PDA

View Full Version : Tips for entertaining a toddler in line?

Kairi_7378
08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Does anyone have some tips for entertaining a 3 year old in ride lines? My husband and I used to play Disney trivia games or read to each other from the Imagineer's Guides but that's not going to work this time!
:balloon:

kakn7294
08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Some things we've done in the past: small coloring books (just make sure it's kept cool so crayons don't melt!), puzzle / maze games where pieces don't come out, books, snacks. In the days of modern technology, a cheap MP3 player for tunes but one with video would be even better (hubby's was $30 at Walmart) or one of those little kid players that have movies on cards. Also, a cheap digital camera that your toddler can take his or her own pictures - they will be hilarious and a great memory of your trip.

WDWForever
08-15-2011, 11:44 PM
We use kid apps on our phones.

ANG
08-16-2011, 06:40 AM
We use kid apps on our phones.

Ditto that! Snacks are always good, but don't let them eat too much depending on the ride they are going on. My son loves stickers (he's almost 3) and that keeps him busy for awhile.

BrerGnat
08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Ipod touch. Load it with a bunch of kid/toddler apps and break it out when needed.

CousinLouie
08-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Go low tech.

Buy a couple of bottles of bubbles.

When you're waiting in line, pull them out, blow a few bubbles, and watch the reaction of not only your little one, but every other pint-sized fan in line!

:thumbsup:

iceicebritney
08-16-2011, 01:52 PM
We use Disney movies on our Sony PsP because it's easy to carry around in the parks. The used PSP system and movies are very affordable now that Sony is coming out with a new system soon.:thumbsup:

Also, on days where we have a book bag we use our iPad for angry birds. My nephew gets a kick out of angry birds rio.

The iPod touch and iPhone also work.

A non technology related option is our hidden Mickey book. It's our go to. Some of them can be difficult for toddlers, especially if you haven't found them yet yourself. We do the ones we've found ourselves previously so that we can give them hints and play the "hot" "cold" game:mickey:

BigRedDad
08-16-2011, 05:24 PM
First, avoid any line that is more than 15 minutes. You will regret it. Have a park map with you. You can play games like I Spy, or search for hidden Mickey's. Bring snacks to pass the time a little.

lizzi6692
08-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Go low tech.

Buy a couple of bottles of bubbles.

When you're waiting in line, pull them out, blow a few bubbles, and watch the reaction of not only your little one, but every other pint-sized fan in line!

:thumbsup:
I'm not sure that's the best idea since there are other people in line, most of whom won't appreciate being sticky from all of the bubbles.

indytraveler
08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow, we were definitely low tech with our kids. How did we ever survive without ipads, smartphones and the like?

We played name games, I spy, which Character do you want to meet today? Pretty much anything to get your child thinking they are not standing in line. Even simple games like which color shoes are the most popular. Which color shirt, etc. Just be creative and let your 3 yr. old use their imagination.

Then when all else fails.... Let them play video games. Then take a break.

BrerGnat
08-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah, bubbles are NOT a good idea in lines. I actually can't stand bubbles, and hate when my kids want to play with them. They make such a mess! Save those for open areas if you want to give your little one something to chase after. But, put them away in lines.

VWL Mom
08-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Wow, we were definitely low tech with our kids. How did we ever survive without ipads, smartphones and the like?

We played name games, I spy, which Character do you want to meet today? Pretty much anything to get your child thinking they are not standing in line. Even simple games like which color shoes are the most popular. Which color shirt, etc. Just be creative and let your 3 yr. old use their imagination.

:shrug: I was wondering the same thing...

We did (and still do) some things you mentioned. I also picked up extra maps and let them plan their next route. Even refolding the map takes time when your 3.

Have some small snacks in your bag and use line time as snack time. Then when the ride is done your ready to move on without hearing "I'm hungry".

IMO line time is a great time to talk and listen.

Joannelet
08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
We were just there in May with my 2.5 year old and I didn't have anything in line with us. He loved looking around the area. In It's a Small world we threw in a coin and made a wish while waiting. He just had a good time doing nothing but waiting for the ride and people watching around him. If he got antsy we would pick him up for a bit and point things out to him. He loved the lines and I didn't have to bring anything with us but my camera. Got a lot of good pics while waiting in line as well :)

teambricker04
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
We have a rule that we don't wait in really long lines. If the wait time is over a half hour, forget it. We usually talk, play ispy, and tell them to stop stepping on people.

If all else fails... we hand over our phones.

I agree... skip the bubbles. Such a mess and then all the kids chase them and run away. Okay, maybe not all kids, but mine still do.

MrPeetrie
08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, bubbles are NOT a good idea in lines. I actually can't stand bubbles, and hate when my kids want to play with them. They make such a mess!

Yeah, i have to second this one. Kids may enjoy them, but I don't think I'd be too happy being sprayed with bubble juice in a queue line...especially from someone I didn't know.

lynnek
08-19-2011, 10:36 PM
I always carry 4-5 crayons in a baggy and a pad of paper. We take turns drawing characters with her and turn it into a guessing game. We also have disposable cameras for the kids--some of the best came from the little one--some of the worst as well, but a view from a stroller is kind of neat:) Also, it seems everywhere we turned, they were giving out stickers--just kept them to give her while in line.

Mammabruski
08-19-2011, 10:45 PM
We have a rule that we don't wait in really long lines. If the wait time is over a half hour, forget it

I totally second this! I've been with my oldest DD when she was 7 mo, 22mo, 2.5yrs, and 4 yrs and my youngest DD joined us for the last trip when she was 19 mo. With a good plan, fast pass and realistic expectations, you can avoid long lines. The themed queues themselves and the people watching will keep your little one occupied!

Keep in mind we've been at some busy times, and it is possible to do a lot of fun things and rides while taking it easy and not spending much time in line.

Good luck!

TexasPrincessAurora
08-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I always kept little snacks in our bag when DS was little. Also little hand held toys/games, like a pocket sized etch a sketch, or a little spiral and a few crayons.

kakn7294
08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
I know a lot of people do but NO WAY I'm handing over my $300 iPhone to a toddler while standing somewhere it can be dropped and lost or broken. :D

Buttercup
08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
I was feeling crafty one year, and this worked out GREAT. We were on a trip with my sisters and all their kids - we had 6 children between us, all under the age of 3.

I took cheap little 4x6 photo albums and filled them with different home-made, Disney-themed games! Super easy stuff for toddlers: like a column with princess pictures found on the web, and a column with their corresponding wicked witch or prince or dwarf or whatever. They have to point to the princess and then the matching picture (example, Belle & The Beast, Snow White and Dopey, etc.)

I also did pages like "where's Waldo" where I just crammed a whole bunch of Disney characters on a page or two, and we'd stand in line and I'd say "Find Goofy" and they'd have to scan the pages looking for him.

I did a whole bunch of silly little games like that in the book - I just made each page on my computer using Disney cartoon pictures I found online and then printed the pages out in 4x6 size and slipped them into the pages of the photo album.

That was when I had more time on my hands, of course! :D:mickey: But they worked great and I still bring the books along now that the kids are older and they still enjoy them!

magicalmom
08-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Nobody's mentioned hidden Mickey's - my kids thought searching was great.

kemps@wdw
08-29-2011, 11:35 PM
a disposable camera is a fun(and relatively safe) way to let them make their own memories. Then let them scrapbook their pics, if their into that sort of thing. I found that our DD had a lot different view of how that should be than I did. We would let her use the camcorder to record and talk to us and the characters and video her fave things in the parks. Saw lots of trees, sky, ground,and alot of blur. But heard her sweet voice and saw her beautiful face when she would turn the camcorder on herself. And watching her video skills at that age is very funny :

sixshot19
08-29-2011, 11:47 PM
I phone, ant smasher app.