PDA

View Full Version : Ohana Question

Scott C
08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Trying Ohana for the first time in 24 days. I have been looking over the menu and it sure seems like quite a bit of food. Does anyone know if we can take the leftovers home with us????

Thanks
Scott C

faline
08-24-2011, 01:23 PM
We dined here on our last trip and saw a family take home a stack of leftover food containers.

buzznwoodysmom
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
We dined here on our last trip and saw a family take home a stack of leftover food containers.

Are you serious???? I've always thought of Ohana's as the same sort of deal as a buffet, where leftovers are a "no-no". Not that I would enjoy cold Ohana's leftovers, LOL, but how great for those with a microwave in their rooms.

Scott C
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Are you serious???? I've always thought of Ohana's as the same sort of deal as a buffet, where leftovers are a "no-no". Not that I would enjoy cold Ohana's leftovers, LOL, but how great for those with a microwave in their rooms.

That is why I am asking the question - it seems odd - but since they actually bring you your food I assume they would throw out any excess. I am just trying to justify the $$$ for this meal

Thanks
Scott

paymerich
08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
They do advertise it but they will pack up what's left on table.

thatkindofday
08-24-2011, 11:39 PM
WHAT?!?! I asked if I could take the last little bit of the banana bread pudding with us and was told no...we sat there and ate every bite (just me and my husband). We were so sick:sick: the next morning, but it was too good to waste... :(

BigRedDad
08-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Another possibility is that the people at the table had someone sick in the resort and used a TS credit to get food back to them. I am sure the policy is "no carry out". However, we all know WDW has bent policy on more than one occasion. We have all gotten something for free at some point, but it is not policy to give it away free all the time.

Christine
08-27-2011, 11:46 AM
I go to Ohana a LOT!! (going tonight as a matter of fact). I'm going to ask. I don't see how this is possible?! Because what would keep someone from saying "more pork! More steak etc" all night and then bam- you have dinner for the upcoming week! ???
I just don't see how that could be?

But to the OP- it's indeed a lot of food and IMO, worth every penny! Enjoy!!

buzznwoodysmom
08-27-2011, 01:55 PM
I go to Ohana a LOT!! (going tonight as a matter of fact). I'm going to ask. I don't see how this is possible?! Because what would keep someone from saying "more pork! More steak etc" all night and then bam- you have dinner for the upcoming week! ???
I just don't see how that could be?

But to the OP- it's indeed a lot of food and IMO, worth every penny! Enjoy!!

Christine, Please remember to post back what you find out tonight. Like I said before, I don't think I'd enjoy cold Ohana's, but for someone local like you, or anyone staying at a DVC resort it would be great to have even just a little bit of left overs for another day. However, I agree with you, seems like it would be a definite "NO" unless there are other reasons, such as a sick guest, like someone else mentioned.

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I'd be interested in knowing the current policy on this too. The excess food (especially meat) that is thrown away at the end of the meal has always been a huge drawback of Ohana to me (I hate waste). It would be nice to think that someone could make use of that food, although I understand the potential people might have to abuse the system, if it's true.

faline
08-27-2011, 02:19 PM
It's possible I witnessed an exception. The family next to us had several children. Mom and children were barely at the table throughout the entire meal. First mom was helping kids participate in the activities. Then mom was taking kids to the rest room, etc. Throughout it all, dad seemed to be the only one at the table who actually ate.

Christine
08-27-2011, 07:55 PM
"Absolutely positively no" is what we were just told. The remaining cooked food not served at the end of the night goes to a food kitchen. The stuff left in plates gets pitched. That's why they try to serve in small portions on each pass.

They said often ppl take their celebration bday cupcake / cake to go with them bc they opt for the bread pudding instead. Other than that, no carry outs (even if try to pay or DDP for a set plate).

Mystery solved. :D

Now I'm off to eat myself stupid on peanut sauce!! Shaka cousins!!

disneydeb
08-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Do ya think anyone would notice if I dumped a whole container of bread pudding in my purse??
jk!:mickey:

Christine
08-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Not in your dooney deb!!!

buzznwoodysmom
08-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Christine! Enjoy your meal and eat some for me!

LVT
08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I cannot each that much, so I say no to some courses. It is not only preset platters. They come buy and ask how much of each kind of meat or if you need refills.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
. I am just trying to justify the $$$ for this meal

I assure you--it's worth it! :wave:

KylesMom
09-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I assure you--it's worth it! :wave:

DITTO! Our Ohana meal was a HUGE value compared to the other "big" dinners we had. This includes Chef Mickey's, Cape May, LeCellier, Hoop-De-Doo, Whispering Canyon, Crystal Palace, etc. based on our experience. You will not leave hungry, rest assured - the $$$ is totally justified in our opinion! :mickey:

Bethis26fan
09-02-2011, 09:04 AM
lol I don't know why but this made me think about the ep of Gilmore Girls where Rory goes to college and the guy is showing her zip lock bags. I can see some big mickey moused earred guest cramming pot stickers into a zip lock bag and stuffing them in to a diaper bag. lol

I'm just not one for reheated noodles and stuff so it doesn't appeal to me at all. I just eat until I'm stuffed, but boy could I eat there at least once a week. (if money wasn't a object.)

iceicebritney
09-02-2011, 09:12 AM
We love O'hana and think the quantity if food for the dollar is a huge value. My family are huge eaters so they definitely fill up at ohanas. Also, we've done other family style restaurants on property and have been upset with the lack of times the servers refill our plates. We always have a hard time getting someone to stop at hoop dee doo for a refill. Anyway, our servers at O'hana always come back with more food. Sometimes it's when your not quite ready for more food, but it's great that they keep coming back.

nqi2
09-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Now we had the exact opposite experience. Our waitress rarely came back. My husband had to flag someone else down a couple of times for a refill on his coke. They did bring food around several times however if you want the shrimp be prepared to wait.

I feel like my kids did not eat either because they were always doing something with the kids asking them to come up for this and that. I feel like we didn't get our value out of it.

More than likely will not return till they are older and can appreciate that food more.

5MemphisTiggers
09-08-2011, 10:28 PM
'Ohana bread pudding justifies the cost all by itself! :D

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
'Ohana bread pudding justifies the cost all by itself! :D

Agree! I love this stuff so much that I plunked down the $40 for the Disney cookbook that has the recipe in it. I make it at home for Christmas Eve brunch. That bananas foster caramel sauce tastes mighty good on homemade belgian waffles too. :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
09-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Agree! I love this stuff so much that I plunked down the $40 for the Disney cookbook that has the recipe in it. I make it at home for Christmas Eve brunch. That bananas foster caramel sauce tastes mighty good on homemade belgian waffles too. :thumbsup:

Natalie,

I actually got the recipe off the internet for free a few years ago!!! Its still nice to have a Disney cookbook around the house.:thumbsup: I made this for Thanksgiving one year and it was a huge hit!

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Natalie,

I actually got the recipe off the internet for free a few years ago!!! Its still nice to have a Disney cookbook around the house.:thumbsup: I made this for Thanksgiving one year and it was a huge hit!

You know, there are a few recipes floating around online, including here at Icot. However, the "official" recipe from the book is quite different and tastes more like the restaurant version.