PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Room Service Personnel

mydisneygirls
08-18-2011, 06:30 PM
What is the correct amount to tip per day and do you leave it daily or at the end of the week?

faline
08-18-2011, 06:33 PM
There are two of us and we would typically leave $3 per day. You may not have the same person every day so if you wait until the end of the trip, someone who only comes to work that one day may benefit from the hard work done all week long by another!

mydisneygirls
08-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Oh right, didn't think of that. I'll leave the tip daily then. There are 3 of us, so $4-5 a day?

faline
08-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Many folks use $2 per person per day. I'd say $5 would be fine for 3. We're relatively neat folks. We don't leave trash around, pick up all our clothes and put away anything that doesn't need to sit out. We don't demand clean sheets on a daily basis though we do want fresh towels. Still, even our used towels are left in one area rather than being scattered about. We do leave the bed unmade which is a real luxury as, at home, we make our bed every morning before we head out for the day! (And now that we're DVC owners and don't get daily housekeeping service, we even make our bed daily before we leave our room for the day - except on those days that we do receive housekeeping service)!

McLiberal8
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I tip $2 a day, usually. We have had previous threads about this, and someone mentioned they have envelopes they make, pre-filled with $$$ for each day, and they decorate them. I think that's a great idea, and that's what I am planning on doing for my next trip!

mydisneygirls
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
We don't leave a mess either. It's just myself and my 2 daughters. Towels are in one pile under the sink so I think $5 is reasonable. What a great idea to make envelopes beforehand. The girls will have fund decorating them!!!!

Mousemates
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
there is no correct amount...its a purely personal choice since mousekeeping is technically a non-tipping position at WDW ( that doesn't mean you can't tip them, but it does mean that a tip should not be expected by the employee simply for doing the work they are paid for). With that being said, if our maid service is good Mrs. Mousemates now usually leaves three dollars for the two of us, and a five if the four of us make the journey. Like many others we don't tend to make much of mess in the rooms and the actually cleaning up after us is minimal.

greengeen
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Why not save the money for someone who works for tips, like your restaurant server? Housekeeping is not a tipped position.

mydisneygirls
08-18-2011, 08:13 PM
I didn't know housekeeping was a no tip position. I will still leave something because once I forgot and had horrible service. And I know I'll have to tip the restaurant servers so I don't want to break my bank from tipping everyone!!!

Tinkerbella16
08-18-2011, 09:10 PM
We usually leave $1 per person each day in the room before we head out in the morning. Like Faline said, you may not have the same person all week so we like to leave it daily just incase. If theres 3 of us we will leave $3 on the dresser each day.. Eventhough they are not expected get tips.. it is nice to do. They leave cute towel animals and I will never know how they do that.. they are amazing! lol We are not messy people at all.. we always keep the room neat, we just leave the beds unkept and throw our used towels/washrags in the tub for new ones. :mickey:

disneymom2000
08-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I normally have about 4 persons in my party. I make up my envelopes for MouseKeeping prior to my visit and decorate each envelope with Disney stickers and leave $5 in each envelope. That way I don't have to worry about anything once I am at the World. It also seems when I do it this way that there isn't as much out of my pocket while I am there.

MCeee
08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
While its true that mousekeeping is not generally considered a "tip required" service, we always do it anyway. We didn't used to, but now that we do, we have found that our mousekeeper seems to always do something special for us each day. Small things, yes, nice things nonetheless.

DebK
08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
I still do it too. Almost all of the time the housekeepers have gone out of their way to thank us......They appreciate it very much.

