PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Attractions?

darthmacho
08-28-2011, 09:22 AM
The big name, E-ticket attractions like Splash Mountain get all the buzz, and deservedly so, but there are certainly some unheralded attractions that are really great too! What attraction do you feel is an underrated gem?

For instance, in the Land Pavilion, overshadowed by Soarin' is a quiet little ride that is both fun and educational: Living With the Land. Of course LWtL has been there much longer, but let's face it Soarin' is the one with the long lines.

One thing I love about this attraction are the scenes depicting various ecosystems. They are as wonderfully detailed as other great dark rides like Spaceship Earth and Great Movie Ride, though perhaps because they're not action packed and full of thrills, they are somewhat overlooked.

I could come up with more, but I'll leave that to you...

texas211
08-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Living w the Land, TomorrowLand Transit, Monsters Inc. I love the dark rides, and wish there were more of them.

HoosierDisneyFan
08-28-2011, 10:34 AM
AK

We like the Flights of Wonder show. I really like the humor and the birds are amazing.
The Maharajah Jungle Trek is also great to see the Tigers (if they are moving around!)

MK

TTA Peoplemover and Carousel of Progress. Both are relaxing rides with little to no wait!

EPCOT

Candlelight Processional during Christmas season is great (if that is your thing). It would not appeal to everyone but worth the wait if you enjoy Christmas music with full choir & orchestra
We also enjoy the Impressions de France show. The music is unbelievable!
Kim Possible is also fun with the younger crowd (OK me too!)

DS
Can I say Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights? If you have seen this in person, you owe it to yourself to witness firsthand.

DNS
08-28-2011, 12:24 PM
DS
Can I say Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights? If you have seen this in person, you owe it to yourself to witness firsthand.

I am so excited that I will get to see these this year!! Thanks to the showing in mid November.

I agree with Transit Authority. Since we rode it for the first time a few trips ago, we make a point to ride it during the day and again at night. It is relaxing and interesting to look around from the ride.

WDWgoofy
08-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Many lesser attractions really add to my overall enjoyment, such as:

Turtle Talk
Off Kilter
Living with the Land
Fountain of Nations
Canada and Japanese gardens
Club Cool (but it was better as Ice Station Cool)

(I just noticed all are at Epcot)

AllDisney
08-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I think I'd have to go with Living with the Land, Carousel of Progress.

T--
08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
It usually has a short line and is a unique dark ride at EPCOT.
Don't tell anyone else its cool.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Living with the Land
TTA - AKA People Mover

Mousemates
08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Off Kilter and so many of the other bands at Epcot

mariak
08-28-2011, 10:01 PM
OK, in all our trips, there are so many things we’ve STILL never done! Thank you for this thread! I’m putting this on our “to do” list….in just 26 days!!!

Also, I always tell people that Mickey’s Philharmagic is MK’s best kept secret because there is rarely a long wait and it is so cool! I am with John on the “Please fix the first few minutes of the 3D show” bandwagon but I still think it is sooo worth it! ….and thankful to John for bringing up this flaw in the film because I no longer have to ask my DH (every time), “Is it just me? Or is something wrong with my 3D glasses?”:cool:

crltkcagle
08-28-2011, 10:04 PM
MK- CoP, Frontierland land shootin arcade, TTA

Epcot- Living with the Land, Innoventions,

AK- conservation station has a really cool entrance painted with tons of animals. There are a ton of hidden mickeys all through out the painting! Its really fun to sit there and find all of them.

HS- Magic of Animation, One Man's Dream, HISTK's movie set playground

Tink#64
08-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Another vote for COP, TTA & Living with the land! Always on our must do lists! We usually do TTA each day that we're in the MK! LOVE that attraction! We all really enjoy the relaxing ride and the views! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

disneymom2000
08-29-2011, 09:54 AM
I really like to watch The Circle of Life. I usually do this show after Living with the Land ride.

Heck- I had already been to Disney about 5 times before I found out there was a ride in Spaceship Earth. :blush:

Mogie
08-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I think I'd say the biggest surprise show was Flights of Wonder. We skipped it our first trip to AK, but were set on seeing everything our second trip. I thought it was amazing!

For rides...I'd say Dinosaur doesnt get much chatter on the boards. Maybe its overshadowed by Expedition Everest, but I really like the ride and the skeleton models. The Indiana Jones ride is on the same platform in DisneyLand and that one is great too.

ValenciaCalling
08-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Definitely Carousel of Progress. I could go to the Magic Kingdom and just ride that and the TTA...and many times during my program when I only had an hour to spare, I did! haha

gottaluvtink
08-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I have to agree with Dinosaur....we absolutely love it, and actually glad it is over looked because we never have to wait in line very long. ;) Some of the things in Innoventions are pretty neat. We really enjoy the storm thing with the tornado. I had never been on the Magic Carpets and went with a small child recently. I was pleasantly surprised. Nice view and enjoyable ride. The Liberty Belle is a very nice thing we usually don't do either, but on the occasions we do ride it, it is very enjoyable. Great photo ops on there.

ValenciaCalling
08-29-2011, 10:05 AM
I think I'd say the biggest surprise show was Flights of Wonder. We skipped it our first trip to AK, but were set on seeing everything our second trip. I thought it was amazing!

For rides...I'd say Dinosaur doesnt get much chatter on the boards. Maybe its overshadowed by Expedition Everest, but I really like the ride and the skeleton models. The Indiana Jones ride is on the same platform in DisneyLand and that one is great too.

My only problem with Dinosaur is it's so flippin' LOUD! If they took it down from 11 to 10, it would be a lot better...;)

EJS-Houston
08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Ever since I was a kid, I've always loved the Tomorrowland Transit (formerly the Wedway People Mover, which is what it was called when I first rode it as a kid). I couldn't really explain why, I just do. I'm also a big fan of Spaceship Earth, especially since they've refurbished it and added the interactive element.

barnaby
08-29-2011, 12:18 PM
MK - Carousel of Progress, TTA
AK - Festival of the Lion King
DHS - One Man's Dream, Animation Academy
EPCOT - Living with the Land

AlliMo
08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Another vote for CoP!!! It's one of my favorites...I pray every day that it never goes away!!!
I also really love the sound booths in sounds dangerous (I hope they are still there!) People completely overlook that whole area and they are soooo great!

applecore72
08-31-2011, 03:31 AM
I love thrill rides but I also love the quieter rides which usually are less crowded and you get that "Disney feeling"! My favourites are:

- People Mover (TTA)
- Carousel of Progress
- Living with the land

WVParkfan
08-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Awesome posts by everyone in this thread! Every single Attraction listed is included in our "favorites." I'd just add one more... the hidden trails around the Tree of Life at the AK. There are so many wonderful things to see, including live animals!

darthmacho
08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Indeed, there have been a lot of good answers, one of which was Maharajah Jungle Trek, so I thought I should mention another animal exhibit Pangani Forest Trail. Gorillas, hippos and naked mole rats? How can you beat that? :mickey: