PDA

View Full Version : Tables in Wonderland or DDP??

thatkindofday
08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
We are taking 3 trips to the World between now and the end of the year and hopefully one next Feb/March. We had planned on doing the DDP, but are considering doing the Tables in Wonderland card instead. My reasoning for it is that we wouldn't order dessert/sodas with every meal and we almost always end up with extra snacks the we don't use and we end up getting candy at the resort before we leave to go home. In Sept and Dec, we had planned on doing the orignal dining plan and in Nov, we had planned on the Deluxe dining plan. From what I can tell, the only TS places we are eating at the don't qualify for the TIW card are Yak and Yeti and Teppan Edo. My question is...is there really that big of a savings difference between the two? Also, in trying to figure out the savings, I'm trying to figure out prices for the buffets. Has anyone recently been to the following buffets that knows the prices and can help me out? All adult prices... 'Ohana for dinner; Cape May Cafe for dinner; Crystal Palace for Breakfast; Crystal Palace for Lunch; Boma for dinner; and Chef Mickey's for Breakfast. Thanks!!

Strmchsr
08-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Our family eats similar to what you described - we don't do drinks (prefer water) and only occasionally get 1 dessert to split. The TIW discount is the much better deal for us. The DDP is an okay thing if you like to eat a LOT of food, but the snack credits we don't usually use and we're uncomfortably full most days. So, the TIW has actually saved a lot of money.

CP is $30.88 for lunch and $28.75 for breakfast. Gratuity is not included in that price (though tax is) and the TIW card adds an automatic 18% tip regardless of your party size.

Ohana is $32.99 for dinner, Chef Mickey's is $35.14 for breakfast, Boma is $39.40 for dinner, and Cape May is $42.59 for dinner.

WDWForever
08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
We normally do the deluxe (yeah I eat a lot). We've figured we can add in a couple of signature dining (2 credit) and use our snack options for breakfast or lunch. We've always had extra snack credits so we go crazy at the MK Confectionery and take home a bunch of packaged goods for family and friends. We've always gone home with zero credit balance. You have to take into account with the DDP you also get the free mugs. So it will all depend on how you use it.

thatkindofday
08-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I think our biggest deal breaker may be that we have 2 people going with us that have never been before. We don 't know how they are going to eat and we are paying for their food and we don't want to set any restrictions on them. Thanks for all the information. It was greatly appreciated!

VWL Mom
08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I save my receipts and have checked how we made out TIW vs DDP and TIW has won out every trip. Half of our dining is usually Signature dining which would cost 2TS and add to your cost on DDP, like you we don't really eat desserts but like appetizers or salads with our meals, and we like adult beverages or wine with our meal.

In you case where you are taking and paying for others, consider they may want an appetizer or salad, that would be an OOP cost on the DDP.

Before our very 1st TIW trip, I looked at all my ressies and checked the menus picking out what we would order. Then ran the numbers.

BugeyedMuggy
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
We also have done both DDP and are currently TIW members and have always saved more with the TIW. We always felt we had to order the most expensive dish and eat desset to get our $$$'s worth. Now we go where we want and eat what we want. We have found many new restaurant we have enjoyed more due to OOP.

Friend of Figment
08-13-2011, 04:09 PM
As an aside - Yak and Yeti has an annual pass discount and DVC discount. It's not as much as TIW, but every little bit counts.

HoosierDisneyFan
08-13-2011, 04:25 PM
We also have done both DDP and are currently TIW members and have always saved more with the TIW. We always felt we had to order the most expensive dish and eat desset to get our $$$'s worth. Now we go where we want and eat what we want. We have found many new restaurant we have enjoyed more due to OOP.

Interesting, in a way I feel just the opposite...I love the "prepaid" feature of DDP. That way I can order the most expense item on the menu and get the dessert and not worry about the cost (since it is prepaid). We generally do not order a dessert normally when we eat out but for our week at WDW we do. We are on vacation and want to splurge! Without DDP, we would likely be eating mainly at CS restuarants and missing out on much the WDW has to offer.

BugeyedMuggy
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Many times the most expensive meal is not the one we want and we are more an appitizer lover than a dessert. Getting the room discount and using TIW we found we were able to stay at deluxe resorts more often. We also enjoy wine with our dinner and are able to get 20% off on the alchol. We get gift cards when we have the extra during the year to pay for our meals.