PDA

View Full Version : Art of Animation

darthmacho
08-16-2011, 02:28 PM
The Disney Parks Blog has a glimpse of the rooms at the upcoming Art of Animation Resort. I'll let the mods decide if they want to add a link or not, but finding the pics on your own shouldn't be too difficult. I found them very interesting. :mickey:

If you see them, what do you think?

BrerGnat
08-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Thumbs down from me. I find them incredibly tacky and cheap looking. Looks like Ikea's children's furniture section exploded. Looks more like a daycare center than a hotel room.

darthmacho
08-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Thumbs down from me. I find them incredibly tacky and cheap looking. Looks like Ikea's children's furniture section exploded. Looks more like a daycare center than a hotel room.

Good point. I was thinking they might be a little too colorful, and I'm one that usually prefers some decorative color.

Fangorn
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I've got to agree with Natalie. While colorful (too much so?), these pictures dont appeal to me at all and the furnishings seem tacky. I'm sure there are lots of little ones that would love the decor - my granddaughter being one of them - but this old geezer would have a considerable case of sensory overload after 10 minutes in one of those rooms.

I'll stay on the other side of Hourglass lake, or better yet, POR, thank you very much.

Steve
:mickey:

Melanie
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Wow. Um, less is more certainly applies in this case. Glad we didn't have any immediate intentions of staying here.

Disney Hungarian
08-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Seeing those rooms, makes me glad I didn't have kids. And that is the nicest thing I could think of to say about it.

minnie04
08-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I guess if your 3-5 yrs. these rooms are going to be awesome, but they are a little over the top. It’s kind of like the Nick hotel. (A lot of color) I was hoping Disney would get it right and make a REAL family suite(thats affordable) were families of 5 or more would have two full bedrooms and a full kitchen. You are always going to spend money there (if they were worried about that) It would just make more sense to a family of 5 to have the room we need and not a bunch of space in the middle of the room for nothing....But that’s just me. We have out grown the All-Stars, sad to say because they were our favorite place to stay.. Oh well have fun to all the families that stay there. We have to look off property now for bigger rooms. Those double beds don’t cut it anymore and having a kitchen on a long stay is priceless.. :mickey:

biodtl
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
They are definitely a bit over the top. I don't mind in the insane color (too much), but they look kind of cheap and plastic-y. That said, I can see kids loving them and I would be willing to try them out if my kids wanted to. And let's be honest - anywhere in WDW is really OK by me.

Pirate Granny
08-16-2011, 05:36 PM
We have a reservation for one night, next June. $300 a night in the family suite...includes tax, but are they serious?????

McLiberal8
08-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Hmm, I guess I sway from the pack here, but I love them! Sure they are a bit tacky, but welcome to the world of value resorts ;)

The 9 year old in me couldn't have even dreamed up how awesome the Lion King room is! :simba:

They are themed, which is more than may be said for the other value resort rooms, which extend theming of the rooms to a poster and bedspread.

There are little touches that make it so 'Disney' (the traffic cone lamps in the Cars room!) and I am excited to stay there.

darthmacho
08-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Hmm, I guess I sway from the pack here, but I love them! Sure they are a bit tacky, but welcome to the world of value resorts ;)

The 9 year old in me couldn't have even dreamed up how awesome the Lion King room is! :simba:

They are themed, which is more than may be said for the other value resort rooms, which extend theming of the rooms to a poster and bedspread.

There are little touches that make it so 'Disney' (the traffic cone lamps in the Cars room!) and I am excited to stay there.

Glad to hear you like the rooms and will be staying there. Enjoy your stay, and give us a report.

wildernesslady
08-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't think I understand the layout. Are there 2 bedrooms? I'm not thrilled with the decor, but my grandsons would probably love the cars rooms.

Goofy4TheWorld
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm no moderator, but I have been snipped by a few of them.:thedolls:

But Official Disney links are allowed, so here:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/08/first-look-family-suites-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

After looking at the pics, I now recall why I quit Engineering School, I lack the ability to convert 2-D to 3-D and visa-versa. I can't figure out what the actual blueprint of the rooms are, but to me it looks like maybe there are in fact 2 distinct bedrooms, one Master with A Queen bed, one small bedroom with a double bed, and then in the other "half" of the room the kitchen/den area with a pull-out sofa bed.

I would really like to see a 2-D drawing of the room layouts, but if there is in fact 3 rooms (Master Bedroom, Second Bedroom, and Den/Kitchen) as well as two bathrooms (can't see but one in the pics) then I think they have done this resort better than I was expecting.

mistybroussard
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
I booked rooms today for POFQ (next Nov). Originally wanted to stay at the Art of Animation...looking at these - I know in my heart - this is the place my kids would want (5&3)....but dangit....this is MY vacation too...lol! Hope their stay at POFQ will be just as magical....am I a bad Mom if I dont switch??? Art of Animation would be cheaper than my 2 rooms at POFQ :confused:

darthmacho
08-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I booked rooms today for POFQ (next Nov). Originally wanted to stay at the Art of Animation...looking at these - I know in my heart - this is the place my kids would want (5&3)....but dangit....this is MY vacation too...lol! Hope their stay at POFQ will be just as magical....am I a bad Mom if I dont switch??? Art of Animation would be cheaper than my 2 rooms at POFQ :confused:

I say stick with POFQ, and consider Art for your next trip. :mickey:

BrerGnat
08-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm no moderator, but I have been snipped by a few of them.:thedolls:

But Official Disney links are allowed, so here:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/08/first-look-family-suites-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

After looking at the pics, I now recall why I quit Engineering School, I lack the ability to convert 2-D to 3-D and visa-versa. I can't figure out what the actual blueprint of the rooms are, but to me it looks like maybe there are in fact 2 distinct bedrooms, one Master with A Queen bed, one small bedroom with a double bed, and then in the other "half" of the room the kitchen/den area with a pull-out sofa bed.

I would really like to see a 2-D drawing of the room layouts, but if there is in fact 3 rooms (Master Bedroom, Second Bedroom, and Den/Kitchen) as well as two bathrooms (can't see but one in the pics) then I think they have done this resort better than I was expecting.

No, there are not two bedrooms and a common room. The pictures are a bit confusing. That table you see...that is a bed. It sort of flips over and becomes a double bed. Like, in the Lion King picture with the kid in the bed...that is the table by day. The other bed is the pull out couch, which I believe is also a double bed. The master bedroom with queen bed is separate from the other space, but it's not a 2 bedroom suite. So, you can't be using "living space" as such while people need to be sleeping in it, because the seating and tables double as the beds.

big blue and hairy
08-17-2011, 08:39 AM
It’s kind of like the Nick hotel.

DING DING DING! The second these were announced and the concept art came out, I said to my wife, hmmmm....apparently Nick Hotel is doing very well, Disney's going after them. I would guess this will hurt Nick...

:sulley:

Melanie
08-17-2011, 08:49 AM
It's interesting to me that all the comments on that page are positive regarding the look of the rooms. I made my comments here yesterday after looking at the pics on my phone. Now seeing them on my computer, I dislike the rooms even more.

Daisy'sMom
08-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Isn't the whole idea suppose to be animation? I think the rooms capture exactly that. You are in the art of animation. I love them!:mickey:

BrerGnat
08-17-2011, 08:58 AM
It's interesting to me that all the comments on that page are positive regarding the look of the rooms. I made my comments here yesterday after looking at the pics on my phone. Now seeing them on my computer, I dislike the rooms even more.

Well, some of the comments on the FB post by the Disney Parks blog were NOT so positive. ;)

I can't even begin to imagine the planning meeting where someone proposed that interior design, and, likely, a BUNCH of people thought they were the best options. Really? :ack:

The Cars room looks like a Dorito factory exploded...

wildernesslady
08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Natalie thanks for explaining the layout/beds. I was definitely confused by the pictures. These rooms are too over the top in their decor. It appears sunglasses will be needed even at night. I'm glad that I am the family member that plans all our trips. I do not see us staying there.

minnie04
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
@Big blue and hairy: I think Disney will have better luck with their rooms. The Nick hotel has so many bad reviews I wouldn’t stay there if it were free. I have been booked there 3 times and all three have been canceled due to reviews on line and from friends that have traveled there. It’s one thing to look good, but if the place is that bad...I’m out. I always know I will have better service at Disney, Yes there are things that go wrong, but it has always been taken care of to make my stay better.

As far as these rooms go. I would give it a try maybe once (my kids are older now) would have loved it back in the day when the rooms were $39 a night at the All-Stars, but now @ over $200 a night no thanks and your getting the same set up.... As I said in my post. If the "suites" had two seperate rooms and a full kitchen then I might pay that much a night..

brownie
08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
I was getting dizzy from just looking at the carpeting for some of the rooms in the pictures. :D The rooms definitely look like they'll be "in your face." I was really thinking about staying at Art of Animation on our next trip, but after seeing the pictures I think I'll pass. Maybe if we had young kids I might consider it. I think subtler theming in the rooms would be better.

PopPhan
08-17-2011, 01:35 PM
You all DO understand that the actual look of the rooms - brightness, contrast, etc. - will most probably be much more subdued than in the photos....The lighting in the photos is MUCH brighter than you will probably ever get in the rooms themselves.

Yes, they are a bit garish and 'over-the-top,' but isn't that the case for all the Value Resorts?

Disney Doll
08-17-2011, 02:09 PM
My first thought was wow the theming is a little much, but that thought was immediately followed by imagine how cool this would be if you were a kid and I am going to have to stay here at least once so my boys can experience it.

It's not my personal taste, but I certainly think there is a place for this at Disney and I think any kid would be happy to stay there.

AllDisney
08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks Goofy4The World:number1:

For the life of me I wasn't able to fink the link everyone was referring to.

I must say they are VERY colorful. I might stay there someday:mickey:

Lizzie
08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I am waiting to see what the pools will be like. I have to admit my girls would love the rooms but part of vacation for them is swimming every day so I want to see what the pools will look like.

Mousemates
08-18-2011, 07:15 PM
I think the rooms could be fun for a short stay of a couple of nights, but that the "crayola effect" would begin to wear on you after awhile.

wickedgin
08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I like the Little Mermaid room, but wouldn't consider staying in the others.
I think the finished product is louder than I expected. "Art of Animation" had me thinking subdued sketches--I guess I thought the emphasis was on Art, not Animation.
I'm not really fussed either way, though, since it's not likely we'd stay there (we'd probably choose adjoining Mod rooms or a Villa).

Aurora
08-19-2011, 07:35 PM
If we had needed a suite when my bigger kids were little, we might have stayed here just for them. I wouldn't choose it if I were going with my sisters. :eek:

I'm still confused by the room layout, though. I know the bed turns into a table, or vice versa, but where is that in the room? I see a large living area with sink, microwave, coffee maker, couches, so where does the table go?

mickeyman42
08-20-2011, 08:47 AM
well, that's interesting. I think I would stay here if the price was right (which I know it isn't!). I don't dislike the little mermaid or lion king rooms, nemo and cars are, ummm......not for us. however after booking a pirate room as a surprise for our 9 and 5 year old kids on our last trip, and having their immediate reaction be "meh, are you serious?" I would say that we would only stay here if we "needed" to for space reasons, but then for the price we could find larger accommodations, and a better deal elsewhere. sad to say but 2 double beds in a small room just doesn't cut it for a week anymore, need some adult space when the kids go to bed.

BrerGnat
08-20-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm still confused by the room layout, though. I know the bed turns into a table, or vice versa, but where is that in the room? I see a large living area with sink, microwave, coffee maker, couches, so where does the table go?

The tables are opposite the kitchenette, on the same wall as the couch. You just can't get it all in one shot.