PDA

View Full Version : World showcase, what's your must see in each country?

disneymomma2010
08-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I have never really been able to explore world showcase like I would like to. I'm going in october with dh and my twin 8 year sons. I will not have alot of time to visit each world so what is one thing in each country that I shouldn't miss?

Also, what is a great inexpensive souvierner from each country that I could get to put in my scrapbook?

Thanks!:mickey:

biodtl
08-16-2011, 09:19 AM
We always get pressed pennies from each country. Sin d they are flat, they would probably work pretty week in a scrapbook.

Also, your kids might like the passport. It's about $10 - it looks like a real passport and comes with stickers for each country and a pin. They take it to each country and a CM will stamp it and write something in their native language. My kids loved having their names written in different languages and alphabets.

darthmacho
08-16-2011, 09:46 AM
There is something I look forward to seeing in each pavilion, some more than others, and a few are personal, so may not apply to you necessarily, such as a certain beverage preference...;)

Canada: I don't think the movie is a "must see", but each visit I like to spend some time by the waterfall taking pictures and enjoying the "great outdoors."
UK: I think the Tea Caddy and toy store are highlights, and I like to catch the World Showcase players if I can.
France: The pastry shop and... :wine:
Morocco: I like the belly dancers, and exploring the shops, the latter if only for the shade.
Japan: The store is huge, and the koi pond is nice, but the drummers are the highlight if you can catch them.
USA: The American Adventure can't be missed, even though I missed it last trip. Not next time.
Italy: The World Showcase Players sometimes play here. Also...:wine:
Germany: The Teddy Bear and Christmas shops.
China: The Temple (you can't miss it) and our traditional picture there. Also, I have to eat something with chopsticks. :wine:
Norway: Maelstrom! Also, the traditional picture with the troll statue, as well as visiting the bakery. Going to try the schoolbread next time. I don't know what took me so long.
Mexico: The best pavilion. Can't miss the ride, love the restaurants and the shopping, but the absolute "must see" is Mariachi Cobre!!! Oh, and at least one...:marg:

DizneyFreak2002
08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
On thing in each country... hmmm....

Mexico: Hard to decide here... The outside of the pavilion is fantastic... Inside is well themed... The ride is corny but very fun and enjoyable... i'd say inside the pavilion, hop on the ride, take in the views inside the pavilion...

Norway: Miss the movie... what ever you do, please, skip that movie LOL... Ride Maelstrom... The wait is never really too bad and the line does move somewhat quick... and as macho said, grab a cake in the bakery.. hmmm YUM!!!

China: You can probably skip the movie, even though I admit, I enjoyed it... Check out the temple and the garden area...

Germany: Not to much to do here so you shouldn't take up a lot of time... Walk through the shops... If you like German food, eat at Biergarten... There is a bavarian entertainment show every half hour I believe... Very fun...

Italy: No ride here, like German... There is architecture to see, and again, check out the shops... There is a gondola in the water by World Showcase Lagoon... Check it out... You shouldn't spend much time here either...

American Aventure: Check out the attraction... MUST SEE... Excellent attraction and always a must do for me... You can check out the waiting lobby and get to hear Voices of Liberty perform... They are excellent...

Japan: Great scenary here... The store is pretty cool to walk through... The Torii Gates are in the Lagoon and makes for a great picture, with Spaceship Earth in the background...

Morocco: I honestly never spent any amount of time here until a few years ago... And only because I was on a quest to take a picture with a female CM from each country LOL... morocco is actually a very nice pavilion... Stroll through, look at though shops...

France: Never stayed long enough to see the movie so I cannot comment on it... Actually, other than eating at Les Chefs, I haven't spent much time in France... Nice looking area though...

United Kingdon: The whole area is fantastic, in my opinion... I walked through is a few times during my last trip... I like the detail... No attraction, and another country you won't need to spend much time in... Check out the shops, especially the tea shop... Buy some English tea!!!!

Canada: What a wonderful pavilion!!! I agree with Macho the movie isn't a must see, but do take some time to explore the country... The Victoria Gardens is a wonderful spot to grab some scenic pictures... Beautiful...

wickedgin
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Your children can make masks at the Kidcot stops for free--we got our masks (cardboard cut-out on a paint-stirring stick) in Norway or Mexico, and then at each country, you can add paper cut-outs representing each country e.g. a teddy bear from Germany. Disassembled, I think they'd be cute in a scrapbook.

Tygger7
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
As far as souvenir ideas, I love the candy. Buy a chocolate or candy from each country. Last May, my DH & I did a World Showcase shopping excursion to find inexpensive, unique souvenirs for our 8-year old niece. We were able to find items under $15 at every country, and even with walking at a leisurely pace, it took less than a 1/2 day (4 hours). We got her an inexpensive necklace in Italy, a HUGE Gummy Bear from Germany, a small purse from Mexico, copies of the Declaration of Independence & Constitution from the USA, just to name a few.

disneymomma2010
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Also, your kids might like the passport. It's about $10 - it looks like a real passport and comes with stickers for each country and a pin. They take it to each country and a CM will stamp it and write something in their native language. My kids loved having their names written in different languages and alphabets.

I love this idea! I haven't heard of these. I might get one for myself too! Does just any cm sign them or do I need to take it to a certain place?

disneymomma2010
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Your children can make masks at the Kidcot stops for free--we got our masks (cardboard cut-out on a paint-stirring stick) in Norway or Mexico, and then at each country, you can add paper cut-outs representing each country e.g. a teddy bear from Germany. Disassembled, I think they'd be cute in a scrapbook.

They would really like this. :thumbsup:

disneymomma2010
08-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow guys, thanks for all the details! Im gonna write down my favorite ideas. Keep them coming!:write:

biodtl
08-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I love this idea! I haven't heard of these. I might get one for myself too! Does just any cm sign them or do I need to take it to a certain place?
There are specific CMs that do this, but we never had a problem finding them. And other CMs can show you where to go. My kids LOVE them.

snowflakegirl
08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Mexico - I love the theming of this pavilion, so I spend some time browsing the little "market" of shops inside. The ride is kitchy, but cute. I'd say go through the ride and take in a bit of the ambiance.

Norway - I second the recommendation to skip the film, but ride Maelstrom! I love this ride. This last trip I tried the school bread (and one of the cakes) from the bakery here. It's my new Norway must-do for future trips.

China - I usually walk through the temple and the garden area and a quick stroll through the shop.

Germany - Is not one of my favorite pavilions. I don't spend a lot of time there. Although, this past trip I went back a lot to try different reisling wines. Other than the wine, I'll be honest I haven't even really spent more than moments browsing the shops.

Italy - Again, I don't spend a lot of time here, but I like to wander the pavilion and take a few pictures. There's a fountain that I seem to take a picture of every trip. Again, a quick momentary browse through the shops is all I've ever done here.

Japan - I enjoy the theming of Japan's pavilion. The Koi pond is fun. The shop is huge and definitely worth browsing. There's also a small gallery tucked in the back of the pavilion that has rotating exhibits. I'm not certain what is there now. When I was there last summer they had an exhibit called Spirited Beasts that looked at how Japanese myths inspired Anime.

Morocco - This is quite possibly one of my favorite pavilions. I always spend a good deal of time here wandering through the shops and just appreciating the architecture. That (and trying to catch Mo'Rockin the band that plays there) are about the only things to do in this pavilion so if they don't strike your (or your kids) fancy, you should be able to do this pavilion quickly. Jasmine and Aladdin and the Genie are often found here.

France - I love the pastry shop here. I highly recommend trying one of the Napoleons. I don't ususually spend a great deal of time in France. I do a quick wander through the shops and then head to the UK.

UK - I love the TeaCaddy shop and the selection of UK candies/chocolates that are available here.

Canada - I don't spend a lot of time in Canada, either. A quick wander through the stores and then I stop to take some pictures by the waterfall in the back.

I'm realizing that I'm saying I don't spend a lot of time in these places...And yet I spent more time in the World Showcase my last trip than most anywhere else, I think. We ended up going back there on multiple evenings after we had done other things.

Altair
08-16-2011, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=snowflakegirl;2199711Norway - I second the recommendation to skip the film, [/QUOTE]

It's only a six minute movie, no need to see every ride, but it's not that bad.:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
There are two rides in WS-Maelstrom in Norway and Gran Fiesta in Mexico.

The restaurants in WS are among the best in Disney World parks, so I would recommend eating lunch or dinner here. (Biergarten is fun, Canada has wonderful steaks and Via Napoli's pizza in Italy is getting rave reviews)

I love the unique gift shops in the World Showcase and you can buy souveniers outside of the standard touristy WDW stuff. Some of my favorite stores are the UK tea store, Italy's chocolate selection is awesome, Morocco is exotic and different, Mexico has cute little figurines and walking sticks, China and Japan's stores are huge and I've heard the new caramel shop in Germany is quite good. I must get a pastry from France and I love the trolls in the Norway pavillion.

Daisy'sMom
08-17-2011, 08:48 AM
France-we never miss the movie
Morocco-walking slowly to listen to the "family" in the apartment upstairs
American Adventure-we never miss
Japan-the drummers
Germany-the teddy bears
Norway-SchoolBread(I grew up on that and it brings back memories of Gramma)

These are the things we do each time!:mickey:

MarkC
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Agree on the passports. First time we took my two young sons we were worried they wouldn't like it but my wife and I really wanted to see it. We got them passports and they really enjoyed getting them "stamped" in every country and doing the activities.

As for you.......
Churros in Mexico
Almond pretzels in Norway
Biergarten in Germany-- even your boys will love that
Chocolate cake in France, or really about any pastry
I do like the 360 degree movies in China and Canada as well
Off Kilter in Canada is one of my favorites

texas211
08-18-2011, 12:45 AM
US- A must, else skip the WS. Have to go the pavilion and check out the American Adventure, the colonial feel and sound of the singers.

Germany- My fav dessert store. The chocolate and caramel on various items is outstanding. Best dessert option in the WS in my opinion.

lynnek
08-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I have a kind of Amazing Race(not really a race) that I put together for the kids to tour the countries. It gave us little things to look for and they had an envelope to open for each country.There is so much there, I was afraid I'd miss something. Also, I included some challenges they got to do and included money in the envelopes for them to do it--like find a pearl in Japan, get a henna tattoo in Morocco, have a smoothie in Italy in front of the sign that means cheers, etc. PM me if you'd like a copy--I spent a lot of time putting it together and researching stuff and would love to pass it on for others to use:) My kids want to do it again this year when we go.

darthmacho
08-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Morocco: I honestly never spent any amount of time here until a few years ago... And only because I was on a quest to take a picture with a female CM from each country LOL...

Nice! Did you get it done? I tried this, until my wife figured it out and put a stop to it. I still have pictures with all the Princesses though... :blush:

bertasso59
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
My favorite in the film in France,the photography the fantastic music and you actually get to set down for this one!A great way to relax and unwind