PDA

View Full Version : Pressed (smashed, elongated) Coins

Disney Hungarian
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I have a quarter that I had pressed with the 25th anniversary logo. This year I want to get one with the 40th anniversary logo. Does anyone know where that machine would be located in the parks?

Second question:
This year I also want to use a silver quarter (1964) in the machine. Has anyone done this and will it work?

Altair
08-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Second question:
This year I also want to use a silver quarter (1964) in the machine. Has anyone done this and will it work?

All my pressed quarters are on pre-1965 silver. So yes, it does work, but silver is harder than the clad copper coins so sometimes they don't press as well.
Make sure you know what slot to put the silver coin in. Most of the time it is the far left slot, one of the machines by the had you must use the far right slot. You can tell by looking at the little ramp inside the machine.
I like to press them so the date shows to make sure there is no doubt it's silver. I think you make "tails" face to the right.
There is .1808 oz of silver in a pre-65 quarter. At today's silver price, that's $7.90 or nearly 32 times face value.
I've pressed Barber and Standing Libetry quarters, Mercury dimes, Indian Head cents and 1943 Steelies.:mickey: Here's a press 1907 Indian Head cent click here (http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/6743/2592854070053696626S600x600Q85.jpg)

BigRedDad
08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I do not know if there are any 40th Anniversary pressed coin machines. Google "walt disney pressed pennies". The first listing is one of the most comprehensive pressed coin sites for WDW.

Hope this helps. You can also get a coin list at Guest Relations of all parks.

Disney Hungarian
08-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks. So much for the info! In my on-line searches I found only one dime machine. It is at space mountain. With silver prices skyrocketing the coins have almost no numismatic value compared to the silver melt value. So I wont feel so bad when I have a few pressed for souvenirs. My sack full of old dimes is worth a nice amount of money now that they are worth over $3 a piece in melt value.

Altair
08-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Most silver Roosevelt dimes are very common and have little value other than melt. Most cents from the 40's or 50's have little value unless in mint or near mint condition.

I've tried pressing dimes in a penny press, but can't get it to work. I have seen examples of it being done though.

Altair
08-22-2011, 09:32 PM
This year I want to get one with the 40th anniversary logo. Does anyone know where that machine would be located in the parks?

There is a Magic Kingdom: Celebrating 40 years of magic cent at the Emporium.

No quarter yet though.

Disney Hungarian
08-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks again Dave. I do not buy souvenirs typically. But, I do like the silly coins. Don't know why. Doing my research on-line it would take a large amount of time and a fair amount of money to get a complete set from all of the machines in a single year. I had no idea there were so many of them!

BigRedDad
08-23-2011, 10:57 AM
LOL...it can be addictive. I made the decision when I started this craze to only use 1971 quarters, dimes, and pennies. Let me tell you that BU coins from that year are expensive. The pennies have a chance of being a double strike (I think that is what it is called). If there is one, it is worth $10ks. The quarters as well.

I have all of DHS, half of MK, most of Epcot, and most of AK. I need a trip where I can have a day to myself to resort hop. Then another day to do DTD, waterparks, ESPN, and the mini golf sites.