PDA

View Full Version : The Pinocchio Conundrum...

darthmacho
08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Okay, so it's actually just a standard question, but I thought my title was catchier. In any case, this may be a tough question to answer, or it might be so simple that I'll feel silly when you answer it.

Anyway, the question is about Pinocchio:

Why is it that in Magic Kingdom, Pinocchio Haus has entirely German theming, including appropriate folk music, and yet, when we get to Epcot, we find Pinocchio in...Italy?

Which is it, Italian or German?

Okay, feel free to answer, or make fun of the question, but don't lie, because you know we'll all know! ;)

In retrospect, I should have gone with "The Pinocchio Paradox" for a title...

PopPhan
08-17-2011, 01:39 PM
If I were to hazard a guess, and that is all I could do since I was not in on the design and construction of the park (LOL), I would say that that area was not originally designed for a Pinocchio attraction/venue.

There were a number of things in MK that were 'spur of the moment' changes, supposedly for budgetary concerns, prior to the opening of the park. (Most ended up costing more that what had been originally planned!!)

Strmchsr
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Pinocchio is definitely Italian. The original story came from Italy, and even most of the names in the Disney movie - Geppetto, Figaro, Stromboli, Cleo, Monstro, etc are all Italian.

However, the story takes place in northern Italy, near the Alps where there would be a high Swiss/Austrian influence. As such, the Pinocchio Haus with German influence could still be correct even though the story is most definitely Italian. So, there's not really a paradox. It's actually quite possible for a similar place to exist in northern Italy complete with more Alpine theming (which is really what Pinocchio Haus is more than classic German).

Now, for a specific reason as to why it's themed the way it is, you can blame Gustaf Tenggren, who was one of Disney's chief Illustrators. He was hired by Disney in 1936 to give an “Old World” look to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but this influence rolled over into Pinocchio, where Old World German architecture won out over Italian (and if you look at his name it won't be hard to figure out why). This is reflected in the design of Village Haus. In fact, if you look up at the building, you will note that it is exactly like the opening scene in Pinocchio.

So, there's both a practical and the "real" answer behind the question.

Mufasa
08-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Pinocchio is Italian.

However, examining the art direction for the film's setting and the influence it had on the design in the Magic Kingdom really traces back to the work of Gustaf Tenggren on the film.

The look of the village and Gepetto's Workshop in particular for the movie were inspired heavily from the town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Bavaria and is why it carries forward in the design for Fantasyland.

darthmacho
08-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the answers. They were all good, and make sense. I knew I could rely on Intercotees to solve the mystery. I suspected the Alpine theory, and was aware of the close historical ties of Italy and Germany, but I wasn't aware of the work of Gustaf Tenggren on the film.

I'm glad I asked the question, and if anyone else has anything to add, please do. Pinocchio Haus was the first place we ever had a meal in Magic Kingdom, and while the menus have changed from burgers to pizza (oh, DUH, Italian!), I still feel nostalgic about the place, especially the murals and the view of Small World from the dining room!

Tink#64
08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Wow! Great thread! I must admit I'd never really thought about it! But thanks Chris for the background info, very interesting! Pinocchio is one of my fav's & we always enjoy lunch at PVH & watching the loading of IASW! You guys are a wealth of information! :cool:

AlliMo
08-18-2011, 01:23 PM
It's the same reason Aladdin can be found in Morocco...Pinnochio is definitely Italian but theming and costs probably caused the "haus" situation...There aren't any Arabian desert countries in WS so....Morocco is the closest thing. I think it's weird but I understand why things like this happen...