PDA

View Full Version : We just had an earthquake!!!!!!!

disney obsessed
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
I live in Virginia Beach. We really do not get them here. It's a first for me.

Felt like the floor was liquid. Strange.

IamaDisneyFan
08-23-2011, 02:10 PM
We felt it too in Lancaster, PA. The house rumbled and things rocked in the house. Just heard that the center was near Richmond, Va and was a 5.8. Scary!

DizneyFreak2002
08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
We got the tremors up here in NJ as well...

Hammer
08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Yep, my office building swayed (in Moorestown, NJ- Philly suburb) and we were evacuted for about 30 minutes.

barnaby
08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Felt it here in southern NJ (Cape May Court House)
Very weird feeling, first for me.

clausjo
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
My aunt is in Wakefield, NC and she felt it there. Crazy!

darthmacho
08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
We felt it here in Quincy, MA. It was pretty creepy. I asked my DD if she was shaking the couch, but then I realized what was going on.

Auntie B
08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Stay safe everyone!

ChipDale2708
08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
We felt it here in Hartford, CT. Very creepy feeling. Any time there has been a slight tremor, I've been in a car and didn't feel it.

mousetrapper
08-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Working in my home office in Westminster, Md...felt the shaking and my desk chair started rolling across the floor! Kept intensifying and lasted about 10-15 seconds. I thought it must be a bad storm blowing through suddenly, but looked outside and it's beautifully sunny and calm.

Hanging lamps started swinging and my glasses and dishes started clinking...really something!

5.9 magnitude! Just heard on the Baltimore news it's the worst earthquake to hit this area since 1886.

NewDVCowner
08-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I heard on the news this morning there was a similar sized one that hit Colorado about 10:30 last night. Hmm. I think I need to make sure my earthquake kit is up to date and I have a full tank of gas.

Stay safe everyone.

Ms. Mode
08-23-2011, 02:53 PM
We felt it in Charleston, WV! I work in a rail yard and thought it was a train shaking the office...my co-worker said "Do you feel that?" The table I was working at started shaking...strange!

PopPhan
08-23-2011, 02:53 PM
The office building I was in at the time did some rockin' and rollin'....Watched the walls shake and the windows rattle....

York, PA here...

Katzateer
08-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Our house shook and one of the Siamese cats ran to me! Then the verizon cell phone wouldn't work for about 20 minutes:mad: Nice to know how much help the phone will be if we have an emergency. The Internet worked just fine so the lines were just too busy for cell calls.

Katzateer
08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=mousetrapper;2201758

5.9 magnitude! Just heard on the Baltimore news it's the worst earthquake to hit this area since 1886.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't a very strong quake - been through a few in Indiana where you could SEE the walls move!

diz_girl
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, that was interesting.

I'm on the top floor of a five-story office building here in MD and we certainly felt it. A little shaking, some swaying lights, a few people crying or freaking out, but otherwise uneventful. We had to evacuate the building for about 1/2 hour, but that was it. The boys are in day care and are fine.

disneydeb
08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Here in southern, middle Tennessee I didn't feel a thing!

I hope all of you are all right.

diz_girl
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
The Internet worked just fine so the lines were just too busy for cell calls.

Text messages seem to get through better than calls during emergencies. All of my texts were able to go through.

Scar
08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Didn't feel a thing here in Central NJ. Of course, I may have been napping at the time. :sleepin:

kaylamag
08-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Felt it in central PA, i thought i was crazy!!!

LittleRoosMommy
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Felt it here in Rockville, MD... about 10 miles north of DC... lasted about 45 sec here... started slow, then got a lot worse.... shaking, pictures fell off the wall... etc...

They have evacuated pretty much everything.... monuments, Capitol Bldg, Pentagon, in DC

PirateLover
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
ANY magnitude earthquake is shocking for those of us who have never experienced this sort of thing. I Was driving my car in Philadelphia about 8 blocks away from where my parents work and my mom calls to tell me there was an earthquake. I was really confused because I didn't see or feel anything. Then I started seeing people pour onto the streets. Then I tried to call my husband who was at work in Cherry Hill, NJ to tell him, and he answers the phone with ARE YOU OK? They felt it there and evacuated his store. What a crazy day.

Katzateer
08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Text messages seem to get through better than calls during emergencies. All of my texts were able to go through.

We couldn't even get text messages to go through until about 20 minutes after the quake. My husband was at work in Maryland and my daughter in Lancaster, PA. My youngest was in a car with her boyfriend and they didn't even know anything had happened.

terri110874
08-23-2011, 03:28 PM
desks and computers where shaking in Norwood MA.

Also a few friends from VT said they felt it too

Hope everyone is safe and there is not a lot of damage

janmathatter
08-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Was in my car and thought it was vibrating from a big truck nearby, then my daughter called to see if I was all right because of the earthquake. Don't know how the California people can deal with it as often as they do. My mom was going bonkers trying to get me on my cell phone which wasn't working for a while, like everyone else. Let's just say I don't need to experience an earthquake ever again, mild or otherwise.

