PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Questions?

Arielfan98
08-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Alright besides the magical ""Por favor, mantenganse allejado de las puertas"
Does anyone notice the certain smell on the monorail? I always notice I whenever I'm on them and it really makes me feel like I'm at Disney.
Does the scent come from the cleaning material they use?
And did Disney stop allowing people to sit in the front with the driver because of the monorail crash that occured a few years ago? Did you ever get to sit in the front? I did when I was little and it was wonderful :)

Strmchsr
08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
I usually only smell sweaty guests on the monorail, but, yes, I know what you're talking about. I'm sure it is an intentionally chosen smell.

The front is now off-limits due to the fatal crash. I doubt sitting up front will ever return due to liability, unfortunately.

kakn7294
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I know that scent and while it's distinctly Disney monorail, I think it stinks! I don't think it's an intentionally chosen smell, I just think it smells electrical in nature.

We rode in the front of the monorail just a few years ago. It was pretty cool.

sassafras
08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I agree it stinks-I've always thought the monorail smelled like a nasty cat's litter box! We rode up front once. DH loved it, I felt kind of weird looking out and just seeing that thin rail in front of you as you move along. It was kind of neat to do it, but I can understand why it was discontinued.

disneydeb
08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
We've ridden up front a few times. My girls loved it. The smell first thing in the morning is great, but by the end of the day it gets stinky, to me anyway,

:mickey:

Arielfan98
08-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I agree it stinks-I've always thought the monorail smelled like a nasty cat's litter box! We rode up front once. DH loved it, I felt kind of weird looking out and just seeing that thin rail in front of you as you move along. It was kind of neat to do it, but I can understand why it was discontinued.

It's weird because everyone seems to have terrible memories of the smell on the monorail. Whenever I'm on the monorail I don't smell sweat and I hope not to in the future. I don't know how to describe the smell. Anyway, yeah being in the front was kind of weird but cool. It's a shame they don't allow it anymore. :(

brownie
08-11-2011, 09:42 AM
We rode up front once, and it was a great experience.

Since the questions that started this thread aren't related to accommodations, I'm going to send this discussion to the Theme Parks forum.

disneykidsince1970
08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
This may be way more info than anyone wants to know but I'm an engineer so here's what I think that smell is...

You'll notice that the smell is very similar to the scent of certain rides (think sitting down on Space Mountain or Fantasyland). The doors of the monorail are run on a pneumatic system which uses pressurized air to open/close the doors. Disney uses pneumatics all over the place. Compressed air by nature isn't necessarily stinky but when you remove the moisture (prevent corrosion) and add a little oil (lubrication) you have the makings for a strange mechanical smell.

Now I'm not positive that's what we're all smelling, but it seems logical.

Nikki:mickey:

DNS
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I always notice the exact same smell and fortunately, it has never smelled like body odor to me. It do not really smell like a cleaning product either, so I have no idea, but it always smells exactly the same. Some type of mechanical smell just might be the answer.

Aurora
08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't claim at all to know what the smell is, but I do know it didn't always smell like that. At one time it had the same pleasant, air-conditioning smell similar to the resorts when you walked in.

When the smell changed, people said it was either the carpeting or adhesive used to attach the carpeting that caused the Animal Kingdom-like scent.

I do miss the old smell...

crltkcagle
08-11-2011, 08:23 PM
This may be way more info than anyone wants to know but I'm an engineer so here's what I think that smell is...

You'll notice that the smell is very similar to the scent of certain rides (think sitting down on Space Mountain or Fantasyland). The doors of the monorail are run on a pneumatic system which uses pressurized air to open/close the doors. Disney uses pneumatics all over the place. Compressed air by nature isn't necessarily stinky but when you remove the moisture (prevent corrosion) and add a little oil (lubrication) you have the makings for a strange mechanical smell.

Now I'm not positive that's what we're all smelling, but it seems logical.

Nikki:mickey:

Good info! Thanks!

wdwaggie
08-12-2011, 08:19 AM
We rode in the front from EPCOT to the TTC and since no one was waiting to ride, we rode back to EPCOT. We got the monorail operator license and the kids loved it. Shame that this option is not likely to return.

wdwfansince75
08-12-2011, 08:57 AM
About the smell....to me, as with most of WDW, it is subtle, but distinct. The resultant air is a mix of the internal air, as described by Disneykidsince70, the external air, and "scented air"...the mix of scents for riders, from carpets, and from cleaning materials...all filtered, and possibly added to by scented filters or sprays...subtle but distinct...riding the monorail has long been a valued family experience for us.

Over the years, I tried to get up front with kids or grandkids on virtually every trip...(they all suspect I was doing it for myself...and I was) The TTC-EPCOT trip for opening is special...the vista of EPCOT from the monorail cab is priceless! I miss it now that it is no longer available.

Victor Kelly
08-12-2011, 11:56 AM
When the monorails are not in override mode it is perfectly safe for people to be in the cab. The crash was a multitude of factors that came together in a very unfortunate conclusion.

But yes, they have a mechanical, wet A/C smell combined with the odors of the people who have no clue what deoderant is, mechanics, electricity and air freshener.

Give me the orange grove smell from Horizons any day!:number1:

Mousemates
08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Does anyone notice the certain smell on the monorail? I always notice I whenever I'm on them and it really makes me feel like I'm at Disney.

Yes, we have noticed it and it also agree it has a very distinctive "disneyness" to it.

As for riding in the front of the monorail, we have probably done it with a high degree of frequency...typically riding up front at least once on each trip that we have made since we started going on a pretty regular basis. Once we found out that all we had to do was ask (and occasionally be willing to wait for the next car), we were hooked. Some great memories, sad it is likely over for good.

tennantsrwe
08-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Ahh yes, the distinct monorail smell. I personally don't think it stinks. We tend to go when it's cold tho so I guess people aren't sweating to much...thank goodness!! Def. one of those 'I'm in Disney' smells...we love it!!

seanyred
08-13-2011, 08:36 AM
I am one that loves the smell of the monorail. If its crowded the smell can be bad but that's not the monorails fault. Some people don't believe in deodorant :sick:

As for riding up front I have done it several times and what makes me the most sad is that my kids (who weren't even thought of when we last rode up front) won't be able to experience the ride in the cockpit. As long as they didn't have passengers up front during opening and closing I don't see what the problem would be. But as usual lawyers take the fun out of life.

Also for another smell I like, Its the smell of the cleaner they use for the bathrooms. Not sure what it is but its a very pleasant smelling cleaner.

Melanie
08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
The monorail smell isn't very pleasant, but it doesn't bother me too much. I will admit in the past few years after the accident and a few instances of stoppage, I'm often on there thinking I wouldn't want to be stuck with that smell for very long though. :sick:

texas211
08-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Smells like the residue of sweat, sun block and lotion..

RavsRuleDisney!
08-13-2011, 12:05 PM
i've always looked forward to the many aromas you get when at disney, including the monorail scent (whatever it actually is). i also get a special kick when i'm not at our "second home" and i get a whiff of something and immediately think DISNEY!! Ahhhh.... :thumbsup:

mousetrapper
08-14-2011, 01:28 PM
I think the Monorail smells like a cross between new carpeting, carpeting adhesive and the monkey house at the zoo. ;)

As for riding in the first car, we were lucky enough to do so a few times and enjoyed it very much.

disneykidsince1970
08-15-2011, 05:46 AM
This is so funny... my sister and I share a userid and she was the engineer explanation earlier in the thread..

I recall 8 or 9 years ago when she and I were living together in St Louis, i had to go to a occupational rehab facility to work on my knee. Everytime I walked into the lobby area, I smelled Disney!! It reminded me of Peter Pan, Mr Toad - basically, Fantasy Land.

One day, I grabbed Nikki and drove her to the office so she could smell it. We walked into the lobby and I was grinning and nodding as if to say, "See? See?.... What does this smell remind you of?"

And she said, "Machines...... at Disney!"

So... the Disney-freak enginner smells "Machines at Disney".

I am not an engineer and I smell "Disney machines".
:)

*incidentally, i never figured out what machines we were smelling in the lobby of this building but it was most definitelly that same smell!!

love ya Nik!

Ed
08-15-2011, 07:49 AM
I think the Monorail smells like a cross between new carpeting, carpeting adhesive and the monkey house at the zoo. ;)

I always thought it smelled like the elephant house. :elephant:

We rode up front a few times; it was enjoyable, but in the summer it tended to get pretty warm in there with that huge sloping windshield.

BugeyedMuggy
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
It smells like they spent the night before haulling goats.

LauraByTheSea
08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I love that machiney-mechanicy-electricy smell... Never have smelled any sweaty smell though. Maybe because I was just as stinky? LOL

We rode up front once too... I walked up to the CM and asked and he lead us right to the loading area and DH and mom were like "What are you doing? Where are you going?". I said "just follow me... *WINK*"