PDA

View Full Version : California Grill questions?

pdrlkr
08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
We are thinking about trying The California Grill on our trip in Jan. How is the food? Can you watch the fireworks from inside? Is it worth 2 meals on the Dinning plan? :mickey:

disneydeb
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
We are trying it in October:party:

Itchy
08-10-2011, 05:13 PM
We are thinking about trying The California Grill on our trip in Jan. How is the food? Can you watch the fireworks from inside? Is it worth 2 meals on the Dinning plan? :mickey:

The answers are simple, yes you can watch the fireworks from inside or the observation deck even if you have early ADR's. They will allow you to come back and see the fireworks from there.

The food is great. My lady friend and I will be going back the week of labor day and looking forward to the dining. This will be about my 8th visit and have never been disapointed in the food or service.

This leads me to your last question. Yes I feel it is worth the visit and 2 credits. Enjoy:mickey:

Hope this helps...

SBETigg
08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I love it. It's one of my favorite WDW restaurants. If you're a basic meat and potatoes type, it might not be for you. If you like creative cuisine, you will definitely be happy. The sushi, the flatbreads, the cheese plate, Sonoma goat cheese ravioli, all so good. The entrees, all amazing. Desserts, also fantastic (partial to the valrhona chocolate cake). And the view? Breathtaking! The food and service at almost all of the Signature restaurants is a notch or several above the regular dining at WDW, and I almost always find it worth it. It is at California Grill, for us.

Even you don't get a window seat overlooking the fireworks. All the views are pretty spectacular, and you can catch the fireworks from the observation deck (which is an even better view than the tables inside, if you ask me). Just make sure you know the timing of the fireworks and head out ten minutes or so in advance instead of waiting for the announcement, which will bring out the crowds. Enjoy!

Arielfan98
08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Yes, you can view fireworks from there and the steaks there are delicious :eat:

buzznwoodysmom
08-10-2011, 06:40 PM
We dined there for the first time in March and so far its been our best meal in WDW. We are going back to WDW in Dec. and have an ADR at CG again. Everything was excellent, from the food, desserts, and drinks, to the service, and view. Definitely worth 2 TS credits, although we paid out of pocket for it. We weren't on the dining plan at the time.

Our table wasn't at a window, but we could see a bit of the castle from our seats. The view of Wishes from the outdoor balcony was amazing. Even with a window table I think we'd still choose to go out to see it.

In March it was just DH and I, and it was a very romantic evening. This time we are taking the kids because one of first things we both said after watching Wishes from that balcony was "the kids would have really enjoyed this".

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

EpcotFan182
08-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I love the California Grill! The food never fails to please and is always delicious. I love the fact that you have the option to go outside and watch the fireworks. The food is incredible and definitely worth 2 dining plan credits!

hauntedmansiongirl
08-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Definitely go if you can! We still have cravings for the "oak fired filet of beef!" It is honestly to die for and one of the best steaks that we've ever eaten.

It's worth splurging for one of their flatbreads as well. There are so many amazing ingredients in them.

Have a great time!! :mickey:

RAIDER
08-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Another vote for you to go there and it will be an experience you will never forget . We went there for the first time last year and were booked to go back in there again .It was worth every penny as we were lucky enough to see the fireworks as well ...Have agreat time :thumbsup::marg:

big blue and hairy
08-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Fantastic, yes, & yes! :D

:sulley:

EpcotChic23
08-12-2011, 09:25 AM
yes....Yes......YES!!!!!!!! We just ate there in May and we all loved it. My personal fav. in the world.

joonyer
08-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Love the California Grill! :thumbsup:

pdrlkr
08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks to all who responded! We will be booking for sure! :thumbsup: :mickey:

disneykidsince1970
08-17-2011, 07:13 AM
another vote for a YES!! good point by someone that it is a more sophisticated menu....but you can always go for dessert if the dinner menu isn't for you.

The ambience is just fun - there is an open kitchen, servers are friendly and fun, there is a "buzz" in the air - people celebrating all sorts of occasions - everyone in a great mood - the bartenders are always fun too! and can make great wine suggestions (the wine menu is extensive).

Enjoy!!

RBrooksC
08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
This is a great place to eat. I have heard mixed reviews say that the reason it is so highly rated is because of the view.

I cannot say I agree with that. I think the view is a bonus. We went for the second time to the CG in May. We met some friends for a dinner. I mentioned it was their anniversary and they sprinkled confetti on the table and brought them out a slice of cake.

The apps of flatbread were great. We got two plates of it and shared it among the four of us. And then three of us got the Oak-fired beef. I cannot remember what the fourth meal was. The portions were perfect. Just enough to feel like you have eaten but not so much that you were stuffed.

We also ordered wine and the server did the initial pour perfectly.

With my dessert, I ordered Port and he recommended the Tawney Port, which I was going to order anyway, so that was a good thing. When he brought the bottle to the table, he realized there was about a glass and a 1/2 left, so he just left me the bottle and told me to finish it. While a 1/2 of a glass isn't much, it was nice he did that.

And, as with a meal of this sort, time got away from us. We ended up eating an hour longer than we expected. So, we got to see Wishes from our table.

I am guessing as another perk for their anniversary, we got seated at a prime center of the room window table. Perfect view of the MK and Seven Seas Lagoon.

The next time we visit, we will send the kids to the Neverland Club and have dinner there again.

moe513
08-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Ate there last week and were extremely disappointed. I had a scallop dish that was so salty I couldnt eat it It was awful. I told the server and he said very little. Just made me mad. He wasnt that good of a server to brgin with. My husband had a filet that was just okay.

The fireworks were the best part but thay look off center. I think because of the way they let them off to make it look like there behind the castle (when you are looking at them fron Main st) When you look at them from the Cali Grill alot of them look like there over space mtn.

Im glad we tried it but we wont be back!!!!!!!