JerseyDad
08-20-2011, 10:30 AM
.....we always leave the tip each day...because you never know if the housekeeping staff gets switched around over the course of a 7 to 10 day stay. We customarily leave $5 or $6 a day....with a little extra on our last day as a special thank you. The housekeeping staff at POP (where we always stay) has always been very good...and I think a decent tip is the least we can do for someone who makes the stay comfortable.

wdwaggie
08-20-2011, 02:29 PM
We tip $5/day and we make up pre-printed envelopes with Disney logos and Thank You written on them.

mistybroussard
08-20-2011, 03:59 PM
There is a website that has cute downloads for envelopes for mousekeeping and other staff as well. I think it was themouseforless but I could be wrong about that. I think decorated envelopes are a cute idea and gets the kids invovled.:mickey:

Daisy'sMom
08-21-2011, 11:16 AM
We always leave $2 a day. It might be a no tip position but I think they deserve it. I would never want to clean somebody's bathroom. :mickey:

TexansInNY
08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
We tip as well per day usually five bucks. I look at it as we are fortunate enough to be there and they work hard and I have no issue with it at all. I would not get worked up in the amount though or the level of cleanliness - I am sure there are thousands a day less clean than your room that leave zip and they no doubt appreciate it.

MNNHFLTX
08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
We usually leave $1 per person each day in the room before we head out in the morning. Like Faline said, you may not have the same person all week so we like to leave it daily just incase. If theres 3 of us we will leave $3 on the dresser each day.. Eventhough they are not expected get tips.. it is nice to do. They leave cute towel animals and I will never know how they do that.. they are amazing!Just wanted to add that even if you do leave tips, there is no guarantee that housekeeping will leave towel animals. I only mention it because it always seems to come in this forum--someone who is disappointed that they don't get towel animals even after tipping. Personally we leave a tip also, usually a couple of dollars. It's something I like to do. :)

AllDisney
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
We tip daily. We leave $2 a day. We are EXTREMELY neat so basically pick up the dirty towels, vac (if they do that daily), empty trash, straighten bed and that's it:)

brownie
08-22-2011, 09:52 PM
There's no right amount and it's not required to tip. We leave $1 per person per night, and leave it each morning of the trip. We leave each it morning since the housekeeper may not be the same each day.

TheRustyScupper
08-22-2011, 10:20 PM
1) We do not tip maids at WDW.
2) They are one of the highest paid groups at WDW.
3) If they made minimum wage, yes.
4) When they can make $13/hr, no.
5) In addition to hourly pay, they can make
. . . incentive bonus
. . . room bonuses
. . . go home early with pay

Hammer
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM
It's not saying much that housekeepers are some of the best paid groups at WDW when a small percentage top out at $13 a hour. A much larger percentage make slightly above minimum wage, which does not get you above the poverty line.

Personally, if people want to tip, that's their business. We tip 3-5 dollars per day (depending on if it is 2 or 3 in the room), regardless of the hotel, be it Disney or not.

Cjsmom1811
08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Thank You Rusty Scupper. This thread always bothers me. It is NOT a tipping position. Why would you leave your hard earned money when it is not called for. If you are tidy and dont abuse the room you dont have to feel guilty enough to leave money. Show your appreciation by following the rules and be reasonable. You do not have to tip the maids.
I will never understand this mindset. Who else are people tipping that are not in tipping positions. My family is feeling the economic crunch. Keep your money and spend it on your kids.:confused:

Scar
08-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Why would you leave your hard earned money when it is not called for.Because the more you sow, the more you reap.

Tinkerbella16
08-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Just wanted to add that even if you do leave tips, there is no guarantee that housekeeping will leave towel animals. I only mention it because it always seems to come in this forum--someone who is disappointed that they don't get towel animals even after tipping. Personally we leave a tip also, usually a couple of dollars. It's something I like to do. :)

Towel animals are never my concern when I go.. I was just saying that they will sometimes leave them and they are really something. People should know that it isn't gauranteed. I don't and wouldn't ever get disappointed if we didn't get any during our stay lol. :mickey:

mydisneygirls
08-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Had no idea they are one of the highest paid! Towel animals are not a necessity for me so it wouldn't bother me if they didn't leave any also!!! The only thing I hope is that they at least have a balloon in the room for my daughter's birthday!!!

McLiberal8
08-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I was always raised to tip in situations where you are getting personal service - regardless of the pay of said person.
Room service, bell hops, taxis, housekeeping, bartenders, baristas, waiters. They are exchanging labor for personal service.
I have been in a service job position. It is always nice to get a tip, no matter the amount. When you are providing personal service for someone else, it is nice to be acknowledged that your hard work is appreciated. That's why I tip.

The only thing I hope is that they at least have a balloon in the room for my daughter's birthday!!!
Hmm, I have never heard of Mousekeeping having balloons available for rooms. You might have to order something through Disney for this..

mickey_M_lvr
08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
This topic always confuses me. :confused: I undestand that they are doin a job that I don't want to do. But I also understand exactly how much time I am in my room....or should I say NOT in my room. We sleep, change clothes, and shower. We don't eat in our room....so there is not massive amounts of things to do. OK they make the bed and wipe out the shower.

I could go on and on but I won't..... I just feel like tipping is a personal thing. You don't have to do something just because someone else has done it in the past. Times and financial budgets change.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-26-2011, 04:10 PM
We tip $1 a day if the service is good. Like restaurant tipping, I believe in doing so if they are exceptional people and have made my experience better. That goes for Mousekeeping too. The last time we were there, I didn't leave a tip since the keeper(s) we had were pretty bad ie. no vacuuming, dirty sinks and one day they just forgot about us. It was, by far, the exception. All our other trips have been great!

We are also pretty neat people, so there isn't a real mess when I leave in the morning anyway. :D

TammiMcMan
08-27-2011, 11:08 PM
I will never understand this mindset.As shared in this thread, there are lots of reasons people make the choices they do.

In regards to housekeeping, in most hotel chains, they do rely on tips to supplement their pay. Disney housekeepers have a contract which isn't an industry standard and tips are not expected. That leaves two groups of people, the ones who will choose to tip anyway and those that will use the money on other things :bar: (yum). And the bottom line, no matter which of those groups we're in, we're right :thumbsup: .

nfrustaci
08-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I tip $2 a day, usually. We have had previous threads about this, and someone mentioned they have envelopes they make, pre-filled with $$$ for each day, and they decorate them. I think that's a great idea, and that's what I am planning on doing for my next trip!

we do the same thing, i shop at the party store for discontinued disney thank yous. usually spend around a dollar for 8 cards with envelopes. then we use stickers on the envelopes and write Mousekeeping. inside the card we say thanks for keeping our room so neat !!! and end with our family name. we then put it on the pillow. last year we had a table top xmas tree and affixed the envelope to the treet. it is a fun family thing to do.

WDWdreamer87
08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Let me start by saying we never expect tips. We are all aware this is a non-tipped position. So, don't ever think you have to tip us.
I do however think that sometimes a little appreciation (whether it be money, thank you card, or a compliment in person) can help.

My examples are personal experiences.
If your child continuously wets the bed, leave a note. I've had countless people try to cover up the accident. :confused: At the end of your stay, thank your housekeeper.

If your room is beyond recognition, leave a tip. Some rooms require more maintenance rather than cleaning. (I've had to clear a path just to get inside rooms countless times.)

If you want specific services (linen change everyday, extra towels, cleaning before 10 am etc), leave a tip. Its hard working around 18 different room schedules, on top of having checkouts, linen changes, and keeping the Mouse happy. :mickey:

mydisneygirls
08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Monica: Didn't mean to offend you or other mousekeepers by this post. For those visitors that trash a room, they should be ashamed of themselves and for those parents that allow their children to continuously wet the bed, put a darn pull up on them!!!! To you and all the mousekeepers, thank you for the made beds, clean towels, always stocked soap and coffee!!!! :)

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Monica, thank you for sharing your perspective on this.

I think what it comes down to is that there is no right or wrong--as in all things, people should act according to conscience and not what worry what someone else is doing.

bertasso59
08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
I did make the mistake of tipping only on the final day,forgetting that you will likely have someone different each day.Nevertheless,even without those tips each day we were always surprised by the little things they did like towel animals and arranging the 'full suitcase of stuffed animals' my DD brought on her bed in little scenes.It shows that the staff doesnt require tipping to go above and beyond..,which of course encourages me to tip even more

B.O.B
08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I guess the $20/day I usually leave is too much! Guess I'll have to adjust! But all the towel animals all over the place are reallly cool!
:mickey::thumbsup:

Sylvia
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
I think what it comes down to is that there is no right or wrong--as in all things, people should act according to conscience and not what worry what someone else is doing.

