PDA

View Full Version : crystal palace

locutus
08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Disney is really getting crazy with their food pricing. My parents took my kids to Disney and the ate at Crystal Palace yesterday for breakfast. Talked to them last night and they said it cost 125 (inc tip) for breakfast. 2 adults 2 kids. For eggs bacon and some french toast 125 bucks. That used to be amust on our trips. Theyve just outlived there usefullness for breakfast now. Time to start bringing cereal to the rooms for breakfast.

retiredfigment
08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
First, Crystal Palace is a character breakfast and so it is more. Secondly, it is a buffet. We never go there if we want a light breakfast. Only go if we are going to brunch. Then it is comparable to what you would pay for lunch or dinner buffet. Unfortunately, since they instituted free dining, most of the restaurants are overpriced in MHO.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I just saw where Disney raised their prices on all buffets. I think dinner at Crystal Palace is around $45.00 for an adult now.

kevinsmom29
08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
wow i didnt know it was that expensive now. i am on the dining plan so we are going to CP for the wonderful buffet and of course the characters...:mickey:

locutus
08-14-2011, 03:03 AM
retredfigment...buffet or not. Breakfast with or without characters, should not cost over 100 dollars fir 2 adults and 2 kids. My parents are suckers for my kids. Last year, it cost that much for me my wife and kids and parents. If i were there this year, after sitting down and seeing the prices, i would have walked out and gotten a muffin from the bakery on main st..

DisneyFr33k
08-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Time to start bringing cereal to the rooms for breakfast.

That's what we do. Quick breakfast in the room and save our appetite for a good lunch or dinner.

Crystal Palace, in our humble opinions, is no better than our local cafeteria chain - minus the characters. We found we could find the characters in the park for free. So not worth the price.

January-2007
08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah we saw the new prices for Crystal Palace last week and I started to get serious sticker shock from all our ADRs because the prices have gone up so much since we were there last, only a year ago. I think we will be passing by on a lot of restaurants we might have gone to if not for a $10 price increase per person. We'll have a full kitchen so we can probably eat better at our condo anyway, it's just so fun to get into the park early!

joonyer
08-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Crystal Palace current pricing for breakfast is $26.99 for adults and $14.99 for children under 10. So if your folks paid $125 for breakfast they gave a very healthy tip ($41.00), unless the kids are 10 and over. Still high for breakfast, even if it is a character buffet breakfast.

LudwigVonDrake
08-15-2011, 06:12 AM
If only the food quality was that high :rolleyes:

Tigger's Mom
08-15-2011, 08:22 AM
We only do 2 character meals per trip. This is always one of them. We've never been disppointed in the food with taste, quality or amount. When we do this breakfast, we usually skip lunch and opt for an early dinner (about 4-4:30). On our other days, it's cereal in the room. I find most meals more expensive at Disney than what I would pay at home. I have to look past that or I'll have indigestion for my entire vacation. I will say that the cost of the dinner buffets coupled with the fact that we wouldn't eat that much for dinner discourages me from going to one of those. I can justify the couple breakfasts though. This is why they have so many hotels and restaurants/food courts, in different price ranges, so they can appeal to more people.

TheDuckRocks
08-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I have read that the new price increases that started this month are:
$30.88 adult & $17.03 children (3-9) including tax at Tusker House, Hollywood & Vine, Crystal Palace and Cape May
$35.14 adult & $19.16 children (3-9) including tax at Chef Mickey
$26.62 adult & $14.90 children (3-9) including tax at 1900 Park Fare
$24.49 adult & $13.84 children (3-9) including tax at Boma
Outrageous!!!
On our first trip to WDW in Dec. 2005 we "splurged" on breakfast with Donald at AK because I had to see The Duck. I'm pretty sure the cost was $14.99 for an adult at that time. I know the economy has tanked and the cost of living has sky rocketed but this kind of increase still seems excessive to me.

Hull-onian
08-15-2011, 02:43 PM
We didn't like the Crystal Palace. It just wasn't good.

DVC Dad
08-17-2011, 06:14 AM
IMO, any breakfast at any Disney restaurant is a waste of money. Get breakfast elsewhere (we eat in our resort room being DVCers).

MarkC
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
For those of you that are complaining about Disney prices, have you been to Arbys' or Wendy's lately? Have you eaten out anywhere? The cost of grain, etc. is high and food prices everywhere are high. If you don't want to pay those prices don't eat there.

Joannelet
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
It is true that character breakfasts are expensive. There is no doubt about that. Crystal palace was disgusting when we were there in May....:ill: We won't be going back but we also went there on the dining plan so I didn't see the price of the breakfast. Honestly I didn't even eat I was so grossed out with the food. (neither did my hubby)
But again it is all a matter of opinion and I think that everyone in their lifetime should at least do one character breakfast...after that eat in the room :) It saves a lot of money and you eat what you like. I love being a DVC'r because I can do this with ease when we are there.
Anywhere you go food is expensive and character breakfasts are expensive in Disney. (no doubt about it).

epceddie
08-18-2011, 01:11 AM
For those of you that are complaining about Disney prices, have you been to Arbys' or Wendy's lately? Have you eaten out anywhere? The cost of grain, etc. is high and food prices everywhere are high. If you don't want to pay those prices don't eat there.

Wendy's? They have a value menu with items priced at 99 cents. You can get a hamburger, a small chili, and a soda for under $4.

epceddie
08-18-2011, 01:16 AM
The only reason I like going to Crystal Palace is being able to walk up Main Street USA when it's practically deserted. Makes for great photos. Don't know when I'll be doing that again though, because the new price increases are a bit much. Disney keeps raising prices without increasing quality. The food at CP is ordinary at best. I've had breakfasts just as good at Denny's and Perkins.
Until people wise up a little and stop going, the prices will continue to go up.

MOJoe
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree with several points made here. Disney really is getting crazy with their ever increasing food prices. And character breakfasts in general offer the least value in all of Disney Dining. Over a $100 for breakfast? I choke up here at home if i pay over $40 for my family of 4. But that's home, and not Disney World. I expect to pay more there.
I must say, the one character breakfast i did try, Cape May, with Beach Donald, Goofy and Minnie, was fun. I enjoyed it and the food. But still, when i got the bill, i decided once was enough.

diz_girl
08-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm seriously considering canceling my breakfast ADRs for Crystal Palace, 'Ohana and Boma this November. I'm not sure if I'll keep a single one. I can afford it, but this is ridiculous.

At first, I thought that $125 was an anomaly, but I don't think it is, going by TheDuckRocks's rates. What they're charging for breakfast at CP now is more than what I was charged for dinner at 'Ohana four years ago.

So for a CP breakfast for my family (2 adults, 1 4yo and 1 infant), it will cost about $70 before tax and tip and about $95 after tax & tip. FOR BREAKFAST! While I have had no problem in the past with character meals and other buffets costing more than a similar meal would at home, this is exhorbitant.

There is going to be a lot of sticker shock and angry people who don't know that a meal at these places is this expensive until the get the bill at the end of their meal.

This is a money grab, plain and simple. It looks like the era of Meg Crofton is rearing its head yet again.

Daisy'sMom
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Wendy's? They have a value menu with items priced at 99 cents. You can get a hamburger, a small chili, and a soda for under $4.

Ditto!
Disney is pricing families out. Greed! I hope Walt is frozen, cuz if he isn't, he's spinning in his grave.:ack:

lettripp
08-18-2011, 04:08 PM
We've noticed this problem... so on our recent trip we grabbed a big bag of multigrain bales from Dunkin' on the way in and at those with peanut butter and cream cheese instead of going out. Would much rather splurge on Dinner than Breakfast!

jonahbear2006
08-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Last time we were at boma i think it was $39.00 for an adult so i dont even think those prices are high enough to be completely correct. The grand floridian cafe has a lovely menu with great pricing for breakfast. I think the kids menus were $2.50-$3.50 and the adults were $7-$11. I love crystal palace and I agree, their food is not that good, however, If it costs me $130 to walk down main street with my family before the park opens, I have already given Disney $4000 on average for a trip, so that little bit of extra money so that we can feel like the park belongs to us for a minute is worth every dime! Besides, I am a vegetarian so I eat mostly fresh fruit and such off the breakfast there. ;-)

mydisneygirls
08-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I've been looking for a place for one morning because it is DD's birthday. I noticed that Whispering Canyon (WL) had an all-u-can eat skillet for $15.99 per person. That isn't too bad!

locutus
08-19-2011, 02:08 AM

I have been been to wendys ( no arbys near me) . Have you Markc? Could feed a family of 4 for what it costs for 1 person there. And I wont be eating there in November when my wife and I are there for our anniversary. Canceled our reservations today. The "cost of grain etc" dosent justify a fifty percent increase.