PDA

View Full Version : Band instruments...buy vs. rent?

amy-rella
08-21-2011, 09:48 PM
My daughter wants to play the flute this year in 6th grade band so I am trying to figure out whether to rent it or buy one. I know some of the pros/cons of both, but wondered if anyone could give me some feedback on their experience. Renting is good b/c you can stop the payments and return the instrument if it doesn't work out for your child, but I can buy one thru amazon or ebay ($150) with the same amount of $$ i would pay for only 5 months of the rent cost. If we rent to own, the cost would be $750-800 before it is paid off. Ugh - I can't decide what to do...

Kairi_7378
08-21-2011, 09:58 PM
I started to play the flute when I was 9. My parents chose the rent-to-own option. You tend to get a better student instrument that way than what you would get if you were to purchase something on Amazon. (Not sure about eBay.) IMO, it is better to have a decent instrument when you are starting to learn- the flute can be hard enough at first! Good luck to your DD!

lynnek
08-21-2011, 11:06 PM
I have two kids going thru middle school bands right now. We found a local, reputable music store that refurbishes instruments(all the schools go to them) and we bought used for both kids. I know I can always go back to upgrade if I need to, selling it back to them if I want. Before doing this, each child agreed to play the instrument for at least two years and they have to practice 5x's a week. Because it was a finnacial commitment on our part, we asked the kids to make that commitment.

2Epcot
08-21-2011, 11:34 PM
If a child is just starting an instrument, I think renting is a better option. You make sure that is the instrument they really like. Back in grade school, my brother went from violin, to trumpet, before finally deciding on saxophone. I on the other hand knew what I liked, and played drums and percussion from grade school until I graduated high school.

kakn7294
08-22-2011, 12:51 AM
We also went with the rental option for our daughter's trumpet. She now has 1 full year under her belt and it looks as if she's going to stick with it so I'll be looking to buy soon. Be wary of eBay and other online sales as they may not be good quality instruments. Ask your school's music instructor for a good recommendation instead.

clausjo
08-22-2011, 10:07 AM
We're in the same situation with my daughter. She's only in 4th grade, but they have a good music program this year at the high school for elementary kids just starting out. We went with the rental option because I'm not sure she'll continue with the flute, or band for that matter. If she likes it, sticks with it and practices, then I'll look into buying one outright for her.

DVC2004
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I agree with renting. Kids often try things then don't keep on with it. My son wanted drums a few years back and we invested a small fortune. He barely touches them now.

KylesMom
08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
A few years back, DS wanted to try the trumpet upon entrance into 5th grade.

My fears were similar to many other posts - basically, I didn't want to front $650-$800 for a trumpet if DS decided it wasn't his thing for a brand-new one, or $350 for a used one. I know from firsthand experience with MY flute that instruments can have loads of hidden wear-and-tear on them which may necessitate large repair bills, including new pads, springs, etcetera.

We opted to rent through our school's instrument partner with an option to purchase, even though it was more expensive. After we were certain he was going to stick with it, we purchased the instrument 18 months into the contract. Not cheap, but we knew exactly what we were getting - and it was a quality instrument with a trusted school partner.

So glad we did this in the end - I have no regrets paying for a brand-new instrument that won't need more maintenance than sonic cleanings for a few more years! :play:

amy-rella
08-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone! We ended up renting a flute - it was easy to do and I think it was the best option for us. I can't wait to start going to her concerts!:flute:

kakn7294
08-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone! We ended up renting a flute - it was easy to do and I think it was the best option for us. I can't wait to start going to her concerts!:flute:And so it begins... My HS Junior daughter joined marching band in 8th grade (color guard) and now my hubby and I are band parent presidents. Our younger daughter plays trumpet so if she sticks with it, we'll have 10 years of marching band parenting - but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Wayne
08-31-2011, 11:05 PM
I know I'm late to this thread and I'm glad to hear that you decided to rent. I just wanted to say as a musician myself, that unless you know what you are doing and know specific brands and model numbers, you are ALWAYS better off buying an instrument through a reputable music dealer in your area. I would never buy an instrument through Amazon. The instruments that are available are usually very low quality and are not worth the money that you would pay for them.