I agree. Tipping is a personal thing; we have always tipped, not because it is expected, but because we appreciate all that the mousekeepers do to make our stay more magical. Back in the days before the resorts went non-smoking, and before my Mother passed away, she'd always greet the mousekeeper (who was cleaning the room next door) while she was outside having a cigarette. She respected what they did, and appreciated their efforts. A small thing, but it added to the trip.

So, as long as AMTRAK is back in service and the weather along the east coast cooperates, I'll be headed south on the Silver Star in just 12 days for another fun-filled vacation as ASMusic. I hope the Pixie Dust is working overtime.

Monica - I don't know where in ASMusic I'll be staying this trip, but I'll see if I can find you to say hi.

WDWdreamer87
08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Monica - I don't know where in ASMusic I'll be staying this trip, but I'll see if I can find you to say hi.

See you real soon! I am working all over the resort now so I may not be in one location.

Dsnygirl
09-10-2011, 02:33 AM
We have always left a tip, usually $4 to $5/day for our family of four. We have two children, and while we strive to keep the place neat, sometimes in the desire to rush out the door, it's not always the easiest thing to do. And once we realized the extent that the (at least ours) Mousekeepers do, we were more than happy to say thank you!

They do far more than make the bed and clean out the shower... our shoes are always neatly lined up, counters are tidied (sometimes in a very cute way) and this last trip, we drove & my girls brought WAY too many stuffed animals. Well, our Mousekeeper (or Mousekeepers) found new and creative ways to arrange them every single day... they even made a couch for them out of our daughter's blankets and had them sitting on it on the bed one day, and another time had them all perched together, remote in hand, watching TV. They were fun & creative and it gave us a laugh every time we got back to our room... in fact, our girls were looking forward to seeing what they did each day!

So, for service like that, I am always happy to give them a little extra, regardless of whether or not it is considered to be a "tipped" position. I am a nurse, and am not allowed to be tipped... but the occassional thank you note I've gotten has meant the world, as have the flowers I've been given and a few other nice things that have been done to say thank you. Would I ever expect it?? Not on your life... but it brings a smile and brightens my day whenever it happens, and if I can pass that on, then it's all good. :)

Mfarquar
09-10-2011, 09:40 AM
We leave a tip because even though they are the highest paid, $13 an hour is a difficult salary to live on in this country. Times are tough and these people work hard to make sure that I have a nice vacation and comfortable stay.

If we can afford to go on vacation that year, then tipping $15-20 for a week stay does not make a difference in our vacation budget.

They provide a very personal service and still need to scrub tubs, wipe down sinks, and touch dirty towels regardless of how neat we are in our room. Whenever I have asked for extra towels, a new comforter, etc. I have always been granted my request with a smile and a "Can I get you anything else?". Unfortunately, I cannot say that I have experienced the same service at some 5 star hotels. So, I appreciate the service provided at Disney and choose to tip.

Obviously, it is a personal choice. This is just my opinion and my rational for why we tip.

kemps@wdw
09-11-2011, 12:47 AM
We leave $5 in an envelope w/our mousekeeper's name on it every morning before we leave for the day.

WDWdreamer87
09-12-2011, 11:26 PM
We leave a tip because even though they are the highest paid, $13 an hour is a difficult salary to live on in this country. Times are tough and these people work hard to make sure that I have a nice vacation and comfortable stay.

Housekeepers do not make $13 an hour. Those are Housepersons, who do NOT clean guest rooms. Housepersons are the ones cleaning the outside of the building, picking up the dirty linen and trash from the housekeepers, and delivering to rooms (fridge, crib, cot, etc.)

$13 an hour sounds delightful though :)

Mfarquar
09-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Housekeepers do not make $13 an hour. Those are Housepersons, who do NOT clean guest rooms. Housepersons are the ones cleaning the outside of the building, picking up the dirty linen and trash from the housekeepers, and delivering to rooms (fridge, crib, cot, etc.)

$13 an hour sounds delightful though :)

Sorry for the misinformation - I was just using what previous posters had mentioned.

All the more I will be tipping on my upcoming trip!