PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Beach? Your opinions please!

Tink#64
08-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Myself, DH & 2 teenage DS's are taking a road trip! Planning to start with Niagra Falls, both US side & Canada! Then onto Manhattan, NY for a couple of days, possibly visiting the Philly area & then looking for a low key beach to realax & unwind before coming home. It's a little out of the way, but after doing some research, some of the beaches I was previously looking into seem a little too busy & touristy for us. I really am liking the look of Virginia Beach & the boardwalk, it sounds very low key which I think we'd appreciate after our whirlwind trip, but still offers some diversions after a day at the beach. besides the boardwalk, another thing that grabbed my attention, were the Old & New Cape Henry Lighthouses!

I'm really trying to do my homework for our first ever real ROADTRIP :woohoo:, so any feedback would be appreciated. The info on the web isn't the same as real life experiences!

disney obsessed
08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I live here. What do you want to know?

baldburke
08-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Personally, and no offense but, VA Beach never really comes across to me as beachy. If you are in the area I would recommend Ocean City, NJ, Cape May, NJ, Rehoboth, DE or Ocean City, MD. OC NJ and MD are both family friendly with lots for kids to do. Cape May has lots of history and Rehoboth is the nation's summer capital. Good luck!

Tink#64
08-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Ok, I have to plead absolute ignorance on all of these beaches except for the info I've garnered from some travel books & the web. Originally I'd planned on Ocean City, MD. BUT, all the I've found is either olderhotels (which would be ok, we're not picky snobby types) or really more expensive with alot imposing a 3 night minimum. It also "sounds like" a more touristy spot & web cam shots make it looked packed! Ocean City, NJ, first is dry, hmm well DH & I aren't big drinkers, but we do partake & on vacation we definitely like to relax with an adult beverage! I've read that it used to be more low key but that it is really becoming more like OC MD. Again, this is all what I'm getting secondhand! When I came across VB, it just looked like a nice relaxing beach, where we could enjoy the beach & have a little down time, but still some tourist shops, putt putt,etc in the evening if we wish.

disney obsessed, what is your experienced opinion of VB? Would it be a relaxing beach stop on our way home? I'd really like an oceanfront hotel, resort not necessary, a pool, and possibly some shops & dining options close by. We've never been to a lighthouse! I thought that prospect was really cool!

I'm not sold on any one beach, any & all help is greatly appreciated! Please don't take any of my comments personally, my knowledge of these places is of course based on other people's opinions! After our busy week of driving & touring, I'd just like a nice beach to unwind & recharge before back home to reality!

LisaP
08-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Shari, your ROAD TRIP sounds like SO much fun!

I live outside Philadelphia and am familiar with the Jersey shore beaches (please do NOT associate them with the ridiculous show lol) and I also know a tad about the DE/MD beaches as well.

First, I would suggest do NOT bypass Philly! The historic area is fantastic (and mostly free since it's part of the National Parks Service). If you plan a pit stop, PM me and I can recommend the must see spots. You can do it in a day.

I would then suggest Cape May, NJ. They have a lighthouse and a beautiful quaint ocean front town with shopping, bed and breakfasts, hotels/motels, and nice restaurants. Ocean City NJ does not have many notable hotels, as it is primarily rentals. It's a cute family town, and yes it is dry. They do have a boardwalk, but the amusements are geared toward smaller children. If your kids are looking for boardwalk amusements, you will have to pit stop in Wildwood, NJ (a few miles north of Cape May). The entire town is reminiscent of the 1950's doo-wop era. Check out Morey's Piers and waterparks and see if it is something that interests you. A weekday pit stop there would be MUCH better than weekend.

From Cape May, you can take the ferry to Lewes, DE (it's an auto ferry, so you could continue your journey from DE). It's a short drive from Lewes to Rehobeth Beach, DE which has a nice beach, a lighthouse and great outlet shopping.

If you want to venture slightly further south, you can head to Ocean City MD for their boardwalk attractions. A short drive from Ocean City MD is Assateague Beach (less than 30 mins). Assateague is a beautiful natural beach -- fully equipped with wild horses! It's quite a sight to see! At least for us east coasters ...

If you do go to Ocean City, MD ... stop by Berlin MD which is a small town a few minutes west. It's a really cute step into the past -- and you may recognize it: it was the filming location for the movies Runaway Bride (with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere) as well as Disney's Tuck Everlasting (Jonathan Jackson).

So that's what I've got on our little pocket of the Delaware Valley and south. Have a wonderful road trip, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

yjgirl32
08-09-2011, 09:21 AM
I love Va Beach over all the Jersey Beaches and OC Md. The boardwalk is very nice and so is the beach- we were just there is July and it was slightly crowded but not as bad as OC Md has been for us in the past. Not too far away from the beach is a really cool "museum" called Living Things Museum. Very nice- enjoy.

disney obsessed
08-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi
I think most beaches are great, which is why I live on one. However, the atmosphere at each beach is kinda like chosing a hotel at Disney. What experience do you want and does it fit your needs?

I love Virginia Beach. It has a very nice boardwalk area where people walk, ride bikes on the bike path and such. It gives access to a bunch of restaurants and places to sit on a rocker and have a drink.(Hilton) There is often music at the differant parks along the boardwalk at night and on Atlantic Avenue. We call it Beach Streets. You may even find a magician on the corner or a acrobat. It is very family friendly. There are "no &%*%^#* "signs and even a group of volunteers to walk around and ask people to behave nicely if they are not.

The further down in street numbers, the more congested it gets. If you want a nice place away from the crowd but still an easy 3 minute drive to the boardwalk, the Wyndam is on 57th and very nice. The boardwalk does not go up that far (it stops on the high 30s) but the beach is great. Locals all go to the northern part of the beach. The hotels from the Hilton (31st st) north are very nice. More like the delux hotels at disney.

It can get crowded. I am thankful for it in the summer because we are a large tourist town and we need it. I choose not to drive on Pacific between 22nd street and 1st in the summer. It is stop and go. I am lucky to know the back roads.

There are plenty of put put places, the aquarium, two small amusement parks (one right of the boardwalk), a pier, kyaking on the ocean, the lighthouses at Fort Story and several other maritime museum places. Norfolk(20min drive) has museums, a battle ship and a baseball team. There is always Busch Gardens and Williamsburg a hour or so drive away. The back bay wildlife refuge is in far southern Virginia Beach (south of Sandbridge) and very isolated and natural.

I don't think you will be disappointed with chosing Virginia Beach. I would chose to stay above 30th. Our native family of dolphin like the northern beaches. We see them everyday at 86th st. But the other day I was on a boat with a friend and saw them in front of the Wyndam.

if you have any other questions, ask away.

Tink#64
08-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Oh my gosh! You guys are the best! I'm taking notes! I've not had a chance to look into it all yet, but I will for sure!

This trip is going to be my undoing! lol I can plan WDW in an evening, I know what's where & what we like! This trip, I know nothing! We're not even going until next summer, but it seems that there are so many decisions to be made so that other choices can be made & then the ressies! We're super excited, but I'm the one doing all the planning & I know we'll have a great time, but not all together sure covering so much ground, what the BEST choices for us are yet.

It will be myself, DH & DS's 14 & 16. By the time we've spent a coupple of days at Niagra Falls - both on US & Canada sides, then a couple of days in New York, I'm hoping to wind down. I'm wanting to visit places that are historic, interesting & have some fun too!

By the time we make it to the beach, I think we'll be ready to relax at the beach & pool most of the day, but have some diversions available to us in the evening. DS's will get bored if we don't DO something! :D It seems our choices are endless! :crazy: