PDA

View Full Version : What about the ''Future''???

thesplashmountaineer
08-13-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't want to sound nostalgic or anything, but looking at the current map of Epcot, it seems that the ''future'' is gone from Future world.
Soarin', Nemo, test track, imagination pavillion, none of that fits within future world. i love all those attractions but I feel something needs to be done.

What would you do?
bring back the future?
Change the whole theming of this area?
Leave it that way?

Daisy'sMom
08-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I can't agree with you more. It seems that Disney lost Walt's concept of Epcot and now bow to the masses with "awe" rides. I loved the theme of Future World, with Horizons, WOM, and Communicore. I would hope they rethink their path.:mickey:

tiggerbuddy
08-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Couldnt agree more :mickey:
See my post "Why are they ruining Epcot ?"

texas211
08-14-2011, 01:01 AM
I totally agree. I miss Horizons, World of Motion, etc. There is so much they could do to for the future, with themes of transportation, ecology, etc. I miss the educational quality. I loved the class pavilion concepts. The Wonders of Life and Horizons are thought were perfect.

Also, they could use some awe rides, or dark rides, in World Showcase, to make it more interesting.

DizneyRox
08-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Depends on who's future you're talking about, the stockholders or the guests.

DisneyFr33k
08-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Soooooo true!!!! Couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:

WDWForever
08-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by DizneyRox

It seems it's the stockholders future...:secret:

Anyways, I agree that EPCOT is now not what it was meant to be. Futuristic city of tomorrow? Maybe in Innovations, Mission to Mars, and The Land. But in any case, all the rides are enjoyable.

azcavalier
08-15-2011, 08:57 AM

You know, sometimes us stockholders ARE the guests.

jenperich
08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
You know, sometimes us stockholders ARE the guests.

Absolutely!! I like it the way it is now, but I don't remember the way it was, or think that it's the "Future".

Victor Kelly
08-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Well, EPCOT has simply evolved. Yes, it is a departure from the original concept Walt had. But before it was even open, EPCOT was a severe departure from what Walt envisioned. It is and has been a worlds fair more or less. Which is not bad, when you think about it.

Is there any other place you can go and see almost a dozen different cultures? How educational is Mission Space or Soarin' ?

EPCOT had to change, and it still has further to go. I did not appreciate the park until I was in my mid teens. Right when I started to like it, they pulled WoM, and Horizons. Both of which I loved from the beginning when we started going in 1983.

And we have to realize that nowadays, kids are on their cell phones texting and gaming in one of the most diverse resorts on the planet. Everyone's attention span measured in minutes. Things have to change, as much as many of us don't want or need them to.

Daisy'sMom
08-18-2011, 03:32 PM
People have lost their imaginations. I don't think the imagineers could come up with something new for the future like the old Disney people could. :mickey:

MOJoe
08-18-2011, 04:46 PM
People have lost their imaginations. I don't think the imagineers could come up with something new for the future like the old Disney people could. :mickey:

There's a lot to this. But instead of lost imaginations, it seems more to me like people have lost their sense of discovery. Or maybe they have lost the ability to appreciate what new imaginations and discoveries may come.
Most folks fall into the "Forget the education, there is too much to think about already. Just entertain me." camp. And Epcot, despite it's original focus, is happy to oblige.

indytraveler
08-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Epcot is/has evolved into a Theme Park with rides. When I first went there in the early '80's, 1/2 the countries pavillions were under construction. I was a High Schooler back then and wanted nothing to do with the park and didn't start going again until the early 2000's. Once they made the change to having some "thrill" rides did I consider it my 2nd favorite park behind the MK.

Update the Wonders of Life pavillion with 21st C. medicine and etc. for Body Wars, etc. would be my improvements for the Park.

RBrooksC
08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Well, again, people look back at the past with a "sigh." You know, "Furture World" is just a name. Like Epcot is no longer an acronym.

I really am glad they have done. I enjoy it. To be honest, I don't think I would want to go through "World of Motion" again. It was good for its time but much of what Epcot was is now rather quaint.

If you tried to keep it as "future," you would always falling behind and failing. Take a look at Disney Quest. Everything there is well past it's prime. For Epcot to keep being "Future" the turn over in rides and pavilions would be beyond what Disney would want to spend.

And YES, it is about the Stockholders. Without the Stockholders there is no Disney. I love how everybody wants to spend Disney's money but they never consider to what a pubically-held corporation is beholden.

Disney Hungarian
08-18-2011, 09:19 PM
There has been quite a bit of talk on this thread. Lots of opinions, business philosophies and so forth. Therefore I feel right at home tossing mine into the pile.

I think we need to look back at the past. At what EPCOT was intended to be. At what EPCOT was when it opened. And the progression to what it is today. That information allows us to make an informed decision as to what it may be in the near future. Epcot is on a path. As all things are. Change is natural and is happening and will continue regardless. I do like Epcot. I am not happy with it's path. I miss Horizons. Do I want them to build it over again? No. I want them to build something else that will inspire the deep feelings so many people have for that now extinct ride. I want them to create new experiences that will cause thousands of people to e-mail in protest when they tear it down. Then I want them to build something better in it's place. That is a positive change. I don't see that happening so much anymore at Epcot.

Thank you for allowing me to get that off my chest.

texas211
08-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Well, again, people look back at the past with a "sigh." You know, "Furture World" is just a name. Like Epcot is no longer an acronym.

I really am glad they have done. I enjoy it. To be honest, I don't think I would want to go through "World of Motion" again.

Ironic you have the black and white mickey avatar :)

I miss the acronym too. I still think they could have the more entertaining rides, but simply theme it to dreams of the future. It took 30 years many of the past dreams to become reality. Seems like a decent amount of separation. We still don't have underwater cities.

dnickels
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I was more of a fan of the 'old' Epcot than I am of the 'new' one, I get that the tastes of consumers have changed, Disney needs to do what it takes to get gate counts up, etc, but I still liked the older one better.

You could analyze any of the individual rides that have left or changed, but to me the most stark example is The Living Seas. A look at some of the changes there...
-the initial introductory/educational video is gone altogether
-the hydrolators going in are gone altogether
-the sea cabs that used to give you a view of the tanks from both sides as well as overhead have been replaced by one way facing cabs that are focused on a show about Nemo
-the hydrolators going out of the place have literally been replaced with a gift shop.

When I was a kid I actually thought we were going underwater when we got in those hydrolators because you had to take them both to get in and out of the pavilion. It was an immersive (no pun intended) experience that's gone now in exchange for a product tie-in. The video that used to teach a few basics about the creation of the seas is gone so that educational aspect is no more.

Again, I get why all those things have changed, but in my perfect little world I liked the old way better. :twocents: In fairness I'm also a science/engineering type so the science-y aspect of things may have appealed to me more than it did most kids.

dreadpirateemily
08-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I too am the scienc-y type, and ironically, we are generally the first to break new ground.. out with the old and all that. Regardless, I too just love the aesthetic of Walt's vision of the future. In that vein, if I could be THE ECPOT imagineer for a day, I would design the following:

Exhibit: Life on the Moon - How would it be to build colonies on our little satellite? Build housing, show the view from the front porch, looking at Earth. play with the idea of a space elevator, or cargo shuttles.
Ride: Life in Atlantis - similar to 20,000 Leagues, but you get to dock and then walk around the house under the sea.
Getting Around - enclosed pavilion where we can get "driving lessons" and operate the transport of the future: a city with traffic lanes layered into the sky - hovercraft, heli-cars, water-cars, tubes, next generation segueways.. if it seems remotely viable as an alternative transportation, build it!

Mogie
08-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah I dont get it really. There is so much space and so many pavilions that desperately need a reboot. Test Track, mission to mars and Soarin are pretty cool, and SpaceShip Earth will always be the relic classic. But to be honest I really wouldnt miss anything else. I think theres a huge opportunity here. I guess they invested so much in Fantasy Land and at California Adventure that maybe an Epcot Reboot is low on the list...

ryca1dreams
08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I commented on Tiggerbuddy's post also. I too think Future World has lost its focus and it needs to gain it back. That does not mean reviving lost attractions, as cool as they may have been. It does not mean turning it into a World's Fair atmosphere.

Many people have used terms like discovery, imagination, inspiration, and innovation. Yes, people are in constant contact around the world and today's technology is obsolete tomorrow, but what about the "what ifs"? That's what Future World should be about: science/technology + discovery + imagination.