PDA

View Full Version : Flag Retreat at Magic Kingdom

poohbearkris
08-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I am always looking for new experiences for when I go to WDW. I was on youtube to show my DS some video of the Magic Kingdom and saw the flag retreat on there. I cannot believe I have never seen this before. Can anybody tell me at what time it occurs???

Itchy
08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Its at 5pm. We were able to be there for it during our last trip in May.

I was amazed how many people there just walked by as if were nothing at all.

The ceremony was very well done I hope to see it again on my trip this Sept.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

08-20-2011, 06:50 PM
If possible, try to do it Sunday thru Thursday. The Main St. Philharmonic will be there on those days and it is much better with them.

They are not on-stage on Friday and Saturday.

faline
08-20-2011, 06:59 PM
It's a lovely ceremony. Those in the military and veterans can participate.

Scrappy2
08-21-2011, 02:57 PM
It is a very nice ceremony. People walking by just may not know what is going on. I have been to Disney tons and never knew they did this. On our trip in March we just happened up on it. The parks were very crowded and hot so I was just taking a break and sittingright by it when they started roping it off. Always nice to do something at Disney that you have never done before.

poohbearkris
08-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the information. I will definitely try to be there for it when the band is there. Going in December, can't wait!!:mickey:

jakeofwildwood
09-17-2011, 08:21 PM
My father is a vietnam vet. This year he has beaten prostate cancer, diabetes and now an ischemic stroke that took his right side. I read on another site (and not sure how much faith I put in it) that you can no longer request to be the "veteran of the day" for the ceremony but must be chosen by a cast member.

Does anyone have any information on how to get Dad selected?

09-18-2011, 11:28 PM
It's very pretty random selection process. The CM that is selected to pick out a veteran of the day usually looks for someone either wearing some type of a "veterans" hat, shirt or something of that nature and "normally", someone there with a family.

Sometimes the selection is made before opening and sometimes it is made later in the day. Really depends on who the opening manager for the day is and the crowd levels. I know when I was selected to pick someone, it was after we did setup for the day parade and I've seen it done at 8am. No set times that it happens.

Used to be that a request could be put in but they changed that earlier this year.

Sorry I couldn't be of more positive help. It is an honor to participate, get the certificate and receive the special pin.

buzznwoodysmom
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
My father is a vietnam vet. This year he has beaten prostate cancer, diabetes and now an ischemic stroke that took his right side. I read on another site (and not sure how much faith I put in it) that you can no longer request to be the "veteran of the day" for the ceremony but must be chosen by a cast member.

Does anyone have any information on how to get Dad selected?

No, you can no longer request to be veteran of the day. We tried to do this back in 2009. We were on our last big family vacation before DH left for Iraq. We had a pirate league appointment that morning so we were in the park very early. DH went to City Hall to see if he could be vet of the day. He was told that while they didn't have anyone selected for that day he couldn't request it. It has to be a random selection. It was a bit disappointing since up until that time I had read countless reports of people going to City Hall to request it. Maybe one day he'll get selected.

I see someone mentioned that its a 5pm. I thought it was at 4pm. We've watched the Flag Retreat at MK on many trips, and almost always have ADRs at one of the monorail resorts around 5ish. Not sure how we've been able to watch it if its at 5. Did the time recently change?

Jim&AngieMarriner
09-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I am lucky enough to have been the Vet of the day. It was Dec 22 of 2008 and at that time you could request it. I am not sure if I like the new way of chosing it. I mean yeah sure if you wanted to do it and didnt get there first you might be disapointed but randomly picking someone who is wearing something Military? I personally liked the first come first serve way. To me if it was something IMPORTANT to you then you would make it a point to get to the park and over to City Hall as soon as the park opened. If you didnt put forth the effort and someone else did, well then thats just the way it goes.

As far as the time, Yep it was at 5pm. I had to be there at 4:30 to go over everything and make sure I didnt make a fool of myself.

It was an amazing experience and I am so very glad that I was able to do it. Leading a parade of sorts down main street holding the folded flag... amazing. People were taking pictures of ME like I was something interesting. I am probably not expressing that right but hopefully you understand what im getting out.

poohbearkris, have fun on your trip and deffinately check it out.

buzznwoodysmom
09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
As far as the time, Yep it was at 5pm. I had to be there at 4:30 to go over everything and make sure I didnt make a fool of myself.

Hmmmm....Our ADRs must have been later than I thought. I must not keep good track of times when we are on vacation! LOL.