PDA

View Full Version : Theme park books, not tour books.

texas211
08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey, I am looking for some good books about Disney World. About the history, facts, etc. I'm not looking for the Official Guides type stuff. I'm more interested i knowing, how many people ride Space Mountain each year, or how many sets of tires they go through on the Speedway. Or how many guest rooms they have, the history behind the construction of Typhoon Lagoon, etc.

Joannelet
08-07-2011, 04:53 PM
There are a ton of Disney trivia books out there and other books on the history of the parks with little details that you would be interested in. Most of them can be found in the travel section of your bookstore. I will try to get some titles for you as all my books are downstairs. They are not guidebooks so I think you would like them.

Some of them are in diff volumes titled The Ultimate Disney trivia book by Dave Smith and Kevin Neary.

Strmchsr
08-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Well, if you want a book about how the Disney company works and applying to everyday life, I'll put in a shameless plug for my book that was published last spring called The Church Mouse: Leadership Lessons From The Magic Kingdom. :blush:

However, it terms of what you're asking I think the Imagineering books are probably the best, especially the Imagineering Field Guides to each park.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-07-2011, 09:45 PM
:ditto:

Chris' book is awesome, but we LOVE the Imagineering Guides ... I've read them a zillion times and still enjoy them.

The Walt Disney World Trivia Books by Lou Mongello are also a lot of fun.

azcavalier
08-07-2011, 09:53 PM
:ditto:

Chris' book is awesome, but we LOVE the Imagineering Guides ... I've read them a zillion times and still enjoy them.

The Walt Disney World Trivia Books by Lou Mongello are also a lot of fun.

Yep, the Imagineering Guides are probably what you're looking for. Another hearty endorsement here.

John
08-07-2011, 10:11 PM
If you can find it, one of the most interesting books I've ever read on the company was "Storming of the Magic Kingdom" by John Taylor.

Might not fit your bill but I highly recommend it.

It's the tale of how the company was almost torn apart and sold for pieces by corporate raiders. Absolutely fascinating look at how our favorite company almost went down the tubes and ultimately was saved by Roy Disney and Michael Eisner.

You can find it used for about $4

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Storming-the-Magic-Kingdom/John-Taylor/e/9780345354075/?itm=1

Disney is once again a golden name in Hollywood, but three years ago that wasn't the case, prompting a Disney family rift that erupted in a struggle for company control. But what Disney insiders saw as a mismanaged family business looked to Wall Street like a prime takeover candidate; the family squabble set off a chain of events that had such formidable financiers as Saul Steinberg, the Bass Brothers, even Ivan Boesky grappling for keys to the Magic Kingdom. Taylor, of Manhattan Inc., provides a detailed, conference-call-by-conference-call account of the ensuing paper war, in a narrative as fast-paced and exciting as a classic Disney adventure, with the company itself playing the Hayley Mills part: the imperiled, innocent heroine who at the end emerges harried but unharmedand more than a little wiser for the wear. Keeping financial jargon to a minimum, Taylor makes the Byzantine mechanics of contemporary finance easy to follow, shedding light on the takeover phenomenon and on the risks facing companies whose dearest assets are the creative talents of their employees.

ransam
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
there is a trivia book, actually two of them that was written by Lou Mangello? they are full w/ the information you are asking for.