wdwfansince75
09-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Been waiting for DS#1 to post to this thread...his oldest (DGS#2) started with the violin (rental), while DW taught him to play her piano. (They only live about 2 miles form us)...and in 6th grade, he switched to clarinet (rental-buy), which he initially loved, and made regions...marched with it as a freshman, before deciding to try the trumpet (rental-buy)...he liked the brass portions of jazz and marching bands, and self taught himself to the point that as a senior, he had the trumpet solo in his HS marching band. Meanwhile, he continued to play the piano, and the keyboard, (purchase) at school, in church, and with his DGM's (DW) group at Nursing Homes in our area. His christmas gift was an electronic piano. Last month, he packed his trumpet and piano in his car, and was off to college, with a major scholarship, to study music. This weekend, he will be performing in his college marching band, and continues to study piano and keyboard. His brother, DGS#2 skipped the strings, and delayed his start with music until 6th grade. He chose the Sax (rent-buy)...and is the section leader in this, his sophmore year. Loves the instrument, and marching band...and jazz band.
DGD#3, their younger sister, did strings (violin..rent) in 4th and 5th...and as a 6th grader, is in the HS marching band, in the pit, playing keyboard. (Her elder brother taught her). She plans to play sax as well, and hopes to switch to sax in the marching band next year.

Interesting fact...in their schools, with a very active music program, and an enthusiatic (and skilled) music director, and an outstanding (and enthusiastic) middle school music teacher, over half of the kids who made National Honor Society were in the band. Only a microcosim...but as I have watch these fantistic kids, and their friends, I feel that any school that devalues the music program suffers a self inflected wound.

Wayne
09-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Interesting fact...in their schools, with a very active music program, and an enthusiatic (and skilled) music director, and an outstanding (and enthusiastic) middle school music teacher, over half of the kids who made National Honor Society were in the band. Only a microcosim...but as I have watch these fantistic kids, and their friends, I feel that any school that devalues the music program suffers a self inflected wound.

Agreed.

tinksmom02
09-17-2011, 09:51 PM
We're going through something similar here...DD signed up to play the violin, DH took her to the music store to rent an instrument, came home with one--and it's going back tomorrow. The music store insisted that manufacturers do not make left-handed violins and a 30 second Google search has revealed that this is not, in fact, true. We had DD test out the violin she brought home (she does a lot right-handed, even though she writes lefty), and her inclination is to play lefty. I don't think turning the violin upside-down is the proper way to learn to play the violin. I can get a seemingly decent lefty violin online for the price of a year-long righthand rental. I haven't purchased it yet, but lessons start at the end of next week.

If she's going to learn to play an instrument, I want her to learn it the right (heehee "left") way. My kid cannot be the only left-handed kid to want to learn to play the violin, right?

SBETigg
09-17-2011, 10:15 PM
If she's going to learn to play an instrument, I want her to learn it the right (heehee "left") way. My kid cannot be the only left-handed kid to want to learn to play the violin, right?

Interesting! I asked my daughter about this. She is an accomplished violinist (Principal chair, second violin in her college orchestra- and only a freshman) and she came from an award-winning high school orchestra (American Prize, Grammy award, and they've played Carnegie Hall). I'm sure some of those kids had to be left-handed, but I've never seen anyone play that way. And I think it would be hard to fit in with an orchestra going the other way. There's a certain harmony to the way they all work together, which is not to say that it can't be done and she should definitely be accommodated. I just haven't seen it.

My daughter's answer is that both hands have to work, so left handed violinists play the same way as right, they just learn to work the hands in an opposite manner (their stronger side is the fingering instead of the bow). It might not be fair, but it is virtually impossible to fit in and play with an orchestra if you are playing on the opposite side- there is no special accommodation for that. So if your daughter learns with the left handed violin, she might have a harder time if she becomes serious about the violin. There will probably come a time that she will have to learn to play the other way if she wants to be included in a serious orchestra. You might want to start with her playing uncomfortable and hope she gets used to it. Musical experts advise against learning to play with a left handed violin for this reason. Though, there might be some very successful left handed violinists who do not play with orchestras but find acceptance in other musical areas.