PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Room will be officially back online tomorrow!

Plex
08-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Just left the World - On our way out we passed by the TIki Room which was open doing a sneak preview before the grand re-re-opening tomorrow!

The News: According to the Cast Member that we spoke to manning the gate, it has been changed back to the pre-"Under New Management" show - no more Iago.

Sadly, we didn't have time to catch the show because we had to catch our flight. And now we're sitting in MCO watching our flight get delayed. Definitely a bummer :(

LudwigVonDrake
08-14-2011, 05:27 PM
It looks great from the photos I've seen. The Tiki Room is back to the way it should be! :clappy:

faline
08-14-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it on our next trip! The last time I saw the original version, I was in California!

Melanie
08-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Correct. Iago and Zazu are gone, but from what I've seen, the show is tweaked just a bit from the original.

Plan on heading over sometime this week to see it! :thumbsup:

CAS
08-14-2011, 06:08 PM
To those there on Mon we will need video!

I passed by it yesterday on our way to the airport totally bumbed because it opens on my birthday and I'm back home. They had just taken the shrouds away and I could smell the fresh paint drying.

texas211
08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
One of my fav things at WDW is back. Too bad i missed it on my June trip. I'll have to book another one before long. Hmm, off to travelocity :)

EeyoresBestFriend
08-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!!

I've never been a fan of the re-do. It might not have been so bad if Iago and Zazu were of the correct propotions to a real bird. . . . or the music wasn't so bad . . . .or if it wasn't like a bad comedy routine . . . Oh, wait . . .that would be back to ORIGINAL version!! :D

:woohoo: :joy: :woohoo: :joy: :woohoo: :joy;

Disney Hungarian
08-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I've never been a fan of the re-do. It might not have been so bad if Iago and Zazu were of the correct propotions to a real bird. . . . or the music wasn't so bad . . . .or if it wasn't like a bad comedy routine . . . Oh, wait . . .that would be back to ORIGINAL version!! :D

:woohoo: :joy: :woohoo: :joy: :woohoo: :joy;
:exactly:

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-14-2011, 09:47 PM
SWEET!!!:clappy: :yay:

We leave for WDW in a couple days!!:woohoo:

January-2007
08-14-2011, 09:51 PM
We're so happy for this!!

Jeff
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Just saw the original in California.
I did miss the Tiki god in the middle/podium.
i did not miss Iago or Zazu!!!!

Any chance they will keep the Tiki godess?????

gottaluvtink
08-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Very excited! Can't wait to see it in September!

Mufasa
08-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Just saw the original in California.
I did miss the Tiki god in the middle/podium.
i did not miss Iago or Zazu!!!!

Any chance they will keep the Tiki godess?????

The Tiki Goddess Uh-Oa is gone from the new show (also, the Enchanted Tiki Fountain unfortunately does not return in the new show either)

So the "new/restored" WDW version is roughly 2 minutes shorter than DL's which itself was altered from the original from 1963 with the removal of the "Barcarolle" number from Offenbach's "Tales of Hoffmann" and the last verse of "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing"- also the pre-shows are different between the two coasts (still love DL's pre-show with the Tiki Gods/Goddess introduction and Dole sponsor film that really set the mood for the show)

However, look carefully and you will see some little plusses to the attraction here and there as well as upgrades/restoration to the entire show so the Tiki Birds look and sound better than ever.

indytraveler
08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
good to hear. I wasn't a fan of the "under new Mgt" version. But I can't wait to see the "original" version again.

darthmacho
08-15-2011, 03:35 PM
I liked the new version actually, but I had never seen the old version. I'm looking forward to seeing the update next year! I have to confess, however, that I thought Iago was funny, and that the "Friend Like Me" song was catchy. Oh well. :mickey:

Bay Lake
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I too like the the Under New Mngmt version, but cant wait to see the New/Old version in March

Gator
08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Can't wait to hear the kids say, "Hey, this isn't right! Where's the Aladin bird? He was funny. These new birds are boring."

And they'll be right. I remember the first time I saw this show - on my honeymoon. My wife talked me into doing it, even though I told her it was boring. And I was very surprised to be entertained and even laugh out loud at "Monkey-tuna-tostada". I'll miss it. I guess I'll be tempted to go on the new/old version....if I ever return in the summer and want to hit a place that's air conditioned, has chairs, and undoubtedly the smallest line at MK.

Pop Centurion
08-15-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it since I've never seen the original (in person)

I didn't dislike UNM but it wasn't a must do. I usually skipped a year between doing it.

BugeyedMuggy
08-16-2011, 09:42 AM
We leave in 9 days and can't wait to see it. We never got a chance to see the old version either so it will be good to see what all the hype is.

big blue and hairy
08-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, DW and I will have to check out the new/old version, but I must say, this version literally put me to sleep more than once. :bored:

:sulley:

Mousemates
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Mrs Mousemates will be delighted to know that the "annoying birds" are gone.

TikiGoddess
08-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Does this mean I have to change my name here on Intercot?? :D

I will miss the Tiki Goddess but am SO glad that the original show is back (minus Offenbach). That is the show I fell in love with as a kid. Now I can share it with my girls. They never liked the 'new' show because it was so loud and crazy.

Can't wait to hear those Tiki gods singing and see the 'rain' falling outside the windows...

Hmm, maybe I'll talk hubby into staying at the Polynesian next trip so we can do the complete Tiki-themed trip... ;)

Kathy

WDWCrazyKaren
08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Yay! DH has never seen the old version, so I look forward to showing it to him. Now if they would only do the same to Imagination.....

exvagirl
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Just got back yesterday and got to see the "new" version :) I had only ever known the new management version, so it was a nice change...DM told me its pretty much how she remembers it from when she was little!

beksy
08-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it since I've never seen the original (in person)

I didn't dislike UNM but it wasn't a must do. I usually skipped a year between doing it.

I'm the same way. I grew up hearing the tiki room song and was always disappointed when Iago interrupted it.

DisneyDINK
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I too will miss the UNM. I'll be curious to see what they've done with the preshow; is it back to the original too?

DisneyorBust
08-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I am looking forward to seing the Tiki Room in it's old/new format. The UNM format was ok, I enjoyed it and I want to se if I remember any of the old show from my early trips to the World.

Patricia
08-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Yay! Now if they would only do the same to Imagination.....

I was thinking the very same thing.

JasonH
08-20-2011, 01:25 PM
I will miss the UNM version, but I am happier they are bringing back the original. It also gives me a chance to show my 2 nieces a piece of WDW history come back to life. Something else I was thinking about why they are changing it back to the original/new show, with the fire kind of being a blessing in disguise, is how much longer would they be willing to pay the royalties for having to use Gilbert Gottfried (Iago), Michael Gough (Zazu), Don Rickles (William), Jerry Orbach (the newer Fritz voice) and Phil Hartman's (Morris) voices. So money could also be a factor here as well. Cheaper to go back to the original show with a few tweeks than to pay voice royalties for big name stars, 2 of which are no longer with us.

mom2Z&A
08-21-2011, 07:16 PM
AWESOME! Just saw the original at Disneyland last month! Glad they didn't change it there...

So glad to read that they've ditched the "New Management" at WDW. :thumbsup:

Silvertip309
08-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I thought Rowan Atkinson was the voice of Zazu. No worries!

wdwaggie
08-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Looking forward to seeing this in our up-coming trip in Sept!!

Ian
08-22-2011, 10:40 AM
We are sooooooooooo looking forward to seeing this in November!!!

I couldn't stand the UNM version ... totally obnoxious and tacky IMO, but the old version is a classic. When I saw it in DL it almost made me weep openly at the travesty the WDW version had become.

Thank goodness sanity has been restored on the East Coast. ;)

Hammer
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
So, is the pre-show still the one using the late Phil Hartman? As it is the only reference to him at WDW and was done just before he was murdered, I hope it is still there. I'm fine with changing the show itself back, though,if they changed any of Jerry Orbach's contributions, who did they use as a substitute, since he has also passed away?

Mufasa
08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
The pre-show returns to the original for Tropical Serenade featuring Claude (voiced by Sebastian Cabot) and Clyde (Dal McKennon)

Sebastian Cabot performed voices for many Disney films- notably as Bagheera in Jungle Book and as the narrator for Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day and Hunny Tree.

Dal McKennon will sound familiar from voice work in the parks on Big Thunder Mountain's safety spiel and as Zeke in the Country Bear Jamboree.

The voices for the host macaws in the main show are Jose (Wally Boag), Michael (Fulton Burley), Pierre (Ernie Newton) and Fritz (Thurl Ravenscroft)

Hammer
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
The pre-show returns to the original for Tropical Serenade featuring Claude (voiced by Sebastian Cabot) and Clyde (Dal McKennon)

Sebastian Cabot performed voices for many Disney films- notably as Bagheera in Jungle Book and as the narrator for Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day and Hunny Tree.

Dal McKennon will sound familiar from voice work in the parks on Big Thunder Mountain's safety spiel and as Zeke in the Country Bear Jamboree.

The voices for the host macaws in the main show are Jose (Wally Boag), Michael (Fulton Burley), Pierre (Ernie Newton) and Fritz (Thurl Ravenscroft)

Boo!!! I'll miss Phil Hartman...at least for Jerry Orbach, I still have Philarmagic.