PDA

View Full Version : iphone/ATT/Canada

JanetMegan
08-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has had experience with ATT and using your iphone (4) in Canada? I'll be in Canada for a few days and then on a cruise on the West Coast and it looks like the phone and data charges for this are pretty high. It looks like I need to be sure my phone is turned off or on a special setting when I don't want to use it to be sure I don't accidentally get any texts or data type updates that run up a large bill?

DizneyRox
08-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I would suggest off, but I think airplane mode would be good. I'm not 100% sure about Canada, but I believe it would be International (they are another country) and billed accordingly.

Most cruise ships have cell towers, so you WILL get service on the ship, but it too is international. You need to be very careful!

We just got off a cruise and we just left our phones in airplane mode (so we could use some features) but hardly turned them on. When we got to St. Thomas (USVI) we went crazy checking mail, etc. USVI are considered part of the USA with regards to roaming, etc.

I called AT&T and they tried to sell me a plan, however it turned out I was just paying to get a slightly lower call/data rate; but even that was obsurd!

garymacd
09-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Touch your Setting icon.

Click on General.

Look for the Network tab and touch it.

You will see a number of choices including Data Roaming. Make sure it is OFF. You are now safe from all roaming charges (unless you actually use the iphone as a phone). Be aware that once Data Roaming is off, all you location services are shut off once you are outside your service provider's area. GPS, email, web browsing and other data services are off.

Contact your provider to see if it has a deal offered for international travel. Usually they offer phone and instant messaging packages, but may offer more services if you ask nicely. Prices will vary on what you want. Keep asking for the best, most cost-effective plan for your trip. We were initially offered a monthly package, but since our trip crossed over our billing date, we had to pay for two months - not cheap. I kept asking and eventually found a plan that worked on a 30-day cycle and disregarded the billing date - much cheaper.