PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Christmas Party: Less is More

Gator
08-18-2011, 12:41 PM
I've been to WDW twice during the Christmas season (2006&2008). The first trip, we decided we'd do the MVMCP. It seems like I spent about $42 each and my 1 yo was free. For my money, I get another crowded Castle stage play, another play that if you don't stand in line for an hour you won't have a seat, and a parade with the characters in Christmas adornment. 2 years later, I skipped the party.

But here's my beef. The stinking party runs 4 nights a week. The days of the party have small crowds, but they basically kick you out around 6pm. The days without the party stay open to 8pm, but the crowds feel like summer.

What I'm getting at is, I wish WDW would scale back MVMCP to just 2 or 3 days a week. If you go to DHS, they've scaled back Fantasmic to just 2 days a week - why not MVMCP? If you go in December, the ticket to get into the park costs the same as any other time of year. The difference is, you get kicked out early 4 out of 7 days in a week. This is why my last two trips have been in January.

PopPhan
08-18-2011, 01:19 PM
First off, Fantasmic is back to a nightly show.

Second, if Disney thinks (knows) that they can make money on the hard-ticketed events (MVMCP, MNSSHP,etc.) you can bet that they will expand the number/days of such events.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that they are getting a bit out of hand with the early closings, but as long as people buy into them.....

brivers222
08-18-2011, 01:32 PM
we are going to three MVMCP's just to give us some Extra late December hours at the MK..... I love MK after 10pm and sadly this is the only way to experience it really.

Daisy'sMom
08-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I never thought about how many nights the parties run. When you think about it, it is sad that they park closes early so many times a week. It's greed, plain and simple. I don't think we will buy in to it anymore. I don't want to be a part of the parties that ruin the Disney experience for some. :mickey:

Gator
08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
we are going to three MVMCP's just to give us some Extra late December hours at the MK..... I love MK after 10pm and sadly this is the only way to experience it really.

Yeah, I like it late at night, too. At least, before kids I did. But you're going 3 times. That's $180 (with tax). I'm already spending around $275 for 8 days. I really can't afford to increase the cost of tickets 60%.

And a PP said Fantasmic is everyday now. Maybe in the summer, but not during the non-holiday days of November and December.

I guess if people are crazy enough to continue to pay the money, it will exist 4 days a week.

jonahbear2006
08-18-2011, 04:41 PM
I never thought about how many nights the parties run. When you think about it, it is sad that they park closes early so many times a week. It's greed, plain and simple. I don't think we will buy in to it anymore. I don't want to be a part of the parties that ruin the Disney experience for some. :mickey:

I agree with you. I was conflicted with whether or not to buy halloween and xmas party tickets until i saw this thread. I dont want them anymore. I thought the halloween party was too busy for us to really get enough of it done to make it worth my while. my husband thinks its a rip off so he didnt want them in the first place. We just did it to see the headless horseman. been there, done that. It is sad that Walt isnt still here to regulate some of the greed back to family oriented gladness.

JROriole8Fan
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
It's capitalism. They are a business, this is America. You have the right to go or not. Disney runs on supply and demand and you can vote with your dollars. I actually agree, in 25 years we've done each once and that was enough. And, I don't recall Walt giving things away either. He was a businessman and a capitalist. He would be proud of the company that is providing people what they want at a price they agree to pay. Just because you don't want it doesn't make it wrong or greedy.

beezyboo10
08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Everything Disney is expensive and we all complain. From parking to a bottled water. But the funny thing is we keep going and we all enjoy the trams and the monrail. The parking fee helps pay for those luxaries if i am not mistaken. My recomendation is to not go if it doesn't fit you. I priced tickets to a concert for me and my wife and was going to be $160 for 2 hours of fun. I am going to pay $634 for a 4 day pass in November plus the $250 plus for the MVMCP. Under a $1000 for 4 people to have 4 and a half days of great memories. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

disneymom2000
08-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Hear Hear I agree. The free enterprise business of America is alive and well at Disney. If it is too expensive, like a lot of people complain about, then why don't you see the crowds getting smaller? I for one am glad it is thriving because it stays in business and I have somewhere to go every year.:mickey:

brivers222
08-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I like it late at night, too. At least, before kids I did. But you're going 3 times. That's $180 (with tax). I'm already spending around $275 for 8 days. I really can't afford to increase the cost of tickets 60%.

And a PP said Fantasmic is everyday now. Maybe in the summer, but not during the non-holiday days of November and December.

I guess if people are crazy enough to continue to pay the money, it will exist 4 days a week.
Right... if we had anyone but ourselves there is no way we would be going to 3 of the 5 offered during our 10 days.

and yes, during the 9th - 19th of December Fantasmic is only happening 5 times.

Polynesian Dweller
08-19-2011, 12:38 AM
It's greed, plain and simple.

Why is Disney charging for something always called greed in this type of thread. It isn't, it is what others have been saying, capitalism. Nothing more. In capitalism, which is the basis of the American economic system, you charge what the market will bear. Obviously, so many people are buying party tickets that the business can keep on selling them. And, they are still getting daytime sales and not losing because of party nights.

So, in the spirit of capitalism, this is all a very rational business decision. Greed is an irrational emotion over riding normal rational decision making. That isn't happening here since it is a rational decision to increase revenue as a business in America is epected to do and therefor not greed.

lizzi6692
08-19-2011, 02:18 AM
I really don't understand why so many people complain about Disney making money. They are a business, that's what they do. If you don't like it, go somewhere else where you'll spend the same amount of money for a lesser experience.

VWL Mom
08-19-2011, 07:46 AM
When the parties first started people were complaining they were sold out so Disney added more. Are they making money, yes. They are a business. As a consumer you have the right to take your money elsewhere.

We'll be attending our first MVMCP this year and look forward to it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-19-2011, 08:16 AM
The reason there are less Fantasmics and more MVMCP is that one is free the other costs around $60 per person. I think I saw where the week we go in December there are two showings of Fantasmic that week. So knowing lines for Fantasmic would be long, I naturally booked a Fantasmic package.
Luckily for us, the last night of MVMCP is the first full day of our trip and the following night MK stays open until 10 with EMH until 1 am. That's when we plan to visit MK.

TheVBs
08-19-2011, 08:28 AM
This is why my last two trips have been in January.

I think this is a sensible response to your complaint. If you don't like the regular operating hours for Dec. because of the party, just go another time.

Gator
08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Luckily for us, the last night of MVMCP is the first full day of our trip and the following night MK stays open until 10 with EMH until 1 am. That's when we plan to visit MK.

Here's the problem with this scenario. With 3 days of the week offering normal hours, which days do you think everyone will be going to the MK? In 2008, those days were crazy.

And I'm not one calling them greedy. I like capitalism and I get it. This is just a good place to complain about one of the things I don't like. I LOVE Christmas at WDW, and would love to go again. It just seems like less of a headache to go at a different time. And that's assuming I can talk my wife out of a trip to Hawaii:thumbsup:

Daisy'sMom
08-19-2011, 06:51 PM
No matter how much I am scolded for my belief that Disney is being greedy with so many nights of parties, it still is not possible for some families to pay that kind of money on top of what they spend for regular Disney tickets and hotels. And some children would love to experience the Magic Kingdom at night. But while they are lucky enough to go to Disney, they will never experience the electric parade and fireworks because their parents can not afford to buy extra tickets. That is sad. When they start closing the parks on certain days for residents of Golden Oaks, then some will agree with me. It just might come to that, wait and see.:mickey: