PDA

View Full Version : What was your child's first ride at WDW?

Kairi_7378
08-14-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm going to WDW in September... my first visit as a parent! I thought that I'd ask all of the other parents out here what their children's first rides were at WDW, and why did you pick it? Was it something that you had planned, or were you just close to a particular ride at the beginning of your first day?

WDWgoofy
08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Dumbo, of course!

deedeebee
08-14-2011, 09:40 AM
It's a small world, it was the first ride I rode on with my Grandma:mickey: There were tears.;)

DunkieKong
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
My sons first ride at Disney World was The Jungle Cruise. He was 7 months old. We were heading to do Pirates first, but the line for Jungle Cruise was unusually short, so we stopped there first. His second ride was Pirates, and he loved that too. I guess the "Disney" was just bred into him.

BigRedDad
08-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Disney's Magical Express...

Kilimanjaro Safari - we arrived and checked into Pop at about noon. Since it was going to be an early day, we went to AK. She was only 2, so that was the best start.

darthmacho
08-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Good question!

Both daughters rode DUMBO for their very first ride, and for different reasons. My DD1, was only 2yo when we first took her to WDW in 2003, so we were very limited in the amount of rides she could go on. We chose Dumbo because it was a classic, an icon of the park, and I knew the lines would get long quickly, so as soon as we were done with our Crystal Palace breakfast, we went right over there. We talked about it a lot afterwards, so it really stuck in DD1's mind, which leads to...

In 2010, for our return trip to WDW. As I was making out our itinerary, I asked the girls now 9yo and 6yo, whether they wanted to go on Space Mountain or Splash Mountain for their first ride. Well, they huddled up, whispered a bit, and they both, resoundingly answered, "DUMBO!" I was surprised, but I realized that I had so heavily emphasized her first ride on Dumbo that DD1 could not wait to ride it again with DD2 as her first ride.

Meanwhile, we're hoping to go to WDW again next year, so I figured my DDs were going to be older now, and I asked them the same question, "Space or Splash Mountain?" Guess what we're going to start...you guessed it: DUMBO! :dumbo:

Sorry I was so long winded, but I thought it was a cute story...:blush:

ElenitaB
08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
He was five and it was Dumbo :dumbo: ... and now, you're making me cry (I'm such a sentimental sap).

MrPeetrie
08-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Triceratops Spins.

We checked in around noon at POR and headed straight to the Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. My DD (then 17 mos.) was frightened by the animatronics. (We couldn't finish our meal.) We weren't sure what she'd enjoy after that. We walked around AK. She seemed to really like the atmosphere. When we came to Triceratops Spins, my wife asked if we should take her on. She loved it!!! Uppy down. Uppy down. It became the uppy-down ride. Then Dumbo became the uppy-down ride the next day. She ended up enjoying most every ride, even the Haunted Mansion. Loud attractions (like Lights, Motors, Action and fireworks) bothered her, though. Still do.

Today she is 8 and a Walt Disney World lover!!! We are taking our son this October on his first trip. Can't wait. Spaceship Earth will probably be his first ride. Or Living Seas with Nemo &Friends.

disney obsessed
08-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Dumbo:mickey:

mreinventtt
08-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Great movie ride

Daisy'sMom
08-14-2011, 01:32 PM
For each one of them, it was Dumbo. My grandson rode Dumbo also, just a few months ago. It brought back so many tears and memories for me. Where did the time go? Cherish each and every moment of your child's life. :mickey:

mousetrapper
08-14-2011, 01:33 PM
It's a Small World! :blush:

I know many people don't like this ride, but for us it sets the tone for WDW -- it's so "Disney." When we took our first family trip to WDW in 1999, our DDs were 8 and 5 years old. IASW is still the first ride we ride every trip, and we don't even force the kids to ride! They wouldn't have it any other way.

Goofy Forever
08-14-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't remember what my son's first ride at WDW was. However, later that same afternoon, my son (8 mos at the time) fell asleep on the TTA. We rode that ride for 45 min straight until he woke up.

It was heaven!!!!

AllDisney
08-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Dumbo. Daughter was 3 1/2.

VWL Mom
08-14-2011, 03:36 PM
WDW Railroad

texas211
08-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Monorail if that counts.

Kairi_7378
08-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Good question!
Sorry I was so long winded, but I thought it was a cute story...:blush:

It was a cute story! Thank you for sharing it! We are going to be there on DS's 3rd birthday and I know that Dumbo will be the first ride that day! :dumbo:

WDWForever
08-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Disney's Magical Express...

Ditto.

Carousel since it was the first thing my girls saw in Fantasyland. That and Small World have been their favorites.

RavsRuleDisney!
08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
hmmm....will have to verify with the dw on this but probably dumbo or the caroussel in fantasyland

Bay Lake
08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
The first ride I took my son on was the Train. He was a big fan of trains and for him to see a live steam engine up close was a big thrill for both of us.

:train:

diz_girl
08-15-2011, 01:36 PM
It was POTC for my then 17 month old DS. He didn't like it. He tried to grab Davy Jones's face, but couldn't, so he cried. Then there was that short drop in the dark, which scared him, so he cried. DH accused me of being a bad parent for bringing him on the ride.

I plan to take him on it again this November. He's now 4. Hopefuly, he won't cry. We'll bring our other DS (now 7 mo - but will be 10 mo at time of trip) on the ride too. Hopefully, he'll be too young to get scared.

finaldynasty
08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
My DS and DD's first ride was the Jungle Cruise. It was my DW and my first ride, so we wanted it to be their first ride. They were 1 and 3 years old at the time.

My youngest who is 4 rode TGMR at the Studios first at 16 months.

Love the question!!

:mickey:

biodtl
08-15-2011, 02:17 PM
My kids were 2 and 9 and it was Pirates. We would have gone straight for Dumbo (since that was mine), but it was mid-day and I knew the lines would already be crazy. Since I didn't want my kids to start their WDW experience with a long, boring line, we headed to Pirates - it was a good choice for the quick line and it appealed to everyone in our party.

Scott C
08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Ironically Horizons back in '97 they were 5 and 7

Thanks
Scott C

bertasso59
08-15-2011, 10:07 PM
My DD's first was the Mad Tea Party teacup ride. After she got off Tweedle Dee and Dum were there to greet us and take a photo with us(while Dum attempted to commondere my hat)

ANG
08-16-2011, 06:42 AM
The Living Seas with Nemo at Epcot!

He loved it at 5 months old, and then at 1.5.

Silver_Surfer
08-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Test track!:thumbsup:

Mammabruski
08-16-2011, 11:02 AM
My eldest DD's first ride was Aladdin's Flying Carpets at MNSSHP in 2007, she was 8 months old. My youngest DD's ride was the Jungle Cruise, which was this last March when she was 19 months old... What great memories!

TinkerbellsMom
08-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Soarin'. DD was 4 and we quickly learned she was afraid of heights :(. 6 years and 8 trips later, it's one of her favorite rides. ;)

Kathy Jetson
08-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Well the VERY first ride was the tram and then the ferry boat then Pirates!

disneykid@hrt
08-17-2011, 01:04 AM
PIRATES!!! And she loves pirates now! Haha! We have a picture of us waiting in line that is on her peg board of "firsts"... :mickey:

indytraveler
08-17-2011, 08:12 AM
1998 kids were 5 & 3 so naturally we went on Alien Encounter....

No actually we went on Jungle Cruise 1st then POTC. We started in Adventureland and made our way around the Park. To this day when we go we head to Adventureland and ride either one 1st depending on the wait or if Jungle Cruise is open yet.

BAMABOY
08-17-2011, 11:33 AM
My boys were 4 and 5 on their first trip and on day one we went to EPCOT. My youngest asked "What's that big golf ball do?" So, their first ride was that big golf ball, I mean Space Ship Earth. :mickey:

RBrooksC
08-17-2011, 12:31 PM
When we went with our son back in 2007 when he was 19 months, the first ride we rode was Dumbo.

With my daughter, whose first time was in May at almost 2 and 1/2, we went on the Haunted Mansion first because that is what my, now five year old, son wanted to ride first.

Joannelet
08-17-2011, 01:44 PM
My son was there at 7 months old and his first ride was It's a Small World :)
His first meeting with a character was my favorite- Minnie Mouse!! He's been hooked ever since! :)

disneykidsince1970
08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I wanted it to be Dumbo but for some reason... we didn't go straight, we went left. It was evening (we had arrived and I told my husband we were GOING to MK and he needed to put on a smile and get excited! :blush:)

Anyhoo - I think we arrived just before a parade and so, we went left...not sure what we would do - maybe we were heading to PotC (DD was 4 and DS was 3) and... we hit Aladdin and the carpets.

The line wasn't long and we had already walked awhile, it was hot, everyone was a bit hungry (my first trip with toddlers and afterwawrds, I was very disappointed in my planning for that week as neglected to plan for DH much...but I digress...)...so, we jumped on.

I remember thinking, "****! THIS is their first ride!?!?" BAD decision to go at night just because my own excitement couldn't wait.

No matter though...they loved it. and they loved the whole trip.

DUMBO remains the most prominent attraction in their minds tho. Every day..... :)

Great thread!

teambricker04
08-17-2011, 03:51 PM
DOLE WHIP!

Wait... not a ride.

Hmmm. I am not really sure. I know we took DS#1 to DL before WDW. I am thinking it was IASW or maybe the Casey Jones Train.

We usually walk through Adventureland first at MK, so I think the first thing with #2 we probably did (after the dole whip) was the Tiki Room or Pirates.

How can I not remember?

DS#2 doesn't remember going to WDW... we leave tomorrow and he's 4 so this will be his first memory of it!:mickey:

desilu78
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
We just went this past July and the first park my 5 yo son went to was Epcot. So we did Spaceship Earth. At first he did not want to go on the ride, but after I said it was not scary he was ok.

We are going back end of Sept. Cannot wait. Especially since my bf could not go with us in July. 40 days to go!! :mickey:

tinkerbell1981
08-18-2011, 01:23 PM
My daughter was 2 1/2 when we first took her to WDW. We were at DHS and it was dark, my daughter was tall enough to ride Tower of Terror. She did great scared but did not cry or scream.

MongoMil
08-19-2011, 07:49 AM
My sons first ride was Tower of Terror at about 8:30 at night. Probably was not the best choice but thats what it was.

Georgesgirl1
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Dumbo and the It's a Small World. I am really bummed that Dumbo will probably be closed for YDS's first trip :(

finaldynasty
08-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Just thinking about our traditional first ride when we return to WDW...What is the first ride you ride when you return home!

whitney37354
08-24-2011, 03:26 PM
The carousel! We just rode things as we came to them the first night in MK. I thought it was funny that she's ridden carousels at different places & we come to WDW to ride one before any other ride.

cuteduck223
08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
DD's first ride was the train around the park. We arrived about 45 minutes before haircut time (first haircut) and hopped on the train. DD turned 2 on the trip, and we rode the train probably 5 times that week.

barnaby
08-24-2011, 09:51 PM
WDW Railroad

Jessie
08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm going to WDW in September... my first visit as a parent! I thought that I'd ask all of the other parents out here what their children's first rides were at WDW, and why did you pick it? Was it something that you had planned, or were you just close to a particular ride at the beginning of your first day?

Wow we're in the same boat! We're going this September and it's my first trip as a parent and the first for my kids. It'll be a birthday trip for my oldest daughter (turning 6). Thanks for starting this thread!

disneykidsince1970
08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
MY 6 yr old had been a few times as an infant but other than for her baby book, i don't really count that.

When I finally brought my kids to appreciate it, they were 2 and 4. I really wish I had given it more thought.

I let my own excitement get the best of me and we ran right over to MK on the night we arrived without any real plan...and we ended up doing the Aladdin Carpets (not sure of actual name). :bang: and..., while they loved it (just like Dumbo!), it wouldn't have been my first choice if I had thought about it.

The thing that really did it for them was the castle - seeing it at night in lights. COOL.

If I had to do it again:

NIGHT arrival - Main St glimpse followed by the railroad (they were tired anyway!), get off at Frontier Land, walk to Fantasy Land, IASM or Carousel or Dumbo. Finish night by walking back up main street, stop at ice cream parlor on the way out. Key: low-key day - don't plan too much - enjoy the time as they walk around and wonder!

DAY arrival - Early arrival, leisurely walk up Main streeet, thru the castle, carousel, dumbo, (more depending on heat!), tea cups, and then...it all depends on how they are holding up in the heat and the crowds, etc. Don't be afraid to go back and do some pool time! :)

ENJOY!

crltkcagle
08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Their first ride was It's a Small world! Not by choice just happened that way.

Janmac
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Of all the kids we've taken to Disney, the only one I recall is my sister's granddaughter, who is still wary around noise or darkness at 7. For her first 3 trips to WDW (ages 2, 4 and 5 1/2) we have gone to Adventureland first and done Aladdin's Magic Carpet. By the time we walk down Main Street on the first day her excitement has turned to almost-over stimulation with the crowds, noise, sheer immensity of MK.

On our second MK day, first thing, we go to Fantasyland and do Dumbo. By then she is better in step with the whole idea of MK and is fine with all the hustle and bustle.

I forgot to mention this to acquaintenances who were taking their 6 year old to WDW for the first time. Her first ride was Space Mtn, which scared her and put her off any rides for the next couple of days.

I am pretty sure that until we started taking my sister's granddaughter, our first park was usually not MK. More like DHS or Epcot.

Enjoy!

Jan

Darbylew
08-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Small World - can't get that tune out of my head!
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
DECEMBER!! Is it Decemeber yet? I am having a
hard time waiting. :mickey:

BrerSchultzy
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Dumbo again. He was only 6 months old, but he giggled his way through it 3 times before the line got too long.

Just remember, as fun as it is taking your child to WDW for the first time, remember to take pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. We kept forgetting to get the camera out, because we were having so much fun with him.