PDA

View Full Version : Safari and pregnancy

jenperich
08-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I will be 15-weeks pregnant when we visit the World next month. My doctor has given me permission to go on the safari. I have been on it MANY times, however just cannot remember for the life of me how bumpy and fast it is. Any info is helpful. Thanks!

Disney Hungarian
08-24-2011, 10:30 PM
It can be very bumpy depending on your driver. I went on the Safari at least 10 times last December and I could really tell the difference in the drivers. One driver was particularly rowdy.

Jeri
08-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I went on it last October when I was 6 months and it was bumpy. I did ok, baby just kicked a lot during and after. I did only ride it one time because baby didn't seem to like it.

I think you should be fine. I didn't think it was really any worse then some of the gravel roads.

lighteningqueen
08-25-2011, 12:56 AM
My daughter rode it at the 3 month mark. DO NOT LET THEM SIT YOU AT THE BACK NO MATTER WHAT. It slings you around more and is way more bouncy.Sit toward the front and insist on it you will be fine. If you dont get a moonshine driver.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
The only time we thought it was bad was when we were seated in the back. Like a previous poster said, tell a CM you are pregnant and do not let them seat you in the back.

magicofdisney
08-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Chiming in and agreeing on the back seating. We had a feisty drive once and I came out of my seat on more than once occasion. It was very exciting, however I wasn't pregnant. Since I didn't ride EE that trip, Safari was my thrill ride. :mickey:

cer
08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Like others have said, don't sit at the back.

We did once and it was a good time, actually got airborne. Would not recommend it to an expectant mother.

jenperich
08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
The only time we thought it was bad was when we were seated in the back. Like a previous poster said, tell a CM you are pregnant and do not let them seat you in the back.

If I tell them I'm pregnant, won't they not let me go on it? It's listed on the Disney website that expectant mothers should not ride, even though my doctor gave me permission.

Butters
08-25-2011, 09:57 AM
My wife went on it many time when she was 2 months pregnant. Each time we just asked the CM for a front row seat, we would wait one car and they would sit us in the front. She had no issues and the ride in front was fairly smooth.

jenperich
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the information. This will be a special trip for us - and the little one. :-)

Joannelet
08-25-2011, 10:50 AM
They will not let you ride if you are in your last trimester. 1st and 2nd trimester they consider it okay for you to ride. I however went when I was in my first trimester and didn't ride as I know it is extremely bumpy and didn't want to chance it. I am going again at 7 months and will not be riding again.
Enjoy!

TexasPrincessAurora
08-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I went to WDW several times during my last pregnancy, from 2 months through 7 months. I asked my OB/GYN about this before we went, along with Splash Mountain. Luckily she has visited WDW many times and was very familiar with the attractions. She said a lot of times driving in your car on rough roads is as rough as the Safari. She had no problem with me riding either ride.

Disney Doll
08-30-2011, 01:41 PM
I was around 24 months when we went and I rode. We had a wheelchair in our group so we were seated up front for handicap seating. I'm not sure that I've ever paid special attention to how bumpy it was until I was pregnant and from my experience at least it wasn't too bad. I was pretty obviously pregnant by that point (my 2nd child) and CM's didn't bat an eye when I got on. I don't think any CM is going to prevent a pregnant woman from riding. Disney has a recommendation not a hard and fast rule. It's really a personal decision.

Butters
08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
24 months? My wife was ready at 9, don't think she could have added 15 more months to that... :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
If I tell them I'm pregnant, won't they not let me go on it? It's listed on the Disney website that expectant mothers should not ride, even though my doctor gave me permission.

Good Question, I would think they would leave it to your discretion but if they don't its probably for your own protection.....

cer
08-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Like others have said, don't sit at the back.

We did once and it was a good time, actually got airborne. Would not recommend it to an expectant mother.

I gave this answer earlier. In retrospect, if you are the least bit concerned about how any attraction could potentially have a negative effect on your pregnancy, consider sitting it out. Find a nice shady spot and enjoy an ice cream. :bar: No attraction is worth needless stress or worry to you or your baby.

jonahbear2006
08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I wouldnt sit in the back or the front. to each his own but I rode that thing with a newborn and when I was pregnant. I was 11 weeks and I was scared after I rode it. Nothing happened but it just isnt worth the worry. I took my newborn on it bc i couldnt remember how bad it was and im holding him to my chest as tight as i can thinking omg please dont let something happen and me lose hold of him and please dont give this kid shaken baby syndrome. its THAT bumpy!

Joannelet
08-30-2011, 04:04 PM
True I would never say it was like a regular car ride though. Definitely bounces you all over the seat. I too took my 7 month old on it and regretted it. Way too bouncy. Remember you also dont have a seat belt or restraint to keep you in place. I agree with a previous post, not worth the worry.

Gator
08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
My wife has been pregnant on two different trips (5 months and 4 months). Each trip, she went on the Safari multiple times. The key is to stay in rows 2-4. Not quite as bumpy right there.

What I wouldn't recomend is riding Dinosaur. My wife wanted to use the same strategy - sit in the very middle. It was still very bumpy for her. However, right after that we went over to the Safari. No worries there. It's about as bumpy as a car ride on a bad road.

iceicebritney
08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
It definitely depends on the driver. I also like to ride right up front. I don't think it's as bumpy of a ride then. Enjoy your trip:mickey:

Disney Doll
09-01-2011, 12:49 PM
24 months? My wife was ready at 9, don't think she could have added 15 more months to that... :mickey:

Ha! Weeks...certainly not months. Gah, I would have never survived that!

jonahbear2006
09-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Dont be an elephant then. haha. they have to make it through that. Another ride I wouldn't recommend is maelstrom. It is a lot rougher as a pregnant woman than it seems like it is. I also took the newborn on this and I remember thinking, man if i were a careless mother who didnt care about this baby, I could easily lose hold of my child on this ride and he couldve been overboard.

tigger24601
09-03-2011, 09:49 AM
My theory is anything my baby can ride I can ride prego. I have been 6 weeks with dd(we didn't know that we were) rode EVERYTHING. And at 5 months with ds but only rode what dd(3yr) could do. They are now 5 and 18months and love every minute of disney and every ride they are big enough to get on.

That being said I haven't had any complications while prego. If I had I probly would skip the safari.