PDA

View Full Version : Refillable Mug Price Increase

Disney4us2
08-25-2011, 01:52 AM
I saw today that the refillable mugs are now $14.90 plus tax. The price increase started on 8/25. Sure glad I got mine at the lower price

BigRedDad
08-25-2011, 04:41 AM
With the RFID tags rolling out, people will not be able to "steal" drinks anymore.

vicster
08-25-2011, 09:24 AM
With the RFID tags rolling out, people will not be able to "steal" drinks anymore.

It's about time! Did this start already?

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-25-2011, 10:05 AM
All of the details can be found in this thread. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=183759)

PEDSNURSE
08-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Terrible! :mad:but i guess it is a souvenier so I will pay for it of course. Still have my last one from 2005! They last and makes me think of Disney all the time.

That said, 4 of them at $15 a pop is a lot of $$$..

ValenciaCalling
08-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Doesn't Big Brother have better things to do than be the soda police?

For every bottled Coke product they sell for $2.50, they are making 100% profit. It's all donated by Coca-Cola. I'd say that more than makes up for people "stealing" from the soda fountain.

Sure, it could be purely based on the principle of "following the rules", but with Disney, it always comes down to money.

honeebee86
08-25-2011, 11:11 AM

For every bottled Coke product they sell for $2.50, they are making 100% profit. It's all donated by Coca-Cola. I'd say that more than makes up for people "stealing" from the soda fountain.

Sure, it could be purely based on the principle of "following the rules", but with Disney, it always comes down to money.

What you have to keep in mind is it doesn't matter about how little it cost them if a small percentage of guests "steal" soda or don't exactly follow the soda rules.....it is about how much profit they would make if even a small percentage of those people opted to pay for that soda vs getting water if they had no other choice. Those profits can go toward things like improving the parks and yes of course to paying the higher-ups more money as well. However, I believe they would be better off selling the mugs or sodas at a more affordable price to get even more people to pay for the mugs; maybe $10 for mugs and back to $2.00 for bottled soda and $1.99 and $2.29 for regular and large fountain sodas. But then again if people, including me, are already paying those prices then why decrease them?

lighteningqueen
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM
NO IT IS NOT DONATED TO DISNEY!! Really aplace that large and Coke would just give it to them..
My son in law works in the offices at Pepsi it is not free It cost them85.00 per box. It comes in a box now mixed with carbonated water after the dispense. It cost 10 cents a cup for most convenience stores so the ice their water bill for mixing the carbonation and the ice cost them something . No it need not be that expensive. But it probably based on most people do refill more than once while eating. So if you get 3 refills for 2.29. Thats a bargain for you. Less for them. The only time soda is donated is usually to a little league, school type things and then not very often. I just wish they had Pepsi at the world. Coke taste like cigarettes smell yuckyyyyyyyy

ValenciaCalling
08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't mean to argue with you, but I know for a fact that it is donated. I was told this by one of my managers while I was working there. He said it smuggly, and bragged about how much of a profit they make from it.

I understand their reasoning, but the id tags just creep me out. The fact that they are now sewing them into cast member costumes too is just as disturbing.

BrerGnat
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
The Coca-Cola products aren't donated to Disney Parks, they are provided in lieu of a monetary sponsorship fee to be the sole beverage provider in the Disney Parks. They get presence in the parks (advertising) in exchange for providing the drinks at "no cost" and Disney gets to keep 100% of the profits from sale. It's a "win win" for both sides.

The other companies that "sponsor" either specific attractions or exhibits within the Disney parks pay a HUGE fee to do so. It's in the tens of thousands of dollars (and up) per year. For example, GM's sponsorship of Test Track cost $100 MILLION for 10 years...

Disney4us2
08-25-2011, 12:17 PM
I posted just to let everyone know the prices went up. The machines are still the same as before at this time.

ValenciaCalling
08-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Yes, I am aware of how the process works. Next time, I'll be sure not to use the word "donate" when talking about "providing something free of charge"...

WDWfanatic742
08-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I posted just to let everyone know the prices went up. The machines are still the same as before at this time.
:laughing:

Thanks for the info! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2011, 06:19 PM
I have to add that Coca-Cola typically leases out the new Freestyle machines, even if they provide the syrup for free. So Disney most likely will be paying out for that. But I do not argue that the new system will ensure higher profits for Disney, more so in mug sales rather than soda waste/loss. But in all fairness, they are a business and a higher profit margin is a goal for all businesses and their share-holders. As long as we the consumer are willing to pay for it, they have no reason to do otherwise.

To the OP, thanks for the information about the mug price increase.

B.O.B
08-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Would it be possible for Disney to lower the cost for drinks back a bit once the profits from soda sales are good enough to make up for 'lost profits' due to those not paying what Disney wants them to for drinks?

TheVBs
08-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I usually stay out of the mug discussions. :D But, I have to admit that whenever someone uses the argument that the Coke is "free" for Disney in some way in response to complaints about people stealing it, I'm absolutely puzzled. If Disney gave someone a free VIP FastPass would that make it ok for someone else to steal it from them?

I do get the frustration over increasing costs. We're feeling it everywhere, the grocery store, the gas station, etc. It would be wonderful if Disney reduced the price on something to make it more affordable. However, it doesn't matter what they pay for a product, they're not obligated to give it away themselves. :thumbsup:

Melanie
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
At this point in my life where I'm pretty much over souvenirs, I'm thankful we're close enough to drive to WDW and therefore bring our own drinks with us. Like someone mentioned before, 4 mugs is a lot of $$$$, and for essentially what we would spend for 1 1/2 mugs, we can bring enough drinks for the week - 2 12 packs of soda, 6 pack of Gatorade and a case of water, and then use the coffee provided in the rooms.

TheRustyScupper
08-25-2011, 08:20 PM
. . . Pepsi it is not free It cost them85.00 per box . . .

. . . they are making 100% profit. It's all donated by Coca-Cola . . .

1) Weeding through the hype and rumor . . .
2) Coke provides the soda free to Disney.
3) This is a promotional and marketing expense.
4) Coke has been with Disney since 1950.
5) Pepsi had a shot at the Disney franchise once.
6) But, Coke underbid Pepsi
. . . free soda syrup
. . . reduced costs for advertising and displays
. . . reduced costs for signage, equip, cups
7) Pepsi would not match the price.

8) Disney does pay for
. . . cups
. . . ice
. . . dispensing equip, manpower, other costs
. . . disposal
. . . storage and retrieval

NOTE: Pepsi sponsored "it's a small world" for the
World's Fair. In 1998, Pepsi got a contract for all
non-park ESPN Zone restaurants. Pepsi was also
sold at the Disney-owned Angels games.

DizneyRox
08-26-2011, 08:04 AM
At this point in my life where I'm pretty much over souvenirs...
Agreed, our budget for Disney trips included only the following:

Food - Highest expense in recent years
Tickets - Usually an AP
Accommodations - paid for by DVC dues
Travel - This doesn't go to Disney, but still an expense...

There isn't a line for souvenirs, it's all junk, so Disney made this decision easy for us.

We're working on the food part, DVC allows in room food preparation and we're learning to actually enjoy it. With the menu changes, etc, I'm preferring home cooked meals over park food these days.

We also found less need for APs via more resort time.

As far as soda goes, we stay away from it, it doesn't really hydrate as well as good old water. I can't even remember the last time we got a refillable mug.

jonahbear2006
08-26-2011, 10:21 AM
1) Weeding through the hype and rumor . . .
2) Coke provides the soda free to Disney.
3) This is a promotional and marketing expense.
4) Coke has been with Disney since 1950.
5) Pepsi had a shot at the Disney franchise once.
6) But, Coke underbid Pepsi
. . . free soda syrup
. . . reduced costs for advertising and displays
. . . reduced costs for signage, equip, cups
7) Pepsi would not match the price.

8) Disney does pay for
. . . cups
. . . ice
. . . dispensing equip, manpower, other costs
. . . disposal
. . . storage and retrieval

NOTE: Pepsi sponsored "it's a small world" for the
World's Fair. In 1998, Pepsi got a contract for all
non-park ESPN Zone restaurants. Pepsi was also
sold at the Disney-owned Angels games.

All good points. I think that there can be a middle ground. It seems that there are a lot of inconsistencies with the Disney Pricing Gods and this is the area I choose to put my 2 cents. Some things there are very comparable to most normal places you would go back home and other things are like, Man is THAT pricey! I realize that restaurants prob cost more bc if they didnt they would just be overrun with people wanting to eat at them. I also understand that tickets are increasing bc they are always renovating and adding and I think their tickets are very affordable. I think their drinks, on the other hand, are very expensive and I think it is only human nature, when handed something free of charge to want to get the most use out of this area bc you figure I better take advantage of this bc it is our ticket to ride. Having said that, I dont think the mugs are a bad deal at all. I mean, its unlimited refills. So if you stay 2 weeks you paid $14.00 for soda for that time period and that is insanely cheap for you considering the prices in the parks for a soda. We arent big soda drinkers and have almost completely eliminated it from our household so I am not sure this is even an issue for us in the future. I think we will be more likely to get smoothies and milkshakes, carry a water into the park and refill it at the drinking fountains, and juice for the tykes. Soda is def. cheaper than these other options but it isnt as healthy either. It is so funny that us humans get so bent out of shape about injesting something that could possibly be a significant health issue for them someday.

DizneyRox
08-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah, it's amazing.. Someone I know went through two cigarettes in during a conversation where they were complaining to me about how they don't have any money...

I couldn't stick around to hear the end though, I had to run to Starbucks to get a coffee... I'm sure they had a point though...

PEDSNURSE
08-30-2011, 05:01 PM
We don't drink much soda these days either but we also don't get to Disney every time we want so I will pay for the mug and use it at home. Best souvenier I have found! :thumbsup:

lighteningqueen
08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
ONLY souvenir I buy. Oh and one new mug for my coffee at home. Worth it to us we drink our coffee in it usually 2 cups. Then at night when we come in usually hot cocoa or ice tea.No soda for me. So say 4 drinks per day!!! At 10.00 per day.Its worth it

thatkindofday
09-03-2011, 05:36 PM
We have never paid oop for a mug, but have ended up with 6 from the DDP. I don't drink soda anymore and my husband drinks it sparingly, so we usually take our old mugs with us, order ice water, and then fill up our mugs up with what we have left or refill them from the water fountains.

A Big Kid
09-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Its not your choice. If you dont like the rules, vote with your feet. If enough people do, the rules will change.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Coca Cola and Walt Disney World have a CONTRACT - there is no donation of product.

Patricia
09-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Pepsi was in there and wanted to continue sharing the parks. Coke wanted to be exclusive and made an offer the mouse was happy to take.

As stated.. it's a financial deal, but Disney isn't getting the Coke Company "For Free", they get the syrup provided for free. They still provide cups, ice, staff to clean and maintain that nasty drink bar and wonderful advertising for Coke, (and I'm sure there is more to that deal.) I know Disney makes a profit, but maybe the bottom line isn't as great as everyone sees on the register tape and anyway isn't that why they are in business?

Even with this price increase (with the amount of coffee I can drink) a mug saves me money every trip I take. Personally, I'm happy to get such a great deal! (I'm not saying the coffee is good, just that I will drink it.) I refill it with water in the parks all day and it's also used to get some Sprite at the end of the day and make myself a wine spritzer in my room. :blush:

I can then use the mug at home, which I always do. By the time the mug is faded, chipped and disgusting, I know it's time to go back to Florida and get a new one. :mickey:

disneydeb
09-04-2011, 11:31 AM
OK Disney. I'll just cut back on the purchase of other relics to bring home...

My budget is set and I WILL NOT exceed the amount.

I do like my mug collection and I will continue to buy them, but other purchases will be curtailed!

AntMagsMom
09-04-2011, 11:59 AM
dumb question...what were they before the increase? I thought I paid $15 a piece last year?