PDA

View Full Version : I have a sick child

disney obsessed
08-19-2011, 09:07 PM
The doctor thinks it might be strep or a bacterial something. He put her on an antibiotic without the strep test. I would rather know if it is so that I can expect her to fell better soon and tell her that. She is also VERY nausious(sp?). I am hoping that the medicine had a chance to work before it came back up.

It looks more like the flu but I don't think it is going around now. Has anyone heard of other flu like cases or anyone with strep that has also had this severe nausea?

Sorry to be graphic!

Joannelet
08-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I dont understand how he can not do a strep test and say it could be strep. Ugh. Was your child naseous while at the dr? What did he say that was? Does her throat really bother her? If you feel like she is getting worst take her to the ER. Does she have any other symptoms? Hope she feels better soon!

garymacd
08-19-2011, 09:43 PM
One word of warning, but first: I hope your child feels better soon. She should, if it is strep. I can't believe the doctor did not do a strep throat swab, either, but c'est la vie.

Now for the word of warning. Warning: Science content! Flip to the next thread if you are easily bored. Whether or not you hear back from the doctor, continue to give the anti-biotic exactly as prescribed until it is gone or your doctor says stop. Don't stop because your daughter feels better. The only way any bacteria is completely eradicated is to ensure you get the proper amount of drugs. Stopping anti-biotics after four or five days, only strengthens the bacteria, making it harder to kill and helping it become resistant to that specific anti-biotic.

Feel better soon!

Tinkerfreak
08-20-2011, 06:09 AM
I'm also surprised they did not do a strep test.
If she wasn't nauseaus before taking the antibiotic it could be making her sick. My daughter had to eat a piece of bread whenever she took anitbiotics or she couldn't keep them down.

TiggeRia
08-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Honestly it doesn't really matter whether or not they test for strep throat. If your child has a throat that is sore and exuding pus, like strep and other throat infections do, then they are going to be treated with antibiotics whether it is strep or not and they get treated with the same antibiotics. It is often an unnecessary test because whether or not a sore throat is treated with antibiotics is usually based on the symptoms and appearance of the throat. And yes, it is common for children who have strep throat to experience abdominal pain and nausea. Sometimes those are actually the only outward symptoms. The important thing is to completely finish the antibiotics, even if your child begins to feel better.

Aurora
08-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Honestly it doesn't really matter whether or not they test for strep throat. If your child has a throat that is sore and exuding pus, like strep and other throat infections do, then they are going to be treated with antibiotics whether it is strep or not and they get treated with the same antibiotics. It is often an unnecessary test because whether or not a sore throat is treated with antibiotics is usually based on the symptoms and appearance of the throat. And yes, it is common for children who have strep throat to experience abdominal pain and nausea. Sometimes those are actually the only outward symptoms. The important thing is to completely finish the antibiotics, even if your child begins to feel better.

:ditto:

disney obsessed
08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Well, after a rough night she is feeling a bit better and is able to sleep.
Thanks all.

Tinkerfreak
08-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Glad to hear she is feeling better. :)

MissMaryPoppins
08-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Strep throat is pretty easy to spot. I had it a few years ago and I felt nauseous too. I'm sensitive with a lot of medications so I usually have toast, yogurt, or crackers before I take something. That should help and drinking a lot of water with it. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

disney obsessed
08-23-2011, 04:07 PM
It was deffinatly strep. Within the first 24 of meds she was getting better and the next day was significantly better. Now I just have to remind her finish her meds.

Love the wonders of modern medicine.