Tink1
08-23-2011, 03:35 PM
felt here in the Northeast Corner of PA (north of Scranton).

Son felt it in Boston.

Nanc

wilcat
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Felt it in my office building near Pittsburgh International Airport. Floor seemed to move for a long time and my monitor moved slightly. I am on the third floor. Never been through that before. Everyone was standing by the windows, maybe we should not have been but we thought it was a large plane at first.

Joannelet
08-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Definitely felt it in Ocean County NJ! Felt like I was riding a wave! Hoping for no aftershocks!

yjgirl32
08-23-2011, 04:25 PM
The UGI(gas service men) were working at the house next door- thought they had did something wrong- had my parents get out of the house- till I realized they were just as shocked as I was.

Hope everyone is ok.

brad192
08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow, the East coast is sure getting it this week! Earthquake today, hurricane later this week - what next? Maybe a big honkin' meteor strike to complete the apocolyptic trifecta? :thedolls:

Just kidding - I hope everyone makes it through OK the rest of this week! :mickey:

TiggerDeb
08-23-2011, 06:21 PM
We live in Massachusetts and we felt it. The blinds swayed, the couch moved, and the cat totally freaked out.

Sylvia
08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I teleworked today, and all of a sudden, the chair I was sitting on started to bounce up and down. It was a very strange feeling and I hope I never feel it again. So far, I haven't felt any aftershocks in West Chester, so I'm hoping that things are settling down. My cat slept through it all.

BrerGnat
08-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I lived in CA for 17 years.

I just moved to VA 2 months ago.

Who would've thought I'd experience my largest quake to date HERE??? I guess I brought some of the west coast over with me. ;)

Scared the bejeezus out of DH and I. We thought a plane had crashed nearby or something. DH's artillery training had his mind jump immediately to "it's a bomb". Our minds were NOT in "earthquake mode", but once we figured out what it was, it was over.

Basket Mommy
08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm in upstate SC, just south of Asheville, NC and I felt it briefly. Didn't realize what it was until Facebook friends in VA started posting about the earthquake almost immediately after I felt the vibrations.

Suz36
08-23-2011, 11:51 PM
I guess I brought some of the west coast over with me. ;)

So it was your fault, huh? (No pun intended!) Ha, ha! Felt it here, NW of Baltimore - very spooky! As the Baltimore mayor said, I can cross it off of my bucket list and hope I never experience another one!

TheDuckRocks
08-24-2011, 09:23 AM
I was born and lived 46 years of my life in California and experienced a number of earthquakes with higher numbers. We then moved to Hawaii and when we lived on the Big Island in Volcano earthquakes were very common, once had a night with over 100 small quakes. I have never been overly frightened by any of them.
Here in Martinsburg, WV this one was different from others I've been in, the noise was more like an explosion instead of a rumble, the time was fairly long and as I was not expecting an earthquake it took me a while to really figure out what it was.
We only had a few things knocked over, but Frank The Cat is still giving hate glares to the couch he was napping on when it hit. He just knows it was responsible for his interruped snooze.

tinkergal
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Felt it here in Gainesville, GA... co-workers wandering around wondering, "What was that?" It was an odd sensation only for a few seconds but memorable for those of us who've never experienced it!

Mendelson
08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
It was one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had, but that's largely because I work in downtown Washington. The odds are much better, unfortunately, that when things start shaking here, it's the result of an explosion and not an earthquake.

I'm on the 10th floor of an 11-story building and we were shaking pretty considerably. And again, thinking this was from the concussion of a blast somewhere nearby, there was no sense of how much worse it would get. Having a building of this size shake so violently is hard to grasp and understand in the moment and it was truly surreal. Had I recognized from the start it was "just" an earthquake, I would have been much less unnerved.

BrerGnat
08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
It was one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had, but that's largely because I work in downtown Washington. The odds are much better, unfortunately, that when things start shaking here, it's the result of an explosion and not an earthquake.

I'm on the 10th floor of an 11-story building and we were shaking pretty considerably. And again, thinking this was from the concussion of a blast somewhere nearby, there was no sense of how much worse it would get. Having a building of this size shake so violently is hard to grasp and understand in the moment and it was truly surreal. Had I recognized from the start it was "just" an earthquake, I would have been much less unnerved.

That's how we felt too. Earthquakes themselves don't scare us, but that was not our first thought at ALL.

disney obsessed
08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
My first thought was that my 100 lb lab was leaning up against my chair and scratching. I told him to stop it and then realized he was sleeping and not touching my chair!

LittleRoosMommy
08-24-2011, 04:19 PM

That was my thought too! It was nothing like the one last summer centered in Germantown... it lasted alot longer and shook more violently! I have to tell you though, my first thought was not another earthquake! My DDs are still a little freaked out by it! They both slept on the floor in our room last night!