20 is SUPER bummed that he'll be missing the next trip. (Cant miss the college time)

DD17 and DS 14 are super excited and cant wait to get there. DS14 knows the countdown as well as I do.

No, those kids are NOT too old. Its all about the attitude.

And our first trip, kids were 7, 4 and 19 months. Had a blast that trip and every one in between.

bigkid46
10-29-2011, 01:21 PM
You're right. Attitude is everything. I remember in 2006, the first time we went as a family, we were so excited and happy, we had such a great time. Then, in 2008, we invited my sister-in-law and her family to join us. They were sooo negeative throughout the trip, they really brought us down. We swore to never vacation with them again. They sucked the good energy right out of us. And here we are planning another WDW trip for May 2012, and we're already excited for it.

WDWgoofy
10-29-2011, 02:16 PM
My kids, now 20 and 23, have been to WDW 7 times over their childhood and are wanting me to take them back!

Wolf
11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I was at WDW for my 21st birthday with my moma and when I tell people they are crazy jealous! I hope and pray I never outgrow WDW how can you be too old for the happiness you get at being able to get a beer in Norway then go hug Tigger in UK??? Explain this to me someone???

DisnIse
11-30-2011, 01:16 PM
My neighbor was the same way, but her kids were 6, 7, and 9, which I think is Prime Time Disney!
Seriously, they went to the Magic Kingdom for half a day and went back to the pool instead. I think, personally, they needed me as a guide, but my GOODNESS!

PrettyMinnie
11-30-2011, 01:46 PM
The first time we vacationed in Orlando (our family of 6 + grandparents) the kids were 13, 11, 10 and 8. We stayed off site and planned to spend more time in Universal than WDW, leaving onlu the last few days of the trip to spend in WDW.

And to our surprise, the entire family enjoyed themselves much more in WDW than all the days in Universal. Simply the feel of WDW was drastically different than Universal. We returned again the next year, stayed onsite and spent the entire time in WDW. We were hooked!

Personally I believe it is the mindset of the family. Though it may seem to me that no one could possibly ever tire of Walt Disney World, I know that I am not always in the majority in thinking it truly is the happiest place on Earth. Many people don't see a WDW vacation as relaxing or find it to be too expensive or not entertaining (which we all know to be incorrect!), so to each their own. I do find it sad when people don't take the time to find the true potential in a WDW vacation and I often have to bite my tongue!

One thing is for sure, I won't EVER be too old! :mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
11-30-2011, 07:16 PM
I have to chime in again.

I just returned from the World from going with a group of 21. It was great except for about 8 Muggles. For you non Harry Potter people, those are non magical folks.

Some people just DO NOT get the magic, the fun or anything about it. My thoughts are GREAT ~ stay away if you are a muggle. :D

ginny57
11-30-2011, 07:53 PM
That's just sad....being too old for fun! My boys are 28-25-18 and love it as much as I do. I love being there with them...with friends...even alone...and some day with grandchildren!!!

mechanic
11-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Was there in july with three sons. 18, 16, 14. All had great time. 24 yr old said he was sorry he had to work.

Georgesgirl1
11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I just returned from the World from going with a group of 21. It was great except for about 8 Muggles. For you non Harry Potter people, those are non magical folks.

Some people just DO NOT get the magic, the fun or anything about it. My thoughts are GREAT ~ stay away if you are a muggle. :D

^^^awesome!

DH didn't go on his first trip to WDW until he was 22 years old. He was instantly hooked and we have been 10 times together since then (with 3 trips planned for next year)! There is no such thing as "too old" for Disney...but there are muggles out there!

Victor Kelly
12-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I am 36, my wife is 25. WE love it.

DISNEY TILL DEATH!!!:cool:

MouseHouser
12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with Jason; Sometimes people's attitude rubs off on their company. I know that when I bring people to Disney, they typically start to see it as I do--a magical place.

mom2morgan
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Never too old! BUT....My hubby and daughters are serious thrill ride junkies and Disney doesn't always completely satisfy, so we generally do more than "just" Disney. In California, they went to Six Flag, and when we're in Orlando we spend a couple days at Universal, and Seaworld. (Seaworld is my thing, but it has one killer coaster to keep them happy too ;-) Once they get that out of their system I can even drag them to the Tiki Room if I really try, LOL