PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Countdown, who's in?

dnickels
08-18-2011, 03:07 PM
So we're still about 140 days to the races, but who else is racing the Disney Marathon or Half Marathon this year? Looks like none are sold out yet so there's still plenty of time to register and get in shape if you've been saying "maybe next year." :thumbsup:

Melanie
08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Which one are you doing dnickels? Good luck with your training! :thumbsup:

Once again, my hubby is doing the Goofy Challenge, as well as doing the Family 5K with my boys. OH, and yep, they talked me and my mother-in-law into doing the 5K with them this year. What was that? Melanie? Run? Oh boy, this ought to be interesting. :blush:

We're making a nice long weekend of it and staying at Wilderness Lodge. Already getting excited. I love Marathon weekend! :walk:

DisneyMP3Maker
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm in! Running the Disney World half-marathon in January. Already booked the trip too. Can't wait.

floridamom
08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm training for the half! We were just visiting during the marathon weekend last year and it inspired me. :mickey:

Running right now in the Florida heat and humidity is challenging. It will be interesting to see what the weather will be like in January ...

dnickels
08-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I'll be doing the Goofy Challenge too, second one for me. Great to see a few other Intercotees will be running that weekend as well!

A Big Kid
08-19-2011, 03:15 AM
In for the full again.

dnickels
10-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Inside the 100 day mark, hope everyone is on pace with their training! :number1:

Melanie
10-07-2011, 07:14 PM
How is everyone's training going?

badkitty
10-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm in for the 1/2! First one ever. I ran my first 5K over the weekend at the WDW Halloween 5K. What a blast. :mickey:

I'm following Jeff Galloway's training for beginners. So far so good. Week Six. This weekend is scheduled a 6.5 mile run on the program. I feel pretty good about it. :thumbsup:

Melanie
10-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm in for the 1/2! First one ever. I ran my first 5K over the weekend at the WDW Halloween 5K. What a blast. :mickey:

I'm following Jeff Galloway's training for beginners. So far so good. Week Six. This weekend is scheduled a 6.5 mile run on the program. I feel pretty good about it. :thumbsup:

Congratulations!!! :walk: :thumbsup:

Patricia
10-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Good luck to all of you!

We were supposed to be there during the Princess 1/2 and I wanted to do that one.. but it looks like a change of plans and we are no longer going at that time.

Drat! :(

Some year I'd like to get that coast to coast medal.. I'll keep trying.

like2workout
10-09-2011, 10:44 AM
i'm in for both this year. i've done the half for the past 2 years, but plan on doing the goofy challenge for the first time.

buzznwoodysmom
10-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Ok, I'm sure I can find this info somewhere, but I'm gonna go ahead and be lazy. :thedolls: What is the Goofy Challange?

My DH loves doing races. I may have to talk him into one of these races one year. He was thinking about doing the IronMan in May, but I think that race is already sold out.

dnickels
10-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Ok, I'm sure I can find this info somewhere, but I'm gonna go ahead and be lazy. :thedolls: What is the Goofy Challange?

My DH loves doing races. I may have to talk him into one of these races one year. He was thinking about doing the IronMan in May, but I think that race is already sold out.

The Goofy Challenge is completing the Disney half marathon on Saturday morning, and then completing the full marathon on Sunday morning. Back to back days, 39.3 miles in total.

Your hubby still has time to get into either (or both) races. The full and half are showing 3/4 full, and the goofy at 88% full as of this morning.

My training is going well, about an hour each morning before work and another half hour after dinner.

Just a tip for any first timers, and something I wish I'd known when I did the races for my first time last year involving the bag-drop.
Disney offers a bag-drop system like most big races, HOWEVER, due to the layout and logistics of their course, you basically have to drop off your bag an hour or two BEFORE you will start the race. If it's a cold or rainy morning that's a long time to get cold and stiff. The best thing to do is to make a stop at Goodwill or somewhere similar and pick up a pair of sweatpants/sweatshirt/jacket/mittens/hat or whatever you may need to stay warm/dry. Then just before the race starts strip down to your racing clothes and ditch the stuff along the route. Disney picks up any discarded clothes along the route and donates them to Goodwill (or some other similar store). Having warm clothes up to the start of the race will make it much more enjoyable. :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
The Goofy Challenge is completing the Disney half marathon on Saturday morning, and then completing the full marathon on Sunday morning. Back to back days, 39.3 miles in total.

Your hubby still has time to get into either (or both) races. The full and half are showing 3/4 full, and the goofy at 88% full as of this morning.

:

Thanks for the info on the Goofy Challenge. I would love to go for the marathon this year, but I don't think its going to happen. We'll be in WDW for Christmas. No way in the world I can talk hubby into going back the very next month. Good luck to all those running this year!!

badkitty
10-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Just a tip for any first timers, and something I wish I'd known when I did the races for my first time last year involving the bag-drop.
Disney offers a bag-drop system like most big races, HOWEVER, due to the layout and logistics of their course, you basically have to drop off your bag an hour or two BEFORE you will start the race. If it's a cold or rainy morning that's a long time to get cold and stiff. The best thing to do is to make a stop at Goodwill or somewhere similar and pick up a pair of sweatpants/sweatshirt/jacket/mittens/hat or whatever you may need to stay warm/dry. Then just before the race starts strip down to your racing clothes and ditch the stuff along the route. Disney picks up any discarded clothes along the route and donates them to Goodwill (or some other similar store). Having warm clothes up to the start of the race will make it much more enjoyable. :thumbsup:

Great advice! Thanks! :mickey:

badkitty
10-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Congratulations!!! :walk: :thumbsup:

Thanks Mel! :mickey:

rubato
10-10-2011, 05:16 PM
I wish I could join you all for my 2nd Goofy Challenge, but I'm injured and out this year. Hoping for next year.

dnickels: How did it go this year? I remember discussing things on here before the races, but never got back on after we got home. :blush: I had an amazing weekend. Finished strong for the half and full, but wiped out hard in the full. Every day, I get to look at my shoulder and see my horrible scar and remember my Goofy weekend!:thumbsup:

dnickels
10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
dnickels: How did it go this year? I remember discussing things on here before the races, but never got back on after we got home. :blush: I had an amazing weekend. Finished strong for the half and full, but wiped out hard in the full. Every day, I get to look at my shoulder and see my horrible scar and remember my Goofy weekend!:thumbsup:

It was great, I felt good both during and after each of the races, placed pretty well and was under the times I was hoping for. Heal up and hope you're back for the 2013 version! :thumbsup:

dnickels
10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Today marks exactly 10 weeks away from the start of Marathon Weekend 2012. Keep up that training everyone! :number1:

A Big Kid
10-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Today marks exactly 10 weeks away from the start of Marathon Weekend 2012. Keep up that training everyone! :number1:

18 miles yesterday. I'll be ready, Freddy!

DizRunner
11-18-2011, 07:30 AM
I can feel the excitement!

In my eyes when it comes to running there's nothing better than running under the monorail as it just left the Contemporary. To see the Contemporary all lit up at 6:30am on the right and then up ahead seeing Space Mountain all lit up. Beautiful...just beautiful!

And for you other runners who do Disney regularly, it's looking like Splash Mountain will be open Marathon Weekend! WooHoo!!

brdavis
11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Someday...

We're headed down, with DW and DS (14) doing the half, myself and DD (11) doing the 5K, and our youngest DD (7) doing the Mickey Mile. Right now the youngest could actually do the 5K in about 40 minutes, but... well, we have to wait for the age limit. Besides, this way she won't be beating me as yet :).

It's hard to train with kids if both of you want to run. I'd like to do the Goofy someday...

--
Brian Davis

dnickels
12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
10 days left! No slacking off now! :thumbsup:

Melanie
12-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Getting excited about our family marathon weekend. At this point, the 5K will be a brisk walk for me though.

Good luck to everyone in their wind down training! :thumbsup:

floridamom
01-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Marathon weekend last year we met up with old friends at Disney and were inspired by all the runners, and now I find myself starting to pack for the trip to run my first Half!

Weather forecast is looking pretty steady- short runs this week should help determine what I will wear on race day.

If all goes well, my (not-so) secret plan is to persuade DH to join me for the TOT 13K this fall!

Melanie
01-05-2012, 06:06 AM
It's here! Good luck to everyone and be sure to post back here with your experiences. I'll be in the MK bright and early Sunday morning to cheer everyone on. Can't wait for that! Have fun everyone!!

A Big Kid
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
It's here! Good luck to everyone and be sure to post back here with your experiences. I'll be in the MK bright and early Sunday morning to cheer everyone on. Can't wait for that! Have fun everyone!!

Look for me. I'll be the one running.:number1:

Patricia
01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Good luck, everyone!

Have fun.:mickey:

wildernesslady
01-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Good luck to all runners and supporters. Have a great weekend.

badkitty
01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks all for the encouragement! I finished my first 1/2 marathon and there were still folks behind me. :secret: What a fantastic time. I was taking full advantage of the photo ops. I even have a great pic of me and Mickey at the finish line. I think I'm hooked. I'm going to sign up for the Disneyland 1/2 and try for the coast to coast challenge medal! What a cool race! :thumbsup: I hope everyone else had a great time and did well.

dnickels
01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Had a great time in both races and improved my times from last year so I had a blast! :thumbsup:

Talked to another wheelchair racer after the full marathon and he had quite a story. Where the race course passes through the Magic Kingdom you go down main street and then make a right at the hub and head towards tomorrowland. Where you make that turn there's a curb and a cut in the curb - both painted the same dark grey color. In the low light he didn't see where the cut was (there were no cones to guide people towards the curb cut there) and he hit the curb, blew out a tire and bent the rim on one of his wheels.

Now he was carrying spare tubes, but the impact blew out the actual tire so he was kind of stuck. He managed to find some Disney maintenance people who took him through an elevator down into the tunnel below the park, patched up his tire with lots of electrical tape and he was able to get back out on the course and finish the race! These were maintenance CMs who had nothing to do with the race other than they happened to be at work while it was going on so that was a pretty neat story to hear.

badkitty
01-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Wow! What a great story. I'm glad he wasn't hurt from the impact.

brownie
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
He managed to find some Disney maintenance people who took him through an elevator down into the tunnel below the park, patched up his tire with lots of electrical tape and he was able to get back out on the course and finish the race! These were maintenance CMs who had nothing to do with the race other than they happened to be at work while it was going on so that was a pretty neat story to hear.

:thumbsup: